[Future-proof for dev]Times are mature for mobile porting

I doubt a port to mobile will ever happen and there are two important reasons for this.

1:  The specs of the game are not easy portable. It doesn't run on a popular known engine, but an in-house developed engine  that is heavily modified just for this game.
2: although based partly on rumors, a few years ago they where working an a second game besides GW2 for mobile gaming. It failed, the project failed, the studio was in heavy weather and many people lost their jobs due to that project. (we know the lay-offs where true and a second project, something to do with mobile gaming, the rest is speculation).

What I do suspect is that they might develop a new game for multi-platform (e.g. as a streaming service). This means it might be playable on a mobile phone, but I would not keep my hopes up. The industry is constantly on the move and the direction isnt clear yet. So I would not start developing in any direction.

• Like 1

23 hours ago, zeyeti.8347 said:

And i sincerly hope anet will not use ressource into that, so that just a M-i-n-o-r-i-t-y of gamers (Mobile "gaming" isn't gaming , i should have pointed that out) keep the ******** mobile gaming out of the true world of real gaming design, want some proof ?

So we are improving now, defining what a gamer is. I don't want shock you about how many hours I played GW2 (but really hope someone in dev team look this data to make their considerations). 

The point is: somewhere in the life you don't have the time you used to have in past to do shiny things because new challenges in life happen (work? family? busy life?) and if you want preserve this things you simply can't plan a game session at PC or you don't have the will to do it. But you have always spared time to spend like you prefer even on couch or bed surfing or watching something relaxing (tiredness happen) (why not playing gw2 in not an hardcore session and in confort then?)

23 hours ago, zeyeti.8347 said:

hero wars , clash of clan (so called strategy game where you can't even control your troops, ... ) all of that is similar to me as diarrhea and i , as many others, don't want that to happen to this game, even if there is only a small chance to happen, and if you search you will notice all fervent mobile gamers are playing because they are bored and have nothing else to do , i play gw 2 and other real games because i want to play it, big diff.

Now, breath, do you really think I wrote here because I don't want to play GW2 but just for causality? Or do you think I like to flame? If you can't define myself and something like me players or gamers at least consider us like numbers, and when you host/make a game where the interactions between players are the key for success, well in that case numbers matter. And numbers create money. Money create resource for new developing opportunities.

All the techincal difficulties can be smoothed with the will to overcome it. These are same wills I want talk to: I tied many of PC games in past decades of my life and many of mobiles games in the last one (almost all the mobile quoted in this post) i can say the  gw2 in the beautifulest I tried in all my life, for experience, emotion; past the thousand hours of playing you can feel a little bored but you always can enjoy a wvw or pvp without feen the sensation of deja-vu.

and again, there is no doubt this will come somewhere in future because the market and the evolutions of devices force the companies to new reflections.

For the community, where I feel and insider even if I'm not represented in this topic, this should be a welcome idea and not a cause od vomit bile or diarrhea,  because there is much to gain and really few to lose.

Edited by Skorpion.4850
  • Confused 1
  • Sad 1

4 minutes ago, Antycypator.9874 said:

So you want Guild Wars 2 to be a game loaded with predatory monetization, that mostly plays itself?

no because the model business GW2 adopt (free base game paying expansion) is just perfect for mobile market segment; moreover this model is something unique in the game mobile business and will be something groundshaking with big numbers following; without changing anything else ANet have the power (tnx GW2) to make Big Voice out of there

• Confused 2
  • Sad 1

1 hour ago, Skorpion.4850 said:

no because the model business GW2 adopt (free base game paying expansion) is just perfect for mobile market segment; moreover this model is something unique in the game mobile business and will be something groundshaking with big numbers following; without changing anything else ANet have the power (tnx GW2) to make Big Voice out of there

In the same way polo is the perfect sport for the US market that would completely replace that peasant sport of American football.

• Like 4
  • Haha 1

1 hour ago, Skorpion.4850 said:

The business model is one thing. The product itself is very much something else, and it's disastrously ill-suited to this "groundshaking" suggestion of yours. But if you want to focus on a business model then you need to explain how the cost::benefit calculation works out, because you seem to be operating on some vague "Field of Dreams" supposition that if you build it, they will come. Why should ANet commit personnel and resources to a project of questionable merit that presents enormous technical challenges:

• Custom-built gaming engine
  • Dated and untouchable spaghetti code in the core game
  • Porting for compatibility with processor architectures and operating systems it was never designed for
  • complete overhaul of its layered, detailed and complex GUI and control systems to make it functional on a small touchscreen interface
  • figuring out how to compress a 66+GB game enough to fit on the average smartphone's (typically small) storage without degrading the device's performance
  • Etc. etc. and so on.

All that and more just to re-publish a game that's over a decade old and is, charitably, past its prime. How many consumers are likely to pay for this product (because all of that above will cost money, they're not going to do any of this for free)? Do provide research supporting your presumption of sufficient market demand, because barely readable assertions won't cut it.

• Like 5
  • Thanks 1

4 hours ago, Skorpion.4850 said:

All the techincal difficulties can be smoothed with the will to overcome it.

