Red texture edges on mount dyes

Dual.8953

This has bugged me so much, that something otherwise so well designed seems to have this texture flaw.. We don't have lines on armors and gliders that are dyable, the other mounts don't have this problem that I've seen, it seems to be exclusively a griffon issue. It's like it's forcing you to make dark/light contrasts, just so it's not glaringly noticeable, and even then, it's needing to be orange or red or purple to blend in. If there must be an undertone there for shading reasons, can't it be a more neutral medium tone grey instead of this reddish hue?

• 1 month later...

@Zionka.6897 said:This has bugged me so much, that something otherwise so well designed seems to have this texture flaw.. We don't have lines on armors and gliders that are dyable, the other mounts don't have this problem that I've seen, it seems to be exclusively a griffon issue.

It's not just griffons--I've had it on all five mounts with both the Spooky and the Wintersday skins, depending on the dyes used. It has required a lot of fiddling and scrapping some desired dye combinations altogether.

Don't quote me on this, but I always assumed it was an alpha problem.Anyone who deals with 3D models and texturing know what alphas and channels are.

The problem is they're making the outline of the alphas into red and not something that would make more sense like black or something.The next issue is the alpha box is way too small and should be widened a bit.

@Asum.4960 said:These red shades and lines have been on some Armor pieces as well, which hasn't been fixed in over 5 years now, so don't hold your breath.

There's one light armour piece for females that the panties on the back have a very long red upside-down triangle at the back of it. The only easy example I can think of. Forgot which armour(s) it's on as I usually try to keep away from panty-clothing as I don't want to look like a Kasmeer.

@Ayumi Spender.1082 said:Don't quote me on this, but I always assumed it was an alpha problem.Anyone who deals with 3D models and texturing know what alphas and channels are.

The problem is they're making the outline of the alphas into red and not something that would make more sense like black or something.The next issue is the alpha box is way too small and should be widened a bit.

@Asum.4960 said:These red shades and lines have been on some Armor pieces as well, which hasn't been fixed in over 5 years now, so don't hold your breath.

There's one light armour piece for females that the panties on the back have a very long red upside-down triangle at the back of it. The only easy example I can think of. Forgot which armour(s) it's on as I usually try to keep away from panty-clothing as I don't want to look like a Kasmeer.

I only have male characters, so my experience is with those only, especially Light and Medium ones.

Stuff like Male Sneakthief Armour comes to mind, which had this issue for years. I'm not sure if some of those have been fixed or if it just doesn't show up in previews.Half the male Light Armour Pants have that issue as well with dark colours.

Deciding on a look for my Thief and Necro, which tend to be dyed in dark colours, has always been half which armour set I like, and half which isn't riddled with red lines.

@Asum.4960 said:

@Ayumi Spender.1082 said:Don't quote me on this, but I always assumed it was an alpha problem.Anyone who deals with 3D models and texturing know what alphas and channels are.

I only have male characters, so my experience is with those only, especially Light and Medium ones.

Stuff like Male Sneakthief Armour comes to mind, which had this issue for years. I'm not sure if some of those have been fixed or if it just doesn't show up in previews.Half the male Light Armour Pants have that issue as well with dark colours.

Deciding on a look for my Thief and Necro, which tend to be dyed in dark colours, has always been half which armour set I like, and half which isn't riddled with red lines.

Made a quick character to show the example on just one of the panty outfits (as I'm not going to transmutate my character into this thing just for a screenshot)https://i.imgur.com/LbtCGqu.jpgAnd yes, that's right on the beginning outfit you get. I've seen it on others just as bad too.

@CharterforGw.3149 said:

Anet is almost digging their own grave this way, people will stop buying, and maybe even stop playing the game over things such as this.

Stop playing? I doubt it.Stop buying? Probably.

Armour you can argue is into the game itself that is part of a package so they can say they don't need to fix/change. BUT for the mount skins you have to buy separately and directly outside of the main content of the core/expansion games and it's not working as they thought it would work with those red alpha lining everywhere... then they might give up buying those skins.

@"Dual.8953" said:I see this mostly with the Griffon skins but can something be done about the red base coat of the mount skins? I'm finding it really annoying if you're trying to give your mount a colour scheme that incorporates any cooler colours.https://imgur.com/a/BmUNs

..ah I thought it was the paticular skin...i only have the xmas ones, and the snowflakes seem to have a red outline on some dyes...I guess this isn't intended?

I do hope they fix it, the red outline is annoying.

@Kal Spiro.9745 said:Use a different color. I've had no issues coloring each mount with any color by finding the right version of that color.

Tell me which black works?

@"CharuStar.4109" said:Took time to pick out the more obvious examples for the Springer for those who were a bit curious. I still need to try out the other mounts but this is definitely an eye sore.Ec9nn0w.png

You say eyesore, but look at the 2nd Springer... that LOOKS like an actual sore. Not sure what happened to that Springer, but someone really need to get it to a vet to check out that horrible rash.

@Ayumi Spender.1082 said:

@Kal Spiro.9745 said:Use a different color. I've had no issues coloring each mount with any color by finding the right version of that color.

@"CharuStar.4109" said:Took time to pick out the more obvious examples for the Springer for those who were a bit curious. I still need to try out the other mounts but this is definitely an eye sore.
Ec9nn0w.png

You say eyesore, but look at the 2nd Springer... that LOOKS like an actual sore. Not sure what happened to that Springer, but someone really need to get it to a vet to check out that horrible rash.

I actually think the patterning on that second springer is kinda cool. But definitely not if you can't control the color of it.

@Ayumi Spender.1082 said:You say eyesore, but look at the 2nd Springer... that LOOKS like an actual sore. Not sure what happened to that Springer, but someone really need to get it to a vet to check out that horrible rash.

Now that you mention it that's kinda what it looks like. That poor Springer...I swear my mounts are well taken care of lol.

@Taygus.4571 said:I actually think the patterning on that second springer is kinda cool. But definitely not if you can't control the color of it.

Yeah, it is unfortunate that it cannot be altered in any way, especially when you're trying to use any sort of solid color design.

@Ayumi Spender.1082 said:

Ok, so after experimenting a bit, yeah. Shadow Abyss is the blackest black and on every mount there is a red tinge that is still visible. I'd never tried to make a pure black mount. Every other color is doable, but black less so.