Disparity between Static Charge and Pinch of Stardust

I was going to start a topic on this, so I'll just piggyback on this one.

Pinches of Stardust are inconsistent. Static charges are consistently gathered from the magic motes in Skywatch until you hit the 100 cap. In Amnytas, only 1 in 10 map IPs I've been in have given Pinches of Stardust from the floating magic motes. To be clear, I am not talking about event rewards. Those are a completely separate issue.

Since there seems to be no word from Anet yet on whether this is intended or not, I've reported this multiple times as a bug. In the last week, I've only managed to find two map IPs that were giving Stardust from the magic motes, and the maps closed not long after I arrived. In order to find out if this is somehow tied to events, I have done bastion events and the meta on two accounts, then tested to see if the magic motes would reward Stardust. They did not. Either I zoned in to a good IP, or changed maps and got lucky. 

So, Anet, are you going to give us the ability to gather Pinches of Stardust from Amnytas magic motes as we can get Static from the motes in Skywatch?

• Like 2
  • Confused 1

17 hours ago, Elricht Kaltwind.8796 said:

Where did Anet say they were intended to be equal 

The requirements for the Obsidian Armor have an equal amount of Stardust and Static Charges needed. If there's an equal requirement then the reward amount should be equal.

• Like 1
  • Confused 2
  • Sad 1

16 minutes ago, Malus.2184 said:

The requirements for the Obsidian Armor have an equal amount of Stardust and Static Charges needed. If there's an equal requirement then the reward amount should be equal.

Sure, but overall, there are more thing requiring stardust, like most expansion relic and collection. 

You have to look at the global picture. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

14 minutes ago, Shuzuru.3651 said:

Sure, but overall, there are more thing requiring stardust, like most expansion relic and collection. 

You have to look at the global picture. 

Those are unless you have a massive array of alts few in purchases and do nothing to alleviate the fact that you'll need a total amount of 1500 Static Charges to make one full set. And the global picture? The amount you need to use to buy Relics is, for most people, relatively low. After that, they can all be dedicated to Obsidian armor and you can get the amount you need in half to 2/3 the events compared to Static Charges unless you farm out that two-part event line in Drokmar that gives really well per minute compared to every other event in Skywatch. Including the meta if you take anything other than the Case of Captured Lighting and you'll have enough of those a lot faster than you have Static Charges unless you do the incredibly boring cmap.

• Confused 3
  • Sad 1

8 hours ago, Bella Rikka.2387 said:

I was going to start a topic on this, so I'll just piggyback on this one.

Pinches of Stardust are inconsistent. Static charges are consistently gathered from the magic motes in Skywatch until you hit the 100 cap. In Amnytas, only 1 in 10 map IPs I've been in have given Pinches of Stardust from the floating magic motes. To be clear, I am not talking about event rewards. Those are a completely separate issue.

Since there seems to be no word from Anet yet on whether this is intended or not, I've reported this multiple times as a bug. In the last week, I've only managed to find two map IPs that were giving Stardust from the magic motes, and the maps closed not long after I arrived. In order to find out if this is somehow tied to events, I have done bastion events and the meta on two accounts, then tested to see if the magic motes would reward Stardust. They did not. Either I zoned in to a good IP, or changed maps and got lucky. 

So, Anet, are you going to give us the ability to gather Pinches of Stardust from Amnytas magic motes as we can get Static from the motes in Skywatch?

There is another thread on stardust where I've posted this information, but I'll put the synopsis here as well.

For the record, I do not know if this is intended behavior or not, it could very well be a bug, but this is what I found while trying to figure out the inconsistency of the Pinches of Stardust drops that people are discussing.

• Kryptis Turrets (as a type which includes turrets, sentinels, bastions, and drainers) drop floating magic
    • These give pinches up to a cap per day. This may be by drop and not by total, so if you high rolled on each drop and someone low rolled on each there would be a disparity in reported daily cap.
  • The free floating magic in the map may or may not grant pinches of stardust
    • I have never been in a map that these granted pinches of stardust until after I've gathered from the turrets.
  • IF you cap your pinches of stardust via the turrets the following will happen:
    • The turrets will no longer give stardust until the daily reset
    • The free floating magic will give pinches of stardust
      • I have yet to find a cap on pinches of stardust gathered in this manner. I spent hours flying around Amnytas this weekend on they only stopped giving me dust when the daily reset hit.
      • These floating magics respawn after 15-20 minutes.
      • One lap around Amnytas gives about 250 pinches of stardust
        • The floating magic can sometimes give 2-3 drops of pinches of stardust, from 2-4 pinches per drop.
    • This resets at daily reset where you then have to cap the stardust from the turrets again.

