Solemn reminder that no new spvp content has been released since Nov 2018.

Voraxen.2035

In unranked, during map selection, you'll occasionally see Battle of Champion's Dusk as an option and could switch from playing conquest to stronghold. It would be cool to have this with 3v3, 2v2 maps in ranked queue. If either is picking then the 5v5 queue is broken down into two separate matches, one a 2v2 and the other a 3v3.

• Like 2

On 7/19/2023 at 10:56 PM, Carnage.6751 said:

İt's obvious they don't care .They don't care  forums they don't care  reddit.They don't care feedbacks.They trimming content little by little and selling us from same price.I'm so sick and tired A-net white knights keep defending every decision of A-net by "They are little company".No wonder they 'll bring open world legendaries.Because they only care those meta train players.No new map ,no new rewards ,what is the worth of rank in pvp anyway?

Remember the time when ANet quietly dismissed an employee who falsely accused some random person of a homicide?  And now that dismissed former employee works for a geo-analytics developer?  I remember that.

• Like 2

• 1 month later...
  • 1 month later...

Hi there. Really enjoying the content from Secrets of the Obscure. I love the new spvp stuff the most! The map is great, the new game mode is great, I love the new skins and achievements. So cool Anet!!

Oh wait, yet again no content. Nothing since 2018. Please anet, PVE, WVW, PVP. You have three game modes to your game.

• Like 3

17 minutes ago, Sahne.6950 said:

absolutely no offense.....

but what the duck are you doing when playing?

Maybe open world or WvW. Those are the 2 things not mentioned and considering open world pve is the single most played type of content, followed by WvW, it's also highly probable I'd say.

5 hours ago, Voraxen.2035 said:

Oh wait, yet again no content. Nothing since 2018. Please anet, PVE, WVW, PVP. You have three game modes to your game.

Anet wants PvP to die and players should stop taking PvP seriously. Even back when Anet still had some people caring about the game mode (like BenP) virtually nothing happened. Now that Anet has absolutely no person even remotely interested in PvP the game mode is dead for good.
And I think the shift in focus even comes from the very top as NCSoft has apparently abandoned pvp in all their games. The PvP section in Blade&Souls forum is also pretty dire and this game even had a rather successful e-sport league for quite a long time (unlike GW2's journey into esl, which was more like a flash in the pan).

So yea. I think PvP in general is pretty much dead for RPGs unfortunately, at least I don't know a single mmo or online rpg with a still alive pvp scene. Only one I could think of rn that's not p2w is GW1, which still has a rather active GvG community but ehh.. gw1 just doesn't compare to gw2 game play wise imo, way less fun. Final Fantasy 14 apparently is also quite big again but maybe the hype after some pvp reworks has already fallen off and I think the game play is also pretty kitten compared to GW2 or ESO (which, imo, has pretty bs pvp too unfortunately).

Edited by DoomNexus.5324
typo
  • Like 3

49 minutes ago, DoomNexus.5324 said:

Maybe open world or WvW. Those are the 2 things not mentioned and considering open world pve is the single most played type of content, followed by WvW, it's also highly probable I'd say.

Anet wants PvP to die and players should stop taking PvP seriously. Even back when Anet still had some people caring about the game mode (like BenP) virtually nothing happened. Now that Anet has absolutely no person even remotely interested in PvP the game mode is dead for good.
And I think the shift in focus even comes from the very top as NCSoft has apparently abandoned pvp in all their games. The PvP section in Blade&Souls forum is also pretty dire and this game even had a rather successful e-sport league for quite a long time (unlike GW2's journey into esl, which was more like a flash in the pan).

So yea. I think PvP in general is pretty much dead for RPGs unfortunately, at least I don't know a single mmo or online rpg with a still alive pvp scene. Only one I could think of rn that's not p2w is GW1, which still has a rather active GvG community but ehh.. gw1 just doesn't compare to gw2 game play wise imo, way less fun. Final Fantasy 14 apparently is also quite big again but maybe the hype after some pvp reworks has already fallen off and I think the game play is also pretty kitten compared to GW2 or ESO (which, imo, has pretty bs pvp too unfortunately).

