Accepting the fact that I will never obtain a skyscale.

8 hours ago, Gravitron.7982 said:

Yeah, that's how it seems. People appear to be positioning the skyscale grind like it's not a grind at all, and that it's filled with joy and it's super quick....but that doesn't appear to be the case lol

Well, how long did it take you to get the skyscale? 

• Like 2
  • Confused 1

On 5/30/2023 at 3:28 PM, Hycinthus.6483 said:

And with GW2 actively trying to get new players, the answer does not seem to be “please slowly play the game and naturally get it over 10 years

Which is not a point that anyone has been making since, after all, those who got the mount early on after its release did so before the game was ten years old. 5-50 (depending on who you listen to) hours is not ten years.

• Like 3
  • Confused 1

12 hours ago, Gravitron.7982 said:

Yeah, that's how it seems. People appear to be positioning the skyscale grind like it's not a grind at all, and that it's filled with joy and it's super quick....but that doesn't appear to be the case lol

Nah, it's not quick. It takes a while. But taking a while isn't the definition of grind. It takes a while to get to 50 years old, but you don't have to grind to do it. 🙂

• Like 3
  • Confused 1

they have literally decreased the effort and time needed for obtaining it in multiple ways, and there are items that allow you to straight up instantly skip parts.

what more people want? a "get skyscale instantly" button or what?

i am a complete adhd catastrophe with severe struggles with completing tasks for long term goals, because i love getting the dopamine rush right now and not later. and yet it was not that big struggle for me to obtain the skyscale before it was made significantly quicker. sure, it took bit more dedication and work than just mindlessly following the map markers and story, sure, it did get little frustrating occasionally, but it genuinely is not as huge grind and time consuming grand struggle as people keep claiming it to be.

if it feels that bad, do one or two tasks for it per day. or do one part every time you complete story chapter. you do not need to do it all in one sitting. stop staring at the number of steps and treating it as a one whole task. its like pulling up a full list of things you need to do to get from level 1 to the most recent story update, and quitting because its too big of a grind to complete all those steps.

• Like 10

The Skyscale quest line is end game content. It is designed to take time. It's an STD. It gives you "something to do". A good buddy of mine is going for one now. He hits the fatigue wall occasionally and takes a break from it and does other things in game, or other games we play. The consensus in game is "Skyscale takes a while to acquire but it is sooooo worth it.".

I would quit period, if it was removed or nerfed. Hang in there, you'll get it. From one old guy to another, they are worth the grind.

• Like 3
  • Confused 1

On 5/26/2023 at 8:21 PM, vares.8457 said:

It is a completely optional mount.

No it's not.

It's a struggle to keep up without.

I didn't want to get one either because the progress was so awful and dragging. Like the forced time gates (totally useless and just to annoy the player), no guide prepared me to do certain things before starting with the scale. (The game itself is, ofc, unhelpful)
But no having one while like 80% around you has one and uses its advantages while the other struggle, is also awful.

Two awful options. But one will be over, has an end in sight.

I can understand when one loses interest in the game, because I was close too. I had friends to cheer me up and support me.

Been three years since I did the scale and it still triggers my anger when that topic comes up. 😞

• Like 2
  • Confused 12

3 hours ago, Evon Skyfyre.9673 said:

The Skyscale quest line is end game content.

It's not endgame content. Why should that be endgame content? After getting it you are done with the game?

To me the game then actually started. I could finally start to play on equal terms with my friends.

Edited by Lucy.3728
  • Like 1
  • Confused 8

22 minutes ago, Lucy.3728 said:

No it's not.

Yes, it is.

22 minutes ago, Lucy.3728 said:

It's a struggle to keep up without.

People in front of the "trains" usually aren't the ones that are just "camping skyscales", so the issue here isn't what you apparently think it is.

• Like 5
  • Confused 3

6 hours ago, Vayne.8563 said:

Nah, it's not quick. It takes a while. But taking a while isn't the definition of grind. It takes a while to get to 50 years old, but you don't have to grind to do it. 🙂

Well of course you do, how else are you going to eat enough food to make it 50 years?

• Confused 5
  • Sad 1

59 minutes ago, vares.8457 said:

It’s not. 

Actually, it can be. But that's only if people have not learned to effectively use the other mounts, because they rush to get the most pre-Dragonflight WoW-style flying mount.

That said, I can't use the Beetle or Griffon especially well either, but I had no big issues using the Bunny and Raptor (both of which I think I can use decently well) to keep up in Dragonfall.

But rushing towards the mount that feels the most like the old flying mount style of a different game already tells a lot of how these people likely think about GW2's mounts.

