Tone down inaccesible areas please, you are ONLY frustrating the player

I am starting to strongly dislike Amnitas.

There are too many things blocked off. Map completion depending on events that either are bugged or rarely spawn.

Areas where you try to get a POI but are teleported away due to ONLY access during an event... That after 3 hours waiting has NOT spawned a SINGLE time.

I am so sick and tired of these mechanics. It makes me want to quit the game.

It also frustrated that we have given feedback about these mechanics many times before and the only thing you have done is raise the bar on them. Making it HARDER to get things done. Why?

Right now, it is so frustrating, that the only thing I want is get that POI. If this event EVER starts, I go in, get POI and RUN AWAY from this AWEFULL mechanics as hard as I can and don't care any longer about the event!.

3 hours!!! and counting!!! for 1 POI!!!!

Seriously????

• Like 38
  • Thanks 2
  • Haha 1
  • Confused 9
  • Sad 3

21 minutes ago, Farohna.6247 said:

What POI are you having difficulty with?  I had the map completed quite easily.

If I remember correctly, there are only two POI that could be blocked outside an event "Great Debate Hall" in Bastion of Balance (lyhr event chain) and "Cellar of Arcana" in Bastion of  Knowledge. But the doors to the area are also (for a time) open outside of events. Maybe this was different at first.

Maybe they are not accessible for a longer time on a bugged or inactive map, but waiting for three hours for these seems quite long.

Edited by Zok.4956
  • Like 2
  • Confused 1

10 minutes ago, Tuna Bandit.3786 said:

Cellar of Arcana. If first starts with a "navigate the maze" event that has now, after 3 and a half hours, finally started. 

So I got the POI and left. The desire to do the event chain is not there anymore

That does seem excessively long of a wait, and I can understand that frustration.  I don't recall having to wait, so maybe I got the poi during the event.  I agree with Zok.4956 that maybe it was bugged, in which case it needs to be fixed.  

I'm sorry for your irritation and aggravation, that was definitely not the norm and shouldn't have been.  

• Like 3
  • Confused 2

14 minutes ago, Sobx.1758 said:

And I am glad they're not making map completion into some racetrack, but instead require some map/event involvement to progress. Don't overdo it and I'm ok with it -and at this moment I don't think they're overdoing it at all.

I get the sentiment here, but some players simply enjoy map completion and aren't necessarily interested in doing any or all of the events on the map just to do so.

• Like 14
  • Thanks 2
  • Confused 3

I'm not a big fan of locking POI behind events either. This is an example of learning anold lesson, not passing it nto new teams and having to relearn that feedback once more.

I get it enourages interaction with events and there's no reason to rush it, but if an event is on a long timer or is bugged or is behind a group event which becomes trickier to beat in the future, problems arise. 

• Like 15
  • Thanks 1
  • Confused 3

Personally I like to have map completion then go back to do the events.  Mostly this is so I can see where to go when someone calls them out and it's not just an apple in the middle of a blank map.  So I can see wanting to get it completed and be done with it.  And that's a really long wait for an event, yuck.  I don't mind them being behind an event occasionally but not for one that is taking that long to pop.  

• Like 4
  • Confused 3
  • Sad 1

all Amnitas events spam in very short times, what could be happening is you camping at wrong location, so missing event starting. Also theres events not scaling well, and being finished too fast before u see them.

But,, since is a new map, the LFG is pretty active, just join any random squad and switch the map, i did this for the last event i had trouble to find it.(a champion event in the spire, near same location as dagda starting event chain). after 3 or 4 switches, i jumped in a map with the event active.

Edited by ugrakarma.9416
  • Like 3
  • Confused 3
  • Sad 1

Re: long waits, I've noticed some NPCs can be prompted to start an event before the icon shows up over their head. For example, the NPC at Droknar's Light who starts the search for the Stone Summit dwarves (is it Arla?) will have a dialogue option asking about earth rumbling, which will get her curious enough to go looking and trigger the event chain.

