I think everyone can agree that Debi Derryberry is (STILL) the best VA in this game. [Spoilers]

Michram.6853

• Replies 72
  • Created
  • Last Reply

@Ayumi Spender.1082 said:

@Alga.6498 said:I can't stand her voice! I absolutely hate her VA, she's utter annoying with her kitten speeches, always and I mean
always
ruining every story episode because of her ''
OH HEY COMMANDER,
BBBRRRZZ
HA-HA I LOVE YOUR SARCASM, SCRUFFY AND I ARE THE BEST HIHIHI
BBBBRRRRR
-TAIMI OUT
''

No thank you.During the LS4 ending I was hoping and kept wishing Taimi would've been sufficated inside of her golem and died, SADLY she managed to survive. :angry: I was literally waiting to see if the oxygen would go down if you didn't do anything about it, lmaoUrrrgh, hate her voice so much, :rage:

I am not entirely sure you are blaming the right person. VA simply reads the script given to them. So if your problem is with the script/personality of the character, it is really not VAs fault. VA's job is to make the imaginary persona sound realistic. Displaying the emotions the character is supposed to have. Portraying feelings the character claims to have in their lines. A lot of characters who aren't liked actually have amazing VAs. And it is quite frankly an easier job (no slight intended) to voice an always snarky Canach vs voicing someone who goes from being an in-control genius to being a scared teenager in a near-death situation.

I can not agree if she is the best voice actor in the game since the reason why I did not switch to the English voice over is Patrick Bach, the German male Asura voice actor. Funny enough, Taimi's German voice actress is doing also an outstanding job. Since day 1 I was like "Wow, who is that?". Patrick was also a child actor over here and he kept his charismatic attitude until this day - perfect for the male Asura.

Excelsior.

I felt so annoyed by Taimi at the end of Daybreak Episode 1. She's one of my favorite characters but after the last fight I was really annoyed by her and didn't know why. But one day later, when I calmed down, I realised I was just emotionally exhausted. I was worrying so much about her! "He's coming!" and her pleas for help even though I couldn't help her at the moment and I could only listen to her distress...my god, my poor heart was breaking! After the last fight, when she was safe and sound I just thought "Dammit Taimi! Don't leave the house! Don't build dangerous robots, just STAY SAFE DAMMIT and let the adults handle the rest!!"

The voice acting was too much for me this time. It felt just too real. It hurt me to hear her like that. At that moment, the game didn't feel fun anymore, for a moment I felt real panic and I was worrying so much. They did a really great job!

Yes! The fear in Taimi's voice was palpable, it gave me goosebumps, and I honestly wasn't sure whether we would get to her in time or if we would ever get to see her again. I don't recall ever hearing Taimi sound so... meek before. She's usually a snarky little bugger, so the change was startling - but in such a good way - and really made you feel for the severity of the circumstance she was in. Outstanding VO work!

@Zania.8461 said:

@Alga.6498 said:I can't stand her voice! I absolutely hate her VA, she's utter annoying with her kitten speeches, always and I mean
always
ruining every story episode because of her ''
OH HEY COMMANDER,
BBBRRRZZ
HA-HA I LOVE YOUR SARCASM, SCRUFFY AND I ARE THE BEST HIHIHI
BBBBRRRRR
-TAIMI OUT
''

No thank you.During the LS4 ending I was hoping and kept wishing Taimi would've been sufficated inside of her golem and died, SADLY she managed to survive. :angry: I was literally waiting to see if the oxygen would go down if you didn't do anything about it, lmaoUrrrgh, hate her voice so much, :rage:

I am not entirely sure you are blaming the right person. VA simply reads the script given to them. So if your problem is with the script/personality of the character, it is really not VAs fault. VA's job is to make the imaginary persona sound realistic. Displaying the emotions the character is supposed to have. Portraying feelings the character claims to have in their lines. A lot of characters who aren't liked actually have amazing VAs. And it is quite frankly an easier job (no slight intended) to voice an always snarky Canach vs voicing someone who goes from being an in-control genius to being a scared teenager in a near-death situation.

