ANet, please don't lock new maps behind story progress for the character [merged]

Manpag.6421

2 hours ago, Eloc Freidon.5692 said:

The problem is that most locations after HoT are gated behind story with no real way to get to a location on your own.

I do not understand this. I can get any new char to any map without playing story. Only issue now is Inner Nayos, because incomplete map so portal in Wizard's tower can not be linked to that map.

Issue here seems really simple. Ppl playing game on one account and at least one char has no issue. Ppl with multiple accounts complain about "I need to to do story on all my accounts to unlock stuff".

• Thanks 1

1 hour ago, Gerebos.1065 said:

If there's no part of the current GW2 which you like or love just sell your account and never look back or put it on hold for some time and pick up again when it seems ok for you to play.

There's lot of place for improvement in the game from all points of view that's sure but it won't change just because a few complain.Majority likes it and loves it.

Adapt or leave,complaining won't solve a thing.

You are not allowed to sell your gw2 account so thats terrible advice.

• Like 1

16 hours ago, Spook.5847 said:

I really hate having to slog through the living story to access new content maps, etc.  I pay for that content, and I want to use it - but without dealing with the living story junk that me and my wife both hate with a passion.  If I had my choice, I would never have played even one single chapter of that trash.

You have to play the 1st mission of each LS once, then you can buy port scrolls or use t2f for all other chars.

• Like 1

• Forum Moderator.6104 changed the title to ANet, please don't lock new maps behind story progress for the character [merged]
20 hours ago, TheNurgle.4825 said:

I do not understand this. I can get any new char to any map without playing story. Only issue now is Inner Nayos, because incomplete map so portal in Wizard's tower can not be linked to that map.

Issue here seems really simple. Ppl playing game on one account and at least one char has no issue. Ppl with multiple accounts complain about "I need to to do story on all my accounts to unlock stuff".

You not understanding is on you. Don't you remember that you can't get to a great deal of maps without doing the story first to get there? Every Living World 3 map requires story to get into it. You can't get into PoF expansion unless you do story or use a guild hall in Vabbi. IBS is the first that lets you get into those maps thanks to the Strike Portal in the Eye of the North.

• Confused 1
  • Sad 1

4 hours ago, Eloc Freidon.5692 said:

You not understanding is on you. Don't you remember that you can't get to a great deal of maps without doing the story first to get there? Every Living World 3 map requires story to get into it. You can't get into PoF expansion unless you do story or use a guild hall in Vabbi. IBS is the first that lets you get into those maps thanks to the Strike Portal in the Eye of the North.

I wrote that "I do not understand this" since I did not want to accuse anyone of breaking ToS. You can get to PoF as you write via Guild Hall or you can use that plea item. Living world 3 map does not require story for all char you just use tome/scroll and you are in.

As I wrote in my first post this issue is only relevant for ppl with multiple accounts and that should be against ToS. I will write it again only issue now is with Inner Nayos map and there you need to finish story on all chars you want to have access to it, but that is because map is not finished and there is even portal in progress at Wizard's tower.

8 hours ago, DarcShriek.5829 said:

I suspect that Anet is waiting for the map to be completely introduced before it provides a short cut to it.

Yup, there's an "under construction" poi in wizards tower which will almost certainly become a portal to inner nay at later releases. It will still probably require completing story at least once.
If OP wants to keep skipping story, he can use tp to a friend.

• Like 1

On 11/26/2023 at 3:19 AM, Gerebos.1065 said:

If there's no part of the current GW2 which you like or love just sell your account and never look back or put it on hold for some time and pick up again when it seems ok for you to play.

There's lot of place for improvement in the game from all points of view that's sure but it won't change just because a few complain.Majority likes it and loves it.

Adapt or leave,complaining won't solve a thing.

Ahhh..unfortunately, some complainers get what they want just to shut them up...and so they complain everytime....these people are not very happy people though.

• Like 1
  • Confused 1

On 11/26/2023 at 3:44 AM, TheNurgle.4825 said:

I think you are correct.  That makes real sense.

