New Mesmer Weapon: Rifle

Sodeni.6041

18 hours ago, draxynnic.3719 said:

Wait, what? Have you even played virtuoso?

Dagger is pure power without Jagged Mind (and is used on power virtuoso). So-called "condition virtuoso" is really a hybrid that trades ferocity for condition damage. 

A bulk of your damage in cvirtuoso is the bleed damage that comes from it not from the power damage, even pvirtuoso build is mostly off phantasm rotations and shatter not spamming dagger.

10 minutes ago, Salt Mode.3780 said:

A bulk of your damage in cvirtuoso is the bleed damage that comes from it not from the power damage, even pvirtuoso build is mostly off phantasm rotations and shatter not spamming dagger.

It's basically traded crit damage for bleeds, but power is still a significant portion. As for pvirtuoso - if dagger wasn't contributing more than other available weapons like sword or sceptre, then the people making the builds - who, incidentally, I trust more than random forum person who's expressed hate for virtuoso since it was announced - would use one of those other weapons instead. Phantasms are coming off the offhands, after all, so if dagger really isn't doing much for a power build, they could switch to something else.

Dagger coefficients, as it happens, are power-suitable given the high attack rate, and a non-virtuoso mesmer using dagger is absolutely going to be using it for power since the trait isn't available.

• Like 1
  • Confused 3

1 hour ago, draxynnic.3719 said:

It's basically traded crit damage for bleeds, but power is still a significant portion. As for pvirtuoso - if dagger wasn't contributing more than other available weapons like sword or sceptre, then the people making the builds - who, incidentally, I trust more than random forum person who's expressed hate for virtuoso since it was announced - would use one of those other weapons instead. Phantasms are coming off the offhands, after all, so if dagger really isn't doing much for a power build, they could switch to something else.

Dagger coefficients, as it happens, are power-suitable given the high attack rate, and a non-virtuoso mesmer using dagger is absolutely going to be using it for power since the trait isn't available.

Have you not seen mirage ambush for dagger? there is condi tied into it meaning it will heavily benefit from celestial in a WvW standpoint and hybrid for spvp and the fact that it dazes and benefits from IH meaning your clones will also apply the condi as well...so i dont know what you are trying to say....

2 hours ago, Salt Mode.3780 said:

Have you not seen mirage ambush for dagger? there is condi tied into it meaning it will heavily benefit from celestial in a WvW standpoint and hybrid for spvp and the fact that it dazes and benefits from IH meaning your clones will also apply the condi as well...so i dont know what you are trying to say....

And people have criticised the ambush for that, because for any non-virtuoso build, dagger is otherwise pure power.

It'd be like Split Surge inflicting confusion.

• Like 1

20 hours ago, kawaiiboy.2685 said:

Or they can add a new weapon like a musical instrument weapon for Mesmer like harp to make a bard class since Mesmer does have a bard style vibe like the trident weapon skill 1 "siren's call" it has musical note as logo. I can imagine how pretty Mesmer's healing animations will be it is the prettiest class in the game after all. 

Rifle would probably be like greatsword dull but unless you make it a healing with boons shotgun weapon then it's good.

I have been saying this for years "GIVE US A MH WARHORN" that would be an excellent support weapon and be very bard like.

IF Rifle must be ranged: I'd hope for 1200 or 1500 ranged condi weapon (I'm in the camp that Virt is a condition class, but that doesn't make the dagger a condi weapon).  That way it doesn't have to compete with GS.

I'd be more excited if the Rifle was our first 2H melee weapon with high power coefficients.  I think it would have to "shoot", but i'd hope for the following:

Skill 1: Illusory Bayonet - A 300 range attack chain ending in a flurry of multi-hit thrusts (3 targets) . Because deep wound from gw1 isn't a thing anymore, I'd want it to inflict 1 stack of poison (5s) to reduce healing (which also isn't a condi that mesmer has a lot of access to).

Ambush. 900 cone teleport 3 targets into melee range and inflict slow (kind the reverse of the revenant skills that teleport away).

Skill 2:  Blinding Bang- 600 range high damage cone (5 targets). Inflicts Blind. Blast finisher (something else Mesmer has little access to)

Skill 3: Butt Strike - 450 range leap finisher melee strike (1 target), inflicts daze when striking from the front. Knocks down when flanking.

Skill 4: Repositioning - 900 or 1200 range shadow step behind the target, gain might and/or fury. (if the weapon must have a clone generation, I'd put it here, but I was thinking of including something more powerful in the skill 5 that might justify not having a separate clone generation skill)

Skill 5: Firing Squad- 1200 range, shoot a bullet that Immobilizes. Summon three phantasms that kneel then shoot a shot at 1500 range.  (I recommended three if there wasn't a clone generation skill, it would probably be two if 4 generated a clone)

Edited by Crey.5263

Wait, is someone actually unironically asking for melee rifle? 🤨 

Short of the game dying and being abandoned because of people boycotting the expansion because it was too close to an unpopular balance update, there will almost certainly be more weapons in the future. Hammer is therefore still available as a possible 2H mesmer melee weapon.

