Wintersday is the Weakest

AishaFyre.4086

Out of all the holidays for rewards, minigames, looks, and some other things, and some years playing.  Wintersday has the weakest overall presentation and games.  I'd personally have to say overall its the weakest Festival.  Bell Choir is not my thing and even being a fan of Rhythm Games, Winter Wonderland feels like it needs an overhaul of some sort, Toypocalypse doesn't feel rewarding and after the tenth time its repetitive, I'm not a PvPer even if I like WvW so the snowball fight PvP I rarely ever join, I like the other events fine but there's just not much I like overall.  I love some of the rewards but honestly Wintersday is a big let down every year and this isn't an exception.  WIntersday feels like it needs something more to it.

Edited by AishaFyre.4086
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1
  • Haha 1
  • Confused 15

Don't play it then?

Not every festival is going to be to everyone liking.  My least favorite is probably super adventure box - it doesn't really connected to the GW2 world at all (and in fact, it isn't, as it is a virtual reality within the virtual reality).  But a lot of people like it - different people have different preferences.

I do think Toypocalypse is a bit long, but I feel that overall, the events within wintersday fall well into the theme.  Adding in some thing where you are fighting a bunch of monsters would feel a bit misplaced for this event.  The combat ones that do exist (defend the dolyak, toypaclypse, secret lair of the snowmen) feel pretty good in terms of theme.

• Like 5
  • Confused 1
  • Sad 1

1 minute ago, Solvar.7953 said:

Don't play it then?

Not every festival is going to be to everyone liking.  My least favorite is probably super adventure box - it doesn't really connected to the GW2 world at all (and in fact, it isn't, as it is a virtual reality within the virtual reality).  But a lot of people like it - different people have different preferences.

I do think Toypocalypse is a bit long, but I feel that overall, the events within wintersday fall well into the theme.  Adding in some thing where you are fighting a bunch of monsters would feel a bit misplaced for this event.  The combat ones that do exist (defend the dolyak, toypaclypse, secret lair of the snowmen) feel pretty good in terms of theme.

Yeah I'm not really a Crafter and more a Fighter, and yeah Toypocalypse feels a bit long to me as well, Tixx's Infinirarium was pretty cool, but doing that once it felt like a one time deal for me .  But I do agree there are things in Wintersday that do fit the theme dead on and feel great, I do like Winter Wonderland and now can do all the JPs effortlessly.  But it is true, after playing GW2 on and off for a few years,  I know which festivals I like.  Wintersday is definitely not for me because there's not much oriented around Combat which since I'm not a Crafter or have the patience for it, I miss out on some things in Wintersday.

• Confused 5

It's def the strongest for me. None of the others have as many activities I play, except maybe Halloween which is a close second. I'd love to see Toypocalypse get a harder version, but everything is else is so much fun - and like any festival, it's never about the rewards. It even has the only pvp activity I like doing

I think if we are going weakest, I'm not sure how Wintersday could ever be considered weaker than Lunar New Year. 

• Like 5
  • Thanks 3

46 minutes ago, Randulf.7614 said:

It's def the strongest for me. None of the others have as many activities I play, except maybe Halloween which is a close second. I'd love to see Toypocalypse get a harder version, but everything is else is so much fun - and like any festival, it's never about the rewards. It even has the only pvp activity I like doing

I think if we are going weakest, I'm not sure how Wintersday could ever be considered weaker than Lunar New Year. 

Yeah Lunar New Year is one I'm iffy on a bit, but I do like the Lunar New Year PvP more than the Wintersday.  But I will give props.  The new Sacred Solstice for gear is one thing from this year I did like a lot.  I love getting new skins.  I'd also love to see Toypocalypse get tougher too, rather than feeling like its going through the motions a lot like it does now.  But I'd like to see more things we can build into Emplacements than Snowmen, Ballista, Catapults, and walls.  Would be fun to see that updated and maybe Winter Wonderland with more than just the three courses.   It would be cool to see Winter Wonderland and Toypocalypse get more variety.

