I think everyone can agree that Debi Derryberry is (STILL) the best VA in this game. [Spoilers]

Michram.6853

• Replies 72
  • Created
  • Last Reply

@Noa.7490 said:

@Eve Eschenbacher.4201 said:It's great to hear such positive reactions to the VO in Daybreak. That was an intense recording session, and Debi did a great job.We've been sharing the reactions with Debi. Thanks all! :)

It's not just Daybreak. Debi's VO work is simply just awesome all around. :)

But all we had heard from Taimi was just a voice of inteligent asura, but in this episode it was completely out of space! Taimi's voice was totally different! This crying voice, this scared voice. That was so real...

When I heard the voices of all the characters: Canach, my PC, Rytlock etc I just felt that somebody talks to me, but I didn't feel it, perhaps when Glint was talking to me I was very amused by this granny, sweet voice. :D But beside of Taimi, beside that she is sometimes annyoing, the voice of her voice-actress was just absolutely phenomenal! First time I really felt the character, 1st time I got scared, really scared by the voice of the voice-actor and that's really great accomplishment.

I've always been paying a lot of attention to the music, and the music of Guild Wars 2 was showing the situation that my character witnesses, but then I heard Taimi... that was just better of any epic music...

Wow...

I do agree. Taimi was, for most of the time in Living Seasons, quite safe from harm so she could jest and crack jokes every now and then, always lovingly voiced, but yes, at the end of Daybreak, when the oxygen was being purged, Taimi was on a completely different register. Debi managed so admirably to convey the emotions of Taimi who could see Death's door approaching fast. An amazing performance by an equally amazing voice artist.

She did a really great job. I knew that she wasn't going to die but the way she delivered those lines made me want to rush through so I could save her.She's very talented. It's a shame that there are a few people who hate Taimi's voice hate the VO too. There are plenty of singers who release songs that I hate, but I can still acknowledge that they can sing. I don't like Nolan North in this game, but I still think he's a talented VO. One does not negate the other.

Taimi unquestionably has the best actress, although Tyria as a whole has incredible voiceovers. Personally, my all time fave in the whole game, is whoever does Veteran Rikker's voice in the Silverwastes. I noticed another skritt in there has the same voice too. He just won me over with his "problem". I wish he showed up in more than just his little scratch!

This game has the most awesome VO team. It's one of the main things that makes it seem so alive and... different. In a good way.Taimi's VA is sooo great, it seems like she's really into it! Taimi can be annoying 95% of the time, but when you hear someone's hurting her, you panic and go berserk. Even tho she's extremely intelligent, she's still a child. That takes a really powerful voice acting.Also Nolans voice totally fits my main, I've become so attached to it over these years... It always seemed a bit dry tho, but starting from the last few episodes of LS3 he just keeps getting better & better, I can totally feel all the emotions & I love it. Give my thanks & a hug to this wonderful man <3

• 4 months later...

@Eve Eschenbacher.4201 said:It's great to hear such positive reactions to the VO in Daybreak. That was an intense recording session, and Debi did a great job.We've been sharing the reactions with Debi. Thanks all! :)

Its been a while since this discussion was made, but is there any chance to make some Behind the Scenes of the best Voice-Acting moments? I'd totally love to see Debi while she was recording Daybreak's lines for Taimi, and check if you didn't torture her in the studio. :D

You're doing a great job @Eve Eschenbacher.4201 ! Keep it up, because A Bug in the System voice-acting of the characters was also phenomenal!

edit: btw after seeing this, hearing "Blish" will never be the same (It may be a spoiler of the future lines, but only a small one- really funny and worth watching!). :D https://twitter.com/kate_dorierosie/status/990236866682081299?s=19

• 4 months later...

1:22:25

Wow!

After that I just admire Debbi Derryberry!! When I heard how she was preparing for those scary lines in Daybreak, how serious it was for her, I was just: "Holy s*it!!"

Taimi may not be liked by all of us, but hearing Debbi in the episodes make me love this character, because of how amazing the voiceacting is!

Well done Eve Eschenbacher! Just want to say you make a great team- You and the Voiceactors! Well done!

Also when I saw Eve's passion when she was talking about her job- its not even job for her anymore, its just her whole life! It's amazing.

You mean you can "stop playing"?

I understand you are fond of this VA, and I am too, but Anet has probably the best, one of the best VAs team, and I dont think losing the VA would cause 100% of the players to leave the game.

As for me GW2 would never be the same without Kari Wahlgren and basically Caithe.

So to each their own, you know. :)

@MithranArkanere.8957

• 4 weeks later...

I dont want to create another discussion, so I post here again.

Thank you ANet for this video.

this line [...] there's been a lot of painful things with in my life that hurt a lot both with my niece and my mom and just stuff so it does help me get there so sadness is part of life and it really helps in acting and it's not fun but that's the job broke my heart in pieces... GW2 without Taimi and Debbi will never be the same, please don't kill her off. :'( Just for the sake of this phenomenal Voiceactor!

@"VAHNeunzehnsechundsiebzig.3618" said:tbh, I can't point to any voice acting and say 'ugh, that was bad'.

I loved it, when my slyvari ele talked to queen Jennah, knowing that the same actress done both... she is basically talking to herself.

I can! It's only one line in all the great VA in this game, but I absolutely hate the delivery of "A small victory -- gods, there are so many of them" in the Claw Island stuff. She says it like the victory was a good thing, woohoo we got a small victory by sinking a ship, when she should sound dismayed that that was all we managed because oh gods we took out one thing and now a million are aiming at us, she's warning us -not- to rejoice. Probably the VA had zero context for the line when it was recorded.

Archived