• Like 1

11 hours ago, draxynnic.3719 said:

Wait, is someone actually unironically asking for melee rifle? 🤨 

Short of the game dying and being abandoned because of people boycotting the expansion because it was too close to an unpopular balance update, there will almost certainly be more weapons in the future. Hammer is therefore still available as a possible 2H mesmer melee weapon.

Shotgun

• Like 2

13 hours ago, Artyport.2084 said:

i am kinda of annoyed by rifle.

We needed a mainhand pistol and an offhand dagger. 

Mesmer is an elegant class and rifle is not an elegant weapon. 

if you oneshot everyone it should be elegant enough, long and hard combat is not elegant, a quick death is elegant 😛

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Dynamo.5709 said:

if you oneshot everyone it should be elegant enough, long and hard combat is not elegant, a quick death is elegant 😛

Nah I rather play with my food 

that always been the mesmer for me. I’m not physically going to kill you, but I will trick you into your own death. 

not bang bang. 

I think the skills will probably be cool I just wish it was not a bulky rifle. 

On 7/3/2023 at 9:40 PM, agrippastrilemma.8741 said:

Shotgun

Not what the person I was responding to was proposing. They were literally proposing an 'illusionary bayonet" autoattack chain.

Mind you, I personally don't see shotguns as being particularly mesmery either, but I could see a short-medium range shotgun style working from a mechanical perspective.

On 7/2/2023 at 6:38 AM, Crey.5263 said:

IF Rifle must be ranged: I'd hope for 1200 or 1500 ranged condi weapon (I'm in the camp that Virt is a condition class, but that doesn't make the dagger a condi weapon).  That way it doesn't have to compete with GS.

I'd be more excited if the Rifle was our first 2H melee weapon with high power coefficients.  I think it would have to "shoot", but i'd hope for the following:

Skill 1: Illusory Bayonet - A 300 range attack chain ending in a flurry of multi-hit thrusts (3 targets) . Because deep wound from gw1 isn't a thing anymore, I'd want it to inflict 1 stack of poison (5s) to reduce healing (which also isn't a condi that mesmer has a lot of access to).

Ambush. 900 cone teleport 3 targets into melee range and inflict slow (kind the reverse of the revenant skills that teleport away).

Skill 2:  Blinding Bang- 600 range high damage cone (5 targets). Inflicts Blind. Blast finisher (something else Mesmer has little access to)

Skill 3: Butt Strike - 450 range leap finisher melee strike (1 target), inflicts daze when striking from the front. Knocks down when flanking.

Skill 4: Repositioning - 900 or 1200 range shadow step behind the target, gain might and/or fury. (if the weapon must have a clone generation, I'd put it here, but I was thinking of including something more powerful in the skill 5 that might justify not having a separate clone generation skill)

Skill 5: Firing Squad- 1200 range, shoot a bullet that Immobilizes. Summon three phantasms that kneel then shoot a shot at 1500 range.  (I recommended three if there wasn't a clone generation skill, it would probably be two if 4 generated a clone)

I'd like that idea.

But I think the Reposition to be jumping back to fire ranged shots. And with the Power Mesmers reliance on Phantasms the Firing Squad sounds cool but too similar to the Greatsword Phantasms.

I'm hoping it's a mix of melee/mid ranged skills. I want it to be a flashy shotgun that shoots out fireworks for consistent high aoe damage. Please let it be good for a dps zerg build in WvW! First light armor class to have rifle also means exciting fashion combos.

• Like 1

On 7/4/2023 at 10:23 PM, HowlKamui.5120 said:

I'm hoping it's a mix of melee/mid ranged skills. I want it to be a flashy shotgun that shoots out fireworks for consistent high aoe damage. Please let it be good for a dps zerg build in WvW! First light armor class to have rifle also means exciting fashion combos.

If it is reflectable, it will not be good in WvW zerg.

Anet description of mesmers is:  "Mesmers are magical duelists who wield deception as a weapon"

Rifle just does not feel like the weapon of a "duelist".

Main hand pistol and/or off hand dagger would have been better imo.

4 hours ago, Pie.2167 said:

Anet description of mesmers is:  "Mesmers are magical duelists who wield deception as a weapon"

Rifle just does not feel like the weapon of a "duelist".

Main hand pistol and/or off hand dagger would have been better imo.

Heard of a sniper duel? Would be right up mesmer's alley.

• Like 4
  • Confused 2

14 hours ago, Varis.5467 said:

Plot twist: the rifle is a musical weapon and we do dance-offs now. 

Plot twist twist: The power pack for the rifle is actually a small statue of Abaddon. Dancing in the presence of the statue triggers the usual response to dancing, but the rifle contains the energy and projects it down the barrel at the mesmer's target.

• Haha 1

7 hours ago, draxynnic.3719 said:

Plot twist twist: The power pack for the rifle is actually a small statue of Abaddon. Dancing in the presence of the statue triggers the usual response to dancing, but the rifle contains the energy and projects it down the barrel at the mesmer's target.

Expect it to become "the rifle contains the energy and projects it down the barrel at the mesmer" in the very next balance patch post-release. 

3 hours ago, Varis.5467 said:

Expect it to become "the rifle contains the energy and projects it down the barrel at the mesmer" in the very next balance patch post-release. 

Eh, that's more something they'd do to engineer or warrior. Mesmer is more likely to get "projects it down the barrel and tickles the target".