Rework LFG tool

Let's not lie to each other and write down that LFG tool in GW2 is not good. Most "tabs" in LFG are not even used and ppl ignore them in general. Maybe in any future updates rework could be done.

Few option which would improve LFG tool:

1. Adding option to queue for several things at once = I can queue for daily fractals and daily strikes at same time.
  2. When group is ready - conditions to create group is ready, then have pop-up window on player screen to get insta teleport to instance similar to PVP matches = I do not need to go to specific area to get in instance, for new ppl that would be huge QoL improvement.
  3. Add option to queue as role for example healer, support, dps and option to queue as commander. Of course player can pick one or all options. Based on player's choice some lil icon would be shown next to their name/hp bar in party/squad setup.
  • Like 7
  • Thanks 2
  • Confused 12

• 3 weeks later...
On 6/28/2023 at 11:07 AM, TheNurgle.4825 said:

Let's not lie to each other and write down that LFG tool in GW2 is not good. Most "tabs" in LFG are not even used and ppl ignore them in general. Maybe in any future updates rework could be done.

1. Adding option to queue for several things at once = I can queue for daily fractals and daily strikes at same time.
  2. When group is ready - conditions to create group is ready, then have pop-up window on player screen to get insta teleport to instance similar to PVP matches = I do not need to go to specific area to get in instance, for new ppl that would be huge QoL improvement.
  3. Add option to queue as role for example healer, support, dps and option to queue as commander. Of course player can pick one or all options. Based on player's choice some lil icon would be shown next to their name/hp bar in party/squad setup.

While I agree with some of the points (mainly that a lot of tabs are rarely used), there's a number of problems with the suggestions as well:

• On point #2, what happens if one of the players "queueing" decides not to join after all? Would the others pop in to the instance without them or would it revert everyone to queueing status again?
  • On point #3, the problem is that the roles aren't defined, but rather depend on the team. A healer can be a quick/heal or alac/heal. In raids a heal can also be a tank. Also in raids the community assigns a LOT of specialty roles to players, such as kiters, tower runners, hand kites, et cetera. Since these roles aren't defined by Anet, how would it be possible to integrate them into the lfg? We've even seen roles such as "dps (hscg on BS)" and the likes.

Team building in GW2 is quite fluid so there's really no simple way to hard code it into the lfg.

• Like 5

44 minutes ago, IAmNotMatthew.1058 said:

Fishing is prime example to why something constantly popping up on the forums might not be an indication of something being bad or necesseary.

from what i've seen over the years, most veterans agree the lfg tool is extremely bad and responsible for more casual players not getting into more difficult content. to understand this though, you have to play another game with a better lfg where you just queue up and play the game and you quickly realise how much time you waste in this game on the user interface (lfg, inventory management, lack of customisation etc.).

there's some weird people on here who are always griping about every lfg thread, who seem to like playing the ui instead.

Edited by SoftFootpaws.9134
  • Like 2
  • Thanks 1
  • Confused 3
  • Sad 1

5 hours ago, IAmNotMatthew.1058 said:

Fishing is prime example to why something constantly popping up on the forums might not be an indication of something being bad or necesseary.

Your equating a core solvable problem with the game that is slowly squeezing the game into bloody non existence, with a mini game that has no overall bearing on how the game does.

• Thanks 1
  • Confused 5
  • Sad 1

11 hours ago, Zohane.7208 said:
  • On point #2, what happens if one of the players "queueing" decides not to join after all? Would the others pop in to the instance without them or would it revert everyone to queueing status again?
  • On point #3, the problem is that the roles aren't defined, but rather depend on the team. A healer can be a quick/heal or alac/heal. In raids a heal can also be a tank. Also in raids the community assigns a LOT of specialty roles to players, such as kiters, tower runners, hand kites, et cetera. Since these roles aren't defined by Anet, how would it be possible to integrate them into the lfg? We've even seen roles such as "dps (hscg on BS)" and the likes.

As I wrote creating and teleporting group would be similar/same as in PvP so there is no need to create something new and it also work like that in any other MMO with useful LFG tool.

Defining roles is actaully easy. You can just do it by several checkboxes like tank, heal, boons/support (alac, quick, might, fury, ...). Here you just need little imagination. Also adding little icons so you see as which roles ppl choose at in LFG tool.

