no permanent Raptor mounts for accounts that only own Guild Wars 2: Secrets of the Obscure

I just got the confirmation by customer support that folks who only buy Guild Wars 2: Secrets of the Obscure will not receive a permanent Raptor mount at level 10, unlike the accounts who only have Hearts of Thorns:

GM Zody (Guild Wars 2 Support)

Jul 1, 2023, 20:43 PDT

Hello,

Thank you for contacting Guild Wars 2 Support.

[...]

As for the Raptor Mount, mounts are only obtainable through the Path of Fire Expansion and by completing their related Mastery track.

You check this link for more information about the Raptor Mount: https://wiki.guildwars2.com/wiki/Mount
Mount Acquisition Notes
Raptor

New Player Experience: New accounts with an expansion unlocked will be granted permanent access to the mount after they reach level 10 (or the next multiple of 10) on a single character.

In Path of Fire: Complete Sparking the Flame story mission.
In End of Dragons: Talk to the Help the tengu of Cobble Ward restore their district (80) NPC Strigidae in New Kaineng City. Completing the heart is not required and the acquisition is free of charge.

• Able to leap across large distances and wide canyons. Leap distance is increased further if Canyon Jumping is trained.
  • Pulls nearby enemies with Tail Spin if Round Upmastery is trained.
  • Shared power: increased engage damage.

Looks like  Guild Wars 2: Secrets of the Obscure doesn't count as full expansion when it comes to the features of the New Player Experience.  

Edited by SarajielKikiVelika.4952
clarification
  • Like 5
  • Thanks 1
  • Haha 2
  • Confused 3
  • Sad 3

Well they're selling access to the legendary mount for $24.95, people who buy that will become new customers that they can sell skins to, and then many of those customers will pay $14.95 (it's on sale for 50% right now) for raptor, and open up even more consumers that will buy skins. Is it part of a business model maybe?

Edited by Witch Engine.2305
  • Like 2
  • Sad 1

37 minutes ago, Witch Engine.2305 said:

Is it part of a business model maybe?

The term you are looking for is a "scam".

53 minutes ago, Schimmi.6872 said:

The deluxe edition even contains a raptor skin, so not offering access to the raptor with SotO would be a really strange decision?

The funny thing about SotO-only and EoD-only accounts is that you can't even access the mount and glider section in the hero panel. You also can't buy any mount skins.

However, if you acquire a skin unlock item (mount or glider) like the ones from the deluxe editions or from a Black Lion chest, you can apply that skin once to only one of your characters. If you just unlock a skin via a wardrobe unlock, you won't be able to apply the skin although it's unlocked for your account.

As I said above, this isn't just shady or scummy, it's basically a scam.

• Like 5
  • Thanks 1
  • Confused 7
  • Sad 2

59 minutes ago, SarajielKikiVelika.4952 said:

The funny thing about SotO-only and EoD-only accounts is that you can't even access the mount and glider section in the hero panel. You also can't buy any mount skins.

However, if you acquire a skin unlock item (mount or glider) like the ones from the deluxe editions or from a Black Lion chest, you can apply that skin once to only one of your characters. If you just unlock a skin via a wardrobe unlock, you won't be able to apply the skin although it's unlocked for your account.

I dunno, if I were a new player and found out I didn't get the raptor I'd probably be a tiny bit upset, but that sadness would be offset by getting a free legendary flying mount, and I'm certain it's going to free with very little hastle because it's needed to play the DLC and no longer a privilege.

The gliding thing might be an issue, but I'd imagine that would be given to new players who bought SOTO. I have no idea though.

Edited by Witch Engine.2305
  • Thanks 1
  • Confused 2

I'd update my ticket and ask for it to be escalated to a Senior Team Member, as an expansion is an expansion; not just Path of Fire. 

• For characters that are already over level 10 and missed the initial unlock checkpoint, we will attempt to grant the unlock every 10 levels. This is true for both Play for Free and expansion accounts. We are working on additional methods to offer this unlock to players not caught by this fallback solution.
  • In Guild Wars 2: End of Dragons, it can be acquired free of charge by talking to Strigidae in Cobble Ward in New Kaineng City.
  •  
Edited by Inculpatus cedo.9234
  • Like 3
  • Thanks 1
  • Haha 1

2 hours ago, SarajielKikiVelika.4952 said:

I just got the confirmation by customer support that folks who only buy Guild Wars 2: Secrets of the Obscure will not receive a permanent Raptor mount at level 10, unlike the accounts who only have Hearts of Thorns:

Buying only the last expansion is like reading a book only the last chapter. Not realistic! Rushing hard for actual content is a good thing to ruin your enjoyment of the game. 

Anyway, I'm all for everyone having Raptors. But for those who only bought the latest expansion, Raptors are the least of the problems.