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

While I eventually had the event spawn, I was able to get the cellar POI by just running in with raptor leaps.  You don't even have to get all that far in before you get the POI  (though I eventually made it all the way into the cellar, as I wasn't aware there was an event and I wanted to see what was in there).

However, I agree.  Either the event should spawn very frequently, there should be another way in, or another way to get the POI  (such as running in before getting kicked out).

• Like 4
  • Confused 1
  • Sad 1

5 hours ago, kharmin.7683 said:

I get the sentiment here, but some players simply enjoy map completion and aren't necessarily interested in doing any or all of the events on the map just to do so.

You don't need to do all of the events on the map to do so and players "interested in just map completion" complaining about particiaption in single events are probably actually "interested" in rewards instead of map completion itself.

Edited by Sobx.1758
  • Like 3
  • Thanks 1
  • Haha 2
  • Confused 7

That's a pretty gross generalization.  I solo and am very casual.  Map completion is one of my fun things to do.  I'd rather not have to complete events to do so.  Rewards aren't the objective for me.

And I did say "any or all of the events", so I do understand that one doesn't need to do all of them.

• Like 8
  • Thanks 2
  • Confused 4

27 minutes ago, kharmin.7683 said:

That's a pretty gross generalization.  I solo and am very casual.  Map completion is one of my fun things to do.  I'd rather not have to complete events to do so.  Rewards aren't the objective for me.

And I did say "any or all of the events", so I do understand that one doesn't need to do all of them.

So is that goal of map completion for you just generally really "ticking every square of the map" or, you know, taking time and actually explore? Because I understand the latter, but I don't really understand the former. If rewards aren't the goal here then I don't see how doing an event for a poi is a huge issue. What's the rush?

Edited by Sobx.1758
  • Like 3
  • Confused 6

I honestly don't see why the OP is so upset.. I've mapped all SoTO's maps in 9 characters already and as far as I know, there are only 2 pois locked behind events. They don't take too long to happen also.. specially the one that requires a book to travel through a sort of maze, this one happens even more often than the other event that locks a POI on the northwest bastion.

• Like 3
  • Confused 1
  • Sad 1

33 minutes ago, Sobx.1758 said:

So is that goal of map completion for you just generally really "ticking every square of the map" or, you know, taking time and actually explore? Because I understand the latter, but I don't really understand the former. If rewards aren't the goal here then I don't see how doing an event for a poi is a huge issue. What's the rush?

I can't speak for others.  For me, it's not rushing.  Yes, I enjoy exploring maps, especially these new ones with the skyscale to see what places I can reach.  🙂 

Edited by kharmin.7683
Clarity
  • Like 4
  • Confused 3

45 minutes ago, kharmin.7683 said:

I can't speak for others.  For me, it's not rushing.  Yes, I enjoy exploring maps, especially these new ones with the skyscale to see what places I can reach.  🙂 

Exactly, so getting back to a poi at later time usually shouldn't be an issue from my perspective. How is see this, majority of the time either someone just likes exploring or is preoccupied with rushing the map checklist for the reward. Rather hard to enjoy exploration while rushing it from poi to poi with nothing inbetween.

• Like 3
  • Confused 7

The Arcane Cellar was my last poi to do my first map completion of Amnytas.  The wiki said I could get it with skyscale shenanigans at the north entrance but didn't say exactly how to combo the skills.  I got tossed back on my keister every time I barrel rolled and launched, without the poi triggering.  When I went back a few minutes later the entry was open and I just ran on in.

This is not a big deal for a first run through.  It's fun discovering everything, learning what's easy and hard, feeling accomplished for figuring things out.  But.  Multiple map completions will be needed to make the legendary armor and even though lantern lighting will help, by the 18th run through blocked pois will become quite annoying.  (Unless it turns out you only need to unlock the completions once for the checklist collection instead of once per armor piece, which seems ... unlikely).

I wonder if that poi can be triggered by flying under the island?  I didn't think to try that, and that poi is way down deep in a cellar so it could be near the underside.

• Like 2

• 5 months later...

