Obsidian Armor Skins?

2 hours ago, Zera.9435 said:

I'm assuming you only read my comment up until I used the word 'gloat' and you immediately click on the quote button and started typing away. If you read the rest, you would have seen that I said I understand that you guys don't think the cost is worth the skin. As a pure skin, sure it's probably not worth the heavy cost, just like Envoy armor as a pure skin for me is NOT worth doing raids and having to coordinate with people. Regardless, if you want all 3 skins, it's going to cost you nearly 11,000 ectos, nearly 100,000 essences, a couple hundred clovers, 18 map completions or lantern runs, and a couple hundred hours of playtime. To me the cost is worth not having to deal with raids and the extensive coordination with other players.

Notice, that you, again, missed the issue that is being talked about here. You are fine with it costing as much because you do not have any other legendary armor. This whole thread however is about how much is it worth for those that do have a different set already. The issue doesn't affect you at all.

1 hour ago, Zera.9435 said:

Except that this whole thread is about people asking to get the new legendary for a reduced cost. You might be mistaking this thread for the one about general feedback for the Obby armor.

As said above, i think you have completely missed the whole point of this thread.

• Like 1
  • Confused 3

1 minute ago, Astralporing.1957 said:

Notice, that you, again, missed the issue that is being talked about here. You are fine with it costing as much because you do not have any other legendary armor. This whole thread however is about how much is it worth for those that do have a different set already. The issue doesn't affect you at all.

As said above, i think you have completely missed the whole point of this thread.

Oh no, I understand perfectly. You guys want legendary equipment, which has ALWAYS had ridiculous costs associated with it, for a reduced cost. It doesn't matter if you already have legendary armor. You are making a completely different armor set with Obby. You're not just making a skin. Stop thinking of it as just a skin. It is equipment.

Most legendaries were made purely for the skin. It was only later that they added the stat swap ability. Then later the legendary armory just added further incentive to creating legendaries by enabling the ability for one piece of legendary equipment to be available for all your characters. Just because you don't think it is worth creating more than one legendary equipment archetype does not mean that you can invalidate the cost of other legendary equipment.

I made both The Shining Blade AND Bolt. It is totally fine that the cost of each is paid in full. If they added a new legendary sword that I want, then I will make it the old fashioned way at full cost. You are saying that since I made The Shining Blade, I should have been able to get Bolt for a reduced price because I already made a legendary sword, but they are two completely separate pieces of equipment. I already have Nevermore, but I also plan on making Bifrost eventually because even though I have 0 need for a second legendary staff, I want the skin. That means I will have to take the time to do another map completion since I'm out of Gifts of Exploration. That also means that eventually I will have to force myself through WvW for a few hours to get yet another Gift of Battle. If you want the equipment, you make it by playing the content. If you want just the skin, the cost is making the legendary equipment.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 2
  • Confused 4

57 minutes ago, Zera.9435 said:

Oh no, I understand perfectly. You guys want legendary equipment, which has ALWAYS had ridiculous costs associated with it, for a reduced cost. It doesn't matter if you already have legendary armor. You are making a completely different armor set with Obby. You're not just making a skin. Stop thinking of it as just a skin. It is equipment.

No. Not since armoury. There's a reason why when Armoury went in, they were issuing legendary replacement chests for duplicates.

Most legendaries were made purely for the skin. It was only later that they added the stat swap ability. Then later the legendary armory just added further incentive to creating legendaries by enabling the ability for one piece of legendary equipment to be available for all your characters.

Stat swap ability was added when Ascended gear was introduced. That was well before HoT. It's been that way for the majority of the game.

And, sure, before it got introduced, legendaries were being made purely for skin (and "prestige"), but, like i said, that lasted a very short time. Since that a number of people invested in them as form of "futore proofing" their gear. And since the Armoury the paradigm changed again. I'd not be so sure that most people doing them right now are doing it purely for the skin. I would not even be so certain that majority are doing it primarily for the skin (especially seeing how many players flat out reskinned their weapons and armor sets, and seeing how many made the SPvP/WvW sets, that have no legendary skin at all)

.Just because you don't think it is worth creating more than one legendary equipment archetype does not mean that you can invalidate the cost of other legendary equipment.

