Support Staff Confirmed

Lan Deathrider.5910

1 hour ago, DanAlcedo.3281 said:

Give the weapon good power coef. 

It could be condi though. We don't have a 2H melee condi weapon.

Add a cc or 2.

I can see a daze and an immobilize on there.

Make the berserker burst dmg focused. 

Maybe, but if qZerk will become a more complete support build then the burst would need to be support first, damage second.

Should be fine as a power weapon then. 

Still possible for it to be a workable 2H condi weapon though.

I dont see Staff doing any amount of good damage. Keep in mind that Staff exists next to the existing pool of Warrior weapons - we literally have PURE damage weapons, therefore (assuming equal power budget) the overwhelming majority of Staff's budget is allocated into its support and boon capabilities already. 

(I don't think we should have PURE damage weapons for this reason.)

Edited by Jzaku.9765

4 minutes ago, Lan Deathrider.5910 said:

ol. That is fair, but how much of that not being a fan of Condi Warrior comes from the two primary weapons and their gameplay?

I might be alone on this, but I don't like condi or DOT damage on warrior. Waiting for an opponent to bleed out is not warrior-like IMO. Anet sacrificed the sword - the weapon of heroes, the symbol of war - to become a weapon for bleeding opponents. Utter nonsense IMO.

Anet had a great idea with Retaliation boon back when and needed to play on that theme for warrior if they wanted a "condi" for warrior. But I digress. I don't believe condi and DOT damage should be available to warrior. It's supposed to be a bruiser class through and through.

Just now, Dadnir.5038 said:

Friendly reminder to always take what the devs say with a pinch of salt. A skill that share might can be seen as a support skill after all.

You're right, but in the context of the balance preview stream they admitted that they've viewed warrior support as more offensive than defensive in the past but recognize that there is some threshold of defensive support that is required for a support to be successful. I think this is doubly important to recognize since Anet, under the previous lead, pushed for a lot of that offensive support to be baked into auto procs on several classes, either through traits or weapon skills which diminished the need for that dedicated pure offensive support. 

@Lan Deathrider.5910 I mean ...... who Said its just heal focused? It could also bei possibly a Power weapon like a scythe that shares passive boons like regen and some AoE/selfish healing on one or two skills to compensate the not existend movement skills on tha weapon itself. I mean all they Said was "its a Support weapon" and warr was Always a offensive weapon right? ^^

Edited by Myror.7521

20 minutes ago, Myror.7521 said:

@Lan Deathrider.5910 I mean ...... who Said its just heal focused? It could also bei possibly a Power weapon like a scythe that shares passive boons like regen and some AoE/selfish healing on one or two skills to compensate the not existend movement skills on tha weapon itself. I mean all they Said was "its a Support weapon" and warr was Always a offensive weapon right? ^^

It could fully be a soft CC and boon weapon for all we know. Lots of weakness, slow, cripple, vuln, ect and some boons like prot, regen, and resistance with maybe an aoe field and a few blast finishers thrown in.

We'll know more when they release more info. My preference would still be ranged, condi, support, but so long as the support is strong enough I'll be happy regardless.

I expect Staff, if full support, to function as buff animations. 

Basically think of guard staff empower.

Instead we will raise the staff in the air, granting might and then slamming it on the ground to give some Quickness. 

We will maybe have a leap finisher that heals allies under its effect. 

Maybe an aoe cripple skill.

Maybe a core burst that grants regen by "rallying" the allies.

And other nonsensical stuff. Competitive modes will see the least play out of any heal warrior changes, because heal warrior is utterly garbage when Druid, Vindi and even Tempest exist. 

On 11/7/2023 at 1:56 PM, Lan Deathrider.5910 said:

"We will at least get a preview of the new weapons in a beta week set for later this month, starting November 28. With the beta incoming, I asked ArenaNet's balance lead Cal Cohen what we could expect from the new weapon. "Each profession has its own needs," he says, "so we've been looking at how to enhance the roles available to them all in different ways. For example, staff on warrior and rifle on mesmer are intended for support builds." Starting from tomorrow, daily blog posts at the Guild Wars 2 official site will run through each profession's new skills."

The second part of Guild Wars 2's new expansion is out now, and it's taking players to the demon realm | PC Gamer

Okay also I want to add here that its actually aggressively annoying that the way this actually very important information gets distributed to the community is through an article...not a blog post, dev update, forum post, anything on their own website. An article. From a third party.

This is why ANet is terrible with communication and transparency.

Edited by KryTiKaL.3125
  • Thanks 2

6 hours ago, KryTiKaL.3125 said:

Okay also I want to add here that its actually aggressively annoying that the way this actually very important information gets distributed to the community is through an article...not a blog post, dev update, forum post, anything on their own website. An article. From a third party.

This is why ANet is terrible with communication and transparency.

They've started releasing previews on their own site, with ranger maces being first. So it seems that the third-party article was simply a taster, and the meat is going to come from the GW2 site itself. And the real information is going to come from the beta at the end of the month, well before actual implementation early next year. There's going to be plenty of communication and transparency through direct sources soon enough.

7 hours ago, Jackthetripper.9035 said:

You might be underestimating the power of high frequency AOE CC application

Considering the amount of stab and boonrip.. I'd say that it's highly unlikely that people would opt for an indirect support warrior who barely keeps boons and healing since most of its support may come from interrupting enemies. That's the old spb concept which has been obliterated due to nerfs 2 years at least now.

Let's hope warr gets a competitive option for a support in zergs tho, I'd love to play some core once in a while.

Well..(blinks)...that's interesting...

After 11 freakin' years, warrior finally gets a bonafide support build to play. However...

here is the canary in the coal mine. If the weapon skills are a dud, it's dead on arrival. Matters not who says otherwise. If the design doesn't compete with the likes of guardian, rangers or elementalists the staff is crippled before it leaves the cradle. It will just be another offhand sword, rifle or gunsaber And let me ask folks, does Anet currently have a good track record when it comes to weapons?...

22 minutes ago, JTGuevara.9018 said:

here is the canary in the coal mine. If the weapon skills are a dud, it's dead on arrival. Matters not who says otherwise. If the design doesn't compete with the likes of guardian, rangers or elementalists the staff is crippled before it leaves the cradle. It will just be another offhand sword, rifle or gunsaber And let me ask folks, does Anet currently have a good track record when it comes to weapons?...

I wouldn't even be remotely surprised, if Warrior's staff's unique mechanic (if it gets one) requires hitting targets with Bursts.

4 hours ago, draxynnic.3719 said:

They've started releasing previews on their own site, with ranger maces being first. So it seems that the third-party article was simply a taster, and the meat is going to come from the GW2 site itself. And the real information is going to come from the beta at the end of the month, well before actual implementation early next year. There's going to be plenty of communication and transparency through direct sources soon enough.

Fair enough.

8 minutes ago, Fueki.4753 said:

How'd that be even remotely interesting?

It's just more stuff crammed into what we already are shoehorned into doing anyway.

And if the Bursts whiff, it'll be even worse than whiffing them already is.

If the burst is a blast finisher we can leverage Relic of Karakosa regardless of whether it hits. We'll see what they cobble together though.

I have an issue with the block skill on staff Bullet Catcher, it seems that is personal block, I think they should have made it like the DH Shield of Courage directional AOE  block so it has more group oriented 'ou kitten' button for PVE. 
To be a good support you kinda need a Damage denial skill that has easy access on reasonable slot and cd, Ele has auras and Gale , Guardian has all sorts of bubbles even Necro has Corrosive Poison cloud. Warrior has WOJ and Electric Fence and both are not exactly Support material. 

• Like 1