Only Fun Allowed - What have you enjoyed about playing mesmer lately?

Puffer Fish.1796

Hey all, returning veteran player after a 4 year hiatus here.

I see that the forums are all salt as usual, so I wanted to try to make a thread that's a reprieve from that. So please, no responses like "nothing, it's not fun anymore". That's not in the spirit of the thread.

Let's talk about fun things you've done lately as a mesmer!

For me, I've recently made a charr mesmer and as weird as it is, I'm actually loving it. I'm leveling up the class manually after a level 30 boost so I can unlock some of the dang map and relearn how to play. I love my backstory for her, and can't wait to eventually have the skins I need to make her look the way I want her to to fit.

• Like 3
  • Confused 3

I have a Sylvari Mesmer that was my first character I created when I started playing last year.

Chrono had been my favorite spec but even though I found it boring I was playing Mirage because it was straight up better.

But with this patch upcoming I decided to get away from the Mirage that I didn't care for anyways and respecced as a Condi Virtuoso.

I've been having more fun with the class now than I have in a long time. I have been playing it much more than I had been before the patch.

• Like 3

5 minutes ago, Roadkizzle.2157 said:

I have a Sylvari Mesmer that was my first character I created when I started playing last year.

Chrono had been my favorite spec but even though I found it boring I was playing Mirage because it was straight up better.

But with this patch upcoming I decided to get away from the Mirage that I didn't care for anyways and respecced as a Condi Virtuoso.

I've been having more fun with the class now than I have in a long time. I have been playing it much more than I had been before the patch.

Nice!

I played Chrono for a while, and only really unlocked Mirage but didn't get to play much of it before I left for a long time. Can't wait to try virtuoso.

Virtuoso combat I feel is much more fluid than the other specs. Just because the Illusions are tied to the player instead of the targets.

With Chrono and Mirage it feels so clunky trying to build up clones to use for Shatters but then their target dies so the clones disappear so you have to create them again.

But the Virtuoso can seamlessly transition from target to target and it just feels better.

• Like 4
  • Thanks 1

I'm a return player too, and just relearning my (core) Mesmer has been fun. The muscle memory of movement and skills is slowly coming back. 😁 I hadn't trained Chrono (the only elite spec at the time) so filling in those gaps, topping up masteries, exploring new map areas and wrapping up story bits I didn't actually finish has been fun.

And considering all the forum saltiness, I almost hesitate to take the elite spec plunge on this guy.  🤣

• Like 2

7 minutes ago, Teknomancer.4895 said:

I'm a return player too, and just relearning my (core) Mesmer has been fun. The muscle memory of movement and skills is slowly coming back. 😁 I hadn't trained Chrono (the only elite spec at the time) so filling in those gaps, topping up masteries, exploring new map areas and wrapping up story bits I didn't actually finish has been fun.

And considering all the forum saltiness, I almost hesitate to take the elite spec plunge on this guy.  🤣

Well, I think the elite specs are very worth it, it's just a matter of recognizing that they're not tailor built to you specifically but rather to the way ANet has tried to balance things this patch cycle and they're not specifically trying to "ruin" any particular class/spec combo. That will reduce your personal sodium levels significantly.

• Like 1
  • Confused 2

12 minutes ago, Duglaive.5236 said:

A massive Charr axe Mirage in the Knight Mage outfit ... Never dull to watch that fellow spinning about with what looks to be a sombrero on his head :classic_tongue:

Oh that's amazing lmao. Which means all his clones have sombreros. if only mesmer was a bard style class, you could have a mariachi band.

• Like 2

I have always loved my Mirage. None of the other Mesmer specs or other professions are as fun as Mirage is to me. I love all the blinking around and spinning. I wish I had more opportunities to use portal, that is the absolute best ability in any game I have ever played.  I'm sad I don't get to use it very much.  I'm really looking forward to using other weapons when the new expansion comes out. 

• Like 1

8 hours ago, Veprovina.4876 said:

The new Escape artist is a step in the right direction for WvW i guess.

The upcoming changes to Mirage Mantle look nice. Providing some needed extra effects based on the Ambush being used. 

• Like 1
  • Confused 4

4 minutes ago, Mell.4873 said:

The upcoming changes to Mirage Mantle look nice. Providing some needed extra effects based on the Ambush being used. 

Power Mirage may definitely return with boosted damage to the Greatsword Ambush.

At least in some circumstances. It will be great for farming. Probably still lacking in killing bosses.

• Confused 1

I noticed all the Virtuoso builds required Rampagers gear.. since i got back. So i tried it and well survivability is bad.... But i decided to try my old celestial build instead and it kills almost fast 85% ish but survives way better 95% ish so i basically decided to stick with my old build for fun 🥰

Edited by Dante.1508

Has always been having fun using virt in instanced contents since last year. Very easy rotation, amazing sustained dps and survivability in bosses encounter, having on-demand / built-in boonstrip is great for T4 CM, have an array of amazing utility kits for certain instanced PVE encounters such as Moa Signet / Feedback's reflect / Mass Invis / Portals. Overall, one of the best dps profession that you could play if your focus is instanced pve contents. 

6 hours ago, Mell.4873 said:

In the competitive play I dont see Mirage mantle being used whatsoever, desert distortion is too good to pass up considering how much nerfs mirage got over the past years as well as our vigor uptime.

I kind of still enjoy alac mirage in open world and raids, its not good in raids, maybe till 18th and then it will be (i got higher boon duration and well my teams lack regen often so i make sure I give priority to boons rather than dps) , but its always gonna be bad in fractals, so chrono there, not that chrono is much better and im not used to playing it. 

4 hours ago, Dante.1508 said:

I noticed all the Virtuoso builds required Rampagers gear.. since i got back. So i tried it and well survivability is bad.... But i decided to try my old celestial build instead and it kills almost fast 85% ish but survives way better 95% ish so i basically decided to stick with my old build for fun 🥰

The rampager's build is not rly for solo unless ur good with it, but it does do way more dmg with the right rotation, the trick with it is using phantasms and shatters and resetting them with signet skills. Without good timing its kind of mediocre. Celestial is fine in open world but mirage is way better at that even now. I could do about 16k on golem using only self buffs in cele gear as staff mirage a while ago, i might do more now but i couldnt check cause my pc has been bricked till yesterday, maybe ill try today cause i havent seen for myself how the latest changes affect mesmer. And if u play well u will never die on staff mirage. 

Edited by Cenzurat.7013

14 hours ago, Salt Mode.3780 said:

In the competitive play I dont see Mirage mantle being used whatsoever, desert distortion is too good to pass up considering how much nerfs mirage got over the past years as well as our vigor uptime.

I just wanted to play Alacrity Mirage Support in PvE again. Im so good at it but they kept slowly nerfing it. 

We know my situation, I play Ranger in PvP and that got a huge buff this patch. Let it Loose is a much better Trait over Fervent Force in terms of PvP. 

• Confused 3

In a weird way, I feel like I'm in a slightly better place by having been gone for years than if I had been playing all throughout. That applies to all classes, actually.

Yes I have to re-learn everything, but I can approach learning the new (to me) elite specs as they currently exist, rather than coming from a place of being used to how they worked before changes were implemented.

I literally don't know what I was missing , so there's no frame of comparison. 🙃

• Like 2