I'm tired of people messaging me after blocking me to troll

especially from pvp but it can happen anywhere, this community in particular has a problem with people blocking and sending mail/ wispers to people they have just blocked. is the gw2 community more cowardly than other games? yes. I blame horizontal progression attracting people who hate competition but that's another topic entirely.

if you block someone, you should not be able to message them....

if you are set to invisible, you should not be able to send whispers.....

if you message someone and THEN block them, they can still respond for 60 seconds (this discourages the practice altogether as people won't want retaliation)

• Like 21
  • Thanks 3
  • Haha 5
  • Confused 13
  • Sad 1

I have 17,000+ hours in game and no-one I don't know has ever whispered me, barring the occasional request to party up for a TTF or to share fishing buffs. Are you sure the problem isn't you? In your post you've just insulted the whole community and made it clear you want to retaliate against any imagined slight.

• Like 11
  • Thanks 3
  • Confused 21
  • Sad 1

1 hour ago, Duke Nukem.6783 said:

especially from pvp but it can happen anywhere, this community in particular has a problem with people blocking and sending mail/ wispers to people they have just blocked. is the gw2 community more cowardly than other games? yes. I blame horizontal progression attracting people who hate competition but that's another topic entirely.

if you message someone and THEN block them, they can still respond for 60 seconds (this discourages the practice altogether as people won't want retaliation)

considering GW games are renouned for being friendly and that is prescribed to the horizonal nature of the game.. but ye different story.  

Agree something should be done, simply preventing blocking for an hour after sending a message and preventing messaging if you have blocked someone works.

• Like 6
  • Confused 3

Block, report, move on.  I've played for five years, have never had this issue.  If I did poorly in pvp or wvw, people usually have no issue with openly calling me out, and I learn from my mistakes.  Sure you're not the one being the issue or trash talking?

I do agree blocked should be blocked.  No whispers, mails, etc.  

• Like 8
  • Thanks 1
  • Confused 2

Let me get this straight- you are saying things in map chat during PvP match, then you get a message from someone, and when you try to reply to said message you can't because the recipient has blocked you, and you come over here to complain that you can't message them your clever comeback? Am I reading this correctly?

• Like 6
  • Thanks 2
  • Haha 6
  • Confused 7
  • Sad 1

Just now, CAA.9653 said:

Let me get this straight- you are saying things in map chat during PvP match, then you get a message from someone, and when you try to reply to said message you can't because the recipient has blocked you, and you come over here to complain that you can't message them your clever comeback? Am I reading this correctly?

he said

• Like 10
  • Confused 3

3 minutes ago, vesica tempestas.1563 said:

he said

But why would anybody message a person and immediately block said person? Most talking in PvP happens in map chat except for the rare person who sends PM. Moreover, why even reply to those troll PMs? I play PvP every so often, and have never received a PM I felt needed a response.

• Like 1
  • Confused 5
  • Sad 1

I just want to be clear in case some nuance of the eloquence has escaped me but everyone who is advocating "block, report, move on" is agreeing with the op that the current system that allows/encourages "block, report, continue to harass" makes no sense and should be altered as the op suggests, right . . ?

• Like 5
  • Thanks 3
  • Haha 1
  • Confused 2
  • Sad 1

13 hours ago, costepj.5120 said:

I have 17,000+ hours in game and no-one I don't know has ever whispered me, barring the occasional request to party up for a TTF or to share fishing buffs. Are you sure the problem isn't you? In your post you've just insulted the whole community and made it clear you want to retaliate against any imagined slight.

irrelevant. if it is happening it is a problem to be fixed. retalliation is essential to prevent a behavior

also not a problem in any other game so no, it isn't me

• Like 1
  • Confused 5
  • Sad 1

29 minutes ago, Gop.8713 said:

I just want to be clear in case some nuance of the eloquence has escaped me but everyone who is advocating "block, report, move on" is agreeing with the op that the current system that allows/encourages "block, report, continue to harass" makes no sense and should be altered as the op suggests, right . . ?

But the thing is, the op made this statement:

14 hours ago, Duke Nukem.6783 said:

Now, english is not my main language, so I may be wrong here. But doesn't this mean op made a response to the person whispering them? The op does not want the person they whispered to retaliate (meaning it was not a nice reply). It can also mean that op got killed, made a salty whisper to the person who killed them and then blocked them. Making them the issue at hand and do not want the person they whispered to retaliate. Speculation, but this is how I interpret this.

What people mean by report, block and move on is not to make a response and just block them. If they do not reply to the person, chances are they will not whisper before the block is in place. I didn't even know there was a 60 second gap where they could whisper before it is activated. 

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1
  • Confused 3
  • Sad 1

1 hour ago, Duke Nukem.6783 said:

no, this doesn't fix the root problem. the report feature does nothing and never will, and my solutions represent real change to the mechanics preventing the behavior

Sure it does, just not in a way YOU want to (which in part is more restrictive and potentially more toxic, given your suggestions).

