Ascended Salvage Tool's Glory Shard price is preposterous.

Nabbut.7480

Seems you could let your wallet do the talking and go to a laurel merchant for the tool.  Leave the shard merchants to sit unhappily on their pile of unsold salvage tools while the laurel merchants make bank on volume, volume, volume.

Laurel merchants are pretty easy to find, too.  They're an ubiquitous chain.

• Like 2
  • Confused 1

1 hour ago, Nabbut.7480 said:

Yeah but what's the point of unreasonable pricing then? It's not a TP scam so no one gets to profit from it? Seems like an oversight to me.

Anet putting vendors in the game with unreasonable pricing is sadly nothing new. 

When the skirmish vendor got releases, everything was insanely overpriced and it got worse overtime. 

They probably though that memories of Battle would be like 2-3 copper each and not going to Ecto levels. Atleast that the only way you could made sense of the prices. 

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

22 hours ago, Nabbut.7480 said:

250 shards is almost 10 gold on TP.  Compare to 1 gold + 1 laurel.

25 shards should be the reasonable price.

That's what happens when the price is not adjusted to the value. The last time I had to buy Shards off TP for Guild upgrades and Gen 1 weapons they were like ~60 copper and that was almost exactly 2 years ago.

• Like 2

6 hours ago, DanAlcedo.3281 said:

Anet putting vendors in the game with unreasonable pricing is sadly nothing new. 

When the skirmish vendor got releases, everything was insanely overpriced and it got worse overtime. 

They probably though that memories of Battle would be like 2-3 copper each and not going to Ecto levels. Atleast that the only way you could made sense of the prices. 

Like the hilariously bad memories gobbler.

So many poorly hought out aspects of the ga e that could be brought into line with maintenance...but they never do. They never do...

• Like 2
  • Confused 3
  • Sad 1

19 minutes ago, LSD.4673 said:

So many poorly hought out aspects of the ga e that could be brought into line with maintenance...but they never do. They never do...

At the time, Wvw players were the poorest mofos in the game by far. Making it an even bigger slap to the face. 

250 memories of Battle for an exotic item. Imagine paying 250 Ectos for a freaking exotic. 😳

• Like 2
  • Haha 1

Be careful.  Anet may get rid of laurels and the laurel vendor all together.  Words like "consolidation" and "streamlining" come to mind. Reducing the number of currencies and "not overwhelming new players."

The wizard vault system alone could easily replace the laurel vendor.

There are so many popular player requests that can be twisted and used to justify removing laurels.

Or they may just remove certain items from the laurel vendor instead. Fix the cost difference by removing the better option. 

This is all just my cynical, unfounded, speculation of course.

Edited by Zebulous.2934
  • Like 2
  • Confused 5

14 hours ago, Zebulous.2934 said:

Be careful.  Anet may get rid of laurels and the laurel vendor all together.  Words like "consolidation" and "streamlining" come to mind. Reducing the number of currencies and "not overwhelming new players."

The wizard vault system alone could easily replace the laurel vendor.

There are so many popular player requests that can be twisted and used to justify removing laurels.

Or they may just remove certain items from the laurel vendor instead. Fix the cost difference by removing the better option. 

This is all just my cynical, unfounded, speculation of course.

It's even better when their claim of "streamlining" just brings along something altogether worse. Case in point: relics. Less choice, things you earned taken away from you, and another system made altogether redundant. 

• Like 2
  • Confused 3

15 hours ago, Zebulous.2934 said:

A legitimate caution, but you have to admit there are way too kitten many currencies in this game. I don't know whether it would be better to just thin them out and condense them into fewer currencies with broader use cases, or to plunk a Currency Exchange Officer at the BLT in major cities where you can exchange any currency for any other (based on a dynamically fluctuating exchange rate just like irl). The lesser option is currencies that can be double-clicked to become other (limited-use) currencies like you see in Cantha, which has always been weird to me.

I mean, they used to have a staff economist who would even make some public posts here and there about macro-level stuff like this. Not sure if he's still with them or not, but honestly I'd love to see quarterly updates from someone like that.

• Like 2

2 hours ago, Teknomancer.4895 said:

A legitimate caution, but you have to admit there are way too kitten many currencies in this game. I don't know whether it would be better to just thin them out and condense them into fewer currencies with broader use cases, or to plunk a Currency Exchange Officer at the BLT in major cities where you can exchange any currency for any other (based on a dynamically fluctuating exchange rate just like irl). The lesser option is currencies that can be double-clicked to become other (limited-use) currencies like you see in Cantha, which has always been weird to me.

I mean, they used to have a staff economist who would even make some public posts here and there about macro-level stuff like this. Not sure if he's still with them or not, but honestly I'd love to see quarterly updates from someone like that.

Great finaly get a use for my 99.5m karma.

• Haha 1

20 hours ago, Teknomancer.4895 said:

It's on their radar to start reducing currencies.

Yes, we have a long list of core game improvements we’d like to make, and this is one of many items on that list. A comprehensive update to currencies is a big undertaking, so we’re likely to do it in smaller chunks as time allows. For example, we took a step towards currency unification last year with the consolidation of dungeon currencies into Tales of Dungeon Delving. - Grouch

18 hours ago, Linken.6345 said:

Great finaly get a use for my 99.5m karma.

Hope you've been buying Wintersday gifts from the vendor every day at least. 🤭

On 12/28/2023 at 1:20 PM, LSD.4673 said:

The sink did its job.  You should be blaming the farmers who are too lazy to farm new supply, despite the massive uptick in price.  

On 12/30/2023 at 7:27 PM, starlinvf.1358 said:

The sink did its job.  You should be blaming the farmers who are too lazy to farm new supply, despite the massive uptick in price.  

That means the farmers are finding some other farm to be more profitable, more efficient, or more fun.

• Confused 1