Tone down inaccesible areas please, you are ONLY frustrating the player

Some of this is obviously also a current timing issue -- meaning, THIS particular week, of all weeks, it's not going to be so great to try for completion on any map but Inner Nayos since a "uuuge" amount of people are way too busy there right now.  

Heck... even IN Nayos, it's lopsided to West side anyway at the moment (the new map) and the East side eems comparatively dead.  I have, for example, been trying to do Heitor meta in the evening after work this week since it's the last thing I need to unlock my helms, but I haven't seen a single group doing it or even in lfg when I was on. I am happy to tag up myself when this happens, but it's also pretty easy to wait until things shake out a bit and focus on the other side where there are more peeps.

I think by the weekend there will be more people spreading out on more of the maps again; communicating in map/zone chat to call out what you need can also go a million miles to help, if you are being friendly.  😊

• Like 1

15 minutes ago, Surelia.2651 said:

Some of this is obviously also a current timing issue -- meaning, THIS particular week, of all weeks, it's not going to be so great to try for completion on any map but Inner Nayos since a "uuuge" amount of people are way too busy there right now.  

Heck... even IN Nayos, it's lopsided to West side anyway at the moment (the new map) and the East side eems comparatively dead.  I have, for example, been trying to do Heitor meta in the evening after work this week since it's the last thing I need to unlock my helms, but I haven't seen a single group doing it or even in lfg when I was on. I am happy to tag up myself when this happens, but it's also pretty easy to wait until things shake out a bit and focus on the other side where there are more peeps.

I think by the weekend there will be more people spreading out on more of the maps again; communicating in map/zone chat to call out what you need can also go a million miles to help, if you are being friendly.  😊

Well when you put it in this perspective and I think about it more clearly. You are right.
Anet please forgot my previous remark and make us more content to enjoy 😉

• Sad 1

On 9/1/2023 at 3:20 PM, Zok.4956 said:

If I remember correctly, there are only two POI that could be blocked outside an event "Great Debate Hall" in Bastion of Balance (lyhr event chain) and "Cellar of Arcana" in Bastion of  Knowledge. But the doors to the area are also (for a time) open outside of events. Maybe this was different at first.

Maybe they are not accessible for a longer time on a bugged or inactive map, but waiting for three hours for these seems quite long.

Problem with the Cellar opening event is that it spawns only once per map cycle, and can be finished in seconds by someone else. Basically, you make a bathroom break and you miss it.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1
  • Confused 5

On 3/1/2024 at 12:50 AM, Astralporing.1957 said:

Problem with the Cellar opening event is that it spawns only once per map cycle, and can be finished in seconds by someone else. Basically, you make a bathroom break and you miss it.

After doing all the lanterns in Amnytas, exactly this.
Most of the times the event was finished, so had to do some jackal glitch to get the lantern, took multiple times to get it right. Which got me frustated because sometimes when i entered the portal it transported me out with in miliseconds. 
On every reset the lyhr event, which somehow a lot of people don't do anymore or hard to get people for it and when people do join, they take the lantern and just leave.
I always feel guilty of doing that, so did the event multiple times from start to finish, unless the map meta started and you got glitched out of the lyhr event.

• Like 3
  • Confused 1

On 9/1/2023 at 3:30 PM, Farohna.6247 said:

That does seem excessively long of a wait, and I can understand that frustration.  I don't recall having to wait, so maybe I got the poi during the event.  I agree with Zok.4956 that maybe it was bugged, in which case it needs to be fixed.  

I'm sorry for your irritation and aggravation, that was definitely not the norm and shouldn't have been.  

Yeah, that one is the annoying one. The wiki has some possible options to cheese it if the event is not on https://wiki.guildwars2.com/wiki/Erudition_Arcade

• Like 2
  • Sad 1

The events with the wards/then on to Cellar of Arcana are not once per map cycle. The nearby events (right by the waypoint) for the gate defence/capture/fix stuff preceed the events to enter the Arcade and Cellar. If you want the event to access those to spawn, do the events at the gate and check in with Uenno between each one until you get the ward event. If you just sit near Uenno and the gate events don't get done, the wards event won't start.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 2

I can confirm I witnessed Cellar of Arcana even mini-chain happening 3 times within same instance like (I was in fact trying to hunt down the wards event for mastery point, and kept missing it (without leaving map)

• Like 2

14 hours ago, Alaia Skyhawk.5064 said:

The events with the wards/then on to Cellar of Arcana are not once per map cycle. The nearby events (right by the waypoint) for the gate defence/capture/fix stuff preceed the events to enter the Arcade and Cellar. If you want the event to access those to spawn, do the events at the gate and check in with Uenno between each one until you get the ward event. If you just sit near Uenno and the gate events don't get done, the wards event won't start.

There are no preevents for Navigate Isgarren Wards. When i tried to get that poi on multiple characters, i have checked every single event on Bastion of Knowledge (multiple times), and none seem to be connected in any way to that one. And i have never seen that event go up more than once per map cycle.

Edited by Astralporing.1957
  • Confused 5

12 minutes ago, Astralporing.1957 said:

There are no preevents for Navigate Isgarren Wards. When i tried to get that poi on multiple characters, i have checked every single event on Bastion of Knowledge (multiple times), and none seem to be connected in any way to that one. And i have never seen that event go up more than once per map cycle.

It starts next to the gates, but only of gate event is not going on right now. It doesn't need to succeed just not be there - the one I finally caught today started shortly after gate recapture event failed. And I saw the follow up even twice before within same map cycle.

