Are we really comfortable paying for unfinished expansions?

Tanuki.4603

3 minutes ago, Incurve Giidis.7829 said:

how did you people even forgive and forget mountgate lmao

wp with a maxed account convinced you its a cute little long term goal to spend gold on and vote with your wallet haha there are so many things completely and utterly kittened for the game and they will do nothing unless a person with any value and reach like preach comes and is exposed to it and covers it

I was against mount gate because they did not give any other pick your mount option besides rng when it first came out. They quickly released a pick your mount option for it which is what most were asking for, so yes, I did forgive them for that because they fixed it in the end. Overall, I am not that mad at them even more because that is a waste of time and energy. I have more important things in my life to worry about. So, if you don't like something, then just don't buy it. It is that simple of a concept. And if people buy into something you dislike and it becomes popular, then I say oh well. It stinks to be you, but that is how life goes. No point complaining about stuff you can't change.

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1
  • Confused 1

10 hours ago, Ashen.2907 said:

Fixed that for you. One person doesn't get to decide that for someone else.

It's not really a decision. 

The value of £20 is set by the economy, not to a individual player.

Thats just facts. 

Guild wars 2 budget, is based on the money it makes. You cant decide the value of £20 as a person. Its not a opinon. Its pure economics. 

Your looking at what £20 buys you in 2023. Lol. And you can swing around ur self-made weight of ylur £20 investment. But it dont change the fact that your lying to yourself. 

Soto is about 1 hours work worth in wages for me, over a year any other form of entertainment would cost me more. Any other mmorpg would have cost me more money. 

Gw2 is a budget game. And for that it comes at budget content, you traded quality for price. Just like any other budget purchase. 

Your self imposed "worth" doesn't fund anets budget, it doesn't fuel anets costs, it doesn't change Ncsofts mind. The budget for gw2 is based on the money it makes. And if you consider that lacking. That's because gw2 doesn't have enough money lol.

What £20 is worth in today economy im afraid is already set. You can try say "overpriced" but it's just factually not. 

This concept of "well anet is milking us, blahblah" is ridiculous. Anet aren't intending to murder their only game on the market lol. They're doing what they can with the budget set, but their hands are tied. They cant input more money then they make, 

Edited by Puck.3697
  • Like 2
  • Confused 1

1 hour ago, Puck.3697 said:

This concept of "well anet is milking us, blahblah" is ridiculous. Anet aren't intending to murder their only game on the market lol. They're doing what they can with the budget set, but their hands are tied. They cant input more money then they make, 

I see you're still in denial.

Anet is working on an unreal engine 5 game, rumored to be a new MMO. Obviously most of the staff is working on that. Yes we are getting milked with a skeleton crew to fund what might one day replace GW2 as their only title.

"Anet isn't going to kill their only game on the market"? Please, they already did just that with GW1. Why wouldn't they do that again?

• Like 4
  • Thanks 1
  • Haha 1
  • Confused 4

On 11/14/2023 at 10:25 PM, Tuna Bandit.3786 said:

25 for a year worth of content comes down to 2.08 a month. 

Plus this game as no subscription

ANY comparising with WoW (where you have to pay monthly on TOP of that expansion) goes broke REALLY fast

I've read so many comments like this I'm starting to think you guys don't understand the business model. Microtransactions is where the money is, and GW2's extremely heavily monetized.

Expansions are meant to keep players engaged, and engaged players buy store items. The problem with the current model is that expansions are no more, so player engagement will continue to drop. We're getting charged for living story but this small extra price tag won't make up for the fading player interest. They're just trying to make a few extra bucks as the game slowly withers away.

Edited by Morvran.8265
  • Like 3
  • Confused 4

50 minutes ago, Morvran.8265 said:

Anet is working on an unreal engine 5 game, rumored to be a new MMO.

The one that got axed at the first or second round of layoffs?

Reminder: every time AN tried to work on new projects, at some point NCSoft came in, axed that new project and told them to continue doing GW2.....

