Can someone smart tell me what to do with my mystic coins

I have quite a few that I'm not sure if I should save or sell. The price spiked after yesterday's announcement but it could always go up more, and there's no telling what will happen once the xpac launches. I'm still kicking myself for not selling them before EOD dropped and absolutely tanked the price.

I'm dumb and not good at this, so some expert tell me what to do

• Confused 1

I'm saving mine until I see what happens with the new Vault and in general how acquiring them changes. I'm more interested in using them rather than making gold, though, so priorities may vary.

I have at least one of every legendary weapon, plus runes and sigils, so am waiting to see about the new legendary armor and the relic. There are also a bunch of mystic forge recipes for items that they could be used for. So if you are at all thinking of using them, I'd save them.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

If I was looking to make a profit from them I'd sell them before SotO is released next Tuesday.

The price is going up now because of uncertainty - we know the supply will change because of the change to login rewards but we don't know if they will be easier or harder to get. Demand might change as well if they get new uses - we're not getting any new legendary weapons but they might be needed for new skins or as part of the legendary armour collection.

Once the expansion launches a lot of the uncertainty will go away (the full process for legendary armour still won't be known). That might lead to the price going up even more if it turns out they are harder to obtain (or even if they're easy but become one of the less interesting rewards under the new system) but it might also lead to it dropping rapidly because it turns out they're easy to get and/or there's no new uses.

That's what happened with EoD - the price shot up because people predicted they'd need a lot for the new legendary weapons, then it turned out they don't need many so lots of people who bought them for their own use sold the excess and people who stockpiled them tried to dump their stock before the price dropped too much.

It's a gamble either way, but if you sell them now you'll definitely get more than they've been worth for a while. If you wait until next week you might get even more, or you might get less, there's no way for us to know until it happens.

• Like 2

Not sure how many "quite a few" represents, but the fact that you are considering selling suggests that you aren't interested in Legendary gear... I have been there, and then subsequently regretted selling prematurely, not anticipating the use for that gear and then having to re-amass them slowly (or expensively through TP).  

Market fluctuates over time with everything... If you enjoy that speculation and that is how you like to make gold, that's great... But I'm always cautious at selling the stuff that is generally slower to acquire, simply because you don't know the future... how your perspective might change or the game itself...  Ultimately there are many ways to profitably make gold... As such, my opinion echoes DeanBB, however if you're already committed to selling, I also agree with Danikat and her perspective on the uncertainty in speculation. 

• Like 1
  • Sad 1

23 minutes ago, Garrison Storm.3046 said:

Not sure how many "quite a few" represents, but the fact that you are considering selling suggests that you aren't interested in Legendary gear... I have been there, and then subsequently regretted selling prematurely, not anticipating the use for that gear and then having to re-amass them slowly (or expensively through TP).  

Market fluctuates over time with everything... If you enjoy that speculation and that is how you like to make gold, that's great... But I'm always cautious at selling the stuff that is generally slower to acquire, simply because you don't know the future... how your perspective might change or the game itself...  Ultimately there are many ways to profitably make gold... As such, my opinion echoes DeanBB, however if you're already committed to selling, I also agree with Danikat and her perspective on the uncertainty in speculation. 

Yea IUm holding on to my 5.5k until legendary open world pve armor releases.

If it dont go up by more by then I will hold on to it longer.

• Like 1
  • Sad 1

I have quite a few that I'm not sure if I should save or sell.

use them to hire male sylvari stripter, good spended monay never brings regret

but to be serios about your question, your gabling about 2 thinks

1. you will can get less mystic coins compare to before = price go up

2. you will can get similar amount, if not more mystic coins = price go down

-> cons for sell

you got information that you will can pick reward you want, so focusing only on mystic coins, propably will be secound option, wher you will can get more of them

-> cons for keep 

but in same time thay reworkd login rewards to be more interactive insted of pasive, so even if you personaly will can get more of them, ppl that had 50-100 altaccounts, will get big L

so overall ther can be less mystic coins on auction house compare to before, making that price up

So my finansial advice is :

Shorterm -> Sell now/1d before dlc, as ppl panic, making price up, asuming 2 option price will go down for a bit after confirming evrythink is ok after dlc

Longterm -> keep it, cuz of chaning reward from pasive to interactive will make mc price up cuz of L all that ppl that had multiple accounts

Whatever you do i take 5% profit share and foot picks, ty

Edited by Noah Salazar.5430
  • Haha 1
  • Confused 1
  • Sad 1

17 hours ago, Thormano.7806 said:

I used to sell them to get gold until I started making legionary equipment (after 5 years playing!). So do what ever you want. They are always a quick source of ready cash!

