Collection of new SoTO lore *spoilers obviously*

Sajuuk Khar.1509

Here's most of the things I've found, and seen other people mention, about new lore in SoTO

• We finally know what happened to the Scepter of Orr. It eventually found its way into the hands of bandits, and when Livia tried to get it back 100 or so years ago she met Isgarren. They retrieved it, and have kept it in the Wizard's Tower since.
  • We now know the origin of the Scepter of Orr, and the Staff of Mists. Both were created by the Seers to protect against extra-planer entities, but when that didn't work they eventually gave them to the human gods.
  • Isgarren approached Turai Ossa in the guise of the Djin Akeem, and took Turai to the Wizard's Tower to talk to a woman named Asphodel IV on how to defeat Joko. Turai was made a Wayfinder until his failed attempt as Ascension in the Crystal Desert.
  • Following the death of Primordus, Ogden has been helping the remaining Stone Dwarves in their attempts to reclaim artifacts from their old ruined fortresses.
  • Elementalist Aziure from GW1 was a Wayfinder, and the Isgarren used to be allies with "the Order" though those connections are long since gone.
  • The "Wizard Folly Tower" is the Beacon of Ages, a tower used in helping protect Tyria from Mists based threats, and may predate even the Elder Races. It was moved from Ascalon to its current location due to the Searing.
  • We got more information about the Seer-Mursaat War. With one of the Seer leaders first advocating war against the Elder Dragons, but pulling out at the last minute which lead to many Mursaat being killed and the grudge starting(as told back in LWS3 also)
  • Mabon seemingly has some connections to the Mesmer collective, and may be the mysterious Obryn.
  • The Mursaat are not native to Tyria, and are seemingly native to the realm the Krytpis come from. There is heavy suggestions more Mursaat may still be out in the Mists.
  • Isgarren didn't do anything about the Elder Dragons because he believed they were necessary in helping defend Tyria from the Demons.
  • The Wizards knew of Ankka's travels through the Mists, but chose not to do anything because they knew Soo-Won was dying, and couldn't spend the manpower/resources needed to hunt her down in the Mists and deal with whatever might happen once Soo-Won died.
  • The Mysterious Door in Straights of Devastation that leads to the old Bloodstone Caves was created by the Astral Ward to hide a corrupted Bloodstone Censer.
  • The eye Janthir attempted to find Mabon following Lazarus' death, but either Mabon's ascension, or the tower's shield, preventing it from doing so which is why it vanished.
  • The Wizards were watching the player during the Shadowstone storyline, and the big tower in Amnytas is powered by a massive Shadowstone.
  • Galrath, who attempted to break into the wizard's tower back in GW1, is alive, and Mabon did something akin to Awakening on him so he is still alive and serving the Wizards.

From @EdwinLi.1284

• To add to the list of things learned in SoO so far, the Oni are confirmed to be part of the Kryptis species of Demons. However, they are considered wanderers since they do not have loyality to Eparch.

From @Konig Des Todes.2086

• Implication that the karka and riftstalkers may be related, despite riftstalkers being non-Tyrian.
  • Bastion of the Penitent was originally built by the Wizard's Court before being captured by the mursaat and turned into a prison.
  • Confirmation that when someone ascends to godhood among the Six, they lose part of their former personality and views and are... influenced by their domains' agenda, for lack of better wording. It's compared to dragon corruption and Joko's forced Awakening.
  • Related, more statements that "Kormir died" when she ascended, but also confirmation it's not literal but opinions of Kormir's personality changing after ascending.
  • Confirmation that Verata was after the secrets within the Wizard's Tower back in GW1, and even got inside for a very brief time after the events of War in Kryta, though the fate of Verata's cultists were ultimately left unanswered (they survived being thrown into the sea beneath Wizard's Tower and their hours long swim back to shore).
  • Peitha confirmed that fractals within reach can be influenced by other worlds besides Tyria.
  • Finally got confirmation of what would have happened if Logan didn't save Jennah at the end of Edge of Destiny through the Astral Ward's what if fractals: with the deaths of the royal family (curiously, the game uses deaths - plural), Logan takes rulership of Kryta eventually, and slowly becomes quite the tyrant to the point of pushing Kryta back decades.