Edited by Fueki.4753
  • Like 2
  • Confused 3

8 hours ago, Ledi.9742 said:

they have literally decreased the effort and time needed for obtaining it in multiple ways, and there are items that allow you to straight up instantly skip parts.

True.

If we change the way people take the mount , then the food that is sold in the TP will be useless .

Something like auto-lfg and sellers

Edited by Killthehealersffs.8940
  • Like 1
  • Haha 2
  • Confused 4

3 hours ago, Fueki.4753 said:

Actually, it can be. But that's only if people have not learned to effectively use the other mounts, because they rush to get the most pre-Dragonflight WoW-style flying mount.

That said, I can't use the Beetle or Griffon especially well either, but I had no big issues using the Bunny and Raptor (both of which I think I can use decently well) to keep up in Dragonfall.

But rushing towards the mount that feels the most like the old flying mount style of a different game already tells a lot of how these people likely think about GW2's mounts.

So it's not a game's issue, it's the player issue. More specifically it's a player issue for players who aim at minimizing their own interaction with the game, which is hardly a good basis for a change. And the claim about not being able to keep up with others without skyscale remains false too.

• Like 5
  • Confused 2

On 5/26/2023 at 3:02 PM, OldManWhat.5083 said:

Let me first start this off by saying if you have a sky scale you are really cool, and good job! But do you think the developers overestimated how much time and effort a player would want to put in before getting completely burned out and/or frustrated with the game entirely? One look at the requirements and it makes me not only never want a sky scale but makes me want to quit the game altogether thinking to myself "This is what I have to do to unlock flying a dragon?". I know 3 people (including my guild leader) who just recently got their sky scale but are now playing other games because right after getting their dragon they needed a break from guild wars 2. I just got The Ascension wings after playing on and off since launch and I'm happy with them. The sky scale looks really cool, but I'd rather spend my time playing guild wars 2 instead of grinding for a new way to move around the world. To be honest not having one makes me not want to PvE at all in the open world. I hope I don't get flamed for my opinion because I really love GW2 more than any other MMO. I just wish getting a sky scale flowed naturally within gameplay progression. 

As someone who got back into the game like 3 months ago after years without playing it and the very first thing I did was to unlock the Skyscale, the hardest part was to do all the "return to" achievements to get 250 of each LW4 map currency, but that wasn't that bad since I didn't had done the story on those maps yet. It just took a lot of time, nothing was ultra hard bc they all are very active maps overall + I got a lot of gold and PoF mastery points. 

The Skyscale Collection itself was relatively easy, most of the time people take doing it is more due the amount of time gating between parts than being hard itself, most is about exploring and doing small mini games with it as it grows. Also unlocking the Skyscale collection unlocks several skyscales to borrow on dragonfall, making the map way more accessible till you get your own.

So don't give up, it really gives you a huge quality of life exploring the game and the skyscale side quest story is a good one. Just take your time and you'll have yours before you notice it (also save like 12 PoF mastery points, so you can train it's mastery asap).

All this said, a small advice: if you think the skyscale is bad, don't try to get the Siege Turtle. A lot of people makes like the issue is to get it's egg but aside a decent of gold you'll need to invest on it, you need to do a EoD Strike Mission to unlock it... Tbh I wish I had known/noticed it before I had unlocked everything else on it's collection... G-G' (still turtleless)

• Thanks 4
  • Confused 1

18 minutes ago, Banchou.5628 said:

As someone who got back into the game like 3 months ago after years without playing it and the very first thing I did was to unlock the Skyscale, the hardest part was to do all the "return to" achievements to get 250 of each LW4 map currency, but that wasn't that bad since I didn't had done the story on those maps yet. It just took a lot of time, nothing was ultra hard bc they all are very active maps overall + I got a lot of gold and PoF mastery points. 

The Skyscale Collection itself was relatively easy, most of the time people take doing it is more due the amount of time gating between parts than being hard itself, most is about exploring and doing small mini games with it as it grows. Also unlocking the Skyscale collection unlocks several skyscales to borrow on dragonfall, making the map way more accessible till you get your own.

So don't give up, it really gives you a huge quality of life exploring the game and the skyscale side quest story is a good one. Just take your time and you'll have yours before you notice it (also save like 12 PoF mastery points, so you can train it's mastery asap).

All this said, a small advice: if you think the skyscale is bad, don't try to get the Siege Turtle. A lot of people makes like the issue is to get it's egg but aside a decent of gold you'll need to invest on it, you need to do a EoD Strike Mission to unlock it... Tbh I wish I had known/noticed it before I had unlocked everything else on it's collection... G-G' (still turtleless)

Good news! Just last patch they made an alternate to the strike mission. You can now get the thruster control unit from an NPC in Gyala Delve. It costs research notes and imperial favor.

