Just hide currencies in the wallet until a new player reaches the map that uses them

8 hours ago, Zebulous.2934 said:

Lol we were all new once.  Some of us left and came back.  Coming back was interesting.  Learning the wardrobe system was a journey. All of my pvp equipment turned into items that I couldn't wear.  Then I found out that the only skins I had unlocked were from the equipment currently in my possession.  I had to scour the TP for the cheapest versions of all my old equipment.  Town clothes had become tonics, the hats had become helmet skins.

It all took time for me to resolve but it felt like exploration.  

I think the wardrobe was confusing for everyone. It might have been slightly better when it first came out because I think there were a few announcements explaining how it worked but I remember spending a few evenings doing the exact same things you did. It was nice clearing out the storage character who was holding all the items with unique skins I wanted to keep, but it took a while to get used to it all. (It might have helped that I never understood the old PvP skins system, I'd unlocked some stuff, but didn't really know how, although I remember using the Mystic Forge in the old Heart of the Mists for a lot of it.)

13 hours ago, Setz.9675 said:

It would protect a NEW PLAYER from being overwhelmed.

Veterans that slowly experienced new currencies/content being added have no idea how a new player experiences this game.

Why would a NEW PLAYER be inundated with multiple zone currencies to the point that this needs to be addressed?

• Like 5
  • Confused 1

For info here's how the wallet looks on my free account. It's not strictly a new account (over 3 years old), but it is one I rarely play so the highest level character is level 12.

Inventory.png.d05c322b0e8e5f836dce2892171db1cb.png

I was confused at how I had Static Charges, Pinches of Stardust and Calcified Gasps without owning SotO, then I looked up where they came from on the Wiki and remembered I'd used free black lion keys when the SotO Material Bag was the guarenteed item. (The AA comes from when there was a bug which allowed accounts below level 80 to access the Wizard's Vault, it looks like that's been fixed now.)

Other than that (and the fact that AA doesn't have a name) I think it's pretty clear. The 8 currencies I've earned are distinct from the rest, and each one (except AA) tells me where it comes from when I hover over them. There is a bit of inconsistency in that some say where they're spent and others don't, but that wouldn't be fixed by hiding the ones I haven't earned. (Also for some reason Tales of Dungeon Delving are in red, where all the rest are white/grey, I assume that's because I'm too low level to get them, but then Fractal Relics and a bunch of other stuff should also be red.)

Edit:

Ok this is interesting, it looks like currencies for expansions I don't own (aka all of them) are hidden. Here's the map currencies:
Inventory2.png.b89560759a860ab7a151fc3b0150d74c.png

There are a lot more than that, like airship parts, aurillium, volatile and unbound magic etc. I assume the 3 SotO ones only show up because I got them from the black lion chests. It's the same with keys - I only see bandit and zephyrite keys, not all the expansion map specific ones. (I'm not sure why war supplies and Tyrian defense seals are on the list, this account does have IBS unlocked but it says I need PoF to play it.)

So the OP's suggestions is already sort-of in the game, but (like which dailies you get) the criteria for a currency to show is owning the relevant expansion (or earning it), not getting to the map where it's used.

Edited by Danikat.8537
New info
  • Like 1

On 2/13/2024 at 10:26 AM, Urud.4925 said:

Like when my operating system hides settings in sub-sub-sub menu because it assumes that I'm too stupid and risk to delete something important.

And, like with the operating system (although from the other side), the issue is not about something being hidden/shown. It's about there being no option to choose what you'd prefer more.

On 2/13/2024 at 11:28 AM, Cronospere.8143 said:

As a teacher to 13 to 17 year olds i see a fast decline in attitude in the last 10 years. The world is changing (and i dont think for the better). Kids are lazy, unmotivated and less curious about things that actually make them better. They feel like everything is given to them and the world shapes around them. (And it kind of does.. ). They have access to soo many information, but sadly dont know how to use it. They have a huge potential, they just have to take it. The kids that do take it, absolutely excel above the others. It's amazing to see. 

Edit: this is just an observation on my part and what i see. It doesnt mean that i as a teacher am not doing everything in my power to help them out. Because i am. 

It is a very good observation. It's one that has been made by adults representing pretty much every single generation since at least ancient rome (we do have recorded texts from those times that show pretty much the same conclusions you have just made). So, i guess there are things in the ever changing world that do remain constant.