Also aren't you confusing dev studios here? Because I am very well dang sure I saw exact same claim on ESO forums. (UE5, new rumoured MMO, totally has only skeleton staff working on the current one...)

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Puck.3697 said:

It's not really a decision. 
The value of £20 is set by the economy, not to a individual player.
Thats just facts. 
Guild wars 2 budget, is based on the money it makes. You cant decide the value of £20 as a person. Its not a opinon. Its pure economics.

The purchase price of the game is determined by Anet/NCSoft, which is Anet/NCsoft's decision.

Whether the purchase price is worth buying the game is the individual decision of each player.

One should not mix the two in the discussion.

4 minutes ago, Lord Trejgon.2809 said:

No, a different/new "unannounced" game for which they searched and hired Unreal devs again after the layoffs.

8 minutes ago, Lord Trejgon.2809 said:

Reminder: every time AN tried to work on new projects, at some point NCSoft came in, axed that new project and told them to continue doing GW2.....

Perhaps. On the other hand, NCSoft mentioned in an analyst call a few months/quarters ago that they wanted to (and do) use Anet's know-how for other projects/IPs. Whatever that means.

From a studio's perspective, it makes sense not to depend on just one product.

2 hours ago, Lord Trejgon.2809 said:

No, the one they were hiring for well after the studio reorganization and layoffs.

Well, that would be even worse. Because it would mean they're cannibalizing GW2 for no return at all. Also, remember, that the prvious time they did that it resulted in overall lower resources left for GW2 - the game never truly recovered from IBS layoffs.

Also aren't you confusing dev studios here? Because I am very well dang sure I saw exact same claim on ESO forums. (UE5, new rumoured MMO, totally has only skeleton staff working on the current one...)

Nah, the hiring for devs with unreal engine experience for a new project were on Anet's page. Hint: they are currently looking for several positions for "unannounced projects".  The requirements listed for VFX artists positions are experience with Unreal Engine (and specifically Niagara VFX). The requirement for Senior Director is experience in MMORPGs, but also working with console partners, and releases on both console and pc. They are also looking for Senior Unreal Gameplay Engineer (although the requirement is experience not in UE5, but with UE4).

All that leads to several conclusions:

1. they are working on a new project.

2. It is a MMORPG project for a PC and console.

3. It is based on Unreal Engine (although not necessarily UE5)

And as for skeleton staff... well, apparently they have now far more employees than they had during ls3 era (when they were able to work on LS3 and PoF at the same time, and were already starting to work on some side projects on top of it), but have a much smaller production capacity left for GW2 (for example, as they themselves mentioned they are unable to work on 2 major projects concurrently and thus cannot work on both expansion and LS).

Make your own conclusions from that.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1
  • Confused 2

Honestly I think that delaying the weapons for the second post-release patch was a mistake.

Running around the new maps with a new weapon might actually make the experience distinct. For me, exploring the expansion zones felt very rote. The expansion was, from where I sit, basically two new zones and a new mastery track... Basically two living story episodes.

I don't think I feel great about this model for expansions.

• Like 2

4 hours ago, Morvran.8265 said:

I've read so many comments like this I'm starting to think you guys don't understand the business model. Microtransactions is where the money is, and GW2's extremely heavily monetized

Lol, this game don't make 14mil a quarter because the majority actually buy gems im afraid. Lol. 

It's too easy to get the gold to swap into gems bother buying gems. 

It's heavily monetized, by stuff with no Incentive to purchase lmao. 

WoW makes more money then gw2 does In micro transactions easily and even at the same population jt would. 

Because buying gold in WoW transfers into raw power increase. Where gw2 u get a cosmetic ur gonna get bored of Lol. 

I'm sorry, but its not heavily monetized. Because buying gems still leaves u equal to everyone who doesn't buy gems regardless. 

Have you heard of whales?. 

Anet don't have any, I'm afraid. Thats just factual 

WoW has whales. This is because gold, can be used to buy boosts through hard content to gear, now when you have a herd of people flopping 4-5k on every patch to buy boosts, it generates large income. 

