Weapons Mastery and New Profession Weapons

1) I made this post earlier and it is still relevant: I don't want to play EoD spec weapons on other especs when the weaponskills themselves are kind of generic. Give them more personality so they actually feel like espec weapons:

https://en-forum.guildwars2.com/topic/131631-june-27-balance-update-preview/?do=findComment&comment=1916671

2) All of these new weapon additions are very DPS/MH forward. Nice to see mace and scepter thrown in, but why do we even have warhorns or foci if no one uses them? Give Rev OH focus as well as scepter, and Guardian OH warhorn instead of dual pistols (why?). And why is Mesmer getting rifle? Give it shortbow and give Engi the longbow.

Edited by Batalix.2873
  • Confused 1

I'm really excited for MH Axe on Thief since I made my first Legendary and it happened to be an Axe.

I'm super curious if it'll be Melee or Ranged though since it is used as either or with other specs, like my Firebrand its pseudo Melee, but my Necro and Soulbeast is Ranged.

Also curious to see how our Dual wield will play with Axe/Pistol and Axe/Dagger.

• Confused 1

At first I was skeptic but after thinking about it I really like the idea of weapons being availabel to all elite specs. Some classes like Engineer only have a few weapons to begin with. It allows for new build diversity and some specs even get new skills from them like unleashed attacks or mirage cloak.

I'm just a little bummed they don't introduce new core utility, heal, elite skills like ranger elite trap or mesmer clone heal. Each class has some skills missing to have at least 5 skills of each type.

Edited by Sodeni.6041
  • Like 5

4 minutes ago, Xanhawk.3806 said:

I'm really excited for MH Axe on Thief since I made my first Legendary and it happened to be an Axe.

I'm super curious if it'll be Melee or Ranged though since it is used as either or with other specs, like my Firebrand its pseudo Melee, but my Necro and Soulbeast is Ranged.

Also curious to see how our Dual wield will play with Axe/Pistol and Axe/Dagger.

I think it should work like a grappling hook, personally. Offhand axe would have been more interesting.

My biggest concern is that the EoD specs just reused animations, as a consequence they don't have nearly the same creative abilities as the HoT/PoF especs. If we are getting "new weapons", I hope the devs don't make the same mistake. Make the weapons actually feel like they occupy distinct niches.

• Like 2

It sounds good, but it also sounds like a balance issue, I don't even want to think how much tweaking it will take to actually balance a change as massive as this. On top of everything else they're gonna do as well.

Long story short, I'm terrified of this. 

• Like 2
  • Haha 1

1 hour ago, jason.1083 said:

It sounds good, but it also sounds like a balance issue, I don't even want to think how much tweaking it will take to actually balance a change as massive as this. On top of everything else they're gonna do as well.

Long story short, I'm terrified of this. 

Yeah after reading the patch notes today + the expansion power creep nonsense i realized the devs are trying to make a game i don't want to play so more power too them but i'm peacing out.

• Like 1
  • Confused 2

5 hours ago, Sodeni.6041 said:

At first I was skeptic but after thinking about it I really like the idea of weapons being availabel to all elite specs. Some classes like Engineer only have a few weapons to begin with. It allows for new build diversity and some specs even get new skills from them like unleashed attacks or mirage cloak.

I'm just a little bummed they don't introduce new core utility, heal, elite skills like ranger elite trap or mesmer clone heal. Each class has some skills missing to have at least 5 skills of each type.

I think it would be nice if next year instead of weapons they did some utility skills and / or a new core trait line and then an expansion later do another weapon or something different. Just so they can still add, but still don't need to do full especs, and so they don't just run out of options after 2 more expansions.

I am SO HAPPY that we will finally get to use the weapons from elite specs with any spec... this is how they should have been from the start... it has never made sense to lock the weapons to the elite specs... I understood unlocking them with the elite spec, that part I was always fine with... but they never should have been locked to them...

I'd love to see Thief get access to Focus off-hand to complement the abilities from the Scepter... Axe is a nice addition for main-hand... but Thief really needs a new off-hand that complements the Scepter.... 