From @Invidia.9074

• Mabon visited Janthir between 1000-1100 AE to set up some sort of protective/warding enchantment, but the reasoning for this decision was not disclosed to anyone by the Wizard's Court
  • Kryptis attacks have been observed near Kirin Peak
  • Mabon hid his wings willingly - an ability we did not know from other Mursaat
  • Lazarus the Dire and Mabon knew about each other
  • Isles of Janthir are not a calm place, according to one note

Edited by Sajuuk Khar.1509
  • Like 5
  • Thanks 3

With the hint that the Mursaat race may still be alive and are a type of mist species, I am curious just how much different this group of mursaat that choose to stay in the Mist are. They obviously wanted to not be like the Mursaat that choose to remain in Tyria since they kept their distance. However, learning that the ancient races from the previous dragon cycle were more divided between fighting or avoiding the Elder Dragons than originally thought also opens up this group of surviving Mursaat in the Mist as possible faction that did not want to get involved with the Elder Dragons as well. 

Edited by EdwinLi.1284

7 minutes ago, EdwinLi.1284 said:

With the hint that the Mursaat race may still be alive and are a type of mist species, I am curious just how much different this group of mursaat that choose to stay in the Mist are. They obviously wanted to not be like the Mursaat that choose to remain in Tyria since they kept their distance. However, learning that the ancient races from the previous dragon cycle were more divided between fighting or avoiding the Elder Dragons than originally thought also opens up this group of surviving Mursaat in the Mist as possible faction that did not want to get involved with the Elder Dragons as well.

Not sure I quite agree with them being non-native to Tyria, just because a voice Mabon vaguely recalls calls Nayos "our home" after the mursaat-seer war (and thus, after the mursaat settled in the Mists).

But given the Realm of Dreams is what's called out, I'm sure we'll find out the truth in 3 months, if not, then by 9.

I almost forgot...

To add to the list of things learned in SoO so far, the Oni are confirmed to be part of the Kryptis species of Demons. However, they are considered wanderers since they do not have loyality to Eparch.

Makes me curious about what other types of Kryptis maybe wanderers.

Edited by EdwinLi.1284
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

44 minutes ago, EdwinLi.1284 said:

I almost forgot...

To add to the list of things learned in SoO so far, the Oni are confirmed to be part of the Kryptis species of Demons. However, they are considered wanderers since they do not have loyality to Eparch.

Rather than Oni on a whole are wanderers, it seems that the one we fought, named "Ravenous Wanderer" is at least. Though it's likely that the Oni in the past followed Kanaxai and Kanaxai followed Eparch (as shown in the Silent Surf Fractal, even if loosely), with his death they may have become wanderers - but before his death (assuming he didn't resurrect after GW1), they might have faithfully served him. It's interesting though, given that it's implied even in Silent Surf Fractal that the oni are transformed humans.

Some additional lore tidbits, mostly from the museum in the Bastion of Knowledge:

• Implication that the karka and riftstalkers may be related, despite riftstalkers being non-Tyrian.
  • Bastion of the Penitent was originally built by the Wizard's Court before being captured by the mursaat and turned into a prison.
  • Confirmation that when someone ascends to godhood among the Six, they lose part of their former personality and views and are... influenced by their domains' agenda, for lack of better wording. It's compared to dragon corruption and Joko's forced Awakening.
  • Related, more statements that "Kormir died" when she ascended, but also confirmation it's not literal but opinions of Kormir's personality changing after ascending.
  • Confirmation that Verata was after the secrets within the Wizard's Tower back in GW1, and even got inside for a very brief time after the events of War in Kryta, though the fate of Verata's cultists were ultimately left unanswered (they survived being thrown into the sea beneath Wizard's Tower and their hours long swim back to shore).
  • Peitha confirmed that fractals within reach can be influenced by other worlds besides Tyria.
  • Finally got confirmation of what would have happened if Logan didn't save Jennah at the end of Edge of Destiny through the Astral Ward's what if fractals: with the deaths of the royal family (curiously, the game uses deaths - plural), Logan takes rulership of Kryta eventually, and slowly becomes quite the tyrant to the point of pushing Kryta back decades.
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