It's going to not be the script and be either one of two choices.The director or the actor.

Someone has to direct the actor how they should sound, act, bring out a certain scene and such. It's also up to the actor to do it in the way they was asked to do it.Can't blame the script as yeah I hate how Taimi wants to poke everything, but the whole package of her seems to be designed in the way to (for me at least) annoy me.

The personality is one, her voice, her design. The only thing that doesn't bother me about Taimi is that she's Asura as I have no problem with Asuras.

@Lome.8239 said:

@Oglaf.1074 said:I don't know who does the voice, but I've always loved the male Norn VA.

In dialogue, the combat sounds are less than stellar (but I've grown numb to being annoyed by them, LOL).

Matt Mercer. Same guy who voices McCree in Overwatch.

He's fantastic.

Does MacCready in FO4.

An aside, last night's Critical Role had a guest appearance by Jennifer Hale. Though new to D&D, she did a fantastic Night Elf rogue during the hour I was able to watch before bed time (it's a D&D adaptation of Hearthstone and the 5 players were Alliance characters). Twitch chat was full of "that's fem Shep!" and other things she's done but no one mentioned GW2 :( I wanted to laud her for Jennah and Sylvari Female voices but I'm not subbed to the channel and thus could not post comments.

I could hear her sylvari commander's tones in how she spoke in character, though.

@Donari.5237 said:An aside, last night's Critical Role had a guest appearance by Jennifer Hale. Though new to D&D, she did a fantastic Night Elf rogue during the hour I was able to watch before bed time (it's a D&D adaptation of Hearthstone and the 5 players were Alliance characters). Twitch chat was full of "that's fem Shep!" and other things she's done but no one mentioned GW2 :( I wanted to laud her for Jennah and Sylvari Female voices but I'm not subbed to the channel and thus could not post comments.

I could hear her sylvari commander's tones in how she spoke in character, though.

Perhaps Arenanet could sponsor a GW2 oneshot on Critical Role in the future? ;) They certainly seems to be fans of the show considering the easter egg in Daybreak.

If so they'd better make a big post about it on these forums and in the news blog because I'd -love- to see any GW2 VA's doing the tabletop thing live. And I normally don't watch Critical Role due to the time it takes, it just happened to be linked to me when I was free last night. The Crit Role regular playing the Gnome Mage nailed it but Derryberry could likely do an amazing asura along the same lines.

This was just a great presentation choice IMO. Strong VO, and choosing the keep "Joko" offscreen made it a lot more menacing.

It lost a little when the encounter design wasn't set up in a way it was actually timed though. Debi's voice work was great but the minute you realize you're not really on a ticking clock suspension of disbelief kinda took a hit for me.

This happens quite a bit in video games, the fiction presents a task to you as time sensitive but the gameplay doesn't back it up, and that moment where you realize you're not actually on a clock kinda erodes the experience. Maybe in the future if you're going to fictionalize the encounter is a ticking clock, actually have one, and just make it generous enough that its not really a challenging one. Just HAVING a real timer adds a lot of stress and momentum to those kind of things, and the VAs get a chance to have a little fun since they get to record a death scene without actually having their characters killed off.

@PopeUrban.2578 said:This was just a great presentation choice IMO. Strong VO, and choosing the keep "Joko" offscreen made it a lot more menacing.

It lost a little when the encounter design wasn't set up in a way it was actually timed though. Debi's voice work was great but the minute you realize you're not really on a ticking clock suspension of disbelief kinda took a hit for me.

This happens quite a bit in video games, the fiction presents a task to you as time sensitive but the gameplay doesn't back it up, and that moment where you realize you're not actually on a clock kinda erodes the experience. Maybe in the future if you're going to fictionalize the encounter is a ticking clock, actually have one, and just make it generous enough that its not really a challenging one. Just HAVING a real timer adds a lot of stress and momentum to those kind of things, and the VAs get a chance to have a little fun since they get to record a death scene without actually having their characters killed off.

