Eternity worth it? (Updated with new questions)

Eternity is purely a cosmetic upgrade, it's got no benefits over another legendary greatsword so whether it's worth it depends entirely on how much you like it. If you think the skin and effects are twice as good as other greatswords then yes it's worth making 2 legendaries to get it. If not then probably not.

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

One thing to bear in mind is that since the armory was added, when you bind Eternity, you'll still have Twilight and Sunrise unlocked in armory to use separately, so you no longer have to sacrifice a sword to make it.  In fact, you'll gain a third sword (not that you can equip three at once).

If you already have both Twilight and Sunrise, the cost to upgrade to Eternity is so small that it's probably worth doing regardless, and you'll still be able to go back to the separate swords later if you prefer.

• Thanks 2

4 hours ago, Stitch.1794 said:

One thing to bear in mind is that since the armory was added, when you bind Eternity, you'll still have Twilight and Sunrise unlocked in armory to use separately, so you no longer have to sacrifice a sword to make it.  In fact, you'll gain a third sword (not that you can equip three at once).

If you already have both Twilight and Sunrise, the cost to upgrade to Eternity is so small that it's probably worth doing regardless, and you'll still be able to go back to the separate swords later if you prefer.

But if you add them to the armory, you can no longer use them in the mystic forge, right?

Edited by SoulGuardian.6203

I have Eternity. My first legendary crafted was Twilight when Guardain and not Rev was my main, and later ended crating Sunrise and melting both to get Eternity. At the time did mean to have a single legendary greatsword but three cool skins to use, but with the legendary wardrobe it turne it into having 3 legendary greatswors.

Albeit I still love Eternity and is my fav legendary skin in the game, if I had to re-start I would craft instead the Aurene greatsword and then unlock the Jormag skin, because for me is almost as cool, and I would save the resources of the second legendary into crafting a different weapon. Some players prefer Exordium due the morphing and Iwould conceed that albeit the animations are cool, the weapons itself seems plasticky and imported from a Barbie movie.

• Like 1

On 12/5/2023 at 9:53 AM, SoulGuardian.6203 said:

To start a legendary such as twilight, I need to buy the collection and recipe; right?

Also, is Eternity worth using two other Legendary Great Swords?

If you like the visuals of Sunrise and Twilight equally then it's basically both in one (it switches between them during the day/night), but with an extra shiny gem on the pommel and slightly different footfalls. That's it, if you think that is worth it, then it's worth it.

Functionally it is identical to any other legendary greatsword.

In terms of stats (as with all legendary weapons), it is identical to an Ascended greatsword.

• Thanks 1

Thank you all anyways, 

But after seeing how much it costs just to craft chapter: one, nightsword alone...

Well... I gave up. It really put me off.

I work 12 hours a day, with just the 1 day off. So I ain't got time for this.

I used 9.5 days of my hollydays and God knows when I'll get the remaining days off.

Wich raises another question:

How often does the wizard's vault legendary starter kit renews?

Read through wiki but found zero information on dates.

Edited by SoulGuardian.6203

• SoulGuardian.6203 changed the title to Eternity worth it? (Updated with new questions)

With that kind of schedule it probably is impractical to make a legendary.

But if you still like the idea of having one it's worth remembering that there's no time limit for finishing it. You won't lose any progress or be unable to continue if you don't do it quickly enough, so you could do little bits as and when it fits in with other things you're doing. For example select the Gift of Battle reward track so any time you play WvW or otherwise get reward track progress (sometimes there's potions that count for example) it will count towards it, or picking Mystic Clovers as Wizard's Vault rewards.

When I made Exordium it was either the quickest or the slowest legendary I made, depending on how you count it (in total I've made 5 weapons and a backpack, over 11 years). From the time I bought the first precursor recipe it took under 2 weeks, but I'd spent a couple of years before that slowly building up materials, not going out of my way to get them but holding onto things I knew would be useful if I did make it.

When I made Ad Infinitum I stopped for about 2 months in the middle of one of the collections because I was doing Wintersday and a new story release instead of Fractals, and had another month when I didn't log in, but each time I was able to pick up where I'd left off when I did feel like doing it again.