Now, it's also 100% certain that at some point some adult was making the same observation about then-children of our generation. And, equally obviously, if all those observations were true, by now not just the teenagers you speak of, but even our generation would probably already have motivation, curiosity, culture, manners etc that could be quantified only by massively negative values (assuming negative curiosity and motivation can even be a thing)

And yet here we are.

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1
  • Confused 5

On 2/14/2024 at 11:33 PM, Setz.9675 said:

It would protect a NEW PLAYER from being overwhelmed.

Veterans that slowly experienced new currencies/content being added have no idea how a new player experiences this game.

I love how all these "but new players" threads pretty much paint a picture that new players are 5 year old kids suffering from ADHD, are addicted to gambling, and are willing to spend atleast 10k€ a month on microtransactions, but would be scared away by the total cost of expansions.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1
  • Confused 2
  • Sad 1

On 2/14/2024 at 10:45 PM, Sobx.1758 said:

I think the current...

"Airship Parts
Earned and spent in Verdant Brink. Train the Itzel Language Mastery ability to trade with Itzel vendors for bladed armor and other goods.
Currency"

...already provides enough information.

Nah, it requires mousing over the description. The information needs to be snappily available. When people open the Wallet they should be able to see instantly the short info of where it comes from. Then you can also have the mousing over information if people want to go into it.

• Confused 4
  • Sad 1

Just now, Malus.2184 said:

Nah, it requires mousing over the description. The information needs to be snappily available. When people open the Wallet they should be able to see instantly the short info of where it comes from. Then you can also have the mousing over information if people want to go into it.

Mousing over is "snappily available", it's fast and easy while not cluttering the ui. It's not an information you need constantly reminding yourself -but if you do, mousing over something isn't an issue at all.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 2
  • Sad 1

3 minutes ago, Sobx.1758 said:

Mousing over is "snappily available", it's fast and easy while not cluttering the ui. It's not an information you need constantly reminding yourself -but if you do, mousing over something isn't an issue at all.

Yes, and it requires you to know the information exists. All information is useless unless you know it exists. The same goes for all the QoL additions that have been added to the game over the last couple of years. When I see people trying the game on stream or in videos they often ask for things that already exist that are communicated horribly or completely lacking in information.

• Haha 1
  • Confused 3
  • Sad 1

1 minute ago, Malus.2184 said:

Yes, and it requires you to know the information exists. All information is useless unless you know it exists. The same goes for all the QoL additions that have been added to the game over the last couple of years. When I see people trying the game on stream or in videos they often ask for things that already exist that are communicated horribly or completely lacking in information.

Mousing over things is a basic computer usage skill. If that's something you think you need some special knowledge for, it sounds like you're not going to be able to play even slightly more complex games anyways. Hovering over a stat or currency to see what it does isn't an issue.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 2
  • Confused 1

Common wisdom of any sort is only common to the person speaking. Common wisdom is what you're expressing. You're furthermore using your own knowledge as the standard for what other people should know. This is hyperbolically, "Everyone who knows more than me is a no-lifer and anyone who knows less is a noob."

• Haha 1
  • Confused 5

2 hours ago, Malus.2184 said:

Common knowledge is only common to the person speaking. This is what you're expressing and you're setting your own level of knowledge as the standard for what other people should know.

Not really, if you're able to download, install, launch and play gw2, you're bound to be aware of the way cursors are used. Not sure why you're so set on inventing a problem here. And such a ridiculous one -like people not being aware of how to use mouse- at that.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 2
  • Confused 1

1 hour ago, Sobx.1758 said:

Not really, if you're able to download, install, launch and play gw2, you're bound to be aware of the way cursors are used. Not sure why you're so set on inventing a problem here. And such a ridiculous one -like people not being aware of how to use mouse- at that.

What information do you get from mousing over anything when you install GW2?

• Confused 4
  • Sad 1

1 hour ago, Malus.2184 said:

How are you installing, launching and playing a game without understanding how a cursor works?

The information about currencies is readily/snappily available, mousing over things is an obvious, basic element of using computers. You're actively trying to invent a problem that isn't there.

Edited by Sobx.1758
  • Like 2
  • Haha 1

32 minutes ago, Malus.2184 said:

What does installing GW2 have to do with this argument?  Once the game is installed, there are many things in the game that show more information when they are hovered over with the mouse pointer.

• Like 2

The point is this functionality is not unique to GW2, it's used by many, many programs (including Windows) so someone who is capable of installing and running the game will likely know that's one way to get additional information on something in a computer program.

More importantly the text comes up immediately so the only way to open the wallet and not see it is to avoid moving your cursor over any part of the window, except the scroll bar. Even if you do it by accident the first time you'll find out it gives you more info on each currency.

