can we see the rune changes before launch?

7 hours ago, Chocofox.9503 said:

Since launch is less than a month away it would be great if we could the new stats and bonuses for each rune that is being changed. It would make regearing ourselves  much easier rather than having a big delay upon the expansions launch.

According to the blog post, with the exception of the removal of the 6th. bonus special effect, the original, or first 5 attributes on all existing runes will remain unchanged. 

"When the expansion launches, each character of level 60 or above will receive a relic chest to get you started in the new system with a choice of three core relics (exact number subject to change). Additional core relics will not be account bound and can be crafted and shared between players."

As long as you're happy with how your characters level 60+ are geared now, then wouldn't it be best to leave them as is, until you see each characters choice of 3 core relics at launch? Depending on the choice, I imagine that there will be one of the three (or more) that you'll want to use, hopefully without having to regear your character at all. 

"If you have Guild Wars 2: Secrets of the Obscure, you’ll be able to acquire expansion relics... obtained through collections, achievements, or story progression. ... While you can’t trade them, they are available to all characters on your account by visiting an NPC relic vendor after you’ve unlocked them."

I know vets are really quick when it comes to collections, achievements etc., but since you're going to have to do some "work" to acquire expansion relics, then knowing in advance doesn't seem to give you much advantage there either, no?

Also, it seems like you'll be able to see all of the expansion relics available right at launch by visiting the NPC vendor, even if you haven't unlocked them yet.

EDIT: Just ignore me completely if what you were really concentrating on is the Legendary Relics... sorry. 😞  

Edited by Stelawrat.6589
Legendary Relics...
  • Like 2

A beta event to test them would probably be in everyone's best interest. Not sure if they have time to set one up though.

Pretty sure every past beta event has turned up some bugged interactions or something brokenly overpowered that Anet had missed. 

• Like 4
  • Sad 1

I think it's fairly easy to guess what the majority of the changes will be;

• all Unique effects are being removed: eg. summons, boon generation on trigger, conditional damage modifiers
  • cases where the 6th bonus includes a stat increase(+125) or Duration bonus(20%), that effect will remain unchanged
  • in cases where the 6th bonus is purely a unique effect; replace with Stat bonus or Duration bonus from 1st or 2nd bonus slot at +125/20%.  Eg. Rune of the Deadeye/Ogre will most likely be replaced with +125 ferocity, making them functionally the same as Scholar

But there are some outlier and anomolies:
Rune of the Fire:  4th bonus of gaining a fire aura in combat, this will probably be changed to might or burning duration
Rune of Mercy: 4th bonus reduces damage while reviving, would guess more Healing power
Rune of Snowfall:.... is a mess ¯\_(ツ)_/¯
It would be nice know what have will happen with Conversion bonuses like Rune of Exuberance/Rune of Scavenging

but otherwise i don't think we need an in-depth preview on EVERY rune change

• Like 1
  • Confused 1

4 hours ago, Stelawrat.6589 said:

EDIT: Just ignore me completely if what you were really concentrating on is the Legendary Relics... sorry. 😞 

I read the OP as asking what the 6th rune slots would end up being after the change.

2 parts stick out from Rubi's answers

On 7/20/2023 at 8:47 AM, Rubi Bayer.8493 said:
  • There are runes that have the same exact stat combinations up to 5 runes and then the 6th rune is different. For example, the runes of the pack, fireworks and surging. Now the rune of the pack actually gives stats (+125 precision) for the 6th rune. But the other two only have the special ability and give no stat bonus. Or does the 25% increase in movement speed count as a stat increase?
    • In cases like this, we’ll be making sure that runes with duplicate 1-5 bonuses have unique 6 slot stats. In this example, 25% movement speed will count as a stat increase and will be seen on a handful of rune 6 pieces.

• Will you be retiring any runes (due to duplicates or otherwise)?
    • No. All of the existing rune sets will have unique stat combinations and none of them will be removed.

Emphasis mine. So there will be some reworking of rune stats as we know them now. Until they give us an actual preview there's no way to know for sure what the final rune setups will be. Rubi says above that all runes will be unique, so that 6th slot is going to look different on otherwise identical sets.

Let the Theorycrafting Begin!

We cant. We don't actually know for sure what's changing yet. 🙂

Btw...rune changes still being up in the air, and the "significant progress" thing is why I went ahead and crafted the legendary runes last week. I had the mats anyways and just didn't want to deal with a rune rush headache at launch to go along with the relic implementation headache.

Edited by idpersona.3810
  • Like 2
  • Thanks 1
  • Confused 1
  • Sad 1

4 hours ago, Omega.6801 said:

Probably not to not mess with the TP.

A beta is just a preview on it's own server. No affect on the market until it goes live. I am sure people are already stocking up in prep for the update anyway.

Edited by Zeivu.3615

15 minutes ago, Zeivu.3615 said:

I am sure people are already stocking up in prep for the update anyway.

On the contrary. I sold all my runes that I stored in the bank. Because during the launch you don't get any corresponding relics for the runes that you own (only the relic selection boxes for each character) and most runes will probably drop in price after launch.

• Like 4
  • Confused 1

3 minutes ago, Zok.4956 said:

On the contrary. I sold all my runes that I stored in the bank. Because during the launch you don't get any corresponding relics for the runes that you own (only the relic selection boxes for each character) and most runes will probably drop in price after launch.

