Most overpowered builds ever in PvP?

ddos.1407

18 minutes ago, DeceiverX.8361 said:

In absolute power?  Probably Cele Ele or Chronobunker.  Cele Ele was OP in an era where people were dealing like 15k burst combos and two-shotting each other on glass builds without batting an eye, and this build could still manage to tank 3-4 players at a time and resulted in both an sPvP format change and a literal change to Might as a boon game-wide.

In relative power?  Current cata is up there but I'd still probably say Chronobunker.  Chronobunker literally killed sPvP as a format it was so oppressive, and Cele Ele is only not up there because at least teams started getting smart and bringing a necro to deal with it because defensive boons and cleanses weren't nearly as spammable as they are today.  Shiro Herald is an honorable mention, it was still somewhat vulnerable to a few builds and wasn't a completely immovable object preventing node loss.

Yeah it's easy to forget the state of the game back in 2015. What I find funny is everyone remembers chrono bunker but not viper herald in that meta which was also an enabler of the horrible bunker we saw through infused light rez so you couldn't even cleave downs. Lots of good mentions throughout this thread.

• Like 2

11 hours ago, Morwath.9817 said:

Scrouge/FB was meta, because it wasn't norm... but imagine all boons on Cata constantly turning into conditions and all conditions applied to enemy team either turned into boons or sent back with Plague Signet 😎. One shotting them? When you've perma weakness, thru barriers and protection? No way.

40k unblockable rapid fire from slb says hi.
cant apply weakness from 2000 range 😄

• Like 1

-Release scourge, before the shade skills were given animations, was completely busted and required zero skill to play since you could just oneshot people with invisible instant cast aoes.

-Mirage post phantasm rework was cracked especially once people realized how oppressive being able to dodge while CC'd was.

-Chrono condi bunk. Similar to scourge it had the problem of being extremely powerful despite requiring absolutely no skill to play. Can you do a defensive rotation while spamming clones/phantasms on cooldown? Congrats, you can 1v2 Platinum-Legendary players. Or 1v3 some gold players. Or just flat out 1v5 in unranked. 

-Vindicator when it was bugged to have infinite endurance exploits. Although technically bugs shouldn't count, it took anet slightly longer than it should have to fix this one.

-Original Cele ele. Did everything. No downside. No counters.

-In comparison to other builds being played, current SD Cata is easily in top 3 most busted builds.

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

LOL. We are going back to the fun times. No particular order.

Chronobunker (I still remember the 1v5 I saw at mid)
Condi Reaper (On release)
Power Reaper (When first iteration of Condi Reaper got nerfed)
Condi Mirage (When clones were buffed and traits unnerfed)
Heal Tempest (Cleric Amulet)
Boonbeast (I'm surprised NO ONE mentioned this. Y'all don't remember when Soulbeasts ran Siamoth and had access to every boon in the game?)
Druid (When they had VAST more healing, roots, and evade at the beginning of HoT)
Spellbreaker (Ah yes, when they could kill you with a stun and one damage rotation)
Condi Berserker (HoT version)
Immortal Condi Renegade (Two or three years ago I wanna say?)
Power Herald (On release, one shot city)
Fire Weaver (Glory days, but also chaos)
Symbol Firebrand (Axe 2 the whole entire point for gains)
Scourge + Firebrand (God, pretty sure I had blood pressure issues during this era)
Power Grenade Holosmith (*gags* Bad times)
Condi Daredevil (This era was VERY brief, but thieves did have overtuned condi traits at one point)
Power Soulbeast (Can't remember if it because they had gotten buffed or because their traits started out strong)

Edited by Dreams.3128
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Bunker Chrono

Boonbeast

Cleric Druid (Specifically with Bristleback when it did like 12k).

Cleric Tempest

Harrier Firebrand

Scourge + FB combo

Release Scourge (Specifically the condi Curses one)

CI Mirage

Lost Time Chrono (Crit for 3k on CC, not rupt)

Viper Herald (That Infused Res was nasty)

Decap Scrapper (Throw Mine)

Mercenary Reaper (with old Deathly Chill)

Release Vindicator

Boon Chrono (Phantasms + Signet of Inspiration to share all boons in the game)

Cele Renegade (Prompted anet to remove Cele lol)

These aren't in a specific order, just as I remember them

• Thanks 1

I don't see release Bladesworn in anyone's list.  I guess it wasn't as OP as people stated when it came out ...... (tac reload reloading shouts was busted lol).  

Oh ...and give Shake it off it's 2 charges back in PvP and WvW.  With all the condi spam that ANET seems to promote, at least give us enough tools to try and counterplay (since you just screwed over Mending for STR users)

• Like 2

20 hours ago, Dorsai.1458 said:

I don't see release Bladesworn in anyone's list.  I guess it wasn't as OP as people stated when it came out ...... (tac reload reloading shouts was busted lol).  

Oh ...and give Shake it off it's 2 charges back in PvP and WvW.  With all the condi spam that ANET seems to promote, at least give us enough tools to try and counterplay (since you just screwed over Mending for STR users)

Honestly, I thought about Bladesworn and totally forgot because that's when I was on my break. I didn't experience it myself, but I heard Bladesworns were literally just immortal meatsticks that you would swing at because they could lock down a point all day. 

20 hours ago, Dorsai.1458 said:

He was too broken. But his brokeness source was a bug, so I don't know (for my own list) whether to include a class that doesn't work as intended is a good choice. 'Cause immortal herald and deadeye (both from recent updates) are good proposals in that case. And If there's no Cata and Tempest; he would be one of the strongest classes right now. So, I prefer nerfs on current OP ones than buffs on almost OP ones.

Edited by AlPower.2476

Yeah ...BS sustain was nuts at launch.  But in classic GW2 style, they overnerfed the sucker.  The fixed the shout bug, but also removed Stab from dragon trigger.  BS still hasn't fully recovered from the latter.  ANET loves wars skills that root you in place.  

I don't think anything has ever topped the initial release of Dhuumfire Necromancer. One of the filthiest builds ever released. 

D/P thief bullied almost every other high damage build out of the meta for the first 3 years. It was mandatory on every team, but people just pretended it wasn't an issue. Like yeah, you're a thief, you're supposed to teleport all over, instakill anything with a zerker amulet, and be an autowin in +1 fights. 

Ele wasn't nearly as powerful as people seem to remember it. Bunker builds had no killing power. They just stalled and kited when they inevitably started losing because they weren't great duelists and fell out of favor among dedicated 1v1 players once people got good at the game and could read their big slow telegraphs. It was only strong in conquest because of its sustain and mobility. Eventually builds like Spirit Ranger and Hambow became more powerful than ele at its peak. 

Edited by Caffynated.5713
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1
  • Confused 1

On 7/11/2023 at 11:42 PM, Caffynated.5713 said:

I don't think anything has ever topped the initial release of Dhuumfire Necromancer. One of the filthiest builds ever released. 

It could be countered with ranged builds so it wasn't as busted as the builds like S-cata right now which have no real counter, but it seemed more busted than it was because it was stupid easy to play. There was a bot playing it in the top 25 leaderboards. That was the prime complaint a lot of people had back then, it made it so even the trashiest awfulbad scrub could just go mid and press buttons and it was just as if not more effective as any high-skill build.

• Thanks 2