It;s annoying indeed. For the new armor you need to complete it 18 times, or do the lanterns. Guess where 2 lanterns are located? Yeah behind the event.
I am not against doing it 18 times, but if you offer to do lanterns instead of map completion, please Anet put them somewhere it's not locked behind an event.

• Thanks 3
  • Confused 2
  • Sad 1

I understand this frustration very easily and agree that locking map accesses behind event chains is obnoxious as sin. While it doesn't affect me (Not a map completionist unless there's an alterior motive), I can completely empathise with the aggravation that it is to people of that playstyle.

On 9/2/2023 at 5:59 AM, kharmin.7683 said:

Shock and horror - this is a is a third time I'm actually agreeing with you, Kharmin, without any qualifications. Yes, I've kept count over the years.

+1.

• Haha 2

On 9/1/2023 at 5:55 AM, Tuna Bandit.3786 said:

I am starting to strongly dislike Amnitas.

There are too many things blocked off. Map completion depending on events that either are bugged or rarely spawn.

Areas where you try to get a POI but are teleported away due to ONLY access during an event... That after 3 hours waiting has NOT spawned a SINGLE time.

I am so sick and tired of these mechanics. It makes me want to quit the game.

It also frustrated that we have given feedback about these mechanics many times before and the only thing you have done is raise the bar on them. Making it HARDER to get things done. Why?

Right now, it is so frustrating, that the only thing I want is get that POI. If this event EVER starts, I go in, get POI and RUN AWAY from this AWEFULL mechanics as hard as I can and don't care any longer about the event!.

3 hours!!! and counting!!! for 1 POI!!!!

Seriously????

Nah. I know this can be frustrating, but in the grand scheme of frustrations I think it is a fairly innocuous fault of MMO games. Usually in the case of GW2 these more occluded POIs are part and parcel of well-developed, living map design.

Removing it would just make the game all the more thoughtless and unengaging.

• Like 1
  • Confused 2

3 minutes ago, Batalix.2873 said:

Nah. I know this can be frustrating, but in the grand scheme of frustrations I think it is a fairly innocuous fault of MMO games. Usually in the case of GW2 these more occluded POIs are part and parcel of well-developed, living map design.

Removing it would just make the game all the more thoughtless and unengaging.

I disagree. If you want people more engaged in new content, locking things behind meta's is not improving this but is making sure people will skip the content when they are done.
It's scaring away the players from certain content.

For the lanterns i would suggest moving it to the entrance of the closed content, instead of locking it behind it.
Because some people will do the Lyhr meta, but most of it will skip it because maybe the rewards are not worth it (i'm not sure, can't remember the loot for this meta) because most people skip it😅

• Like 1
  • Confused 5

4 minutes ago, Alexander.9342 said:

I disagree. If you want people more engaged in new content, locking things behind meta's is not improving this but is making sure people will skip the content when they are done.
It's scaring away the players from certain content.

For the lanterns i would suggest moving it to the entrance of the closed content, instead of locking it behind it.
Because some people will do the Lyhr meta, but most of it will skip it because maybe the rewards are not worth it (i'm not sure, can't remember the loot for this meta) because most people skip it😅

Accessibility is the bane of engagement, though. It may be profitable, but it also dilutes, decentivizes, and ultimately destroys whatever complexity makes a game interesting in the first place.

I don't really care if people need to actually engage with the content to access certain parts of the game. I would rather the game be interesting than devolve into a cookie clicker, despite the trajectory it has already been on for the past couple years.

What this thread amounts to is yet another flavor of players not having the skill, time, and/or interest to actually engage with the content. It is just another euphemism we have been seeing from players indicating they don't want to put in any effort to actually engage with the game's complexities. If this were the case of the game massively wasting players' time, I would sympathize more, but structurally a LOT of things in GW2 are time-dependent, and none of them amount to huge abuses of players' time. At worst, players are encouraged to go kill time in any of the game's many other areas for an hour or two, and if they cannot find other ways to entertain themselves with the many other metas and events that go on in the world, then I am not sure why they are playing this game.

Edited by Batalix.2873
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1
  • Confused 4