This is a very optimistic take, but not a realistic take.  Core issues in code sometimes can't be just smoothed over, you need a full overhaul. Engineers don't always leave good documentarion behind or comment their code. A loss of a subject matter expert on core infrastructure can make it almost impossible to overcome technical difficulties. 

Plus I have seen the state of mobile MMOs most really only work on auto play or some form of automation because touch screen controls are the least precise way to do things and hotbar based combat is really janky. Is controller support an option? Possibly but agsin unless done correctly like the cross-hotbar setup in FF14 it will be a worse experience. It also means needing to carry a controller with your phone or tablet.

Edited by hathreyn.4138
Spelling and grammar
  • Like 2
  • Thanks 1

On 10/31/2023 at 11:34 PM, zeyeti.8347 said:

Try landing an aoe with precision with those sticks or even the fingerpad , if you play only melee it's okay ish , but anything range is really stuck in term of accessibility, the problem here is not configuration , teh steam deck handle the game pretty well , but gw 2 is jst not ment for many ppl to be played with a controller or sticks , imagine playing elden ring with a mouse and a keyboard , it doenst feel the same at all.

guess it's okay on easy content.

I used a controller for 2 months in 2021 as a replacement mouse thanks to a broken collarbone and placing AoEs precisely isn't as hard as you'd imagine.

• Thanks 1
  • Confused 1

16 hours ago, IAmNotMatthew.1058 said:

I used a controller for 2 months in 2021 as a replacement mouse thanks to a broken collarbone and placing AoEs precisely isn't as hard as you'd imagine.

Good for you , so what's the point ? i play with a 12 buttons mouse , show me a controller who has so many buttons.

As you said in 2021 , i guess you are still using it ? Some games are more ment to be played with this or this kind of controller , you can play how you want , but saying you have equal apm as someone with a mouse is optimistic , and playing a game with the "non optimal" setting is seen as a challenge , can't imagine playing mortal combat with a keyboard ...

Again as my opinion under all text says , show me some gameplay footage with proof you have the same reaction , dps output , boon apllication than someone with a keyboard/mouse combo in a hard content , not killing moas in queensdale ... i can do that afk.

I don't mean to be irrespecetable here but i like facts over being optimistic, play with what controller you want, but stop saying it is as efficient as the optimal setup , it's like saying whine for 2,99 euros taste the same as the old Bertani amarone (ty google).

23 hours ago, Skorpion.4850 said:

You know gw2 need a big motherboard more than a graphic card , don't think the cellphones can add gw 2 to their shop without anet working hard on the downgrade for it.

Those ppl are first off a company , and as other company their goal n*1 is to make money , if ncsoft or anet sees an opportunity to make more money with adding to the mobile game they would have done so long time ago, the addition to steam was first for a better visibility (we all know gw 2 isn't the mmo you hear about in every corner , cause lack of visibility) more good reviews from already active players selling the game (good move) and , personal thought , to get the steamdeck addition , so here you have your mobile version of it , and steam deck is franckly struggling when there are big events with many players around.

The best mobile games are honor of kings (wish version of league of legends) , monster strike (an anime game with so much pink in it i think i am gonna puke a rainbow), Pubg mobile (again a wish version of this slow a*s so called tps), pokemon Go (pokemon gameplay yeahhhh , snorrr , snorrr 😴), and all those games have in common is kitten graphics , very narrow gameplay (yes lol has a narrow gameplay , while not being slow i admit, i am not a pro , but you have 4 skills and a passiv , that kind of gameplay can indeed be adapted for a cellphone).

Some games could be great on a mobile version like turn based games , i would see baldur's gate 3 on a phone , with kitten graphics of course and don't tell me the graphics are great , the screen is so tiny you can't even tell... and i don't say baldur gate 3 is a kitten game , hell no , but the gameplay can be easily adapted for a cellphone, i can't imagine gw 2 with his nervous gameplay having my thumbs marked all over my cellphone till the screen goes scratch , and don't bring up the controller or the mouse/keyboard for a cellphoen ... what's the point having those ... take a steamdeck then... 

Once more controller are adapted , and steam deck version exist , so why do you want gw 2 on your cellphone ? don't tell me it's only because you think it would be great for this studio , that's hypocrisis, tell the truth.

Edited by zeyeti.8347

23 hours ago, Skorpion.4850 said:

no because the model business GW2 adopt (free base game paying expansion) is just perfect for mobile market segment;

It's not. You want people to pay for your game all the time and for everything — small amounts of money for little things, like skip content, get better rewards or lootboxes. This is why mobile games can make literal millions of $$$.

Current model business is good for PC players, not for mobile market.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, zeyeti.8347 said:

You know gw2 need a big motherboard more than a graphic card , don't think the cellphones can add gw 2 to their shop without anet working hard on the downgrade for it

That's because you assume inside the word "cellphone"  something like a star tak and not a mobile gaming console. The opportunities come from new processors and new rams inside the new phones (A17 from Iphone 15 models in primis but i assume Qualcomm gen 3 inside S24 will be on pair or better) and as you can see you don't have to sacrificate anything. https://www.androidauthority.com/resident-evil-village-iphone-15-pro-max-3380846/ All you need is a controller like backbone and you are good to go. 