Sadly, not the cash that they used to be.

I don't go for legendary gear so I store them up to a point and then sell half... just in case I change my mind on legendaries.

• Like 1

keep in mind that mystic coins aren't needed for all legendary equipment. the biggest sinks are the trinkets, but for weapons you can just get the gen1's, which don't require mystic coins beyond the clover forging and there's other ways to get mystic clovers.

all three sets of armor are also in a similar situation regarding mystic coins, though it's unknown what the fourth set will require.

so basically, unless you specifically plan to go for the trinkets (excluding the amulet), or specifically like the looks of a gen2 weapon, then i wouldn't bother saving them. once my trinkets were done i haven't needed a single mystic coin since i farm clovers from pvp and wvw reward tracks along with getting them from the pve end-of-month chests, and i've crafted full legendary armor, weapons, runes and sigils.

there is one thing to beware of, is that personal guild banks might need mystic coins for upgrades to reach the treasure trove.

Edited by SoftFootpaws.9134
  • Thanks 1

Toss a coin, 

If new dailies give mc, price drops

If nothing changes, price stable/rising and drop for a while due to people stocking.

If new whatever craftable uses mc, price is going to rise a lot.

For people with less than 250 mc nothing really changes. 

Edited by stormemperor.3745

What I would do is Sit on them till the price on the TP gets nice and high then mass sell them.  Make a pretty penny that way.  You might could use them to help aquire Ascended Weapons (Like the Specialization Collection stuff.)

Other then that, they are pretty much used Exclusively for Legendary Equipment.  Which, I guess is fine.  But I am of the opinion that Legendary Equipment isn't worth hunting down.  Its less about the reward of having Legendary Gear, and moreso about the bragging rights. "Hey, Look what I did."

So, Yeah, If you can't use it to get an Ascended Spec Weapon, Wait for the price to Spike on the TP and sell them.  See if you can't make a pretty penny off them. ^.^

• Like 1
  • Confused 1

4 hours ago, Gorani.7205 said:

*cough* legendary runes *cough*

Yep. But remember that the best order in which you can craft legendaries is armor (for your main) > trinkets (for all characters) > armor (for your not main) > weapons > runes > sigils. So legendary runes sits in the very long way run of crafting for most of players. Relics defeats the purpose of legendary runes (fortunately for me I'm finishing trinkets and some weapons) so won't hurt me (I never saw a reason to craft the runes since for the cost of a single one you can buy a pack of 7 of each rune in the game and legendary armors already allow you to equip/unequip without damaging them), but for people which already did the work...   Yeah, relics are a shame.

• Like 1

On 8/20/2023 at 4:36 AM, Buran.3796 said:

Yep. But remember that the best order in which you can craft legendaries is armor (for your main) > trinkets (for all characters) > armor (for your not main) > weapons > runes > sigils. So legendary runes sits in the very long way run of crafting for most of players. Relics defeats the purpose of legendary runes (fortunately for me I'm finishing trinkets and some weapons) so won't hurt me (I never saw a reason to craft the runes since for the cost of a single one you can buy a pack of 7 of each rune in the game and legendary armors already allow you to equip/unequip without damaging them), but for people which already did the work...   Yeah, relics are a shame.

I think that order is debatable. Or at the very least very far off the order I went in. Personally, I think the trinkets are much higher priority than armor. They are much more expensive though (purely in mat cost). And depending on how many characters/builds use a certain weapon, that can also be much higher in priority I think.

On the rune bit, personally I crafted them because I had several characters use dungeon runes and it became easier to craft them than to run dungeons over and over. Similar thing for sigils. It just became easier to do the large mat/gold sink once rather then go through getting the correct sigils for a given build.

Edited by idpersona.3810

18 minutes ago, idpersona.3810 said:

I think that order is debatable.