• Confused 1

On 11/27/2023 at 6:30 AM, Sobx.1758 said:

Yup, there's an "under construction" poi in wizards tower which will almost certainly become a portal to inner nay at later releases. It will still probably require completing story at least once.
If OP wants to keep skipping story, he can use tp to a friend.

I doubt you'll have to complete the story.  It's NEVER been a requirement before, what evidence do you have that this is changing?

• Confused 2

46 minutes ago, DarcShriek.5829 said:

I doubt you'll have to complete the story.  It's NEVER been a requirement before, what evidence do you have that this is changing?

Well, what evidence do you have that anet just "waits for the map to be completed"?
We have the same "evidence": we're just taking a guess because this is the first expansion in the new release schedule. It can be a story completion on one character, new mastery or whatever else they want it to be.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Sobx.1758 said:

Well, what evidence do you have that anet just "waits for the map to be completed"?
We have the same "evidence": we're just taking a guess because this is the first expansion in the new release schedule. It can be a story completion on one character, new mastery or whatever else they want it to be.

I have no evidence, it's just speculation.  I said "I suspect...".  The reason I suspect that is because typically they have a means for characters to travel to new maps without completing the story, this time they don't.  My question still stands How do you make the leap that characters have to complete the story to get to this location when it's never been required before?  I've answered your question, why are you scared to answer mine?  Completing the story has never been a requirement  before, why do think it is now?  Stop acting like you think the question is unreasonable.

Edited by DarcShriek.5829
  • Confused 3

2 hours ago, Sobx.1758 said:

My "guess" is based on past behavior by Anet.  What is your guess based on?

• Confused 2

11 hours ago, DarcShriek.5829 said:

I have no evidence, it's just speculation.  I said "I suspect...".  The reason I suspect that is because typically they have a means for characters to travel to new maps without completing the story, this time they don't.  My question still stands How do you make the leap that characters have to complete the story to get to this location when it's never been required before?  I've answered your question, why are you scared to answer mine?  Completing the story has never been a requirement  before, why do think it is now?  Stop acting like you think the question is unreasonable.

Exactly -and I said "probably". Since when do they need to "completely introduce a map" to open a portal? Gyala didn't need its last update to have means of entering it. So yeah, I'm confused about the angle of your previous post: what you described isn't how it worked before either and -as mentioned- my "evidence" is exactly the same as yours. We're guessing.

11 hours ago, DarcShriek.5829 said:

My "guess" is based on past behavior by Anet.  What is your guess based on?

What past behavior?

• Thanks 1

• 2 weeks later...
On 11/30/2023 at 6:18 AM, Sobx.1758 said:

Exactly -and I said "probably". Since when do they need to "completely introduce a map" to open a portal? Gyala didn't need its last update to have means of entering it. So yeah, I'm confused about the angle of your previous post: what you described isn't how it worked before either and -as mentioned- my "evidence" is exactly the same as yours. We're guessing.

What past behavior?

Literally every other map can be accessed (without involving the Gem store) through something besides repeating stories/wping. Living World Maps let you buy a portal scroll. Previous expansions have Guild Halls.

• LwS3 has Portal Scrolls
  • PoF has a lounge Pass (Elon Lily), and a Guild Hall
  • LWS4 has portal Scrolls
  • EOD has; a lounge pass (Thousand Seas) and a Guild Hall. Plus once you complete the story the first time you get a portal scroll, AND a asura gate to lion's arch.
  • SOTO currently makes you play the story once then you get Asura gate from it. And there is an optional collection for a portal scroll.

Even compared to other multi-release maps like Drizzlewood or Bjora Inner Nayos is weird, because you don't get instant access on every character for just doing the associated story.  But you also don't get a full map completion reward. Its just some karma vs the general map completion bundle of some currency/mats, an exotic armor piece, and an transmutation charge/black lion key. 