37 minutes ago, Konig Des Todes.2086 said:

Bet people are glad now he made the choice to save Jennah now. From how things went in that alternate timeline when he chosen to stay to fight Kralkatorrik, things got thousands of times worse due to Jennah's death in Kryta to a point the Elder Dragons would eventually win.

On a different new lore topic, I do hope they explore on Galrath story since he is a original GW1 character who was a one time throw away villian for a single side quest but now he is a major character and high ranking leader of the Astral Ward defending the world from demon invasions.

Edited by EdwinLi.1284

11 hours ago, EdwinLi.1284 said:

On a different new lore topic, I do hope they explore on Galrath story since he is a original GW1 character who was a one time throw away villian for a single side quest but now he is a major character and high ranking leader of the Astral Ward defending the world from demon invasions.

You can talk to Galrath in Amnytas and he mentions what happened. Basically, Mabon came to him with an offer of join the Wizards or meet Grenth(die for real), and he made the decision to join them. The Commander also asks if he is Awakened, and Galrath says its something like that.

Edited by Sajuuk Khar.1509
  • Like 1

Is it 100% clear that Seers are from Tyria? Or are they just a really old race that arrived here from the mists?

Would love to find out why Djinn and Seers look so similar. Both apparently attune to the natural magic of Tyria and it feels like there’s a connection there somewhere. 

A few tidbits from me, some from NPC conversations, others from books, etc.

- Mabon visited Janthir between 1000-1100 AE to set up some sort of protective/warding enchantment, but the reasoning for this decision was not disclosed to anyone by the Wizard's Court
- Kryptis attacks have been observed near Kirin Peak
- Mabon hid his wings willingly - an ability we did not know from other Mursaat
- Lazarus the Dire and Mabon knew about each other
- Isles of Janthir are not a calm place, according to one note

• Thanks 2

47 minutes ago, Bast.7253 said:

Is it 100% clear that Seers are from Tyria? Or are they just a really old race that arrived here from the mists?

Would love to find out why Djinn and Seers look so similar. Both apparently attune to the natural magic of Tyria and it feels like there’s a connection there somewhere. 

As far as I can recall there's no mention of what the seer's origins are, so its assumed they are native to Tyria until otherwise stated.

I found the Kanaxai thing interesting. And how the Kryptis are organized in "Houses". With the important people seeming to have titles like "[weapon name| of house [house name]". When I saw that info when selecting Cerus in the last story mission I immediately had to think of Kanaxai from the Silent Sur fractal - and his introduction.

With the houses stuff it also made me remember Largos. And Dune (the western novels - though I only remember the movies). That emotional stuff maybe feels even like a drug ot the Kryptis similar like Spice.

For Mabon I liked that one journal entry regarding Mabon Market (in Caledon forest) - where they seemed to have watchd the early development of the Sylvari. I still wonder about the Seers and stuff ... and the "from Tyria" vs. not from Tyria. Are there actually other planets?  Mists stuff is probably just some other "plane" but connected to Tyria. Would be interesting if some species were from other planets - using the mists to travel/conncedt to elsewhere.

That mention of the collective - also noticed that. Did not have all info present. (Indeed the wiki had the info on that Obryn guy.) Isgarren also was mentioned to have changed his appearence to Djinn I think.

-----

Would be nice to get some more info on the mesmer collective. On "E". I do not think we'll get anything on Doern Velasquez in the future. (They probably forgot about him.)

Waiting Sorrow could also be interesting - to get further info on her. The Astral Ward seems to have a lot of people that are powerful and/or did not fit anywhere else anymore. (I really would have liked to see Bangar again and I think he'd fit into there as well.)

