1 thing people always forget

Back when the game came out, everyone was terribly bad, there was less "button mashing" because most players where still playing with 1-0 hotkeys

Back at hot, players got far better, but we had a huge pvp players base compared to now, so you still got your matches at your elo

Keep in mind, back than dmg was way higher and CC's did dmg on top. Everything people complain in the forums today, still happened back than

• Like 1
  • Confused 4

1 shots weren't bad back then because we had more defensive amulets & runes and skills and traits for defense were better too as well as healing, so you didn't get 1 shotted and games were more fun back then when everyone got a chance to press their buttons compared to now were often times you leave base get stun locked and die in 1 second repeatedly. The way pvp is currently just drives off new players and I don't blame them, it's not new player friendly at all.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1
  • Haha 1

are you sure it has nothing to do with quickness, alacrity, permanent swiftness uptime, relic of speed, and teleport spam, all on full damage builds? there's only so much attack and movement speed creep that a game can handle, especially one without a global cooldown and with alot of instant cast skills.

on my elementalist for example, i can count like five skills i can cast all at the same time if i wanted to, and just blow someone up in 1-2sec. the only defense they have against it is to fly away like the flash, heal up and come back, which is just as bad. basically the entire game has come to revolve around rapid burst for damage, and rapid movement to avoid it, with no real sustained damage or defense anywhere, let alone tactical play.

there's still strategic play at least, but its also been heavily inflated by movement creep since rotations are now like driving around in a car. groups can move between locations so fast that they can 4v or 5vx the enemy team without losing anything since they just drive right back in time to prevent captures.

i never thought i'd see the day where blobbing from point to point is a viable strategy in pvp.

i recommend watching videos on youtube of pvp and wvw from about 2013; the game was at least half as slow as it is now. it was so slow in comparison that groups rarely managed to hit 500 points by a timeout, whereas now you're lucky if you get a 7-8 minute game that is even remotely even.

Edited by SoftFootpaws.9134
  • Like 3

Anet had a brief "E-sports craze" period back in the HoT era, but surely the post is not implying player skill has improved since then? IMO it's more like that player skill went stale after the "pro scene" failed to take off and now any semblance of pro play is long gone. We have veterans at best and several of them are serial wintraders anyway. The sustain creep with HoT was what started the power creep afterwards actually, it was common for matches to stall with several immortal Chronos competing for who would fall asleep first in uncapped points. Then several updates and PoF (followed by EoD as well) went all in on making PvP purposely faster and deadlier. Anet has specifically targeted support builds to prevent a bunker meta from ever arising.

The fact of whether or not issues always existed is not really the point anyway. If such issues were here before and someone had been in this very forum complaining for 10 years in a row, they'd be right regardless of the fact Anet ignores the game mode altogether. Sad? Yes sure, but right nonetheless.

Let me correct what you wrote:

10 hours ago, Avatar.3568 said:

Back when the game came out, everyone was terribly bad, there was less "button mashing" because most players were still playing with 1-0 hotkeys trying to outplay their foes instead of chasing reward.

10 hours ago, Avatar.3568 said:

Back at hot, players got far better worse, but we had a huge pvp players base compared to now the PvP playerbase had almost gone extinct to the point that the devs felt the need to introduce reward track and create the current ranking system. Thanks to the new blood attracted this way, you still got your matches at your elo.

• Thanks 1

I didn't play pre HoT, but I loved PvP in late PoF. 

Fighting Mirage as a newbie was like bashing my head into a wall, but that aside I could pick any class and have 2+ meta builds to choose from. And many more that were Great. 

• Like 1
  • Sad 1

20 hours ago, Avatar.3568 said:

Back when the game came out, everyone was terribly bad, there was less "button mashing" because most players where still playing with 1-0 hotkeys

Back at hot, players got far better, but we had a huge pvp players base compared to now, so you still got your matches at your elo

Keep in mind, back than dmg was way higher and CC's did dmg on top. Everything people complain in the forums today, still happened back than

You realize there were many other MMOs before GW2 yes? And usually it was even harder and definitely it had way more keybinds. Just look at some MMOs screenshots. The skillbar takes half a screen. Not only u would use numbers but u added combos with alt/ctrl/shift/f1-f5/mouse1-5 and so on. GW2 from the very beginning was a casual walk in a park 😂

Example of keybinds: https://imgur.com/a/us5OGs2

Edited by Carnifex.3275
  • Like 1

55 minutes ago, Carnifex.3275 said:

You realize there were many other MMOs before GW2 yes? And usually it was even harder and definitely it had way more keybinds. Just look at some MMOs screenshots. The skillbar takes half a screen. Not only u would use numbers but u added combos with alt/ctrl/shift/f1-f5/mouse1-5 and so on. GW2 from the very beginning was a casual walk in a park 😂

I was thinking about AION before I even opened the link.
Hell yeah. I miss all the pvp there.

And yes, GW2 does have way too few skills in most classes and specs for my taste in an MMO. That's the reason for my boredom with most of them.

Still waiting for another MMO with at least an engine that gives combat a good sense of weight, but with more than 5-10 overloaded skills per character. 😂

Edited by Sereath.1428
  • Like 2

2 hours ago, Carnifex.3275 said:

EVE still exists my friend

• Confused 1

18 hours ago, SoftFootpaws.9134 said:

are you sure it has nothing to do with quickness, alacrity, permanent swiftness uptime, relic of speed, and teleport spam, all on full damage builds? there's only so much attack and movement speed creep that a game can handle, especially one without a global cooldown and with alot of instant cast skills.

on my elementalist for example, i can count like five skills i can cast all at the same time if i wanted to, and just blow someone up in 1-2sec. the only defense they have against it is to fly away like the flash, heal up and come back, which is just as bad. basically the entire game has come to revolve around rapid burst for damage, and rapid movement to avoid it, with no real sustained damage or defense anywhere, let alone tactical play.

there's still strategic play at least, but its also been heavily inflated by movement creep since rotations are now like driving around in a car. groups can move between locations so fast that they can 4v or 5vx the enemy team without losing anything since they just drive right back in time to prevent captures.

i never thought i'd see the day where blobbing from point to point is a viable strategy in pvp.

i recommend watching videos on youtube of pvp and wvw from about 2013; the game was at least half as slow as it is now. it was so slow in comparison that groups rarely managed to hit 500 points by a timeout, whereas now you're lucky if you get a 7-8 minute game that is even remotely even.

This^

• Like 1

On 2/15/2024 at 6:22 AM, Sereath.1428 said:

I was thinking about AION before I even opened the link.
Hell yeah. I miss all the pvp there.

And yes, GW2 does have way too few skills in most classes and specs for my taste in an MMO. That's the reason for my boredom with most of them.

Still waiting for another MMO with at least an engine that gives combat a good sense of weight, but with more than 5-10 overloaded skills per character. 😂

Yeah man.. back in the day Aion had a really good run. Good times good times 😊

• Like 1