An idea on how to reduce the effectiveness of boon ball

ShadowStep.3640

Give every player 1 skill and let them hit each other until one person dies, (press 1 run)* Repeat *
This should be the most balance since everyone here doesn't want to learn how to play WvW, instead they justify crying about it and getting everything nerf will fix their problem, but in actuality, when Anet nerf something, other things will surface, they will still come back here to cry about it because they don't want to learn the game.

• Like 1
  • Confused 3

1 hour ago, Caffynated.5713 said:

Quickest way to nerf boon balls is for boons and healing to not prioritize group/raid members. If boons go to the nearest allies instead of group members, then members around the edge of the swarm will get nothing and end up being picked off without stability. The boon ball will get whittled down and eventually just be a couple of supports standing there picking each other's noses while trying to crawl inside the tag's backdoor. 

Organized groups that stay tighter with each other than with the commander tag will still be able to benefit, but it will necessarily split the ball up and force more tactical gameplay. Small groups of players moving separately but working together.  

They can roll back this change when they eventually decide to make substantive nerfs to support and healing specs. 

Yes, in retrospect squads/parties, and the boon/healing priority system they enabled, are probably a top 3 cause of the slow downfall of wvw.  The gave advantages to the organized players that needed them the least, and hastened the hollowing out of server communities.

• Confused 2

• 2 weeks later...
On 12/5/2023 at 6:24 PM, SweetPotato.7456 said:

Give every player 1 skill and let them hit each other until one person dies, (press 1 run)* Repeat *
This should be the most balance since everyone here doesn't want to learn how to play WvW, instead they justify crying about it and getting everything nerf will fix their problem, but in actuality, when Anet nerf something, other things will surface, they will still come back here to cry about it because they don't want to learn the game.

Comments like this make me laugh. This guy would struggle heavily in League of Legends or Fortnite or pick your game which are all way "simpler". That's why he's here. In Guild Wars 2. Talking big. Because he can't talk big in those games.

But you are right. People don't want to learn and they simply don't play.

Almost like Arena Net should factor that into game design for their next online game.... so people actually play the game modes.

Edited by Leger.3724

Friends, I come today to announce a tragic secret of our wvw community. Fighters are a dying species, the leading cause of this is death by desert boredom and chat blocks. So last year Anet passed a Resolution, they now have full support in Protection from extinction by Anet's secret pvp department, codename Project Aegis. They hope they will be able to form a Resistance to their decline, and maybe gain enough Stability over time, for the Regeneration of their population.

Have a heart, they need all the help they can get, finding juicy defenseless guppy meals to survive with your multiline scout calls, while the wolves and hyena packs continue to bite at their heels. So clear the maps with as much Swiftness, Quickness, and Alacrity as you can muster when they get on, so they don't have to beg with their dirty feet pics, these poor wandering souls don't have a home to call their own, they are just passing by, don't Strip them of their last bit of dignity. Support them in bringing the Might and Fury onto the red dots, pump them full of Vigor in their mission to help crush their enemies, see them driven before you all, and hear the sad lamentations of their guppies as they wallow back into the mist.

🥴🍦

• Haha 3

13 hours ago, CafPow.1542 said:

Clouding good can counter boonball. Pick them from behind after 1 bunker lured their bomb out and slowly pick them one by one can work.

To the confused fren here, lemme show you a vid.

it‘s not like this is „the cure“ and ultimate guide against boonball but it shows that it can work out eventually.

Edited by CafPow.1542
  • Confused 3

8 hours ago, XenesisII.1540 said:

Friends, I come today to announce a tragic secret of our wvw community. Fighters are a dying species, the leading cause of this is death by desert boredom and chat blocks. So last year Anet passed a Resolution, they now have full support in Protection from extinction by Anet's secret pvp department, codename Project Aegis. They hope they will be able to form a Resistance to their decline, and maybe gain enough Stability over time, for the Regeneration of their population.

Have a heart, they need all the help they can get, finding juicy defenseless guppy meals to survive with your multiline scout calls, while the wolves and hyena packs continue to bite at their heels. So clear the maps with as much Swiftness, Quickness, and Alacrity as you can muster when they get on, so they don't have to beg with their dirty feet pics, these poor wandering souls don't have a home to call their own, they are just passing by, don't Strip them of their last bit of dignity. Support them in bringing the Might and Fury onto the red dots, pump them full of Vigor in their mission to help crush their enemies, see them driven before you all, and hear the sad lamentations of their guppies as they wallow back into the mist.

🥴🍦

lol. uhhu. I see what you did you my friend. lmao. I give you one egg and one lol.

16 hours ago, CafPow.1542 said:

Clouding good can counter boonball. Pick them from behind after 1 bunker lured their bomb out and slowly pick them one by one can work.

This is what Mag uses as do others that use the tactic to spread to attack a tighter knit formation when they are not running boon heavy builds to attack a tighter knit group.