Wouldn't have changed a thing since you knew from the beginning of the ls that taimi wasn't really in danger and the chance She could have been killed were zero out of a hundred.

But I do agree that in some occasions a timer could be welcome.

@Shirlias.8104 said:

@PopeUrban.2578 said:This was just a great presentation choice IMO. Strong VO, and choosing the keep "Joko" offscreen made it a lot more menacing.

Wouldn't have changed a thing since you knew from the beginning of the ls that taimi wasn't really in danger and the chance She could have been killed were zero out of a hundred.

Yeah but we're talking video games here. Canonically the player has never failed an encounter they are intended to win, despite being ABLE to fail.

In this case, Taimi dies, and you get "failed" and restart the encounter.

@"Ayumi Spender.1082" said:I'm not a Canach fan but whoever does his voice is 100x better.I simply can't stand Taimi's voice/acting.

I still think Tybalt's voice is the best in the game.

Canach is the only character in the new bunch that I can stand. Part of that is his VA. Whenever I hear Taimi I just think "Jimmy Neutron" and it always takes me out of it. That and I don't hear the work put in (or realistic acting) that others say they hear from it.

Though this is coming from someone who can't watch a movie all the way through without questioning the stupid choices/actions characters make (and pointing out inconsistencies/plot holes/etc). I'm 1000% critical of what I take in lol

@PopeUrban.2578 said:

@Shirlias.8104 said:

Yeah but we're talking video games here. Canonically the player has never failed an encounter they are intended to win, despite being ABLE to fail.

In this case, Taimi dies, and you get "failed" and restart the encounter.

I am not talking about the possibility but the story itself. It was Clear that a Child couldn't have died nor tuned into an awakened.

Just to be sure, btw, i tried to fail the encounter.

@Miss Lana.5276 said:

@"Ayumi Spender.1082" said:I'm not a Canach fan but whoever does his voice is 100x better.I simply can't stand Taimi's voice/acting.

Canach is the only character in the new bunch that I can stand. Part of that is his VA. Whenever I hear Taimi I just think "Jimmy Neutron" and it always takes me out of it. That and I don't hear the work put in (or realistic acting) that others say they hear from it.

Though this is coming from someone who can't watch a movie all the way through without questioning the stupid choices/actions characters make (and pointing out inconsistencies/plot holes/etc). I'm 1000% critical of what I take in lol

Yeah, it doesn't sound genuine for the most part to me and just makes my ears itch.And oh god, now I'm going to hear Jimmy Neutron when I hear that voice now...

Also on the movie thing, I'm almost the same way. I would watch it all the way through WHILE wondering what's wrong with some/half/most of the people and at times get those "o.O" looks from people as in "Can't you just watch and enjoy?"Many times I can if it's not supposed to be taken seriously like a comedy or a cartoon or whichever. IF its meant to be a serious tone and I see stupidity or illogical actions I will be the first to go "Seriously? Who would do that?!"

@Ayumi Spender.1082 said:

@Ayumi Spender.1082 said:I'm not a Canach fan but whoever does his voice is 100x better.I simply can't stand Taimi's voice/acting.

Yeah, it doesn't sound genuine for the most part to me and just makes my ears itch.And oh god, now I'm going to hear Jimmy Neutron when I hear that voice now...

Also on the movie thing, I'm almost the same way. I would watch it all the way through WHILE wondering what's wrong with some/half/most of the people and at times get those "o.O" looks from people as in "Can't you just watch and enjoy?"Many times I can if it's not supposed to be taken seriously like a comedy or a cartoon or whichever. IF its meant to be a serious tone and I see stupidity or illogical actions I will be the first to go "Seriously? Who would do that?!"

I'll generally be watching a movie at my computer while my husband is on his laptop about 4 meters away on the lounge. When I notice something incredibly stupid he gets the brunt of my rant xD

Yeah most of the VA I've heard in this game could definitely be better. Half of it seems forced to me, most notably with Trahearne being the worst.

Archived