Edited by Danikat.8537
  • Like 2

55 minutes ago, SoulGuardian.6203 said:

Thank you all anyways, 

But after seeing how much it costs just to craft chapter: one, nightsword alone...

Well... I gave up. It really put me off.

I work 12 hours a day, with just the 1 day off. So I ain't got time for this.

I used 9.5 days of my hollydays and God knows when I'll get the remaining days off.

Wich raises another question:

How often does the wizard's vault legendary starter kit renews?

Read through wiki but found zero information on dates.

The Wizard vault resets roughly every 3 months. You can see the exact time remaining on the special objectives tab. When those reset, so does the store.

Since you have so little spare time, if you haven't already I would just work on getting full ascended gear so you are at least then able to play anything you want stat-wise and just consider making a legendary to be a long term goal after that. Making Eternity by yourself from scratch is by far the longest and most expensive Legendary weapon in the game, as it is the only one that actually requires you to make two Legendary weapons in order to craft it.

Since it is just visuals once you're in ascended gear (other than the stat swapping convenience, although there are ways to swap stats on ascended too, but it isn't free), check out the black lion weapon skins, even the expensive ones are cheap compared to a legendary and some of them look really nice.

• Thanks 1

Might be underestimating the amount of effort needed to obtain a legendary. Going by the stats on gw2e only 1% of players have their first legendary in the <500 Hours playtime. 10% have their first by ~1000 Hours.

If time is important to you, no legendary item, let alone 3, will be worth it to you.

Edited by Pinkeh.4207

On 12/5/2023 at 10:53 AM, SoulGuardian.6203 said:

To start a legendary such as twilight, I need to buy the collection and recipe; right?

If you want to craft it from scratch, you will need to talk to Hobbs in Lion's Arch for the recipes, Scholar Mossi (next to Hobbs) for part of the collection, and a Craftsman NPC of the crafting discipline required for the weapon.

On 12/5/2023 at 10:53 AM, SoulGuardian.6203 said:

Also, is Eternity worth using two other Legendary Great Swords?

As others already mentioned, only if you dig the skin and have the time. You no longer lose the other two greatswords when you craft Eternity, they will remain in your Legendary Armory.

Edited by Ashantara.8731
  • Thanks 1
  • Confused 2
  • Sad 1

A lil confused atm. 

If I put my twilight and sunrise in the mystic forge will I unlock the skins for them? (Not fussed about the legy just want the skins)

Was planning to craft both and mainly unlock the skins via mystic forge before making eternity and selling it.

I know if you account bound them then craft you can't sell eternity.

Edited by Nanoir.2315

54 minutes ago, Nanoir.2315 said:

A lil confused atm. 

If I put my twilight and sunrise in the mystic forge will I unlock the skins for them? (Not fussed about the legy just want the skins)

Was planning to craft both and mainly unlock the skins via mystic forge before making eternity and selling it.

unsure you wont get them in the armory even if you ger the skins.

1 hour ago, SoulGuardian.6203 said:

As far as I know, once you choose to unlock the skin, it will be added to your armory, so therefore will become account bound and you no longer be able to sell it.

I could be wrong though.

I always thought putting in weapons in the mystic forge unlock the skins whilst using them unless they changed it. 

Been literally doing wvw for ages and haven't touched anything else for a while until recently.

5 hours ago, Nanoir.2315 said:

A lil confused atm. 

Getting the Sunrise and Twilight skins without getting the legendary is no longer possible.

This was a quirk of the old system where binding both but then reforging them into Eternity made the later sellable again.

This is no longer possible since unlocking the skin now requires adding the legendary to the legendary armory. In return players get a Sunrise and/or Twilight token (which take the place of the legendary in the mystic forge Eternity step).

Meanwhile binding Eternity also unlocks Sunrise and Twilight, meaning players can either individually bind the 2 legendaries before, use the 2 tokens and craft Eternity OR immediately craft Eternity and bind it to unlock all 3 legendaries at once.

Edited by Cyninja.2954
  • Like 2

Would just like to update, I just crafted Eternity via mystic forge and then sold it.

The skins for Twilight and Sunrise are in my wardrobe so I guess you do get them.

On 12/14/2023 at 4:56 AM, Cyninja.2954 said:

Getting the Sunrise and Twilight skins without getting the legendary is no longer possible.