Edited by TheGrimm.5624

3 hours ago, CafPow.1542 said:

To the confused fren here, lemme show you a vid.

it‘s not like this is „the cure“ and ultimate guide against boonball but it shows that it can work out eventually.

Been linked with Mag a number of times. They don't care about the borderlands. They stack EBG and ignore the BLs. That's their weakness since that means their link has to cover the other three while they wait in queue elsewhere for EBG. So that makes them strong in one map and lessened in the others. Especially if you don't follow rule #2  of attack the side that holds SMC and instead go with just double team the weakest link which just grants Mag with a T3 SMC. So in this case, your footage shows Mag tactics versus the linked server since this isn't cloud v cloud. If you are clouding a group that you think is Mag boonball outside of EBG, its the link server more than likely. I agree fight on but fight in EBG if you want to face Mag. Every time, maybe 6 or so, been linked with Mag you can expect to outnumbered in all 3 borderland maps while heavy queues in EBG which is what made the outnumbered buff changes all the worse since being linked with Mag means more BL pressure if you care about all maps and not just EBG.  So good hunting, but if you think that's all Mag on a borderland, I would question that personally.

How to reduce boonball effectiveness?

Change WvW from using "PvE gear" system to using "PvP amulets" system.

Simple and effective, it would even allow the devs to remove or introduce statsets at will when "needed".

• Cele stats run rampant in WvW? Remove cele amulet.
  • Dire stats run rampant in WvW? Remove Dire amulet... etc.
  • A stat set would be an interesting fit for WvW? Introduce new amulet without the need to run everywhere in PvE to get the materials for a new armor.

The ultimate WvW fix.

• Confused 1

2 hours ago, TheGrimm.5624 said:

Been linked with Mag a number of times. They don't care about the borderlands. They stack EBG and ignore the BLs. That's their weakness since that means their link has to cover the other three while they wait in queue elsewhere for EBG. So that makes them strong in one map and lessened in the others. Especially if you don't follow rule #2  of attack the side that holds SMC and instead go with just double team the weakest link which just grants Mag with a T3 SMC. So in this case, your footage shows Mag tactics versus the linked server since this isn't cloud v cloud. If you are clouding a group that you think is Mag boonball outside of EBG, its the link server more than likely. I agree fight on but fight in EBG if you want to face Mag. Every time, maybe 6 or so, been linked with Mag you can expect to outnumbered in all 3 borderland maps while heavy queues in EBG which is what made the outnumbered buff changes all the worse since being linked with Mag means more BL pressure if you care about all maps and not just EBG.  So good hunting, but if you think that's all Mag on a borderland, I would question that personally.

Yeah i don’t know, i don’t play against mag particularly. I just posted the video to show, one „can“ counter boonball. It doesn’t always work out well, sure. But it is possible in general.

i also tried this already and sometimes it works out, sometimes it doesn’t.

my point was just, that „boonball = unbeatable“ is untrue. Is it a good meta tho? Arguable.

• Confused 2

39 minutes ago, CafPow.1542 said:

Yeah i don’t know, i don’t play against mag particularly. I just posted the video to show, one „can“ counter boonball. It doesn’t always work out well, sure. But it is possible in general.

i also tried this already and sometimes it works out, sometimes it doesn’t.

my point was just, that „boonball = unbeatable“ is untrue. Is it a good meta tho? Arguable.

I just most of the time (if friends not around) bomb them singlehandedly, aiming to create a crack where either the cloud or the pugs that around can push on and start snowballing from there.

Of course it's a hit or miss, not 100% success rate but still a very high one, I mostly manage to create a crack and snowball in what I bomb, instant 2-5 downies can suddenly make ppl bloodthirsty and push 😂

Edited by DarkFlopy.8197

9 hours ago, Dadnir.5038 said:

How to reduce boonball effectiveness?

Change WvW from using "PvE gear" system to using "PvP amulets" system.

Simple and effective, it would even allow the devs to remove or introduce statsets at will when "needed".

• Cele stats run rampant in WvW? Remove cele amulet.
  • Dire stats run rampant in WvW? Remove Dire amulet... etc.
  • A stat set would be an interesting fit for WvW? Introduce new amulet without the need to run everywhere in PvE to get the materials for a new armor.

The ultimate WvW fix.

We have the amulet system, its called Leggo gear. So -1 on that idea. It would also remove all the variety that people can mix and match with now to fit whatever role/goal/target they are going for. Its one of the end game content for a reason.