Fair enough. At least any of the runes worth having been stored will (likely) drop in price.
There's a chance that the budget rune substitutions might go up in price. Hard to tell.

• Sad 1

5 hours ago, Stelawrat.6589 said:

According to the blog post, with the exception of the removal of the 6th. bonus special effect, the original, or first 5 attributes on all existing runes will remain unchanged. 

"When the expansion launches, each character of level 60 or above will receive a relic chest to get you started in the new system with a choice of three core relics (exact number subject to change). Additional core relics will not be account bound and can be crafted and shared between players."

As long as you're happy with how your characters level 60+ are geared now, then wouldn't it be best to leave them as is, until you see each characters choice of 3 core relics at launch? Depending on the choice, I imagine that there will be one of the three (or more) that you'll want to use, hopefully without having to regear your character at all. 

"If you have Guild Wars 2: Secrets of the Obscure, you’ll be able to acquire expansion relics... obtained through collections, achievements, or story progression. ... While you can’t trade them, they are available to all characters on your account by visiting an NPC relic vendor after you’ve unlocked them."

I know vets are really quick when it comes to collections, achievements etc., but since you're going to have to do some "work" to acquire expansion relics, then knowing in advance doesn't seem to give you much advantage there either, no?

Also, it seems like you'll be able to see all of the expansion relics available right at launch by visiting the NPC vendor, even if you haven't unlocked them yet.

I think that the part that is being missing is most people care less about the first 5 stats and more about the sixth. Where the concern comes from is that if players like the way a toon is geared now and all those options are removed, then they are left with partial builds. So when the sixth bonuses were shared and they are nothing like any we have and people like those builds...that becomes the unknown. It impacts all the builds that were created considering how the sixth bonus changed the gameplay. That is why it is an issue and why lack of information is an overall issue raising issues with the expansion. Add to that Leggo runes and anywhere we people have stock piled runes so that they can switch as needed without Leggo ones and all of that is dumped overboard. Now more information might resolve some of this, but so far the more info has just made it seem worse. So take you own quote for a second for comparison:

'until you see each characters choice of 3 core relics at launch'

There are 100 runes currently, choice of 3? This in text by itself seems like major concern. Choice of 150 then we might be talking about it differently. So I hope it's just lack of info here. Now granted they mentioned 40 core ones, but that still means, without removing dups, 60 are removed. Stop and think about those numbers without having more info to reduce concerns.

So again, leave the 6 pieces in place and add a 7th trait to add freshness, not nerf 100 of them and break everyone builds be that 1 or 70 of them on day one.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 2
  • Confused 3
  • Sad 1

Thank you for the feedback people! o7

I'm afraid it's all way beyond me & because of that & the fact that I mainly PvE only, I realize that I don't have the same worry as you guys. 

But for sure I can appreciate that all of you, who really enjoy & take advantage of all of the game modes, have much more invested in the way of gear etc. than I do.

Hopefully, the devs are making really thoughtful decisions regarding the 6th. rune slot value replacements. 

Also, because they've said that the numbers aren't finalized yet, then maybe by launch time, each of our level 60+ characters will have more than 40 relics to make our choice of 3 from. 

Personally, even if they gave me all of these details in advance, I'd be no further ahead & even worse, I'd probably kitten myself trying to make any changes in advance of launch day. I'll just roll with the punches on that day. 😛 

Fingers crossed the infamous spaghetti code holds up what with all of this messing about!! 😕  

On previewing my post, I'm now wondering why my use of g i m p is censured? I sure as hell wouldn't f myself, so what the heck?! And if hell is permitted, then why isn't g i m p? Anyway I digress... 🙄

• Haha 1
  • Confused 1
  • Sad 1

17 minutes ago, Stelawrat.6589 said:

On previewing my post, I'm now wondering why my use of g i m p is censured? I sure as hell wouldn't f myself, so what the heck?! And if hell is permitted, then why isn't g i m p? Anyway I digress...

Don't ask google images.

• Thanks 1
  • Haha 1
  • Confused 1

17 hours ago, TheGrimm.5624 said:

I think that the part that is being missing is most people care less about the first 5 stats and more about the sixth. Where the concern comes from is that if players like the way a toon is geared now and all those options are removed, then they are left with partial builds. So when the sixth bonuses were shared and they are nothing like any we have and people like those builds...that becomes the unknown. It impacts all the builds that were created considering how the sixth bonus changed the gameplay. That is why it is an issue and why lack of information is an overall issue raising issues with the expansion. Add to that Leggo runes and anywhere we people have stock piled runes so that they can switch as needed without Leggo ones and all of that is dumped overboard. Now more information might resolve some of this, but so far the more info has just made it seem worse. So take you own quote for a second for comparison:

'until you see each characters choice of 3 core relics at launch'

There are 100 runes currently, choice of 3? This in text by itself seems like major concern. Choice of 150 then we might be talking about it differently. So I hope it's just lack of info here. Now granted they mentioned 40 core ones, but that still means, without removing dups, 60 are removed. Stop and think about those numbers without having more info to reduce concerns.

So again, leave the 6 pieces in place and add a 7th trait to add freshness, not nerf 100 of them and break everyone builds be that 1 or 70 of them on day one.

Think it's letting us choose between all of them and we get 3 per character actually.