• Like 5

34 minutes ago, Banchou.5628 said:

Gibson beat me to it, but they removed the strike requirement and added an alternative method

• Like 1
  • Confused 1

18 hours ago, Lucy.3728 said:

To me the game then actually started. I could finally start to play on equal terms with my friends.

This is very sad.  But the problem is not skyscale.  The problem is friends who are not waiting for you.

If your friend doesn't have a skyscale, then you either don't use your skyscale or play as a mesmer to be able to up or you are not friends. 

Edited by FiveBunnies.5730
  • Like 2
  • Confused 1

11 hours ago, Sobx.1758 said:

So it's not a game's issue, it's the player issue. More specifically it's a player issue for players who aim at minimizing their own interaction with the game, which is hardly a good basis for a change.

Then lets create a  more fun  Skyscalle acquisition

Rather than forcing people to do the same events 4 times , Delve part 2 , that none liked

Spoiler

(based on my analysis , and commends , people should rather get a more fun way to get the mount, rather than having instance content 😛

Some people believe that the that redign of Skyscale will pull resources from the "immaginary Raids creation" , but in the end ,  the future  threads of Skyscale will overshadow new instanced content ones once again 😛)

Edited by Killthehealersffs.8940
  • Haha 1
  • Confused 7
  • Sad 1

Wow this thread.. OP already resigned about getting a Skyscale and now we're 11 pages long. lol

If one wants a Skyscale, work for it. If you don't want to work for it, then no Skyscale.

Want does not get. 

Some parts are boring? Some parts are hard? Some parts are grindy? Well, you are not the only person playing the game. Some people enjoy challenge. (I don't, but I understand that I need to do it to get what I want).

Skyscale is not needed for like 99% or up of the game. I heard that one or two Legendary Trinkets need it, but if you gave up on Skyscale, might as well give up on Legendary Trinket lol.

"But this is a game, I want to play to enjoy" - well, so do some people. This is MMO, they need to cater on different mindsets.

"But it's a game-changer" - then work on it. It is worth it by my personal opinion. No, I do not want to do it again. lol

"But it's hard" - then no Skyscale for you.

Easy.

• Like 5
  • Thanks 1

1 hour ago, knives.6345 said:

"But it's a game-changer" - then work on it. It is worth it by my personal opinion. No, I do not want to do it again.

I did the skyscale because it didn't feel that optional. Still is a kitten collection. Other shouldn't waste time on that bottom of the barrel content.

"But it's hard" - then no Skyscale for you.

It not hard, it is however a low effort time sink.

Edited by SlayerXX.7138
  • Haha 1
  • Confused 6
  • Sad 1

... not needed for like 99% or up of the game. ...

It's not for the need it's for the look. Like costumes, skins, just the look, the: it is there i want it.

Might be not the goal for serious hardcore players, but like in so many games, it's for the majority of players. A reason why frkn lootboxes, ingame shops, fkn microtransactions work and make a ton of money.

We live in a gamingworld where players have little attention.

They play a couple of games at the same time and they stay with game that doesn't consumes to much time to gain rewards.

Maybe older people, yes people get older in 10 years, do not have the time anymore they can spend in their favorite game they played years.

The steam charts today

• 2,825 players right now
  • 4,569 24-hour peak
  • 8,324 all-time peak 9 months ago

Why steam? because steam got gw2 a lot of new players.

It's a loss of around 50%

GW2 needs to get new players or at least keep his playerbase. Creating content you know people want it and hide it behind  a wall of grind isn't the right way.

Imo it is boring HC grind and i don't care if you don't see it the same way, i don't care if it was easy for you, for me it's not.

If you did it in 3h and/or enjoyed this masochistic grind, fine but i'm not you, i don't enjoy that stuff but at some point i want the same thing. And for me it's so much more work if i don't enjoy that kind of content.

Why do i have to suffer to the content you enjoy? Because you think it's unfair?

Edited by Escadero.7891
  • Confused 8
  • Sad 1

22 minutes ago, Escadero.7891 said:

It's not for the need it's for the look. Like costumes, skins, just the look, the: it is there i want it.

snip

which all boils down to 'I feel entitled to the content I want at the speed that i want it doing what I want.'  The reality is many many many people happily got the skyscale, which is a medium length easy to do objective with a desirable reward. 

You can spin it any way you like, but this is the reality of it.

Edited by vesica tempestas.1563
  • Like 3
  • Thanks 5
  • Sad 1