Most active PvP would be ESO.

The whole endgame content evolves around PvP.

Best moneymaker is for example Imperial city, which is basically a PvP enabled PvE map.  Where you have to farm bosses, and then gain currency.  But you drop your currency, should you die to another player.  You need to then extract it to put it in your bank.  Hunting people there is the best moneymaker in the whole game.

The main crutch is the combat.   Its good...well.. not for everyone i guess.... but being good, really makes a difference in ESO, and i liked that alot. 

With my MagikaTemplar i could literally go 1v4 alot of the time. I really really like, when numbers isnt everything.   In GW2, a 10 man group will always win against a 5 man group.   In ESO... you can build your charackter to gain increasing strength while fighting multiple people and you can literally take on 10 people alone.   I LOVED that.    

..... but you need to animation cancel soooooooo much, that your fingers will hurt after 2 hours. Or you need to join the darkside and Macro it.

and Cyrodiil (WvW) lags like CRAZY, so i quit.

Edited by Sahne.6950
  • Confused 2

The only reasons to really play PvP at this point is for the nostalgia and ease of getting into it.

• No one takes it seriously anymore. If they do, they're probably ex-pros or frustrated at awful matches.
  • Easy dailies while doing other dailies.
  • Well designed combat system.
  • People with ADHD trying to wane off from GW2 over time due to it being their first big hyperfixation while growing up. (Hi!)
  • Memelords wanting to do funny things with their buds.
  • ULTRA LIT COOL MLG GAMEPLAY ON YOUTUBE!
Edited by Vinny.7260
Added other relevant things peeps do
  • Haha 1

On 12/19/2023 at 9:50 AM, Sahne.6950 said:

Most active PvP would be ESO.

The whole endgame content evolves around PvP.

Best moneymaker is for example Imperial city, which is basically a PvP enabled PvE map.  Where you have to farm bosses, and then gain currency.  But you drop your currency, should you die to another player.  You need to then extract it to put it in your bank.  Hunting people there is the best moneymaker in the whole game.

The main crutch is the combat.   Its good...well.. not for everyone i guess.... but being good, really makes a difference in ESO, and i liked that alot. 

With my MagikaTemplar i could literally go 1v4 alot of the time. I really really like, when numbers isnt everything.   In GW2, a 10 man group will always win against a 5 man group.   In ESO... you can build your charackter to gain increasing strength while fighting multiple people and you can literally take on 10 people alone.   I LOVED that.    

..... but you need to animation cancel soooooooo much, that your fingers will hurt after 2 hours. Or you need to join the darkside and Macro it.

and Cyrodiil (WvW) lags like CRAZY, so i quit.

Well, I think since this is the sub-forum dedicated to sPvP nobody is really talking about siege battles (WvW/Cyrodiil) or PvEvP or stuff like that. While they can certainly be a lot of fun and I do also like to join WvW for example, it's not what this is about.
The equivalent to sPvP in ESO would be Battlegrounds, which you didn't even mention and I think not even talking about what should probably be the most competitive PvP mode also has some message.

Like I said, I think sPvP in rpgs is dead - or maybe was never really alive/too niche to sustain any real competition.
There were certainly some games with quite large populations in arenas and battlegrounds, thinking of WoW for example, but for some reason every RPG game studio just ruins their arena-style PvP scene sooner or later and I don't really know why.. And I'd argue that it's actually the studios themselves because usually the game mode is thriving (maybe not financially enough to the shareholder's liking tho?) until a series of controversial adjustments is implemented or the devs just completely abandon it and all the players just lose interest.