Anet has nothing to sell, once you have cosmetically done ur character, ur done. You dont need to spend a dime. This means most will delve into simply turning gold into gems to buy thejr cosmetics. Because there's no urgency. 

I'm sorry, but there's a reason why 99% of f2p games are pay 2 win. And irs because if ur model is to feed on whales addiction, you gonna have to sell direct power. Because ther only interest is to buy their way to being better then you. Lol 

Guild wars 2, is low box cost 0 sub fees with a completely optional store. With a gold to gem option that's very managable. Jt isn't the recipie to a high monetized game. 

Edited by Puck.3697
  • Confused 3

17 minutes ago, Puck.3697 said:

It's too easy to get the gold to swap into gems bother buying gems. 

https://wiki.guildwars2.com/wiki/Currency_Exchange

The exchange has a supply of both Gems and Gold. When you trade to the exchange you influence the supply of each. The exchange rate is relative to current supply of each. The price changes geometrically as one pool empties creating a better exchange rate for the low supplied currency. The supplies are contained entirely within the exchange.[1]

At the time of the writing of the reddit post JohnSmith was AN employee.

It is "too easy" to convert gold to gems, only because of people who buy gems with irl money, and then sell it for gold. Otherwise conversion rates would be drastically different (if even possible to perform).

You keep pulling gold-to-gem argument as to why AN is not earning money on gem store, while consistently ignoring the fact, that gems you are buying for gold, were paid off by someone else with irl cash.

16 minutes ago, Puck.3697 said:

Anet don't have any, I'm afraid. Thats just factual

Nah, that is just you making things up. No correlation to facts.

Edited by Lord Trejgon.2809
  • Like 3

5 hours ago, Morvran.8265 said:

Anet is working on an unreal engine 5 game, rumored to be a new MMO. Obviously most of the staff is working on that. Yes we are getting milked with a skeleton crew to fund what might one day replace GW2 as their only title.

"Anet isn't going to kill their only game on the market"? Please, they already did just that with GW1. Why wouldn't they do that again?

GW1 development ended for GW2. They didn't just kill it, then again, it is still playable and the last update to the game was in 2020.. GW2 is currently making way too much money for them to just drop it.

49 minutes ago, Ashantara.8731 said:

Yeah, depends on one's definition of "Expansion Update". This was hardly one I would consider a worthy quarterly update. The best part about it what the selectable Character Selection Screen themes.

I don't see it the way that you do. I'm looking to see if the $25 I spent is worth the four updates. That is, if you add everything up when it's done, is it worth $25 of my money.  To me it's ALREADY worth $25 and I haven't even gotten the new weapons yet, just the extra weapons from the other elite specs. Just the fact that I can jump on a skyscale while in combat was worth it to me, and the fireballs and the ability to ride leylines and updrafts are cool as hell too. These all make it worth it.  I got a couple of metas out of it, and I really do like convergences.  And I like some of the armor sets we got, some of the weapon skins, and the story more generally. I like one of the two strikes quite a lot and we had some fun beating the challenge mode strike, so yeah, is that worth me paying less than 2 months of a sub game?  Not even a question.

The wizards vault update though is the one that has given me the most bang for my buck.

• Thanks 1
  • Confused 2

2 hours ago, Vayne.8563 said:

I don't see it the way that you do. I'm looking to see if the $25 I spent is worth the four updates. That is, if you add everything up when it's done, is it worth $25 of my money.  To me it's ALREADY worth $25 and I haven't even gotten the new weapons yet, just the extra weapons from the other elite specs. Just the fact that I can jump on a skyscale while in combat was worth it to me, and the fireballs and the ability to ride leylines and updrafts are cool as hell too. These all make it worth it.  I got a couple of metas out of it, and I really do like convergences.  And I like some of the armor sets we got, some of the weapon skins, and the story more generally. I like one of the two strikes quite a lot and we had some fun beating the challenge mode strike, so yeah, is that worth me paying less than 2 months of a sub game?  Not even a question.