@Rubi Bayer.8493, can we get confirmation please? People here and on reddit are finding different behaviors regarding gathering Pinches of Stardust. I will say that the process I laid out above has worked consistently for me. Is there a bug here or just an alternative interaction that people are working out? If it is a new and intended interaction, I'll dive more into it and post more information to help people, but if all this is bugged can we get confirmation on what is supposed to be the interaction?

Edited by Lan Deathrider.5910
Adding Rubi.
  • Like 2
  • Thanks 4

4 hours ago, Malus.2184 said:

Those are unless you have a massive array of alts few in purchases and do nothing to alleviate the fact that you'll need a total amount of 1500 Static Charges to make one full set. And the global picture? The amount you need to use to buy Relics is, for most people, relatively low. After that, they can all be dedicated to Obsidian armor and you can get the amount you need in half to 2/3 the events compared to Static Charges unless you farm out that two-part event line in Drokmar that gives really well per minute compared to every other event in Skywatch. Including the meta if you take anything other than the Case of Captured Lighting and you'll have enough of those a lot faster than you have Static Charges unless you do the incredibly boring cmap.

Well, a relic cost as much stardust as a piece of Obsidian armor, so I wouldn't call that few, considering the fact relics are soulbound, so you can't just buy 1 of each kind. 

And let's not forget all the collection requiring the same amount of stardust than that. 

It wouldn't be too silly to say you need 2 times more stardust than static charge, actually.

Personally, I have farmed Amnytas way more than Skywatch, and while I'm still starving for stardust, I have 500+ static charge without even trying. There is just not much thing to buy with static charges. 

• Like 2

8 minutes ago, Shuzuru.3651 said:

Well, a relic cost as much stardust as a piece of Obsidian armor, so I wouldn't call that few, considering the fact relics are soulbound, so you can't just buy 1 of each kind. 

And let's not forget all the collection requiring the same amount of stardust than that. 

It wouldn't be too silly to say you need 2 times more stardust than static charge, actually.

Personally, I have farmed Amnytas way more than Skywatch, and while I'm still starving for stardust, I have 500+ static charge without even trying. There is just not much thing to buy with static charges. 

Relics only costs 1/5 of a piece of Legendary armor though. If you got 1/5 more I could sorta understand it and the cadence by which you get Stardust due to the meta is a lot more than a 1/5 increase.

3 hours ago, Lan Deathrider.5910 said:
      • One lap around Amnytas gives about 250 pinches of stardust
        • The floating magic can sometimes give 2-3 drops of pinches of stardust, from 2-4 pinches per drop.
    • This resets at daily reset where you then have to cap the stardust from the turrets again

Any chance you have a map or route laid out that can be followed? I need way too much stardust for all the things requiring it and am having a hard time finding a consistent and time-efficient way of getting it.

3 hours ago, Malus.2184 said:

Relics only costs 1/5 of a piece of Legendary armor though. If you got 1/5 more I could sorta understand it and the cadence by which you get Stardust due to the meta is a lot more than a 1/5 increase.

You don't make any sense, you said that the full set required 1500 static charges, so 1500 stardust since the quantities are similar. 

1 set = 6 pièces, 1500/6 = 250/piece

Relics cost 250 stardust, so, similar cost.

I don't know where your 1/5 is coming. 

34 minutes ago, idpersona.3810 said:

Any chance you have a map or route laid out that can be followed? I need way too much stardust for all the things requiring it and am having a hard time finding a consistent and time-efficient way of getting it.

I start at bastion of the natural and go counter clockwise. I ride down from obscure to natural and loop back to obscure at the end the swap to griffon/wp to get back to the natural/knowledge gap.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 2

Just tested what @Lan Deathrider.5910 wrote out and I can confirm. Thanks so much for outlining all that.