• Like 2
  • Confused 1

• 2 months later...
Posted (edited)

Necro-ing this thread to give a THANK YOU to ArenaNet for fixing this issue and putting this irritating lantern outside the cellar in the latest patch.  And another thank you for moving the Great Debate Hall's POI so future players won't need to go through the annoyance of requiring an event for a POI. 

Needlessly frustrating players/customers is seldom a good idea even if there were people able to get this done or figure out cheese ways to get around it.  These were clear examples of poor design choices, but fortunately, ArenaNet is able to recognize their mistakes and fix them.  Sometimes it might take a while, but they get around to it 😁Heck, these were fixed before the next expansion, so two thumbs up!   

Edited by DoctorOverlord.8620
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1
  • Confused 1

Posted (edited)
23 hours ago, DoctorOverlord.8620 said:

Necro-ing this thread to give a THANK YOU to ArenaNet for fixing this issue and putting this irritating lantern outside the cellar in the latest patch.  And another thank you for moving the Great Debate Hall's POI so future players won't need to go through the annoyance of requiring an event for a POI. 

Needlessly frustrating players/customers is seldom a good idea even if there were people able to get this done or figure out cheese ways to get around it.  These were clear examples of poor design choices, but fortunately, ArenaNet is able to recognize their mistakes and fix them.  Sometimes it might take a while, but they get around to it 😁Heck, these were fixed before the next expansion, so two thumbs up!   

I don't want to burst your bubble and I really appreciate them going back and fixing stuff like this... But to me it seems they do not learn from it at all/just did something similar in the new story chapter (unless I miss something obvious -> any hints if I missed something would be much appreciated!). On the last map section in the last SotO map, 3 POIs are locked behind the meta (or more like 3 metas, since you have to do them in succession) and another 2 POIs are locked behind the story.

This does not prevent you from working on legendaries or anything, as all the lanterns are accessible. But if you want to do map completion on all your chars (don't ask, I'm weird) apparently you are expected to do the SotO story starting from chapter 17 (including the "fill the bar" part) on all your characters...?

This is a first, as I had no issue to this point getting map comp on all my characters without hopping into a story chapter - I really hope they will go back and add some way to enter the location where the last meta and the story takes place (maybe some kind of portal item, which you get once you finished the story on one character...?).

Things like this really rub me the wrong way - I'm not a fan of the recent story but understand why it is what it is... But as someone who enjoys doing map completion after each story chapter while working on related achievements, I am left with a bitter taste in my mouth (even though I know this is really a "non-issue" for most players).

EDIT: got my numbers wrong - it's 3 POIs locked behind the metas...

Edited by Rayti.6531
  • Like 4
  • Confused 1
  • Sad 2

3 minutes ago, Rayti.6531 said:

On the last map section in the last SotO map, 2 POIs are locked behind the meta (or more like 3 metas, since you have to do them in succession) and another 2 POIs are locked behind the story.

This does not prevent you from working on legendaries or anything, as all the lanterns are accessible. But if you want to do map completion on all your chars (don't ask, I'm weird) apparently you are expected to do the SotO story starting from chapter 17 (including the "fill the bar" part) on all your characters...?

This is a first, as I had no issue to this point getting map comp on all my characters without hopping into a story chapter - I really hope they will go back and add some way to enter the location where the last meta takes place (maybe some kind of portal item, which you get once you finished the story on one character...?).

Things like this really rub me the wrong way - I'm not a fan of the recent story but understand why it is what it is... But as someone who enjoys doing map completion after each story chapter while working on related achievements, I am left with a bitter taste in my mouth (even though I know this is really a "non-issue" for most players).

I feel ya. Map completion was always a part of "my thing". Even back in Guild Wars 1 I was known in my guild as the guy who has all outposts will all characters. SotO seems to be the first time in almost 18 years I have to break with this tradition. There's no way I run the story and the meta with all my characters (38). 

• Like 2

1 hour ago, Maria Murtor.7253 said:

I feel ya. Map completion was always a part of "my thing". Even back in Guild Wars 1 I was known in my guild as the guy who has all outposts will all characters. SotO seems to be the first time in almost 18 years I have to break with this tradition. There's no way I run the story and the meta with all my characters (38). 

Glad I'm not the only crazy person here (even though it's not that many chars in my case :D).

I just hope there are enough of us for ANet to care... I don't mind doing the meta on all of my chars (even though I suspect I need to be quick before the content dies out). But going through the story that many times is definitely a "nope".

• Like 2

• 2 weeks later...
On 5/22/2024 at 10:41 PM, Rayti.6531 said:

I don't want to burst your bubble and I really appreciate them going back and fixing stuff like this... But to me it seems they do not learn from it at all/just did something similar in the new story chapter (unless I miss something obvious -> any hints if I missed something would be much appreciated!). On the last map section in the last SotO map, 3 POIs are locked behind the meta (or more like 3 metas, since you have to do them in succession) and another 2 POIs are locked behind the story.

That is unfortunate.  One of things that perplexes me about GW2 and ArenaNet is how they make improvements and then can end up making the same mistakes again.  I imagine with so many teams working on the game having cohesion is difficult, but it should be straightforward to have overall rules for design like 'Don't put POIs behind anything remotely resembling a timegate/sink'.   

When I'm doing the story, I don't get any sense of accomplishment when I get a POI, I'm just following the story not exploring the map.  It's the same thing with the meta, I'm doing that for the meta, not to unlock POIs.  There's not any sense of saving time by accomplishing both at once, it's more of a distraction from my current focus (story or meta). 

I'm personally not concerned with map completion on all my characters, but I can see how some players might be.    Making any kind of achievements co-dependent could be avoided imo.  Simply keep POIs where they belong, on the open world map.  

• Like 4
  • Confused 1
  • Sad 1