• Confused 2

21 minutes ago, TheGrimm.5624 said:

We have the amulet system, its called Leggo gear. So -1 on that idea. It would also remove all the variety that people can mix and match with now to fit whatever role/goal/target they are going for. Its one of the end game content for a reason.

i am fairly certain the idea was mostly about giving anet a tool to restrict the stats used in WvW. for example to disable very defensive/supportive stat combinations.

for the overall topic i am curios tho whether all these threads about boonballs are mostly from NA players or also EU ones. as far as i know on most EU servers whenever there is a tag, they do try to run something like what is described as a boonball here. of course public tags often don't have quite the right setup and too many people in there who dont really know how their build works, but the attempt is there. its essentially the regular way to play in a larger group here and the success depends on how many people know what they are doing and how many are just being carried.

15 minutes ago, bq pd.2148 said:

i am fairly certain the idea was mostly about giving anet a tool to restrict the stats used in WvW. for example to disable very defensive/supportive stat combinations.

Oh I understood and not a fan of restricting build options in WvW, it's one of the various reasons we have fewer sPvP players now and wouldn't want restrictions to this end game content. Theory crafting and trying wacky combinations is a big bit of the fun in WvW. 

• Like 1

On 12/17/2023 at 8:58 AM, CafPow.1542 said:

It is a good counter, especially when not having to fight over a point against the clock. There might be some heartache watching a few groups faceplant that boon ball though. 

Killing one by one can pull focus aggro on you or will motivate them to clean up your group quick. You can feel the mad through the screen sometimes.

If you can shop around in that crowd a little you can see who's driving, then you can see who's doing what around them in their group make up. Take out the right Firebrand or something and some of those boon balls get shook like a top-heavy game of Jenga.

Sometimes that ball just has good players in it, and they'll let you cook waiting for the right time to pull you when it will be embarrassing. 

• Thanks 1

Two maps double teamed, no mechanics that work in favor of the underdog, but rather continue to empower the strongest ones. https://i.imgur.com/mmKUk8L.jpg

Two guilded boon balls double teaming ebg keep, actively avoiding each other.

Tell me again how boon balls have a positive impact on the game, rather than killing content.

Tell me how killing morale and running players off maps is good for content when the two blobs won't even face each other.

Tell me why after 10 years this company still thinks that two strongest vs the weakest, instead of two weakest vs the strongest, is suppose to be good in a 3 sided war.

The balance of combat, the balance of professions, the balance of populations, in this game, is a complete and utter joke. This company should be ashamed for their lack of development and proper balancing for one of the endgame modes. They've only turned it into a bully bag simulator.

Oh and relinks at the end of the week, get ready for another 4 weeks of mass transfers and bad matchups.

🤭🎄

Insert your laughing confused emotes -->

• Like 2
  • Sad 1

5 hours ago, bq pd.2148 said:

for the overall topic i am curios tho whether all these threads about boonballs are mostly from NA players or also EU ones. as far as i know on most EU servers whenever there is a tag, they do try to run something like what is described as a boonball here. of course public tags often don't have quite the right setup and too many people in there who dont really know how their build works, but the attempt is there. its essentially the regular way to play in a larger group here and the success depends on how many people know what they are doing and how many are just being carried.

I feel this too to a certain amount.

depends tho. Somebody tags up and it starts in an „organised roamer squad“. This is very common on my server. Eventually enough people join, (especially when the commi is known), and people start to swap specs and groups get organised. 
or you build up an organised grp from the beginning but then again: nobody is forced into something so sometimes you just lack a proper amount of hfbs or something…. Which is fine. I never would want somebody to play something he don’t want.

but i can only speak for drakkar rho.

16 hours ago, XenesisII.1540 said:

Two maps double teamed, no mechanics that work in favor of the underdog, but rather continue to empower the strongest ones. https://i.imgur.com/mmKUk8L.jpg

Two guilded boon balls double teaming ebg keep, actively avoiding each other.

Tell me again how boon balls have a positive impact on the game, rather than killing content.

Tell me how killing morale and running players off maps is good for content when the two blobs won't even face each other.

Tell me why after 10 years this company still thinks that two strongest vs the weakest, instead of two weakest vs the strongest, is suppose to be good in a 3 sided war.

The balance of combat, the balance of professions, the balance of populations, in this game, is a complete and utter joke. This company should be ashamed for their lack of development and proper balancing for one of the endgame modes. They've only turned it into a bully bag simulator.

Oh and relinks at the end of the week, get ready for another 4 weeks of mass transfers and bad matchups.

🤭🎄

Insert your laughing confused emotes -->

No laugh emote for the part in bold. It's wild to me when I see it going down like that. Sometimes one side is just trying to help another server take it to make it paper and scoop up any scraps on that corner of the map on their way out and come back for the easy cap in a few. I'm not saying players have to play a certain way, that's up to Anet to incentivize a full three way, like an accruing special item 3 Way Keep Fight or SMC bonus if all three sides are inside but only pays off if you capture or hold it or something. Something slightly more or different or even random than just the usual points and all maybe. It's bleak when you log in and see your side getting flexed on by both servers at your waypoint when you're already down and no bloodlust or anything.