• Like 1
  • Confused 2
  • Sad 1

15 minutes ago, Neathra.1950 said:

Literally every other map can be accessed (without involving the Gem store) through something besides repeating stories/wping.

I know and literally nothing I wrote goes against that. Go read the comment chain (or even just the post you quoted above) you're trying to get into here because you're not responding to what I wrote or what the person I quoted did. It's like you completely missed the point of the multiple previous posts.

15 minutes ago, Neathra.1950 said:

But you also don't get a full map completion reward. Its just some karma vs the general map completion bundle of some currency/mats, an exotic armor piece, and an transmutation charge/black lion key. 

I know -but again, I don't get what you're even responding to with this? How is this relevant to anything in the previous posts?

Edited by Sobx.1758
  • Like 1
  • Haha 1
  • Confused 1

My guess would be that there's some issue with dropping tele scrolls while there are still unreleased parts of the map.

Either spoilers, or some mechanical thing that might cause weird behavior due to unreleased content?

If it's something like that, I'd suspect withholding due to spoilers over any technical issue.

All of it is pure speculation, of course.

• Confused 1
  • Sad 1

TBH I don't see any reason to bring alts to the new map until the 2nd half is released and you actually get rewards for map completion.  I was figuring when that happens there will be an easier way to get there.  Until then I can do everything I need to do there on my main.

On 12/12/2023 at 1:44 PM, Sobx.1758 said:

I know -but again, I don't get what you're even responding to with this? How is this relevant to anything in the previous posts?

OK I see what happened. I had just skimmed most of your and DarcShriek's conversation.  So I did two things: I accidently swapped your positions, and mistook the argument for being about having portals in general  instead of whether the inner Nayos portal would become usable before or after a character finishes the story. (For the record, I agree. It will probably unlock account wide after a single character completes the full story.)

• Haha 1

• 2 weeks later...

No, thats how storys and mmorpgs are supposed to work.. You should do the new content on your main, and not on a brand new char, just cause this is flavour of the month... Has a reason why map completion is char based...

If there is new e-scooters available in the university, you can't just tell your brother or sister to go there and get those... YOU HAVE TO DO IT YOURSELF.

Pointless threat, hope this will never change. people should be rewarded for playing their Main, and not flavour of the month re-roll to the new top dps spec. The fact that the teleport scrolls exist, is already way to cheesy. If someone decides to re-roll their main to another class for whatever reason, they should think twice or trice about that, and should be willing to do the complete story again... If they don't have the passion and emotions that come together playing their character, they probably will not stick with it longer any-ways.

Playing a Role Play Game, where your character is like a relationship.. you don't swap your relation-ship that easy... It cost time, emotions, memories and effort.

Edited by WaifuJanna.9108
spelling,grammar
  • Confused 3

1 hour ago, WaifuJanna.9108 said:

No, thats how storys and mmorpgs are supposed to work.. You should do the new content on your main, and not on a brand new char, just cause this is flavour of the month... Has a reason why map completion is char based...

If there is new e-scooters available in the university, you can't just tell your brother or sister to go there and get those... YOU HAVE TO DO IT YOURSELF.

Pointless threat, hope this will never change. people should be rewarded for playing their Main, and not flavour of the month re-roll to the new top dps spec. The fact that the teleport scrolls exist, is already way to cheesy. If someone decides to re-roll their main to another class for whatever reason, they should think twice or trice about that, and should be willing to do the complete story again... If they don't have the passion and emotions that come together playing their character, they probably will not stick with it longer any-ways.

Playing a Role Play Game, where your character is like a relationship.. you don't swap your relation-ship that easy... It cost time, emotions, memories and effort.

You forgot about the existence of LWS3, LWS4, IBS, Arborstone and the Tower portal scrolls that allow you to get characters to areas without doing the story, from anywhere. 

On top of that both Amnytas and Skywatch have their portal in the Tower and the under construction gate is most likely going to be to the new map. If nothing changes then soon there will be a way to get to the new map without doing story, that is what you're hoping for actually.