How does soto bring in and keep new players?

I'd say new content is in general a good point to entice new players. Go on an adventure with vets.

Also, I'd say the skyscale being easier to get is a talking point for friends who've dropped off or you're trying to get in. Cool thing you show them in game, no need to play for 300+ hours to get it now, unless you WANT to go back.

Sometimes I think it's worth making specific features and talking points for attracting new players, but I think if the game and content are good, that's... Enough. It'll catch new people if old people like it and talk it up around the internet and to their friends and family.

• Like 9
  • Thanks 1
  • Confused 1
  • Sad 1

• 2 weeks later...
On 6/27/2023 at 11:26 PM, Wheezy.2846 said:

I'd say new content is in general a good point to entice new players. Go on an adventure with vets.

Also, I'd say the skyscale being easier to get is a talking point for friends who've dropped off or you're trying to get in. Cool thing you show them in game, no need to play for 300+ hours to get it now, unless you WANT to go back.

Sometimes I think it's worth making specific features and talking points for attracting new players, but I think if the game and content are good, that's... Enough. It'll catch new people if old people like it and talk it up around the internet and to their friends and family.

I agree.

Whenever I talk to someone who is thinking about getting GW2 or I recommend it to them the two most common questions that come up are "Isn't that an old game, is it still supported?" and "Won't it take forever to play through 10 years of releases?"

Of course we know both of those are non-issues, but that's not necessarily obvious to potential new players who don't yet know much about it. A new expansion being released which 'streamlines' obtaining older features helps answer both - obviously it's still supported because there's a new expansion and they're adding ways to reduce the time you'd need to spend catching up.

(And yes there are much more important catch-up mechanics, like the lack of a gear treadmill and being able to play the story in any order, but those are harder to advertise.)

• Like 2

On 6/27/2023 at 1:30 PM, Einsof.1457 said:

All I see is stuff being added that anet hopes will keep existing players happy. But what about bringing in new ones? EOD completely failed at this, steam is a flop...what will soto bring to the table? 

You know it's funny because I see the opposite: a bunch of easier equivalents of old content to try to appeal to new players.

Reality is, no matter how you slice it, SotO is not offering much new as far as features go, and that doesn't really appeal to any market, new or veteran.

• Like 2
  • Confused 3

49 minutes ago, BlaqueFyre.5678 said:

That’s just false… last 24 hours was 4.3 in peak, and in off peak right now it’s 3.5…  easily verifiable 

Doesn't sound like that's much better?

I don't have a good context for twitch numbers...what is considered "successful"?

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1
  • Confused 6
  • Sad 1

16 hours ago, Einsof.1457 said:

Have you looked at the play counts on steam? They're terrible. 

Isn't Steams numbers for GW2 only counting those that log into this game from Steam and not the total population that also log in from Arena Net account? In that case those numbers doesn't really reflect anything more then how many players that have an account from Steam and what kind of activities they have reported or measured for GW2.

• Like 8

6 hours ago, Batalix.2873 said:

Doesn't sound like that's much better?

I don't have a good context for twitch numbers...what is considered "successful"?

Twitch views are in no way a measure of success, otherwise only WoW is successful and every other MMO is dead, which of course is objectively false. 

3 hours ago, ShadowCatz.8437 said:

Isn't Steams numbers for GW2 only counting those that log into this game from Steam and not the total population that also log in from Arena Net account? In that case those numbers doesn't really reflect anything more then how many players that have an account from Steam and what kind of activities they have reported or measured for GW2.

That's right, Steam only counts people who bought a Steam account, and considering that wasn't available until the game was 10 years old (and may not be the best choice for all new players) I don't think it's surprising it's not a lot of people.

There isn't a way for us to find out how many people are playing regularly in total, but for me the important thing is there's enough people for whatever I want to do in the game. If I want to do a meta event or Fractals or WvW or whatever I can get a group together (usually someone else is organising and I just join in). Beyond that it doesn't really matter to me precisely how many people have logged in today.

Edited by Danikat.8537
  • Like 1

8 hours ago, ShadowCatz.8437 said:

Yes but that's my point. Steam launch of gw2 was heralded as supposed to bring in a huge influx of players. It was a dud.  THEREFORE how will SOTO succeed where the steam launch failed? Or has anet given up on trying to bring in fresh players?

Edited by Einsof.1457
  • Like 2
  • Haha 1
  • Confused 7

On 7/8/2023 at 5:21 AM, TheRunningSquire.3621 said:

Steam is no flop, what you even talking about.

The Steam release of GW2 did flop, I'd say, because half of the players who joined the game via Steam at launch are gone by now, and many of those still playing are likely veterans who already owned a GW2 ArenaNet account for years. (Source: https://steamcharts.com/app/1284210)

Edited by Ashantara.8731
  • Like 2
  • Confused 7

21 hours ago, Einsof.1457 said:

Gw2 cant crack 3000 players at once on stream anymore. Facts hurt. 

And why would i need to watch a stream?

Edit: In all honesty:  if i had time to watch a stream i would rather play the game myself... 

Edited by Cronospere.8143
  • Like 1
  • Confused 1

According to the same unofficial site referenced above GW2 currently has 3,726 Steam players online, and the peak in the past 24 hours is 4,267 so it's apparently untrue that it can't get above 3,000.

But also that only measures players online simultaneously. I suppose it could be a useful tool for less popular Steam-exclusive multiplayer games where you need to know exactly what time people are most likely to be online, but it's not an accurate count of total players. Especially not for a game like GW2 which has at least two seperate peak times (and possibly a 3rd for Asia Pacific players). There's almost no cross-over between EU peak times (which ended about an hour ago) and NA peak times (which starts in about 30 minutes). If it only counts players online at the same time then at best it's going to count 1/2 the playerbase at any given time.

I was looking for a count of total players per day, but it doesn't seem to do that. I assume because it's unofficial it can't identify unique logins to get an accurate daily count and it looks like Steam doesn't share that data.

• Like 2

People said it before, best thing to attract any kind of public is new content.

As for new players.... game is 10 years old, most people who would want to play it already did. That's the big problem. There are many 10 years old games i never played, and i doubt i'll try any any time soon, with better and recent games coming out and getting updated everyday. It's the same for any old game : nostalgia or people who never quit, i doubt many new players will come now no matter what Anet does, even if it is a brilliant move. Unless they totally shape it anew, and even then the cost is probably not worth it.

Edited by GEGEZZ.7563

25 minutes ago, loonatic.1689 said:

free dragon. 

It will work a lot better than locking turtle behind Soo-Won, trust me. 

I still think noobs are total kittens for whining about that.

Every other specialty mount required some work to use. You didn't just get griffon or roller beetle or skyscale for free. EoD wasn't even the "mount" expac so of course turtle shouldn't have been the main draw of the expac--if it was, that is pretty sad commentary on EoD's other self-contained systems like jadebot and fishing.

In general "accessibility" is killing this game's old content and playerbase. Maybe it might still succeed catering to these new players to outweigh what it is gambling away, but it won't be without the cost of a lot of its established goodwill.

• Like 2
  • Confused 4