Creating groups in GW2 is frustrating and take too much effort and time. I want to queue for fractals, strikes and just go do some open world stuff. Big challenge would be include open world metas and world bosses to "new" LFG tool.

• Confused 4

1 minute ago, TheNurgle.4825 said:

Defining roles is actaully easy. You can just do it by several checkboxes like tank, heal, boons/support (alac, quick, might, fury, ...). Here you just need little imagination. Also adding little icons so you see as which roles ppl choose at in LFG tool.

That would mean that Anet would have to define and hard-code the roles into the lfg tool. What then when the community finds that a previous role needs to be replaced by a new one? Would we have to petition Anet to change the lfg so it could be listed? Another way would be for the lfg poster (commander or whatever) to have to type up all required roles into checkboxes - that would be extremely cumbersome.

I mean, don't get me wrong: I'm not a big fan of the current lfg; it's just that I still haveon't seen any suggestion made that would actually improve it imo (in this thread or any other that I've seen). It seems GW2 doesn't lend itself very readily to straight-forward definitions. I would love for the lfg to be more useful, I just don't see how it would function then.

• Like 5

16 hours ago, Zohane.7208 said:

While I agree with some of the points (mainly that a lot of tabs are rarely used), there's a number of problems with the suggestions as well:

Team building in GW2 is quite fluid so there's really no simple way to hard code it into the lfg.

I have been beating this warhorse for a while. First the Queing process has to be started by a commander and they should be able to select specific classes, elites and roles. This is similar to the current process but more streamlined.

2: You can re-enter the que to look for more players much like how a you can post another LFG.

3: Arena Net has done alot of work to remove any unique (cheesy) requirements for end game content like confusion stacks for certain bosses. 

• Confused 6

18 hours ago, Mell.4873 said:

I have been beating this warhorse for a while. First the Queing process has to be started by a commander and they should be able to select specific classes, elites and roles. This is similar to the current process but more streamlined.

2: You can re-enter the que to look for more players much like how a you can post another LFG.

3: Arena Net has done alot of work to remove any unique (cheesy) requirements for end game content like confusion stacks for certain bosses. 

Nah don't streamline. I'm happy doing whatever I want with my groups.

On 6/28/2023 at 4:07 AM, TheNurgle.4825 said:
  1. When group is ready - conditions to create group is ready, then have pop-up window on player screen to get insta teleport to instance similar to PVP matches = I do not need to go to specific area to get in instance, for new ppl that would be huge QoL improvement.

Same with this. I'd rather just tell them we're to go. It's part of the adventure.

People have to communicate they are lost/confused of they wont learn about the areas/zones.

• Like 3
  • Sad 1

On 7/16/2023 at 10:34 PM, Zohane.7208 said:

That would mean that Anet would have to define and hard-code the roles into the lfg tool. What then when the community finds that a previous role needs to be replaced by a new one? Would we have to petition Anet to change the lfg so it could be listed? Another way would be for the lfg poster (commander or whatever) to have to type up all required roles into checkboxes - that would be extremely cumbersome.

I mean, don't get me wrong: I'm not a big fan of the current lfg; it's just that I still haveon't seen any suggestion made that would actually improve it imo (in this thread or any other that I've seen). It seems GW2 doesn't lend itself very readily to straight-forward definitions. I would love for the lfg to be more useful, I just don't see how it would function then.

Lets go there. How many roles do you actaully have in guild wars 2 and do not include cheese builds? In theory a lot of builds, but in the end you have DPS, support and "tank". For raids it could be little more complex, but it is dead content anyway.  I know that over years ppl found out that certain mechanics can be "ignored" by certain builds, but it was never designed that way.

Fro fractals and strikes in LFG you can always see same things every group want quickness, alacrity, heal and dps so not that many options. About hard-code someting maybe if you need to rush it, then yes. Normally you prepare prrof of concept and in that you include possible extension or changes for future so not really that hard.

• Like 1
  • Confused 4

I think just providing more options for player to engage with this content, with the introduction of PvE legendary armor players have even less of a reason to even Raid.

I find it exhausting to Raid/Strike sometimes, other times I can pull up the LFG and get/find everything I need. Relegating that to a queuing system would be my preferred method if such a thing existed.

