Shocking and magnetic auras

andreiblue.8231

I think other classes should get at least 1 or 2 skills to them considering you cant get them from a combo like all other auras and only elementalist can give them. They would fit classes very well with scrapper and Im surprised it doesnt have access to them

• Confused 4

I think both auras (all of them) and the combo mechanic need a big rework.

Auras need to all have similar effects and be more "proactive" than "reactive". At the moment, they simply promote being struck by your foe which reward poor gameplay and a lack of mastery over the basics of the game (All the arguments against the retaliation boon that the devs eventually removed from the game are valid for auras).

We are somehow still missing a poison aura even thought we got plenty of poison fields.

I'm actually surprised that stealth/reveal have yet to be made into auras.

Warrior got a skill that's literally called Aura slicer. How come this skill don't interact with auras? Auras have absolutely 0 counter, why is it the case? Shouldn't spellbreaker's skills and traits destroy auras as much as they destroy boons (Yeah, I know, that wouldn't be much in itself)

• Like 3

5 hours ago, Dadnir.5038 said:

Auras need to all have similar effects and be more "proactive" than "reactive". At the moment, they simply promote being struck by your foe which reward poor gameplay and a lack of mastery over the basics of the game (All the arguments against the retaliation boon that the devs eventually removed from the game are valid for auras).

We are somehow still missing a poison aura even thought we got plenty of poison fields.

Warrior got a skill that's literally called Aura slicer. How come this skill don't interact with auras? Auras have absolutely 0 counter, why is it the case? Shouldn't spellbreaker's skills and traits destroy auras as much as they destroy boons (Yeah, I know, that wouldn't be much in itself)

I wanna ask a weird question: Do you actually care about combos?

I don't want to sound mean about it, but I literally never thought about combos for years. I never thought about them until EoD forced you to actually perform them for a renown heart and I actually had to learn how to perform them, and now with the Wizards Vault getting three combos is a common daily. Never thought about it, never tried it, didn't care. And then I learned how to combo, I do it for the dailies.....and I still don't care. I see absolutely no benefit to my gameplay experience by making combos. That's probably why you said they need a big rework and I'll agree with you on that but that's primarily because I see combos as being an absolutely pointless mechanic in the game. If they were to just remove combos entirely I doubt it would change a thing.

• Like 2
  • Confused 2

57 minutes ago, ShadowKatt.6740 said:

I don't want to sound mean about it, but I literally never thought about combos for years. I never thought about them until EoD forced you to actually perform them for a renown heart and I actually had to learn how to perform them, and now with the Wizards Vault getting three combos is a common daily. Never thought about it, never tried it, didn't care. And then I learned how to combo, I do it for the dailies.....and I still don't care. I see absolutely no benefit to my gameplay experience by making combos. That's probably why you said they need a big rework and I'll agree with you on that but that's primarily because I see combos as being an absolutely pointless mechanic in the game. If they were to just remove combos entirely I doubt it would change a thing.

In the vanilla game, they were the bread and butter of all contents, now they are what you're describing. That's exactly why I think they need a rework.

Edited by Dadnir.5038
  • Like 7

1 hour ago, ShadowKatt.6740 said:

Combos have been left behind and the impact on some of them is quite negligible. It's not that they're pointless, but they're niche and difficult to use in a lot of situations. You can get condi cleaning, healing, Aura applications, life steal and a lot of other effects with combos, which can be really good if you can coordinate them.

Now obviously some classes make use of them more than others, so buffing combos (at least to the level I've seen some people suggest)is another way to create overperforming builds, especially in competitive game modes, so if it's gonna get done they'd probably need to reduce combo field/finisher access as a whole.

17 hours ago, andreiblue.8231 said:

I think other classes should get at least 1 or 2 skills to them considering you cant get them from a combo like all other auras and only elementalist can give them. They would fit classes very well with scrapper and Im surprised it doesnt have access to them

Well, there's already a lot of CC and projectile hate in the game, the devs have been actively trying to circumnavigate this, giving these Auras to everyone doesn't help. Plus Auras promote passive gameplay, whilst the devs are also clearly trying to get rid of with the Relic effects being on skill activation and the last couple balance patches.

Edited by jason.1083
  • Haha 1

2 hours ago, ShadowKatt.6740 said:

[...] I see absolutely no benefit to my gameplay experience by making combos. [...] If they were to just remove combos entirely I doubt it would change a thing.

That was, for a while, because we play mesmer and don't rely much on it. Remember though ~3 months ago, when I said tying the main bonuses to chaos aura (which is largely tied to the staff, because there's never enough for the staff) was a bad idea? For us, chaos aura triggers Illusionary membrane's extra damages (even if it'll be nerfed to +7% ISO 10%) and opens the opportunity to generate some regen, in order to also trigger Chaotic persistence (which will also be nerfed on expertise, +150 ISO 250) without being limited to Metaphysical rejuvenation.