60gb or more is not a problem on modern phones (genshin impact for comparison is 36gb), all i can say is that prejudice is a big beast and can blinds people preventing them to really see the truth behind their eyes. But Blindness or not you can't stop the progress and you have to front the fact then in a future not so far you will have to play with people that maybe wont have the same dps like you do but they enjoy as mach as you playing the game. I call them numbers, you will call them noobies, ANet will call them source of money, NCSOFT will look at this project (GW2) with a new sight, just the opposite as it was in the past.

• Confused 2

2 hours ago, zeyeti.8347 said:

Good for you , so what's the point ? i play with a 12 buttons mouse , show me a controller who has so many buttons.

As you said in 2021 , i guess you are still using it ? Some games are more ment to be played with this or this kind of controller , you can play how you want , but saying you have equal apm as someone with a mouse is optimistic , and playing a game with the "non optimal" setting is seen as a challenge , can't imagine playing mortal combat with a keyboard ...

Again as my opinion under all text says , show me some gameplay footage with proof you have the same reaction , dps output , boon apllication than someone with a keyboard/mouse combo in a hard content , not killing moas in queensdale ... i can do that afk.

I don't mean to be irrespecetable here but i like facts over being optimistic, play with what controller you want, but stop saying it is as efficient as the optimal setup , it's like saying whine for 2,99 euros taste the same as the old Bertani amarone (ty google).

The point is that it isn't hard to precisely place AoEs, just as I said, something you had concern with. Aiming with a stick isn't much harder than aiming with a mouse otherwise console aim assist would be way wilder.

It would have also helped you if you actually bothered to read what I commented and responded to that instead of going ballistic that "hurr durr show how much DPS you had", especially considering your main issue was AoE placement, nothing else you just mentioned.

But, I can entertain you, I was playing mostly Fractals as either HFB or Alacren, and - as I said in my previous comment you didn't bother to read fully - I used the controller as a replacement mouse for 2 months due to a BROKEN COLLARBONE that prevented me from using a normal mouse due to the sling I had to wear. Boon uptime was fine. Reg, Prot, Might, Quick was 100% without any issues on HFB, Alac was spotless on Alacren, for obvious reasons. DPS wise ~25k peak on Alacren.
Placing AoEs isn't difficult as long as you have a functioning thumb to move the stick.

On the closing note. Nowhere did I say it's as efficient as mouse and keyboard. However, I have already said a few times to read my comment first before responding, so you can avoid making such mistakes like thinking I was exclusively using a controller, talking about it being just as good or still using it.

• Thanks 1

22 minutes ago, Skorpion.4850 said:

That's because you assume inside the word "cellphone"  something like a star tak and not a mobile gaming console. The opportunities come from new processors and new rams inside the new phones (A17 from Iphone 15 models in primis but i assume Qualcomm gen 3 inside S24 will be on pair or better) and as you can see you don't have to sacrificate anything. https://www.androidauthority.com/resident-evil-village-iphone-15-pro-max-3380846/ All you need is a controller like backbone and you are good to go. 

60gb or more is not a problem on modern phones (genshin impact for comparison is 36gb), all i can say is that prejudice is a big beast and can blinds people preventing them to really see the truth behind their eyes. But Blindness or not you can't stop the progress and you have to front the fact then in a future not so far you will have to play with people that maybe wont have the same dps like you do but they enjoy as mach as you playing the game. I call them numbers, you will call them noobies, ANet will call them source of money, NCSOFT will look at this project (GW2) with a new sight, just the opposite as it was in the past.

We will see ! If you like playing on such a small screen good for (for me it's like passing an eye exam and will end up hurting your eyes more than needed just to look whats happening on the screen) you also can point out the small scale of a cellphone and how long it can handle high quality games , you could end up paying way more than a pc if your cellphone burns out in 1year... like my steamdeck burning my hands after 4 hours of elden ring....

just saying if they wanted a mobile gw 2 they would have done so already .

And this will cost some ressources for the studio , ressources way more players want to be invested in content , not in a portage for mobile.

Edited by zeyeti.8347

2 minutes ago, IAmNotMatthew.1058 said:

On the closing note. Nowhere did I say it's as efficient as mouse and keyboard. However, I have already said a few times to read my comment first before responding, so you can avoid making such mistakes like thinking I was exclusively using a controller, talking about it being just as good or still using it.

Then we agree it isn't as efficient as mouse/keyboard , thats my point ... games are designed in a certain way to play with certain set of controls, nor i said it's impossible to land an aoe , it isn't designed for based , it's doable but need lot of practice. I may have a bit overstepped when i said it's impossible to land it , i agree , but never with same precision as with a mouse.

3 hours ago, zeyeti.8347 said:

just saying if they wanted a mobile gw 2 they would have done so already .

And as we all know what Anet wants is peculiar.

As a reminder, Anet has released three expansions and countless smaller content updates in the same time they absolutely REFUSE to fix a known WvW visual bug where a small 3x3x5 meter or so wall mesh is only visible on 2 out of 4 tiers.

Edited by Dawdler.8521
  • Confused 1