They are selling hero points in the gem store now

There's just one question one needs to consider when deciding if something is "pay to win": "Does this thing give an advantage over other players who haven't bought this thing?" And ultimately, it doesn't.

If they started selling gear with stats better than ascended, then we'd have a real problem. The only negative impact I see here is that some of the HoT HPs (Mushroom Queen, Avatar of Balthazar) are rather difficult even in groups, and they'll be even more tricky to organize people for after this. But then again, you can just go WvW and unlock this stuff without doing it already.

Other than that little caveat, it's no different from Level 80 boosts.

• Like 4
  • Thanks 1
  • Confused 1

3 minutes ago, Treize.3578 said:

Can we just skip the Vista and POI packages in spring and summer and directly sell Gift of Exploration in the shop?

As long as it cost more gems than you get for 2000gold, idc. Buy the Gift of Exploration for 2k+ or buy the leggy for 2k as you like.

Edited by Dayra.7405

19 minutes ago, Manasa Devi.7958 said:

It's a convenience for people who don't play WvW and have loads of alts.

It is not, because you would have to pay a fortune to unlock all Hero Challenges this way. I can tell you that it takes hundreds of clicks in WvW, yet they are selling them in small bundles at the Gem Store. Doesn't even compare to the convenience offered through WvW unlocks.

Sorry, just realized the 1,000 Gems bundle includes 25, not 15. Oops! 😄 Still a bit pricy considering the total amount of existing Challenges and the randomizing factor.

I'd rather they removed them again from the Store, to be honest. This is just... not right.

Edited by Ashantara.8731
  • Like 1
  • Confused 2
  • Sad 1

1 minute ago, IAmNotMatthew.1058 said:

This NPC says hi. Has been a thing for a really long time, except now you can waste 50 gems on it, which takes longer to get than 10 Heroics. Same idea as WP unlock or lvl80 boost, but closer to repair canisters in terms of "why would anyone buy this?". Not even mentioning HP trains where in the time you'd farm the gold needed you'd get 10x as many..

It's more of a gem waster than a P2W item. 

Not everyone does PvP/WvW. That NPC doesn't mean much to those that don't engage in that content. And besides, that NPC sells things for in game currency that you earn. You worked for that currency and rewarded yourself for your work by buying HP unlocks.

It's a bit different than just opening your wallet and swiping to have your HPs done. No effort and faster to boot.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 2
  • Confused 5
  • Sad 1

59 minutes ago, SpyderArachnid.5619 said:

So now apparently you can buy an item that allows you to complete a hero challenge in any expansion.

I go to wvw and buy any hero points.

No real money involved.

No gems involved.

Just go to the dude and trade your reward track stuff for hero points of your choice.

Edited by Lucy.3728
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 2

Just now, Lucy.3728 said:

You think it is a rip-off since they can trade them for free anyway?

I didn't say that at all.

You just mentioned how you bought hero points at the WvW vendor. I was just saying that, yeah, we already know you can do that. This topic is discussing how Anet just added them in the gem store to buy for real money and how people felt about it.

• Like 2
  • Confused 3

This is something that nobody cares about it if you buy it or not. Personally, for me - its a waste of money, but I can absolutely understand why there is a market for this. People will always complain about optional-expenses existing that they 100% do not need to engage with based on the fact that other people will engage with them...

I would not buy this but, what about some random player buying this should bother me? I simply dont care...

• Like 1
  • Thanks 6

1 minute ago, SpyderArachnid.5619 said:

Not everyone does PvP/WvW. That NPC doesn't mean much to those that don't engage in that content. And besides, that NPC sells things for in game currency that you earn. You worked for that currency and rewarded yourself for your work by buying HP unlocks.

It's a bit different than just opening your wallet and swiping to have your HPs done. No effort and faster to boot.

I mean, I can swipe and buy anything in the game. I can just buy Legendary weapons, which bypasses the need of making weapons, so, it's clearly an issue, right? I can buy lvl80 boosts to bypass having to level, there are even WP unlock packages in the game since a very long time, repair canisters still exist as well. 