1. I could not gather stardust, only XP, from floating motes
  2. I gathered stardust from approximately 30-35 turrets
  3. Then I was able to get stardust from floating motes again (but not turrets)

Update: #3 persists even after relogging (before reset).

Edited by mezuzel.4987
  • Like 2

1 hour ago, mezuzel.4987 said:

Just tested what @Lan Deathrider.5910 wrote out and I can confirm. Thanks so much for outlining all that.

1. I could not gather stardust from floating motes, only XP

And it lasts until reset as far as I can tell, and boy did I test that out yesterday.

• Like 2

16 hours ago, Shuzuru.3651 said:

You don't make any sense, you said that the full set required 1500 static charges, so 1500 stardust since the quantities are similar. 

1 set = 6 pièces, 1500/6 = 250/piece

Relics cost 250 stardust, so, similar cost.

I don't know where your 1/5 is coming. 

I never talked about the price. I talked about the amount you get and the amount of Stardust you get from the meta is, head math, around 60-70. I've never gotten more than 24 Static Charges from the Skywatch meta. You have to spend more time in Skywatch than you have to do in Amnytas for the same reward. That's the issue.

21 hours ago, Lan Deathrider.5910 said:

I start at bastion of the natural and go counter clockwise. I ride down from obscure to natural and loop back to obscure at the end the swap to griffon/wp to get back to the natural/knowledge gap.

So I did this last night. I don't think I have a very efficient loop, but I con confirm it works. I did need to finish getting Stardust from turrets before the motes would reward any.

Since it was somewhat mind-numbing, it occurs to me just how much grind is involved with this mini-expansion. Once you finish the story bit, all there is left is grinding one thing or another. There's just (seemingly, to me) very little depth to this content. Which is kind of sad.

• Like 2
  • Sad 1

6 minutes ago, idpersona.3810 said:

So I did this last night. I don't think I have a very efficient loop, but I con confirm it works. I did need to finish getting Stardust from turrets before the motes would reward any.

You can't make it super efficient anyway. The orbs have a 15 minute respawn timer. I tried to be quicker about it but ended up having to wait. You'll know if you got the route down though if once you get back to a spot the orbs respawn as soon as you get there.

The Natural-Knowledge gap has a good amount.

The Knowledge-Strength gap has a good amount. There is usually a Rich Mithril vein here.

The Strength-Balance gap has a TON.

The Balance-Obscure gap is pitiful. I tried skipping it entirely but ended up having to wait on the Natural-Knowledge gap orbs to respawn.

The Obscure-Natural gap has a good amount, but they are spread out to the far islands. I either WP to the Natural WP and loop Counter clockwise around this gap, or Skyscale over from the Balance-Obscure gap and do it Clockwise. There is usually a Rich Ori vein here.

6 minutes ago, idpersona.3810 said:

Since it was somewhat mind-numbing, it occurs to me just how much grind is involved with this mini-expansion. Once you finish the story bit, all there is left is grinding one thing or another. There's just (seemingly, to me) very little depth to this content. Which is kind of sad.

I'm practically wrote an isekai light novel in my head about a guy doing too much DMT that he ended up in the fey world 😕.

FWIW Amnytas is beautiful and I enjoy flying around it. This is the kind of thing you can zen out to while listening to music. Given the price point of the Stormforged weapons, it actually isn't too bad gold/hour to do either.

• Like 2

23 minutes ago, Lan Deathrider.5910 said:

You can't make it super efficient anyway. The orbs have a 15 minute respawn timer. I tried to be quicker about it but ended up having to wait. You'll know if you got the route down though if once you get back to a spot the orbs respawn as soon as you get there.

The Natural-Knowledge gap has a good amount.

The Knowledge-Strength gap has a good amount. There is usually a Rich Mithril vein here.

The Strength-Balance gap has a TON.

The Balance-Obscure gap is pitiful. I tried skipping it entirely but ended up having to wait on the Natural-Knowledge gap orbs to respawn.