Edited by FiveBunnies.5730
  • Like 2
  • Thanks 2
  • Confused 2

On 7/2/2023 at 8:47 AM, SarajielKikiVelika.4952 said:

It's not a scam, gliding was apart of the story in HOT, raptor was apart of the story in pof, just because you want both features that has nothing to do with the new expac story, don't call it a scam when it's not.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1
  • Confused 3

5 hours ago, TheRunningSquire.3621 said:

It's not a scam, gliding was apart of the story in HOT, raptor was apart of the story in pof, just because you want both features that has nothing to do with the new expac story, don't call it a scam when it's not.

Well you did get both just entering EoD maps so why not the same with SotO

• Confused 1

• 4 weeks later...

As a brand new player who bought the SotO expansion, I'm pretty disappointed that I won't have access to the basic mount that's teased at level ten as well as no access to the Black Lion Trading Company -- as it still tells me I need an expansion to access it. I can make more than two characters but get zero other perks for an "upgraded account". 

If I would've known this was the case, I would've just paid the extra five bucks for the Path of Fire expansion, but given I have zero knowledge on anything in the game -- including expansions, I just bought the first -- cheapest expansion so that my account would be considered "premium" and I could enjoy the game unrestricted in my lower levels. But I guess that's not the case.

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1
  • Haha 1
  • Confused 3
  • Sad 3

29 minutes ago, Schteuben.7180 said:

If I would've known this was the case, I would've just paid the extra five bucks for the Path of Fire expansion, but given I have zero knowledge on anything in the game -- including expansions, I just bought the first -- cheapest expansion so that my account would be considered "premium" and I could enjoy the game unrestricted in my lower levels. But I guess that's not the case.

not to poke too many holes in your argument, but the Guild war 2 website lists SotO as "Expansion 4" and even steam has the Heart of Thorn/Path of Fire bundle listed first, so i'm not sure how you confuse SotO as being the "first" expansion, it's also pre-purchase, with the release date set for later this month.

• Like 2
  • Confused 3
  • Sad 1

15 minutes ago, Parasite.5389 said:

not to poke too many holes in your argument, but the Guild war 2 website lists SotO as "Expansion 4" and even steam has the Heart of Thorn/Path of Fire bundle listed first, so i'm not sure how you confuse SotO as being the "first" expansion, it's also pre-purchase, with the release date set for later this month.

First cheapest, not the first expansion.

ArenaNet is in the wrong here. The locked features only say to buy an expansion, they doesn't specify which. On a free account, there's a button to upgrade to a full account, which opens the store and lists SotO first. It's reasonable to expect everything to unlock for buying SotO.

1 hour ago, Schteuben.7180 said:

As a brand new player who bought the SotO expansion, I'm pretty disappointed that I won't have access to the basic mount that's teased at level ten as well as no access to the Black Lion Trading Company -- as it still tells me I need an expansion to access it. I can make more than two characters but get zero other perks for an "upgraded account".

The BLTC would have been locked regardless of which expansion you bought; it takes a few days after upgrading to unlock.

• Like 4
  • Thanks 1

1 hour ago, enigmatic.3576 said:

Maybe it's because SotO technically hasn't released so it's not counting yet?  Otherwise they need to quit marketing SotO and further releases as expansions or honor what they said that they would do.

Yeah, I'm assuming that's the deal. Hopefully at least. I'm enjoying my time in the game so far, but it rubbed me the wrong way but it's nothing too major.  I'm glad most others are agreeing that it's kinda shady. I'll end up getting all expansions I'm sure but I'll probably hold off til the end of August now.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1
  • Sad 1

17 hours ago, Gibson.4036 said:

Why would you want one? We all know the skyscale makes all other mounts obsolete.

/s

It really doesn't. 

It makes them less used for sure as skyscale it the best "all rounder", but ... Springer is the only mount that is almost obsolete when you get a skyscale

Skimmer, Roller Bettle and Griffon are still top tier mounts

(if you're not using skyscale and griffon as a combo in air, you're missing out. Skyscale feels like a turtle compared to griffon)

Jackal/Raptor are also good in many circumstances

Warclaw for WvW

Edited by jokke.6239
  • Like 3
  • Sad 1

5 hours ago, jokke.6239 said:

It really doesn't. 

It makes them less used for sure as skyscale it the best "all rounder", but ... Springer is the only mount that is almost obsolete when you get a skyscale

Skimmer, Roller Bettle and Griffon are still top tier mounts

(if you're not using skyscale and griffon as a combo in air, you're missing out. Skyscale feels like a turtle compared to griffon)

Jackal/Raptor are also good in many circumstances

Warclaw for WvW

Looks like you missed the /s in my post.

• Sad 1

15 hours ago, ProfileName.9281 said:

That's awesome. I do feel like anet made this change based on feedback but either way its great.

I'd almost think maybe it was another oversight. As of now, Revenant isn't unlocked with just SotO since it isn't a real expansion (compared to previous ones).

• Confused 1
  • Sad 1