Knowing we can trigger that chaos aura on an ethereal field comboed into a blast or leap finisher makes that difference in performance. You already said you were playing only open world/story content so performance may not matter for you, but in instanced content it can make quite some difference: leaps into lightning fields are free CC, blasts into fire fields are 3 stacks of might for a base 20s around (100% boon duration doubles it), water fields allow access to extra regen or direct healing (especially blasts for healers), projectiles into dark fields are worth lifesteal to ease the strain on healers, blasts in smoke fields offer area stealth to cheese some mechanics/encounters.

Combos have been largely forgotten yet are still very worthwhile, not only for supports in providing boons but even for the ordinary damage dealer who only cares about having teh biggest deeps, 'cuz who cares 'bout mechanixx. Meanwhile, a gem like the Relic of karakosa really restore interest in them or even allow some profiles such as the qheal zerk, and yet that relic's being nerfed. Individually, it may not look like much; in group play, it's definitely worth interest to refine group efficiency!

19 hours ago, andreiblue.8231 said:

To reply to the topic though, shocking aura is a defensive tool providing a free CC. Scrapper can easily access lightning fields and use leap skills (hammer, sword, even mace regardless of current efficiency) for an easier access to an active CC; as for magnetic aura, the purpose is to reflect projectiles - something already accessible from the hammer and the shield, the latter capable of a block which stuns on a melee attack. It might sound good for the theme, but the functionalities are already there; cumulating them would be too much!

Edited by Mevelios.4809

10 hours ago, Dadnir.5038 said:

Huh?

i activate magnetic aura for the reflect before the ranger longbow-2s my pretty face.

i also activate the shocking aura before silly willbender / thieves jump on my pretty face from the other side of the camp.

i activate my frostaura for the 10% damage reduction before i get hit in my pretty face with an ability.

doesn‘t get more proactive than that…?

and what do you mean with „there is no counter“? If a mesmer puts down feedback, the proper counter is „not shooting at him“. The same applies for auras…?

bottomline: i respectfully disagree although i understand your point. 

3 hours ago, Dadnir.5038 said:

In the vanilla game, they were the bread and butter of all contents, now they are what you're describing. That's exactly why I think they need a rework

Here i agree tho. Combos should be more important again. I feel like outside of blasting water fields in wvw when the zerg is under pressure, combos are rarely a thing to consider.

but i don’t think it’s the combos that need a rework. It’s the boon-mechanic. No point in blasting firefields if everybody and their mom can maintain 25 mightstacks with one hand in their pants.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1
  • Haha 1
  • Confused 1

I kind of wish you could get them from fields the leap combo finnisher realty dose not seem comply though out i think it should be an self aura base off of the field you leap though (add shadow aura and poison aura as well as add in an earth field.)

• Like 1

I'd repeat the comments re: combos that it depends on your profession. The most important nowadays seem to be water and smoke fields - some builds get a lot of mileage out of water fields for healing, while smoke fields are a common source of stealth.

20 hours ago, Dadnir.5038 said:

Could be interesting. Auras are, if anything, more associated with spellcasters than boons are, and they're a common enough mechanic that it would make sense to have some countermeasures for them.

• Like 1

19 hours ago, jason.1083 said:

Now obviously some classes make use of them more than others, so buffing combos (at least to the level I've seen some people suggest)is another way to create overperforming builds, especially in competitive game modes, so if it's gonna get done they'd probably need to reduce combo field/finisher access as a whole.

If they do it right, they would increase access… the only reason some classes make more use of them than others is because of their comparative access to combos.

For example, Mesmers make very little use of combos because they have extremely limited access to combo fields and finishers. On my mesmer, I run Scepter/Shield Chronomancer, i can lay down Chaos fields no problem, but I don’t have any finishers on my normal setup… EoD created problems for me because of the numerous times I was required to damage a target with a combo since the only finishers I had easy access to were Leap finishers with staff… you can’t do damage with a leap finisher into chaos field.

23 hours ago, ShadowKatt.6740 said:

I love the idea of combo interactions, but I feel they're in a weird place where I'd like them to have more impact in solo play where your fields are limited but they feel just tacked on in group play where you're always standing in a field.

I don't know what to do about that.  Maybe split the effects to make them more significant when you combo your own fields?

Smoke, water and light are still very useful, especially the latter two with the relic. The others just fell off over time. As an example, might from fire is not needed when it's easy to hit the cap and more poison from poison field is not worth playing around, due to it's triggers to proc value ratio.

