Disparity between 1-handed and 2-handed weapons

This is something that has been slowly building up as an issue for me, with each expansion we got a new weapon for each class, and I understand the effort and work it took to thematically link these weapons to the new elite specs, but with the addition of new weapons to each base class being announced something doesn't sit right with me.

Why do some classes get 2-handed weapons/2 1-handed weapons (5 new weapon skills) and some classes get just 1 1-handed weapon (3 new weapon skills)? Classes aren't getting the same amount of new stuff, and that seems weird to me.

It also leads me onto the the crafting of weapons, especially legendary weapons. Legendary weapons offer a QoL improvement for stat changing and sharing between characters. Those are the main benefits of the legendary weapon, but why does crafting a 1-handed legendary cost near enough the same materials as a 2-handed legendary? You only get half the stat changing benefit and if you are a class like Elementalist or Necromancer that uses the least number of 2-handed weapons, you have to use twice as many materials to creat 2 1-handed legendaries just to get the same bonus as a single 2-handed one. Shouldn't the cost of lucky clovers, mystic coins, anitque summoning stones etc, be half as much?

• Like 7
  • Thanks 1
  • Confused 9

26 minutes ago, Yogurt Goblin.5934 said:

Why do some classes get 2-handed weapons/2 1-handed weapons (5 new weapon skills) and some classes get just 1 1-handed weapon (3 new weapon skills)?

You're likely not counting the number of skills correctly nor accounting for class mechanics. 

E.g. elementalist getting a main hand gets 12 new skills, and and 6 dual skills due to weaver for a total of 18. Thief getting a mainhand gets 3 skills, 2 dual skills, and 2 stealth skills due to deadeye for a total of 7. If ele got an offhand it would add 8 more skills for a total of 26, if thief got an offhand it would add another 6(?) For a total of 13. 

• Like 8

As a necro I do feel we were done dirty when it comes to xpac weapons after HoT.
A torch and a pistol. Full set of 5 skills....over two xpacs.

On the other hand i can imagine warriors are pretty happy about the weapons they got!
Especially the offhands! *sinister low volume chuckling*

Edited by ZeftheWicked.3076
  • Like 1
  • Confused 4

2 hours ago, kharmin.7683 said:

Are you counting shroud mechanic skills?

I think this is just about the new SOTO weapon skills...

in which case, yeah, as been stated: you are *severely* undercounting skills-per-class gained. Anyone who go main-and-off-hand or a two-hander with SOTO has, in total, got *fewer* skills than, say, thief or elementalist.

• Like 1
  • Confused 1

It would be considerate of the Devs to actually explain their reasoning for the weapons they chose for each class. 

They are suppose to fill in gaps  that the elites currently don't offer on there own.

And....Ahem...Warriors should have gotten Scepter as a Support MH!

We all know you are just gonna throw us some weaker and more watered down version of Rev and Guard Staff.

• Like 2
  • Confused 4

On 7/11/2023 at 12:07 PM, Yogurt Goblin.5934 said:

but why does crafting a 1-handed legendary cost near enough the same materials as a 2-handed legendary?

Because it's fashion. When introduced, legendaries were almost entirely about the fashion, draw effects, footfalls, skill animations etc. There was a time when the skin wardrobe didn't exist and the only weapons with legendary skins in the game were just those legendary weapons. And you couldn't even freely swap infusions and sigils on legendary weapons, you always had to overwrite. To my knowledge the only feature legendary weapons came with from the start was stat-swapping.

The majority of features we associate with "legendary" QoL these days weren't part of the original identity of legendary equipment. And since they weren't about QoL, but instead about fashion, there was never a reason to weigh how "useful" a legendary weapon was, no, if anything, being able to wield two legendary weapons at the same time was even cooler than a single 2-handed weapon. Twice the fashion, twice the price.

Anet did rectify that to a small degree with the newer generations with gen2 2-handed weapons being more expensive than mainhand weapons being more expensive than offhand weapons (the first 4 gen2 legys are an exception to this rule as the acquisition method is different). For the aurene weapons I guess they just didn't care since the different skin variants are the "legy" part, turning the focus once more towards fashion.

/edit: I only started during LS2 part 7. Checked wiki and turns out that at the start, legendary weapons did not even have stat-swap functionality.

Edited by Endaris.1452
  • Like 4

On 7/15/2023 at 5:59 AM, Xperiment.6923 said:

It would be considerate of the Devs to actually explain their reasoning for the weapons they chose for each class. 

They are suppose to fill in gaps  that the elites currently don't offer on there own.

And....Ahem...Warriors should have gotten Scepter as a Support MH!

We all know you are just gonna throw us some weaker and more watered down version of Rev and Guard Staff.

Sorry but you make no sense to me.
Warrior has no dedicated heal option and somehow a 1h weapon is supposed to fill the gap better than a two hander?

• Sad 1

On 7/12/2023 at 3:57 PM, The Boz.2038 said:

I think this is just about the new SOTO weapon skills...

in which case, yeah, as been stated: you are *severely* undercounting skills-per-class gained. Anyone who go main-and-off-hand or a two-hander with SOTO has, in total, got *fewer* skills than, say, thief or elementalist.

Well, he would be right about Revenant. They only get MH sceptre.

7 hours ago, ZeftheWicked.3076 said:

Sorry but you make no sense to me.
Warrior has no dedicated heal option and somehow a 1h weapon is supposed to fill the gap better than a two hander?

Yes because warhorn is a good OH grp utility. Makes sense to be paired with a MH grp utility like Scepter. Open up any card deck...what's that king holding...a Scepter. 

Edited by Xperiment.6923
  • Haha 1
  • Confused 1

16 minutes ago, Xperiment.6923 said:

Yes because warhorn is a good OH grp utility. Makes sense to be paired with a MH grp utility like Scepter. Open up any card deck...what's that king holding...a Scepter. 

I think we can all agree some kings like to play with their scepters a bit too much 😉
That being said, while not pretty having 1.5 healing weapon set (staff + non supportive mainhand + warhorn) is still a better deal than support mainhand + warhorn + nothing supportive on 2nd weapon set.

• Haha 1
  • Sad 1

On 7/12/2023 at 12:22 PM, ZeftheWicked.3076 said:

As a necro I do feel we were done dirty when it comes to xpac weapons after HoT.
A torch and a pistol. Full set of 5 skills....over two xpacs.

On the other hand i can imagine warriors are pretty happy about the weapons they got!
Especially the offhands! *sinister low volume chuckling*

You know, I was JUST about to go an a rant about how dumb that take is. 

Until I noticed. 

Good one. Almost got me. 😅