There are people crying this is P2W and stuff like that, though, we all know that "P2W" has lost its meaning, or atleast people don't know that people being able to waste their money or something easily obtainable in game is the opposite of P2W. Extra specialization slots, skill slots or stronger than Ascended gear that is only obtainable through paying for them would be P2W. Having an option to buy 10HPs for gems on top of... you know.. HP TRAINS and Heroics is closer to Anet adding something to make some people waste their gems.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 2
  • Confused 1

Honestly, I'm not bothered by this. What comes next may be of concern, though. I won't buy the Lvl 80 boost, waypoint unlocks, or the HP unlocks, but don't begrudge new players that want to catch up quickly, or vets that just want to get a new toon going as quick as possible. Their gain isn't my loss.

• Like 5
  • Thanks 1

4 minutes ago, Cronospere.8143 said:

Lots of angry blablabla. But i still dont have a clue what OP is talking about... bypass hours of gameplay with money? What? 

There's a new item in the shop that will allow players to buy hero points. (It will randomly complete a hero point challenge in the world.)

In my opinion, if someone wants to spend money to skip gameplay, have at it. We've had this since day one with being able to buy legendaries for gold. I find hero points fun so I'll do 'em.

• Thanks 1

4 minutes ago, Cronospere.8143 said:

Lots of angry blablabla. But i still dont have a clue what OP is talking about... bypass hours of gameplay with money? What? 

Anet added an option to buy expansion Hero Points for 50 gems. Same as the Heroics Notary, but instead of 10 Heroics, it's 50 gems. Now our friend saw that and had the urge to make an over the top low effort bait by blowing things out of proportions.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 2

Just now, Kiki.9450 said:

There's a new item in the shop that will allow players to buy hero points. (It will randomly complete a hero point challenge in the world.)

In my opinion, if someone wants to spend money to skip gameplay, have at it. We've had this since day one with being able to buy legendaries for gold. I find hero points fun so I'll do 'em.

Hmm yeah i read this post before the other. Thanks Kiki. 

• Thanks 1

Anet stealthed buyable hero points in the bl. Now that we can buy hero points and teleports with real money, im waiting for pois and vistas 🙂, not that I want, im just waiting for it, along with paid wizard vault rewards, like battle passes do lmao... JUST WAIT, I can bet 1k gold here (I won't).

also anet I ain't paying for that, but im paying for cute plushie mount, if ya wanna sell me some CONTENT, im all for it, I will GLADLY pay, kittening hero point isn't content, and drives new players away, I got 2 friends into the game because of today's beta (they liked mesmer rifle) and when they pressed O, they insta quit, I even tried to convince then but yeah, no success. seasoned players know the impact isn't even that huge... but anyways ur buying even more progress than we already can, sorry o7

Edited by Assolador.3598
  • Confused 3

1 minute ago, IAmNotMatthew.1058 said:

I mean, I can swipe and buy anything in the game. I can just buy Legendary weapons, which bypasses the need of making weapons, so, it's clearly an issue, right? I can buy lvl80 boosts to bypass having to level, there are even WP unlock packages in the game since a very long time, repair canisters still exist as well. 

There are people crying this is P2W and stuff like that, though, we all know that "P2W" has lost its meaning, or atleast people don't know that people being able to waste their money or something easily obtainable in game is the opposite of P2W. Extra specialization slots, skill slots or stronger than Ascended gear that is only obtainable through paying for them would be P2W. Having an option to buy 10HPs for gems on top of... you know.. HP TRAINS and Heroics is closer to Anet adding something to make some people waste their gems.

I mean, you can't buy Ascended/Legendary armor, Ascended/Legendary accessories, rings, amulets, etc. Yeah you can buy Legendary weapons, gotta buy gold first, so not directly buying the weapons. 80 boost sure, if you want exotic celestial gear. Doesn't give you the elite specs and it auto picks your weapons and gear for you without any choice. So while there is some stuff you can just buy with real money, you can't buy everything.

But I agree, that it isn't P2W. P2W means only being able to spend real money on something that would make you better/stronger than anyone else. This is definitely not it. It's pay to skip if anything. For me, it is just unsettling to see added to the gem store. Cause unlike waypoints, hero points actually require effort to earn. Wasn't a fan of the 80 boost either, but seems all games need to have those for some reason lol.

• Thanks 1
  • Confused 4