• Confused 3

On 6/28/2023 at 5:07 AM, TheNurgle.4825 said:

Some good ideas there. If Anet are going to have designated roles, it makes sense for them to put some system in place where players can easily make teams according to those roles. Let people also Que up as a specific role as well so commanders can pull from a pool. 

• Confused 4

Here's the problem this function requires players to login and actually play the game.  There are just no players because it's a dead game it's just that simple.  Of course, I am probably so wrong because MILLIONS of players are playing, I just can't see them.

• Haha 1
  • Confused 3

On 6/28/2023 at 12:07 PM, TheNurgle.4825 said:

1. Add option to queue as role for example healer, support, dps and option to queue as commander. Of course player can pick one or all options. Based on player's choice some lil icon would be shown next to their name/hp bar in party/squad setup.

We dont need another LFG system.

How you will check hfb in harrier or hfb in celestial equip for CM fractals? It's different hfb, first one for heal and boons second for boons and dps.
And its just one example. 

On 6/28/2023 at 12:07 PM, TheNurgle.4825 said:

This is not wow or FF14 or something else. You don't need teleport. 

• Like 5

3 hours ago, Kozumi.5816 said:

The reason there are people so against the LFG tool being reworked is because they benefit from it via their boosting services and do not want it to be more accessible to clear the content on their own.

Never used it for boosting, and i think we dont need new LFG system.

• Like 6
  • Confused 1

3 hours ago, Kozumi.5816 said:

The reason there are people so against the LFG tool being reworked is because they benefit from it via their boosting services and do not want it to be more accessible to clear the content on their own.

That’s just nonsense. Never did any boosting and still don’t see the need to rework the LFG tool. I never had any problems finding a group with the current system and I think it’s pretty accessible. 

• Like 2
  • Thanks 4
  • Confused 1

10 hours ago, TheNurgle.4825 said:

Lets go there. How many roles do you actaully have in guild wars 2 and do not include cheese builds? In theory a lot of builds, but in the end you have DPS, support and "tank". For raids it could be little more complex, but it is dead content anyway.  I know that over years ppl found out that certain mechanics can be "ignored" by certain builds, but it was never designed that way.

Fro fractals and strikes in LFG you can always see same things every group want quickness, alacrity, heal and dps so not that many options. About hard-code someting maybe if you need to rush it, then yes. Normally you prepare prrof of concept and in that you include possible extension or changes for future so not really that hard.

When I look at the lfg, raids is one of the most used tabs (or at least with the most groups) so it's hardly "dead". And even if the majority only looks for dps and support, the fact that there are a number of specialty roles can't be overlooked. Raids and strike CMs all have them, and they're needed. If the LFG was changed so as to remove these "rare" options, it would be very harmful for those groups, and would likely mean that the high-end groups would invent an lfg-looking system outside the game (discord groups or something), which would make it harder for people wanting to move into that realm.

• Like 4
  • Thanks 1

7 hours ago, Zohane.7208 said:

When I look at the lfg, raids is one of the most used tabs (or at least with the most groups) so it's hardly "dead". And even if the majority only looks for dps and support, the fact that there are a number of specialty roles can't be overlooked. Raids and strike CMs all have them, and they're needed. If the LFG was changed so as to remove these "rare" options, it would be very harmful for those groups, and would likely mean that the high-end groups would invent an lfg-looking system outside the game (discord groups or something), which would make it harder for people wanting to move into that realm.

What are these specialty roles? Again no roles to cheese or skip mechanics.

• Confused 5

37 minutes ago, TheNurgle.4825 said:

What are these specialty roles? Again no roles to cheese or skip mechanics.

14 minutes ago, Linken.6345 said:

Hand kite deimos, pusher desmina, greens/kite Dhuum do I need to give more?

To add to Linken's (already excellent) list: red and green tanks on OLC, mech kite on KO. The list really goes on, and with each new strike it's likely to add more.

• Like 3

14 hours ago, vares.8457 said:

That’s just nonsense. Never did any boosting and still don’t see the need to rework the LFG tool. I never had any problems finding a group with the current system and I think it’s pretty accessible. 

Why else would you be against improving something?

• Confused 6