Also, why is Elementalist only getting mainhand pistol? They should get main & off-hand pistol...

Scepter could have made a good addition to Engineer too... give it some Electricity & Magnetism based abilities and it's perfectly thematic... we also already have some scepter skins that would fit the Engineer theme flawlessly even... I'm not seeing Shortbow fitting the Engineer at all... they could even have added a Warhorn as a new engineer off-hand, make it a power weapon...

Rifle on Mesmer? Can we have pistol main-hand instead? maybe even Dagger off-hand?

Glad to see Revenant is finally getting Scepter... I just hope it's abilities are actually based on the Ritualist and not just some dark and edgy mist junk...

Mace on Ranger? Come on Arena Net... listen to the community already... you know we've all been wanting Rifle on Ranger since the game launched...

Warrior & Necromancer's new weapon choices are spot on... I'm 99% certain Warrior Staff will be a melee weapon like the Daredevil... and I'm 100% going to be using Staff on my Spellbreaker... and Sword Necro... it's about kitten time... no matter how they setup the swords on Necro, they are a perfect and welcomed new addition...

6 minutes ago, NotTooFoolish.7412 said:

Until people figure out what's the optimal set-up and most of the meta builds make it preferred to use a specific combo (having the mastery unlocked).

I'm looking forwards to Axe/Shield Chronomancer... I've been wanting this combo for years... the Axe's abilities are a perfect complement to Chronomancer's Shield abilities and they would work AMAZINGLY with the chronomancer's traits... Axe is the only main-hand weapon for Mesmer that I'd be willing to drop my scepter for on my Chronomancer... 

4 hours ago, Panda.1967 said:

I'm 99% certain Warrior Staff will be a melee weapon like the Daredevil... and I'm 100% going to be using Staff on my Spellbreaker...

Watch them turn Staff into something like the Bundles that Banners used to be at launch.

Stabbing on Auto attack, MAYBE a swing that hits up to three enemies on #2 and the rest of the abilities are just PBAoE boons.

I don't want something like this, but with the boon vomit direction the game keeps sinking into and with Warrior's general treatment I wouldn't be surprised about it.

5 minutes ago, Fueki.4753 said:

Watch them turn Staff into something like the Bundles that Banners used to be at launch.

Stabbing on Auto attack, MAYBE a swing that hits up to three enemies on #2 and the rest of the abilities are just PBAoE boons.

I don't want something like this, but with the boon vomit direction the game keeps sinking into and with Warrior's general treatment I wouldn't be surprised about it.

Honestly... I'd actually like a skill set like that... presuming they give it actually worthwhile stats... funny enough a skill set like that would let my spellbreaker have a build similar to what my Warrior in GW1 had... Funny enough her name was Varsh Spellbreaker... a Warrior/Dervish who used a Scythe and was built around Enchantment removal... 

7 minutes ago, Panda.1967 said:

Honestly... I'd actually like a skill set like that... presuming they give it actually worthwhile stats... funny enough a skill set like that would let my spellbreaker have a build similar to what my Warrior in GW1 had... Funny enough her name was Varsh Spellbreaker... a Warrior/Dervish who used a Scythe and was built around Enchantment removal... 

But it's a weapon for Warrior, so there is a high chance that the numbers would be quite temperate.

And such a Staff would mean Warrior will never have the proper Spearbearer weapon that some on the forums want to have, unless Arenanet eventually manages to bring aquatic weapons onto dry land.

Edited by Fueki.4753

12 minutes ago, Fueki.4753 said:

But it's a weapon for Warrior, so there is a high chance that the numbers would be quite temperate.

And such a Staff would mean Warrior will never have the proper Spearbearer weapon that some on the forums want to have, unless Arenanet eventually manages to bring aquatic weapons onto dry land.

I want a spearbearer weapon on Warrior too... but unless Arenanet does give us aquatic weapons on land we will never get that...

• Like 1