• Confused 3

Well, we learned important lesson today. Diffrent peooles have diffrent tastes, to each their own and the beauty is in the eye of the beholder... or something. ^^

My personal favourite of them all, is and always will be SAB. Wintersday is 2nd. Dragonsmash, Haloween, Lunar New Year and Zephtrites are at the bottom of the list for me. Like I do not hate them, but I do not find myself invested in them when they are around. With Wintersday I will always go and farm something for the time being and when SAB is around I basicly never leave it to normal Tyria. 

• Like 4

18 hours ago, AishaFyre.4086 said:

Out of all the holidays for rewards, minigames, looks, and some other things, and some years playing.  Wintersday has the weakest overall presentation and games.  I'd personally have to say overall its the weakest Festival.  Bell Choir is not my thing and even being a fan of Rhythm Games, Winter Wonderland feels like it needs an overhaul of some sort, Toypocalypse doesn't feel rewarding and after the tenth time its repetitive, I'm not a PvPer even if I like WvW so the snowball fight PvP I rarely ever join, I like the other events fine but there's just not much I like overall.  I love some of the rewards but honestly Wintersday is a big let down every year and this isn't an exception.  WIntersday feels like it needs something more to it.

Just because the activities presented are "not your thing", doesn't make that a general truth.

No other festival has me spending this much time on daily actitivities as Wintersday. It for sure is not the weakest -- more like the opposite. The only festival that beats it, simply because it is a whole different game of its own, is the Super Adventure Box festival.

Edited by Ashantara.8731
  • Like 2
  • Confused 1

7 minutes ago, Ashantara.8731 said:

Just because the activities presented are "not your thing", doesn't make that a general truth.

No other festival has me spending this much time on daily actitivities than Wintersday. It for sure is not the weakest -- more like the opposite. The only festival that beats it, simply because it is a whole different game of its own, is the Super Adventure Box festival.

Honestly the truth, especially since sometimes its difficult putting some thoughts into words.  I'd say the Halloween Festival and Super Adventure Box do it for me really well, and Wintersday might just be me burnt out on Christmas Events. 

• Haha 1

4 minutes ago, Sobx.1758 said:

Yeah, SAB comes second for me, but it's a close one.

Oh I know that. I saw You there in the lobby couple of times while unwinding near the fountain. ^^

Edit: no stalking or creeping. I just REALLY like spending my time on SAB. Xd

Edited by Biziut.3594
  • Like 1
  • Haha 1

4 hours ago, Biziut.3594 said:

Well, we learned important lesson today. Diffrent peooles have diffrent tastes, to each their own and the beauty is in the eye of the beholder... or something. ^^

My personal favourite of them all, is and always will be SAB. Wintersday is 2nd. Dragonsmash, Haloween, Lunar New Year and Zephtrites are at the bottom of the list for me. Like I do not hate them, but I do not find myself invested in them when they are around. With Wintersday I will always go and farm something for the time being and when SAB is around I basicly never leave it to normal Tyria. 

I'm actually looking forward to the next time SAB comes around.  Love Retro RPGs so its my favorite over WIntersday.  I mean its a festival that started out as an April Fools joke than became an actual Festival.

• Thanks 1

4 minutes ago, AishaFyre.4086 said:

I'm actually looking forward to the next time SAB comes around.  Love Retro RPGs so its my favorite over WIntersday.  I mean its a festival that started out as an April Fools joke than became an actual Festival.

My feelings exactly. This festival literally wakes up the child I once was. ^^

• Like 1

Just now, Teknomancer.4895 said:

Toypocalypse could definitely use some kind of adjustment. Ten rounds takes too long and is mind-numbingly repetitive; there's got to be some way to make it feel a little less like unfinished filler content.

That's definitely how it feels to me, and there's so little you can really do.