The wizards vault update though is the one that has given me the most bang for my buck.

I agree that the content they're delivering is well worth the price, but that isn't the only consideration.  In my opinion, SotO is disappointing not because it isn't worth the price but because the quality and quantity of content is less than I would like, regardless of the price.

I don't really see the value in arguing over the price.  If $25/year is too much for your wallet, then you shouldn't be playing video games in the first place.  For everyone else it's likely the quality and quantity of content that matters.  They aren't dissatisfied that they didn't get their $25 worth.  They're dissatisfied with receiving a quarterly update that delivers 1/3 of a map and 15 minutes of story and it's unlikely that paying less would have changed that, even if we could say "Well, it was worth 50 cents, wasn't it?"

• Thanks 2
  • Confused 1

On 11/11/2023 at 12:18 PM, Holmindeboks.3490 said:

If you scroll through all my reply’s about guildwars 2 then you know the truth. Someone once posted the earnings of guildwars 2 in a year and if was Billions. But they stick with a small team because thats more money for every person. They wont invest for more ppl to make content. They just think. Let the ppl who fill our wallets just wait for content. The overall guildwars 2 community is too lovely about the franchise. They dont want to hate on it. And just accept everything they do.

And one thing i said before is. The gem shop is the ‘real’ content because its fashion wars. That goes with hyped cat chairs. And clothing that shows skin. i mean. Look how often you get new content and how often the gem shop gets new skins. Anet is a business and they have go be smart with man power time wise. Resources. If they work on a raid then it cost months to make. They dont know if it will be a succes. And because of the horizontal progress the raid that costs a year to make will be cleared within a few days. Also the raid is a part of the Paid expansion and so have go be given away for free. 

while every gem store item they create they can get even more money from it. Mount 1600 = 20 euro. And so on. 

thats what i hate, the gemstore got so often nice items while i never had enough gold. That makes me felt that only ppl who buy gems can have fun in game. If you imagine how much meta’s you have to grind to make a bit of gold, thats crazy. Sure its better to craft a legendary and sell that, but thats also a huge grind. And gaming should be fun and not a farming simulator or second job. And the gold is gone within a few weeks. I once crafted kudzu, it got undercute 16 Times. So i lost my 5% fee and then accepted a nice bid. And then i tried some meta’s like. Tarir, silver wastes. Shatterer 2.0, pinata, treasure mushroom. But they never dropped the big gold reward. It feels like greed to me. That i have to buy expansion and even have to pay more because the actual loot does not drop but goes to the gem store. Meta chests are always full of junk.

as i said before. In wow the loot drops. Yes you have to pay to get access to the game. But all loot can drop. And there are thousands of nice transmog skins to drop. And fish up mini’s (pets) or even mounts. Open world bosses that drop mounts. Guildwars 2 is free to play (if bought the game) but open world nearly drops nothing. All nice skins go to the store. Even ONE mini or mount skin to fish up is too much asked. If there is a nice skin then its a grind for weeks to get bored of. They want you to stick in the game and see how many shinys come to the store. 

for the there is no difference between guildwars 2 and wow money. Wow money is always the same and yes skins are behind rng. But you can kill all bosses with all characters every week and skins are account wide now also. In guildwars 2 there is a chance you have to spend more on a few skins then the wow sub on its own. If gem store skins are time limited you can ignore it. Or you can use your wallet if you are poor. But if you ignore it. Some skins are only in the store once a year. 

also the real loot is super rare and so it will never drop. Making gold is hard. In wow its easy to make gold. And also wow is f2p if you farm some days because wow token. Yes the graphics are different. But i like both games graphics. 

guildwars 2 players want wvw content, pvp content, raids, new specs, new professions, new races. But you all get Nothing!! You can support their charity with your money. Thats all that counts. So the world thinks how nice this company is with give away money. Free and easy advertisement. They just add some exclusive mini aurene on it and the money comes. But the real content doesn’t. 

sure the support of this game is the best that exsist. 