I agree. I don't do raids and don't do enough WvW to make armor, and no PvP. So it's been most used weapons > runes > sigils > remaining weapons (and a couple duplicates). With unbound magic I find trinkets cheap and easy, so haven't bothered with those legendaries. Looking forward to the new armor being offered in SotO.

• Like 1

13 minutes ago, DeanBB.4268 said:

I agree. I don't do raids and don't do enough WvW to make armor, and no PvP. So it's been most used weapons > runes > sigils > remaining weapons (and a couple duplicates). With unbound magic I find trinkets cheap and easy, so haven't bothered with those legendaries. Looking forward to the new armor being offered in SotO.

I did some weapons (greatsword and axe in particular) > Aurora > weapon > Backpack (WvW) > Weapons > Ring (WvW) > Weapons again > Vision > Weapons > Runes > 2nd Ring (WvW again) > Sigils.
Somewhere in there I got the Return to necklace. Still no armor though. That's my next WvW goal (or OW soon). The armor just takes so so long to get (like 250 hours of WvW or so). And Rings and Backpack were more universally used so tickets went towards them.

36 minutes ago, idpersona.3810 said:

I think that order is debatable. Or at the very least very far off the order I went in. Personally, I think the trinkets are much higher priority than armor. They are much more expensive though (purely in mat cost). And depending on how many characters/builds use a certain weapon, that can also be much higher in priority I think.

Trinkets of ascended quality can be bought by nothing just farming Season 3, 4 and Icebrood Saga tokens. They are so cheap and unexpensive to obtain that I never crafted exotic ones despite having jewelry at 400 since the release of the game. Dam, the amulet, ring and back piece from Bloodstone Fen can be even reset in stats for 100 unbound magic...  To put that in perspective: a single farming run of 4-6 minutes in Bitterfrost Frontier will provide you wintebrerries enough that once consumed you could reset your Bloodstine Fen trinkets a dozen of times...   On the other hand, ascended armor pieces are expensive, and reseting the stats is also expensive. So going first for amrnors and then for trinkets makes tons of sense, due convenience. Also, legendary  armor allows to swap runes, which had more impact in builds than the trinkets.

3 minutes ago, Buran.3796 said:

Trinkets of ascended quality can be bought by nothing just farming Season 3, 4 and Icebrood Saga tokens. They are so cheap and unexpensive to obtain that I never crafted exotic ones despite having jewelry at 400 since the release of the game. Dam, the amulet, ring and back piece from Bloodstone Fen can be even reset in stats for 100 unbound magic...  To put that in perspective: a single farming run of 4-6 minutes in Bitterfrost Frontier will provide you wintebrerries enough that once consumed you could reset your Bloodstine Fen trinkets a dozen of times...   On the other hand, ascended armor pieces are expensive, and reseting the stats is also expensive. So going first for amrnors and then for trinkets makes tons of sense, due convenience. Also, legendary  armor allows to swap runes, which had more impact in builds than the trinkets.

Oh, I'm not saying you're wrong. Just that the order is debatable. I truly get your point(s). I've just found armor more of a pain to get than the other (easier for me) legendaries.

• Confused 1

1 minute ago, idpersona.3810 said:

Oh, I'm not saying you're wrong. Just that the order is debatable. I truly get your point(s). I've just found armor more of a pain to get than the other (easier for me) legendaries.

My main advantage was playing a lot of PvP. The first legendary armor which I crafted came after already having more of a dozen of legendary weapons amd the PvP back pack, but when I finished the heavy I had so many spare tokens that I crafted the medium and light in the following 8 months, and each set took me less than 1k gold coins in raw gold to complete. Later I became aware that the Grandmaster Marks could be obtained without being limited to the Seasons, so getting the 20 you need for each armor set could have been even faster.

• Like 1

On 8/16/2023 at 12:05 PM, Arklite.4013 said:

I have quite a few that I'm not sure if I should save or sell. The price spiked after yesterday's announcement but it could always go up more, and there's no telling what will happen once the xpac launches. I'm still kicking myself for not selling them before EOD dropped and absolutely tanked the price.

I'm dumb and not good at this, so some expert tell me what to do

They can only be used in the Mystic Forge to craft gear like weapons, armor and trinkets,