• Confused 1

I'll admit that I am not exactly a fan of most of the side activities in Wintersday, I just really like doing the JP and the Secret Lair of the Snowmen strike. Especially given the new content release schedule, I more or less ironically wish there was a Challenge Mode version of the strike. It has some nice mechanics and given its current tuning, it wouldn't be too difficult to create a more difficult version of the strike.

• Like 1

5 hours ago, Teknomancer.4895 said:

Toypocalypse could definitely use some kind of adjustment. Ten rounds takes too long and is mind-numbingly repetitive; there's got to be some way to make it feel a little less like unfinished filler content.

I think the big problem there is by the time you get to round 5-6 you're basically done. Unless you're playing with a group of lemurs jumpin on keyboards, you've build enough catapults, ballistas, and snowmen that it basically plays itself, and now you do....what for 4 more rounds besides just wait for Toxx?

I kind of agree with you, I feel it more this year than past years. I'm a bit bewildered as to what they're doing with Wintersday. It's been so many years without any additions except new weapons and minis — no new content whatsoever. Why? It's my favourite festival, and by a longshot, but I wish they would actually do something cool with it. Hallowe'en gets entire new bosses added etc, meanwhile Wintersday can't even get a new song in the Bell Choir game since it launched. Is it really that hard to add new songs? If they'd add one every year we'd have like 20 different songs by now and it would actually be bearable to get that annual achievement.

On 12/20/2023 at 11:32 AM, AishaFyre.4086 said:

Winter Wonderland needs an overhaul why?  It's arguably the best JP in the game.  Multiple difficulty levels.  Decent repeatable rewards.  Mechanics that force a fast pace.  Somewhat competitive with other players present and a leaderboard.  Quick respawn on failure.  Festive music and aesthetic.  I admit that I don't care for any of the other events and I just participate for achievements and skins, but I think Winter Wonderland is great and I wish they had something designed with a similar concept available on a permanent basis.

• Like 3

25 minutes ago, AliamRationem.5172 said:

Winter Wonderland needs an overhaul why?  It's arguably the best JP in the game.  Multiple difficulty levels.  Decent repeatable rewards.  Mechanics that force a fast pace.  Somewhat competitive with other players present and a leaderboard.  Quick respawn on failure.  Festive music and aesthetic.  I admit that I don't care for any of the other events and I just participate for achievements and skins, but I think Winter Wonderland is great and I wish they had something designed with a similar concept available on a permanent basis.

Honestly, I can't stand it personally because it feels like a PVP jumping puzzle. I already don't particularly like the jumping puzzles as I really don't feel the movement controls feel good enough to justify most of them, and I really don't enjoy PVP. The platforms being destroyed by anyone touching them makes the experience miserable for me. I tried for about half an hour before I got frustrated enough to quit, and I have no plans to go back.

30 minutes ago, naachan.7013 said:

Honestly, I can't stand it personally because it feels like a PVP jumping puzzle. I already don't particularly like the jumping puzzles as I really don't feel the movement controls feel good enough to justify most of them, and I really don't enjoy PVP. The platforms being destroyed by anyone touching them makes the experience miserable for me. I tried for about half an hour before I got frustrated enough to quit, and I have no plans to go back.

To each their own.  I love the competitive aspect of it and I think the controls feel great.  Once you get the hang of it you can just hold down the forward movement key through the entire snowflake segment.

1 hour ago, AliamRationem.5172 said:

As a retail worker the aesthetic is actually a con for me x3 I have gotten ok enough at it to do it mostly every day when it's available though. 

19 hours ago, Biziut.3594 said:

Oh I know that. I saw You there in the lobby couple of times while unwinding near the fountain. ^^

Edit: no stalking or creeping. I just REALLY like spending my time on SAB. Xd

No worries, I know I was spending there quite some time too 😄 

Edited by Sobx.1758
  • Like 1