Let's examine your suggestions:

This would mean you are put on auto block on the other players account, both giving you access to another players block list as well as potentially having the other player not even know about having you on block. Or it would require a seperate tracking system etc.

A similar result is ALSO already achieved via the suggested block, report and move on.

This penalizes players who are invisible for not nefarious reasons.

This is the worst idea yet. What, you want to step into an exchange with someone who just now demonstrated he is willing to be toxic towards you? What are you going to convince him in 60 seconds of what a great person you are and change his mind? Let's face it, all you want to do is vent at the other player, which results in an even more toxic exchange.

This won't reduce toxicity, on the contrary, some trolls live for the attention and this will give them even more of it.

So again:

Block, Report and Move On. This is not only meant as advice on which mechanical steps you should take, but also a mindset you should adopt. Reduce interaction with toxic people to a minimum and MOVE ON.

Edited by Cyninja.2954
  • Like 5
  • Thanks 2
  • Confused 6

15 hours ago, Duke Nukem.6783 said:

This is how conflicts escalate. It does not discourage the behavior you're complaining about. Retaliation? You think people are afraid of words in a chatbox? Why would you even waste your time on toxic airheads? Block and ignore really is the best option, regardless of what system is being utilized. If you describe responses to such messages as retaliation it's pretty clear where you're coming from. I'd say responding to such messages should overrule a block, because clearly you want to engage. Why else respond?

• Thanks 2

2 hours ago, Cyninja.2954 said:

This would mean you are put on auto block on the other players account, both giving you access to another players block list as well as potentially having the other player not even know about having you on block. Or it would require a seperate tracking system etc.

What? Just set it to current account cant contact with current's account block list, no need to "acces another player block list".

No seperate system, not added to anothers acount block list and why would you need to know if someone blocks you?

What he is asking (the no contact if added on a block list) is a basic feature that every game that i played has.

• Like 5
  • Sad 1

16 minutes ago, Sentaz.1649 said:

What? Just set it to current account cant contact with current's account block list, no need to "acces another player block list".

No seperate system, not added to anothers acount block list and why would you need to know if someone blocks you?

What he is asking (the no contact if added on a block list) is a basic feature that every game that i played has.

That's obviously NOT how this games block list is programmed. If it were, we wouldn't have this discussion.

For all we know, the game checks the other players blocklist for if a message is allowed to go through or not.

So yes, it WOULD require an additional list or at least check to see if a message should go through. In case it's  a simple check, a player could circumvent that by simply unblocking, messaging, reblocking. Rinse and repeat.

All of this still leads to a toxic exchange overall.

Again for the final time: IGNORE (both in game as well as real life mentally) and block, report and move on.

Edited by Cyninja.2954
  • Like 1
  • Confused 2

5 hours ago, Freya.9075 said:

But the thing is, the op made this statement:

Now, english is not my main language, so I may be wrong here. But doesn't this mean op made a response to the person whispering them? The op does not want the person they whispered to retaliate (meaning it was not a nice reply). It can also mean that op got killed, made a salty whisper to the person who killed them and then blocked them. Making them the issue at hand and do not want the person they whispered to retaliate. Speculation, but this is how I interpret this.

What people mean by report, block and move on is not to make a response and just block them. If they do not reply to the person, chances are they will not whisper before the block is in place. I didn't even know there was a 60 second gap where they could whisper before it is activated. 

No what the op is saying is that they received a whisper, presumably a great big meanie whisper, but when they went to reply they discovered the whisperer had blocked them. They are advocating for changes to the system that would discourage this practice and encourage ppl to block, report and move on instead . . .

• Like 5
  • Confused 2

19 hours ago, Duke Nukem.6783 said:

especially from pvp but it can happen anywhere, this community in particular has a problem with people blocking and sending mail/ wispers to people they have just blocked.

Never had that happen to me (in years in wvw).

Maybe you should stop to kitten people off to a degree that they feel the need to annoy you in such a way. You motivate them to do that with something you do to them.
And no, dying in pvp isn't it.

• Like 2
  • Confused 2

I rarely get any whispers. Not even in PvP - where of course it is more common due to some toxicity innate to such game modes. Afaik it is even considered bad manners (even in normal play and if you want to help someone) to whisper unsolicited. At least for me. Always getting shocked from the special sound effect and the color I selected for the whispers lol. And in a lot of other areas (Discord and messnger apps like that) it also is not liked a lot. (When there I would find it a lot worse than in a game where it distracts.)

The say chat seems to be used most commonly - so people have manners in most cases. In PvP they usually go to map chat (to avoid talking to the own team only + not everyone reads the say) ... being like "report x he is a noob or afk" or something like that. Whispers rarely. I tend to sometimes switch to invisible "just in case" - when playing PvP. For the messenger. Not really using the whisper function anyways. There usually are normal other channels and this is intended mainly for friends to talk privately - for other people ther eis party/team/guild when it should not by completely public.