Looking for more tidbits about the state of the rest of Tyria unrelated to the Horn of Maguuma: enemies, cities, any such magical anomalies and the consequences of the world being in its highest magical state in history.

So far, all I've gathered was "very peaceful until rifts started appearing."

Edited by Dreamreaver.4908

3 hours ago, Dreamreaver.4908 said:

Looking for more tidbits about the state of the rest of Tyria unrelated to the Horn of Maguuma: enemies, cities, any such magical anomalies and the consequences of the world being in its highest magical state in history.

very much sums up how things been going off screen from what we have been told so far.

Keep in mind it has been already 1 years since the end of EoD (1335 AE) by the time of SoO (1336 AE) (Aurene went to sleep during early days of 1336 AE). So far there was no crisis until SoO. Everyone else manage to return to normal life after the Elder Dragon War finding their own thing or dealing with Post-War issues either personal ones or society issue.

Braham, for example, was last seen dealing with PTSD that started appearing sometime after Ice Brood Saga off screen but he may have mostly recovered now since he got help during that 1 year. Though he can never really enjoy things like Dragon Bash again due to his trauma and what he seen during the war.

On the othe hand, Kasmeer is now officially politician for kyrta dealing with PR to other countries, Marjory and Gorrik made their own detective agency, Taimi is working in Cantha now helping to improve Jade tech and getting it into core Tyria regions to be more commonly used, Rytlock is dealing with Charr politics, Rox retired already to be the Olmakhan's representative, and Caithe been working to finding new purpose for the Crystal Bloom now that Aurene is in deep sleep.

Only person who appears to not have settled back to their old life as a "Civilian" post war is the Commander. The a Commander with Charr origin may have thing harder since his/her warband he/she left behind mostly died during the Charr Civil war leaving only the Charr Commander's partner left.

Edited by EdwinLi.1284

9 hours ago, Dreamreaver.4908 said:

There is some lines about the Sylvari, but I forget exactly what was said. I think it was in Mabon's journals as he was watching them.

6 hours ago, EdwinLi.1284 said:

very much sums up how things been going off screen from what we have been told so far.

Keep in mind it has been already 1 years since the end of EoD (1335 AE) by the time of SoO (1336 AE) (Aurene went to sleep during early days of 1336 AE). So far there was no crisis until SoO. Everyone else manage to return to normal life after the Elder Dragon War finding their own thing or dealing with Post-War issues either personal ones or society issue.

Braham, for example, was last seen dealing with PTSD that started appearing sometime after Ice Brood Saga off screen but he may have mostly recovered now since he got help during that 1 year. Though he can never really enjoy things like Dragon Bash again due to his trauma and what he seen during the war.

On the othe hand, Kasmeer is now officially politician for kyrta dealing with PR to other countries, Marjory and Gorrik made their own detective agency, Taimi is working in Cantha now helping to improve Jade tech and getting it into core Tyria regions to be more commonly used, Rytlock is dealing with Charr politics, Rox retired already to be the Olmakhan's representative, and Caithe been working to finding new purpose for the Crystal Bloom now that Aurene is in deep sleep.

Only person who appears to not have settled back to their old life as a "Civilian" post war is the Commander. The a Commander with Charr origin may have thing harder since his/her warband he/she left behind mostly died during the Charr Civil war leaving only the Charr Commander's partner left.

Honestly, it sounds more like Marjory has her own agency, and Gorrik and Rama are heading up another, separate one with Ivan acting as a general transport with his Airship and crew for Brim and Scarab, or both agencies.

The commander never really had a civilian life/job to go home to, as their first real venture outside ended up with them getting funneled into the orders and then wars and disasters. I personally loved how SOTO handled that, with the Commander kinda going home in the Capital to be aimless and bored, leaping onto Ivan's request to go look at Garenhoff. The Journal entries are an interesting read, as they explore some of the stuff the Commander thinks about. 

• Like 1

On 8/30/2023 at 4:39 AM, EdwinLi.1284 said:

I almost forgot...

I don't think it has been confirmed. As far as I remember Mabon says "It could have been a wanderer."