Dont bother. The forums are infested with people who will defend anet blindly at any costs, plus they wont accept any other opinion than "gw2 is best mmo ever and you are wrong", especially when "wow" is mentioned in any shape or form as a comparison. Plus you are not wrong, and im enjoying my half a year break from the game which still continues just because how dissapointing SoTo was instanced content wise and how they cant fix some annoying bugs since a release..

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1
  • Haha 1
  • Confused 1

21 minutes ago, soul.9651 said:

Dont bother. The forums are infested with people who will defend anet blindly at any costs, plus they wont accept any other opinion than "gw2 is best mmo ever and you are wrong", especially when "wow" is mentioned in any shape or form as a comparison. Plus you are not wrong, and im enjoying my half a year break from the game which still continues just because how dissapointing SoTo was instanced content wise and how they cant fix some annoying bugs since a release..

People on the forums defend Anet and GW2.. but also hate on Anet and GW2, at the same time, depends who you ask.
Same with how one person is both defending Anet and being a doomer, the only difference is whether it's before or after a release. I'm saying the same stuff about Soto and now I'm defending Anet, while got called a doomer before Soto.

26 minutes ago, soul.9651 said:

You say that forums are infested with people who will whiteknight for AN, yet every time I look at the forums, I see way more people being overly toxic about anyone who dares to like anything about the game, so I'd say it's almost as if we were using two different forums all together.

6 hours ago, Astralporing.1957 said:

Nah, the hiring for devs with unreal engine experience for a new project were on Anet's page. Hint: they are currently looking for several positions for "unannounced projects".  The requirements listed for VFX artists positions are experience with Unreal Engine (and specifically Niagara VFX). The requirement for Senior Director is experience in MMORPGs, but also working with console partners, and releases on both console and pc. They are also looking for Senior Unreal Gameplay Engineer (although the requirement is experience not in UE5, but with UE4).

All that leads to several conclusions:

1. they are working on a new project.

2. It is a MMORPG project for a PC and console.

3. It is based on Unreal Engine (although not necessarily UE5)

I stand corrected on that part, admittedly I was not paying huge attention to job offers they have out currently. I guess doing UE5 MMO on the side is popular thing among MMO developers right now.

As for the amount of people working on GW2 vs people working on that unannounced project - we do not have data to properly objectively judge. The topic of working on LWS and expantions in paralel, this may be attributed to a number of factors, company restructuring, and the fact that for the big chunk of recent time thay had big chunk of engineering folks tied to very big projects, like migrating renderer, or world restructuring.

Do bear in mind I am not saying specifically that you are wrong on your assesment of less devs working on GW2 now than before those waves of layoffs, I am just pointing out there are more factors to take into consideration, and that in the end we cannot verify either way.

• Like 1

10 hours ago, Morvran.8265 said:

I'm not In denial they need a playerbase to want to play it lol. They're not gonna wreck em. 

But yeah I'd suspect this is the only way. 

They can't increase gw2s monetization. Because it will just cause uproar. A brand new game can however have a completely different monetization. 

So tbh, I can support the concept its prolly anets only way forward to push development of something new then to attempt to rectify mistakes in the current.

But that don't change the simple fact, GW2 isnt being abandoned. It just isn't generating enough money lol. That's just the simplicity of the situation. 

1 hour ago, soul.9651 said:

Dont bother. The forums are infested with people who will defend anet blindly at any costs, plus they wont accept any other opinion than "gw2 is best mmo ever and you are wrong", especially when "wow" is mentioned in any shape or form as a comparison. Plus you are not wrong, and im enjoying my half a year break from the game which still continues just because how dissapointing SoTo was instanced content wise and how they cant fix some annoying bugs since a release

Except saying that its worth the price set for it, isn't defending gw2? Lol. If anything its insulting it. 

£20 for a expansion in 2023 is budget level at best, its certainly not a triple A launch price that's for sure. 