I won't complain about some rework, as long as it doesn't lead to "overcreep: field edition".

19 hours ago, draxynnic.3719 said:

I'd repeat the comments re: combos that it depends on your profession. The most important nowadays seem to be water and smoke fields - some builds get a lot of mileage out of water fields for healing, while smoke fields are a common source of stealth.

Could be interesting. Auras are, if anything, more associated with spellcasters than boons are, and they're a common enough mechanic that it would make sense to have some countermeasures for them.

Light fields are a pretty important reason why condition damage isn't very useful in wvw too.

3 hours ago, Gaiawolf.8261 said:

Light fields are a pretty important reason why condition damage isn't very useful in wvw too.

And they could be even better if there was better communication and understanding of the mechanic, there is in some instances but it's far from being the norm. Which is probably the reason some people want them buffed.

Edited by jason.1083

22 hours ago, Gaiawolf.8261 said:

Yeah, I was thinking of light fields, but wasn't so sure about how much they're deliberately used for combos, while I was about water and smoke.

32 minutes ago, draxynnic.3719 said:

Yeah, I was thinking of light fields, but wasn't so sure about how much they're deliberately used for combos, while I was about water and smoke.

I play FB in WVW. It's one of our main jobs to pump out and blast light fields, not to mention all the other finishers from the rest of the zerg that just happen by coincidence. So for support guardians, very deliberate. Everyone else, not so much, but they benefit from it more than they ever know! 😄

In smaller groups, it can still be impactful but requires more coordination. Definitely not as common. The combos also help reduce the need for direct cleanses, freeing up actions and slots for more stab and resistance.

I'm of the mindset that Ele should have some things to call their own.  I'm not sure what the benefit would be to proliferate shocking and magnetic aura to more and more players.  A long time ago, there was a rune set that could give you magnetic aura, and that feature was removed because of how overpowered it was.  

• Like 3

On 1/27/2024 at 10:13 AM, Dadnir.5038 said:

Aura slicer in gw1 was a condi skill that, in GW2 terms, inflicted bleeding and vuln if you had a Boon. 

I guess from the artwork, it was this anime thing were a swordsman slices someone with the "Aura" of the blade. 

35 minutes ago, DanAlcedo.3281 said:

Aura slicer in gw1 was a condi skill that, in GW2 terms, inflicted bleeding and vuln if you had a Boon. 

I guess from the artwork, it was this anime thing were a swordsman slices someone with the "Aura" of the blade. 

In GW1 "aura" would be considered either as boons or stances. Both could be forcibly removed.

On 1/28/2024 at 5:13 PM, Beddo.1907 said:

Smoke, water and light are still very useful, especially the latter two with the relic. The others just fell off over time. As an example, might from fire is not needed when it's easy to hit the cap

You are aware that a large portion of the perma-might people enjoy in group content actually does come from the never ending blasting of Fire combo fields right? If they changed fire fields to nolonger give mightwhen blasted I wouldn’t be surprised if we suddenly nolonger have perma-might on absolutely everyone anymore. Sure it’s easy to have a lot of might constantly on most builds, but only a handful of builds can actually maintain max might unaided and most sources of might on most builds is self only. There are a LOT of players and builds that do in fact rely heavily on fire combo fields for their might stacks, and as luck would have it, nearly every build that can make fire combo fields follows them up with a blast finisher almost immediately.

1 hour ago, Panda.1967 said:

You are aware that a large portion of the perma-might people enjoy in group content actually does come from the never ending blasting of Fire combo fields right? If they changed fire fields to nolonger give mightwhen blasted I wouldn’t be surprised if we suddenly nolonger have perma-might on absolutely everyone anymore. Sure it’s easy to have a lot of might constantly on most builds, but only a handful of builds can actually maintain max might unaided and most sources of might on most builds is self only. There are a LOT of players and builds that do in fact rely heavily on fire combo fields for their might stacks, and as luck would have it, nearly every build that can make fire combo fields follows them up with a blast finisher almost immediately.

1. By "group content" do you mean OW?
2. Where did I said to remove fire field might?
3. Can you show me three non ele, fire field dependent builds that are meta worthy?

12 minutes ago, Beddo.1907 said:

3. Can you show me three non ele, fire field dependent builds that are meta worthy?

Define "meta worthy". If that's effortless do-it-all builds, they're already listed and you likely know them; otherwise even from exclusively healer profiles, qheal scrapper needs fire fields to provide 25 might, aheal renegade needs fire fields to provide 25 might, qheal berserker needs fire fields to provide 25 might. Their common point being the reliance on blast finishers which for some are an absolute to provide decent healing (thinking of the berserker in particular here) while the Relic of karakosa is getting nerfed!

• Thanks 1