12 hours ago, Kalavier.1097 said:

There is some lines about the Sylvari, but I forget exactly what was said. I think it was in Mabon's journals as he was watching them.

Honestly, it sounds more like Marjory has her own agency, and Gorrik and Rama are heading up another, separate one with Ivan acting as a general transport with his Airship and crew for Brim and Scarab, or both agencies.

The commander never really had a civilian life/job to go home to, as their first real venture outside ended up with them getting funneled into the orders and then wars and disasters. I personally loved how SOTO handled that, with the Commander kinda going home in the Capital to be aimless and bored, leaping onto Ivan's request to go look at Garenhoff. The Journal entries are an interesting read, as they explore some of the stuff the Commander thinks about. 

Though I was looking for more in-game examples, someone pointed me to this: https://www.guildwars2.com/en/news/after-the-dragon-cycle/

It still didn't give too much. Peculiarly, the sylvari recovering from Heart of Thorns...which would've been eight years ago...I don't know about that. Also wasn't interested in what Braham, Kasmeer, Taimi, etc. were doing, but the overall world as far as what's still threatening what, schemes going on, how Hoelbrak, Black Citidel, Sandswept Isles look now (if I recall, the Dragonvoid burst out of the ground in those regions), if they ever built that one fort finally in Caledon Forest, if Divinity's Reach's carnival ever opened or Mona's Shooting Gallery ever stopped being booked. (Okay, I'm kidding about those last two).

Are the Inquest defunct, and if they are, would they still be represented in Rata Sum? Nightmare Court attacks on the Grove have lessened, but do we know why? What's the point of the Pact anymore? Even pushing the Dragonvoid corruption stuff aside, the Dragons were there to prevent Tyria from having excess magic, and now that they're all dead (and Aurene specifically does not hold magic) and the magic they held in them has gone back into the leylines and into the world...nothing happens? Or was it just that the Priory and Asura and anyone else had been wrong about their research the entire time? (And even Soo-Won apparently).

But I also understand Soto is going to focus more on Soto things, so I can see them not covering much from Commander's perspective. 

6 hours ago, Dreamreaver.4908 said:

Though I was looking for more in-game examples, someone pointed me to this: https://www.guildwars2.com/en/news/after-the-dragon-cycle/

It still didn't give too much. Peculiarly, the sylvari recovering from Heart of Thorns...which would've been eight years ago...I don't know about that. Also wasn't interested in what Braham, Kasmeer, Taimi, etc. were doing, but the overall world as far as what's still threatening what, schemes going on, how Hoelbrak, Black Citidel, Sandswept Isles look now (if I recall, the Dragonvoid burst out of the ground in those regions), if they ever built that one fort finally in Caledon Forest, if Divinity's Reach's carnival ever opened or Mona's Shooting Gallery ever stopped being booked. (Okay, I'm kidding about those last two).

Are the Inquest defunct, and if they are, would they still be represented in Rata Sum? Nightmare Court attacks on the Grove have lessened, but do we know why? What's the point of the Pact anymore? Even pushing the Dragonvoid corruption stuff aside, the Dragons were there to prevent Tyria from having excess magic, and now that they're all dead (and Aurene specifically does not hold magic) and the magic they held in them has gone back into the leylines and into the world...nothing happens? Or was it just that the Priory and Asura and anyone else had been wrong about their research the entire time? (And even Soo-Won apparently).

But I also understand Soto is going to focus more on Soto things, so I can see them not covering much from Commander's perspective. 

I believe that Nightmare Court attacks have lessened since Chrysanthea became the Grand Duchess - in Season 1 content, inside the Tower of Nightmares we can fin a note mentioning that she has much more liberal views than the rest of the court, so probably her being the leader has something to do with it

Are the oni really that confirmed? I think the "could have been a wanderer" totally makese sense that it acually was the case. (With all the hints - the main boss from the Gyala Delve meta being focused on emotions.) Also Kanaxai with the houses thing.