30 minutes ago, DoomNexus.5324 said:

And I'd argue that it's actually the studios themselves because usually the game mode is thriving

I don't think that's true at all.
Not in the modern times, anyways. Maybe in the early-mid 2000s, when virtually everyone did some level of PvP in the mmos around at the time (WoW, GW1, EQ, etc), when online PC gaming was still extremely niche.

But I don't think the audience that mmos garner now are or will ever be interested in PvP, the amount of people participating in it is a very low percentage of the playerbases.

ESO pvp isn't actually that popular. Neither IC nor Battlegrounds see very much play, and Cyro campaigns aren't that big either.
95% of their playerbase treats the game as Skyrim and never touches Trials, Vet content, or PvP.

• Like 2

Me: Posting about a dead game mode that needs a quality-of-life patch because it's been 5 years since we've got a drip of development time.
Others: IT"S A DEAD GAME MODE BRO

Yes, we know. That's why I'm posting this. This game mode has dedicated maps, queue systems, automated tournaments, achievements, gear, dailies, weeklies and has been considered a 'pillar' of the game since launch. My call is for a breath of life, just some sort of periodic improvement like EVERY other game mode gets. It doesn't need to be a team or a dedicated person or anything on going. Just a top off to show the community that is left that they are valued as paying customers. I try to consolidate other good ideas I've seen on this forum so developers can reference it if they ever were allowed to help. Google suggests about 250 developers at Anet and it's insane that there has been 0 output from this AAA MMO.

5 hours ago, Voraxen.2035 said:

Me: Posting about a dead game mode that needs a quality-of-life patch because it's been 5 years since we've got a drip of development time.
Others: IT"S A DEAD GAME MODE BRO

Yes, we know. That's why I'm posting this. This game mode has dedicated maps, queue systems, automated tournaments, achievements, gear, dailies, weeklies and has been considered a 'pillar' of the game since launch. My call is for a breath of life, just some sort of periodic improvement like EVERY other game mode gets. It doesn't need to be a team or a dedicated person or anything on going. Just a top off to show the community that is left that they are valued as paying customers. I try to consolidate other good ideas I've seen on this forum so developers can reference it if they ever were allowed to help. Google suggests about 250 developers at Anet and it's insane that there has been 0 output from this AAA MMO.

Anything Anet does is met with complaining in PvP. Why bother doing anything if either way the result is whining?

• Like 1

9 hours ago, Voraxen.2035 said:

Anything that any game developer does is met with complaining. Especially with MMOs. That doesn't mean you stop development for your game. /shrug

They didn't stop developing the game, they just stopped adding new content to PvP, the results are the same as if they were actively working on new stuff, complaining.

• Like 1

• 2 months later...
On 3/26/2024 at 2:24 PM, Severiun.6495 said:

Bump.     WOW players got a battle royal pvp game mode (plunderstorm).  It looks fun.   Anet please take note, and come up with something innovative too, to bring some life to sPVP. 

It's stupid how fun that gamemode actually looks. It's a WoW version of Spellbreaker, essentially. (rip spellbreaker)

Imagine a GW2 battle royal just like that except you level progress for your own class specific skills. Would be pog.

• Like 2

On 12/20/2023 at 11:53 PM, Shagie.7612 said:

But I don't think the audience that mmos garner now are or will ever be interested in PvP, the amount of people participating in it is a very low percentage of the playerbases.

I have never understood this take. All the biggest games in the world are pvp based. And its not even close. MMOs are no different - its just not handled well long term. They tend to die off quickly as a result. FYI - Guild Wars 2 was launched an a Primary PvP Game. 

• Like 2

On 3/26/2024 at 7:24 PM, Severiun.6495 said:

Bump.     WOW players got a battle royal pvp game mode (plunderstorm).  It looks fun.   Anet please take note, and come up with something innovative too, to bring some life to sPVP. 

We ALREADY have fun PvP activities - such as.... Activities - https://wiki.guildwars2.com/wiki/Activity

Southsun Survival

Edited by asha.4159