The Obscure-Natural gap has a good amount, but they are spread out to the far islands. I either WP to the Natural WP and loop Counter clockwise around this gap, or Skyscale over from the Balance-Obscure gap and do it Clockwise. There is usually a Rich Ori vein here.

I'm practically wrote an isekai light novel in my head about a guy doing too much DMT that he ended up in the fey world 😕.

FWIW Amnytas is beautiful and I enjoy flying around it. This is the kind of thing you can zen out to while listening to music. Given the price point of the Stormforged weapons, it actually isn't too bad gold/hour to do either.

Thank you. That's all really helpful to know.

It was relaxing, but it's a fairly large time sink to just have to fly in mostly boring circles to gather this one resource for hours.

I'm currently working on Honorary Astral Ward and A New Look. Both take a few hundred stardust. A new Friend took 375 I think. Astral Ward armor looks like it takes a bunch too. So there's mindless grind for the stardust and for the shards (I have more of them atm) and for the essences....for everything post-story in this expansion. It just seems like that grind is going to end up being the majority of the game play post-story. Even several of the mastery points required me to go directly back and repeat content just to make an alternate choice somewhere along the way. I don't recall having to do that on previous expansions to finish out the mastery tracks.

/shrug

this isn't complaining really. It is what it is. Just a realization I came to last night. Post-story feels a lot different to me this time around than it did with EoD or PoF.

21 hours ago, mezuzel.4987 said:

1. I could not gather stardust, only XP, from floating motes

Update: #3 persists even after relogging (before reset).

Yeah, I was coming here to say is noticed something similar but you've got much better information.

I did the meta, the map closed and suddenly I was getting stardust from motes. I guess I must have "completed" getting the stardust from the turrets before the map closed. It's an odd way to do things.

• Like 3

28 minutes ago, idpersona.3810 said:

Thank you. That's all really helpful to know.

It was relaxing, but it's a fairly large time sink to just have to fly in mostly boring circles to gather this one resource for hours.

Hey, 15 minutes is all you need for 250 pinches of Stardust, so take that FWIW.

28 minutes ago, idpersona.3810 said:

I'm currently working on Honorary Astral Ward and A New Look. Both take a few hundred stardust. A new Friend took 375 I think. Astral Ward armor looks like it takes a bunch too. So there's mindless grind for the stardust and for the shards (I have more of them atm) and for the essences....for everything post-story in this expansion. It just seems like that grind is going to end up being the majority of the game play post-story. Even several of the mastery points required me to go directly back and repeat content just to make an alternate choice somewhere along the way. I don't recall having to do that on previous expansions to finish out the mastery tracks.

/shrug

this isn't complaining really. It is what it is. Just a realization I came to last night. Post-story feels a lot different to me this time around than it did with EoD or PoF.

I believe the intent is for us to do the meta daily for the pouches, and not for us to grind like this. But, I like that the grind is an option. I'd rather not be beholden to doing metas on a set timer. The Essence grind can be alleviated with the Rift weeklies, and besides when the convergences come out, perhaps that will give many more essences.

I think the grind is there for people that want it and want to get the currencies ASAP, but will not be required in the end.

• Like 3

1 hour ago, Lan Deathrider.5910 said:

Hey, 15 minutes is all you need for 250 pinches of Stardust, so take that FWIW.

Like I said, I think I need a more efficient route. Only started last night and practice will help. I spent about an 45-60 minutes playing last night and got about 400 pinches (enough for one of the achievements). So I'm far far below your numbers 🙂
That's also why I was asking. I figured something in what I was doing was off.

1 hour ago, Lan Deathrider.5910 said:

I believe the intent is for us to do the meta daily for the pouches, and not for us to grind like this. But, I like that the grind is an option. I'd rather not be beholden to doing metas on a set timer. The Essence grind can be alleviated with the Rift weeklies, and besides when the convergences come out, perhaps that will give many more essences.

I think the grind is there for people that want it and want to get the currencies ASAP, but will not be required in the end.

That's fair and I agree. I like the options too. I just need to make sure to be on for the meta and get it done more often.

I need 2 more pouches and was planning on grabbing them from the meta-chest. There's several somewhat-hidden requirements throughout the achievements that take 250 pinches of dust specifically. So I need plenty of pinches as well.