• Like 2

17 hours ago, Sobx.1758 said:

How are you installing, launching and playing a game without understanding how a cursor works?

The information about currencies is readily/snappily available, mousing over things is an obvious, basic element of using computers. You're actively trying to invent a problem that isn't there.

16 hours ago, kharmin.7683 said:

What does installing GW2 have to do with this argument?  Once the game is installed, there are many things in the game that show more information when they are hovered over with the mouse pointer.

16 hours ago, Danikat.8537 said:

The point is this functionality is not unique to GW2, it's used by many, many programs (including Windows) so someone who is capable of installing and running the game will likely know that's one way to get additional information on something in a computer program.

More importantly the text comes up immediately so the only way to open the wallet and not see it is to avoid moving your cursor over any part of the window, except the scroll bar. Even if you do it by accident the first time you'll find out it gives you more info on each currency.

Now you're all just moving the goalposts as "understanding how a cursor works" has nothing to do with knowing how to get additional information by mousing over information. The cursor in itself does nothing unless it's moved over an interactable object and interacted with.

• Like 1
  • Confused 4

Now you're all just moving the goalposts as "understanding how a cursor works"

Not moving anything, this is what I said since the start. Understanding how a cursor works is a basic computer skill and if you don't know how to use it, you won't be able to play -or even get- the game anyways.

On 2/19/2024 at 3:38 PM, Sobx.1758 said:

Mousing over things is a basic computer usage skill. If that's something you think you need some special knowledge for, it sounds like you're not going to be able to play even slightly more complex games anyways. Hovering over a stat or currency to see what it does isn't an issue.

• Like 1
  • Confused 1

It is a slight issue for people used to playing mobile games.  They aren't used to hovering tooltips because they have no cursor on that platform.  The worst is when a mobile game gets ported to PC they add a cursor but still require the player to open separate menu screens to learn about anything.

Tooltips are definitely better.  A mobile game would have us go to the bank interface to tell us about each currency.  Here we simply point at each currency in our wallet and wait a fraction of a second for a temporary pop-up.

The mobile gaming folks will just have to learn.

Edited by Zebulous.2934
  • Like 2
  • Haha 1

21 hours ago, SuavePuppy.2809 said:

What a monumental hurdle for someone on a PC in the year 2024 to overcome.

I've seen some wild non-issues being argued on the forum but this actually might take the cake.

You have to understand that when expecting the average level of performance you have to set the expectations low even though it sounds insulting.

22 hours ago, Sobx.1758 said:

Not moving anything, this is what I said since the start. Understanding how a cursor works is a basic computer skill and if you don't know how to use it, you won't be able to play -or even get- the game anyways.

That has nothing to do with the functionality of the mouse cursor. Getting additional information by mousing over something depends on how the interface works. I can easily find an interface with no added. If I mouse over an icon in my windows I only get the location of the executable. Getting the dropdown where there's some meaty stuff requires a right-click.

• Confused 2
  • Sad 1

18 minutes ago, Malus.2184 said:

That has nothing to do with the functionality of the mouse cursor.

It does, pointing at things of interest is the very basic of using the mouse/cursor/pointer. You're trying to invent an issue where there isn't one. The details in regards of currency are already in the game, some give more information than probably expected and they're extremely easly accessible to anyone in the game.

I can easily find an interface with no added.

The fact that you'd need to go look for it is saying enough. It's because you want it to be a problem, but it isn't.

If I mouse over an icon in my windows I only get the location of the executable.

It doesn't matter what you judge as being "only" here, it still shows details when hovering over it.

Getting the dropdown where there's some meaty stuff requires a right-click.

Ok, try left/rightclicking on the currency then and see what happens. Oh, is it the pop up that shows up "on hover" before you can even click on anything? Ok, cool.

Anyways, at this point it's not even believable you're serious about what you're typing out, so I'm prooobably done getting baited.

Edited by Sobx.1758
  • Thanks 2

28 minutes ago, Malus.2184 said:

You have to understand that when expecting the average level of performance you have to set the expectations low even though it sounds insulting.

Except... You probably can't play the game without this "skill" (mousing over thing)

Don't trust me?

Simple exemple : You got icon at the lower center of the screen, those make no sense without mousing over to show a tooltip explaining that it's a skill. Icons on left top, same problem, a player without this skill wouldn't even be able to open his inventory. About inventory, well, it's only fancy icon unless you mouse over it...

Stop creating non problem, that's ridiculous.

• Like 1