Legendary Air-Breather

I am having problems managing my runes and infusions with the generic air -breathers. It really conflicts when I change builds on a character. I change often in WvW as needs must. You have created three seperate paths to gain leggie armor. The air-breather is just another piece of armor. Can it be that hard to go Legendary ?

• Like 5
  • Confused 1
  • Sad 1

My initial response was to either make the airbreather legendary or remove it entirely, I'd be good either way. My second thought was that there could be issues with either of those choices. If the airbreathers go legendary, will we have to make three different versions of them - light, medium, and heavy? Ouch! On the other hand, if we just eliminate airbreathers entirely, where will the swim-speed infusions go? I have a +20 swim-speed infusion on my WvW alt, which comes in really handy  when enemies jump into the water at Bay, thinking they can escape that way.  😅

If the airbreather could be reduced to one legendary rather than three, or if we got someplace else to slot the swim-speed infusion, I'd be good either way.

I doubt they'll do anything with Breathers anytime soon.

With turning the once-Eldritch entity Deep-Sea dragon into the Disney dragon that is Soo-Won and dragging it onto land, as well as stating their disinterest in creating underwater variants of the Aurene legendaries, they did all but officially confirm that they have no love for underwater content.

That aside, I don't think there is any real need for a legendary breather. Farming berries for the Season 3 Ascended breather takes a few days at most and you don't need more than a handful of those.

Edited by Fueki.4753
  • Thanks 1

52 minutes ago, Fueki.4753 said:

I doubt they'll do anything with Breathers anytime soon.

With turning the once-Eldritch entity Deep-Sea dragon into the Disney dragon that is Soo-Won and dragging it onto land, as well as stating their disinterest in creating underwater variants of the Aurene legendaries, they did all but officially confirm that they have no love for underwater content.

That aside, I don't think there is any real need for a legendary breather. Farming berries for the Season 3 Ascended breather takes a few days at most and you don't need more than a handful of those.

They might not have made underwater legendaries since HoT, but they have introduced new underwater weapon skins in the past year, as opposed to none in the almost decade before. I'm not saying we can draw conclusions from that with regards to potential underwater content, but I did find it peculiar that they started releasing a few underwater weapon skins again.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, TheNecrosanct.4028 said:

They might not have made underwater legendaries since HoT, but they have introduced new underwater weapon skins in the past year, as opposed to none in the almost decade before. I'm not saying we can draw conclusions from that with regards to potential underwater content, but I did find it peculiar that they started releasing a few underwater weapon skins again.

I don't think a handful of stand-alone weapon skins mean anything, when aquatic weapons still are missing from full sets of skins.

For all we know (which is next to nothing), those weapons could just have been token skins to evoke a flimsy "we haven't forgotten underwater" feeling.

Edited by Fueki.4753

22 hours ago, server st anne.8750 said:

It really conflicts when I change builds on a character.

Easiest solution: ignore it entirely.

So you swim around in wvw with a level 1 starter-breather without any upgrades, so what?
You shy away from the intense under water battles in wvw? Or anywhere in open world?

I remember just 1 place in that proper underwater gear was important and that was a path in the koda dungeon.

• Thanks 1

4 hours ago, Chichimec.9364 said:

where will the swim-speed infusions go? I have a +20 swim-speed infusion on my WvW alt, which comes in really handy  when enemies jump into the water at Bay, thinking they can escape that way.  😅

If the airbreather could be reduced to one legendary rather than three, or if we got someplace else to slot the swim-speed infusion, I'd be good either way.

That's a thing? I didn't know that was a thing! I want one of those!

• Haha 1

(shakes head)

What is even the purpose of the breathers in the first place? Underwater armor is so pointless. It's like, you can breathe without it! If gw2 had basic underwater mechanics like oxygen meters, then the existence of them could be justified. And then there is underwater mechanics as a whole. It's obvious that they're tacked on and there's just not much of anything going for them.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, ShadowKatt.6740 said:

That's a thing? I didn't know that was a thing! I want one of those!

You need to talk to Dive Master Astora.

4 hours ago, Lucy.3728 said:

Easiest solution: ignore it entirely.

So you swim around in wvw with a level 1 starter-breather without any upgrades, so what?
You shy away from the intense under water battles in wvw? Or anywhere in open world?...

It doesn't happen often, maybe two or three times a month. Imagine you are defending Bay around the Lord and you lose. The keep immediately flips on you and all the exits are blocked. Some failed defenders jump off the walls and into the water, hoping to evade combat until they can port out. That's when the fun begins and no, they can't shy away from intense underwater battles then.  🤣🏊‍♂️🤣

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

7 hours ago, Chichimec.9364 said:

That's when the fun begins

Bay, underwater, was the only time I, all alone, managed to kill a thief 😄
(on the surface they either kill me/chase me to death or escape with their better mobility and stealth 😞)

I like underwater with rev but while my breather is lvl 80 (dunno what color though) it doesn't share the same rune anymore. I only crafted 6 leg. runes because fk the breather xD
But speeding up, hm. I wonder. My rev has already the speed relic, I doubt breather speed does increase that.

Edited by Lucy.3728

8 minutes ago, Lucy.3728 said:

...But speeding up, hm. I wonder. My rev has already the speed relic, I doubt breather speed does increase that.

It seems a swim-speed infusion can work with speed relic to increase one's underwater speed both in and out of combat. And yeah, I like revs for underwater combat as well as reapers. My WvW alt is a scrapper, which also does a nice job of fighting underwater. 

On 10/29/2023 at 2:56 PM, Chichimec.9364 said:

It seems a swim-speed infusion can work with speed relic to increase one's underwater speed both in and out of combat. And yeah, I like revs for underwater combat as well as reapers. My WvW alt is a scrapper, which also does a nice job of fighting underwater. 

it has a cap but i forgot what it was

• Confused 1

My tip is to buy a celestial aqua breather for winter berries and slap a legendary rune on it. That way your underwater stats don't deviate too far from your land based stats and you can have the 6 rune bonus on all your templates. People tend to forget that legendary armor isn't the only way you can switch runes around freely, having legendary runes does the same.