But the oni ... I though they were maybe sometehing natural to Tyria ... maybe sometimes "possessed" by the meta boss in Gyala Delve. (It is not stated that 1 Kryptis can only "possess" 1 other being at a time. Would make sense if they could control a lot at once.) They do not look big/evil enough like some Kryptis. And probably researchers would have noticed more about them then and wondered and found out something about them.

2 hours ago, Invidia.9074 said:

I believe that Nightmare Court attacks have lessened since Chrysanthea became the Grand Duchess - in Season 1 content, inside the Tower of Nightmares we can fin a note mentioning that she has much more liberal views than the rest of the court, so probably her being the leader has something to do with it

I've yet to see anything claiming that she became the "Grand" Duchess, but she did have the title Duchess when we see her in Dragon's Stand.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Dreamreaver.4908 said:

I've yet to see anything claiming that she became the "Grand" Duchess, but she did have the title Duchess when we see her in Dragon's Stand.

Well, even if she is not the official current leader of the Nightmare Court, I can believe she swayed a lot of less violent Courtiers to her side and any weakening of the Court may have had the impact of lessening the attacks. 

5 hours ago, Invidia.9074 said:

Liberal in the sense her views are "We should keep control of our activities to not become enemies with every major power on Tyria and be burnt out.

3 hours ago, Luthan.5236 said:

Are the oni really that confirmed? I think the "could have been a wanderer" totally makese sense that it acually was the case. (With all the hints - the main boss from the Gyala Delve meta being focused on emotions.) Also Kanaxai with the houses thing.

But the oni ... I though they were maybe sometehing natural to Tyria ... maybe sometimes "possessed" by the meta boss in Gyala Delve. (It is not stated that 1 Kryptis can only "possess" 1 other being at a time. Would make sense if they could control a lot at once.) They do not look big/evil enough like some Kryptis. And probably researchers would have noticed more about them then and wondered and found out something about them.

Even in GW1 they were suspected of being transformed humans. 

3 hours ago, Dreamreaver.4908 said:

In Season 1, when Faolain is weakened, it's commented that the "liberal" group was gaining power as the Toxic alliance sapped a lot of strength from the nightmare court, as well as having their leadership and a lot of stronger members killed off in twilight Arbor.  https://wiki.guildwars2.com/wiki/Nightmare_Court_Letter Quite literally, it points out that Chrysanthea is very likely to seize power from Faolain as of season 1's events due to Faolain losing her champions and most promising acolytes in the events of the dungeon.  Since Faolain dies during Heart of thorns, it's basically guarenteeded that Chrysanthea has taken the title of Grand Duchess.

27 minutes ago, Invidia.9074 said:

Well, even if she is not the official current leader of the Nightmare Court, I can believe she swayed a lot of less violent Courtiers to her side and any weakening of the Court may have had the impact of lessening the attacks. 

Considering how Faolain's inner circle was entirely wiped out, the Toxic alliance took a lot of members away from her, and then faolain dies in heart of thorns it's incredibly unlikely that anybody else has seized the title. Especially since SOTO literally confirms the nightmare court has been heading fewer attacks. https://wiki.guildwars2.com/wiki/Aged_Journal

@Kalavier.1097

I've seen that note, yes. Within it, Chrysanthea is already mentioned to be a Duchess, complete with her own faction, and when you see her in Dragon's Stand, even as Faolain is dead, she's still just a Duchess. (On a side note, getting to that rank to begin with involves Faolain's say and thus would make her a part of the inner circle, but that's neither here nor there). Granted, Chrysanthea's lane was scrapped, and you see no other courtiers out there, so a lot of speculation could be had...

We don't know if the attacks have lessened because she took over or if they've just run out of members. Or if Mordremoth's experience has them all shaken. Nothing's set in stone. "Very likely to seize power" and "seized power" are two different things.

Also wouldn't know if she swayed anyone or if they just respect rank as per their ways. For all we know there could be others of rank somewhere about!

But, yes. I was looking for more solid evidence of things and not maybe-maybe nots. The writing very often provides the former.