That isnt saying we are happy with the content either. It's simply saying the game can only muster a value of £20 😂😂 

Everyones disappointed in SoTo. The fact its worth a £20 price tG doesn't say otherwise lmfao. I'd rather pay £80 for a full sized expansion in all honesty. I'd prefer gw2 to be successful enough to compete in the TRIPLE A market. 

But it can't. 

You guys have sat in gw2 for too long. And have accepted this cheap game concept to be fine. And thats the real issue here, if you want quality. You pay for quality. A £20 price tag game is scrapping the bottom of the barrel when it comes to options. 

We arent defending gw2, we are telling you £20 doesn't hold the value you assossiate with it. 

Edited by Puck.3697
  • Like 1

Gw2 Release Date - August 28, 2012
HoT - First Expansion - October 23, 2015
PoF - Second Expansion - September 22, 2017
EoD - Third Expansion - February 28, 2022
SoTO - Fourth Expansion - August 22, 2023

The team is smaller than originally. 
The time between expansions is getting smaller. 
The base price for the expansions have not changed, they have simply added more perks.

I joined Gw2 about a year after it was already released.  I enjoy everything about the game, I might grumble about the balance patches, but over all I enjoy the game.  I will try other games but I always come back to Guild Wars 2.  I enjoy the community and I enjoy the game.  Opinions about games is vast and people will always want more or to change the game or to control some part of the game to go as they choose, that is how want works.   I will be happy simply playing the game that they have developed, the heart they have put into this game.   If their new model is $25 a year for new content, I think I can swing that.

40 minutes ago, Puck.3697 said:

We arent defending gw2, we are telling you £20 doesn't hold the value you assossiate with it. 

I don't think you get the actual point behind people's complaints. The following post summarized it perfectly:

2 hours ago, AliamRationem.5172 said:

In my opinion, SotO is disappointing not because it isn't worth the price but because the quality and quantity of content is less than I would like, regardless of the price.

I don't really see the value in arguing over the price.  If $25/year is too much for your wallet, then you shouldn't be playing video games in the first place.  For everyone else it's likely the quality and quantity of content that matters.  They aren't dissatisfied that they didn't get their $25 worth.  They're dissatisfied with receiving a quarterly update that delivers 1/3 of a map and 15 minutes of story and it's unlikely that paying less would have changed that, even if we could say "Well, it was worth 50 cents, wasn't it?"

• Like 1
  • Thanks 2
  • Confused 3

1 hour ago, Ashantara.8731 said:

I don't think you get the actual point behind people's complaints. The following post summarized it perfectly:

My point doesn't disagree with him. 

My point is what he's stating won't happen while ur paying £20 a expansion its that simple. 

You cant spend £20 and expect a good expansion, I'd have rather spend £60 for a expansion base, and get a expansion the size of HoT with a team able to expand

Then pay £20 per mini yearly expansion. I want anet to produce a product they have so much faith in they will stick a Triple A game price tag on the product. And allow the product to show why its worth the input. 

The only difference is. 

I mention words gw2 players don't like. 

To get the improvements demanded, ur going to have to spend more money. 

£20 of content is dissapointing lol, that's just factual nobody is going to seriously be impressed by £20 of content. Its like telling your kid to go into a toys r us with £20 to spend. 

Whatever they get was worth the money. But the £120 toy was cooler. So he by nature be less impressed by what he ended up with 

But thats the key here. Money talks. End of lol, anets budget won't enlarge without its prices following suit. 

We play a game with 0 p2w. 0 power skips and 0 enforced incenvtivization. The box price has to go up. Lol

Here's the fact. 

Everything either has to increase in price, or decrease in size, look at chocolate bars, look at McDonald's the list go on, they retained their prices by shrinking the product. 

The issue is gw2 is doing the same thing. Their shrinking the product to retain its pricing. And this doesn't work for a Game. 

Now it's your turn to decide. 

Do you want gw2 to retain its price, but reduce in size, or prices go up with inflation but size is retained. 

Edited by Puck.3697