Invalidating worth of legendary equipment is Anet trying to break the "future proofing" paradigm of them. What we're talking isn't it.

.I made both The Shining Blade AND Bolt. It is totally fine that the cost of each is paid in full. If they added a new legendary sword that I want, then I will make it the old fashioned way at full cost. You are saying that since I made The Shining Blade, I should have been able to get Bolt for a reduced price because I already made a legendary sword, but they are two completely separate pieces of equipment.

You must have missed the part of my post where i specifically mentioned that it's different for weapons, because you can use more than one of them at the same time. I will be definitely making a second sword, axe, dagger, mace. I will likely make a second staff as well (even though Anet gutted that build because they do not like the Mirage spec). There's an actual use for having more than one weapon of the same type. There's no use whatsoever for having a second.

• Like 1
  • Confused 3

12 minutes ago, Astralporing.1957 said:

No. Not since armoury. There's a reason why when Armoury went in, they were issuing legendary replacement chests for duplicates.

For duplicates yes, if someone had for example, multiple sets of heavy PvP armour then they got chests for the duplicates.

If they had sets of PvP, WvW and Envoy heavy armour they didn't get chests for those as they weren't duplicates. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 3

2 hours ago, Zera.9435 said:

Most legendaries were made purely for the skin. It was only later that they added the stat swap ability. Then later the legendary armory just added further incentive to creating legendaries by enabling the ability for one piece of legendary equipment to be available for all your characters. Just because you don't think it is worth creating more than one legendary equipment archetype does not mean that you can invalidate the cost of other legendary equipment.

I made both The Shining Blade AND Bolt. It is totally fine that the cost of each is paid in full. If they added a new legendary sword that I want, then I will make it the old fashioned way at full cost. You are saying that since I made The Shining Blade, I should have been able to get Bolt for a reduced price because I already made a legendary sword, but they are two completely separate pieces of equipment. I already have Nevermore, but I also plan on making Bifrost eventually because even though I have 0 need for a second legendary staff, I want the skin. That means I will have to take the time to do another map completion since I'm out of Gifts of Exploration. That also means that eventually I will have to force myself through WvW for a few hours to get yet another Gift of Battle. If you want the equipment, you make it by playing the content. If you want just the skin, the cost is making the legendary equipment.

Except for the fact that for someone who already has legendary armor the obsidian set IS just a skin.

You can use The Shining Blade and Bolt at the same time, gaining legendary functionality from both at the same time.

That said, I cannot disagree with the assertion that people who already have legendary armor, and who find the cost for just the obsidian armor skins to be excessive, should probably stop playing the game, stop spending money on it. They should consider finding something else to play where the content releases are not so focused in their rewards on a singular thing that many gain little or no benefit from.

Edited by Ashen.2907
  • Like 1
  • Confused 4

18 minutes ago, Pifil.5193 said:

If they had sets of PvP, WvW and Envoy heavy armour they didn't get chests for those as they weren't duplicates. 

Considering both SPvP and WvW sets have no unique skins of their own, i always considered that one to be a big mistake (and a sign of how little Anet thinks of PvP communities).

• Thanks 1
  • Haha 1
  • Confused 3
  • Sad 1

I wouldn't mind if you could unlock other skins by playing content you like (or open world) + reduced cost once you've unlocked the system, and that's as good as it gets.

I can also understand the players who have spent a lot of time playing Fashion Wars and wouldn't be happy if their rare skin was easier to get. Because a skin is not just a skin in this game.

Both sides have their legitimate arguments.

Making the skins easier to get for everyone would revitalize the game for a short period of time because, depending on how high the obstacle is, many would probably go for it.

I think this has a higher value because it affects a much larger player community not only directly but also indirectly - depending on what the acquisition would involve.
(e.g. like the legendary amulet)

When the game needs that attention again.

(I unlocked the skyscale twice... who did not?)

• Like 1

4 hours ago, Astralporing.1957 said:

Stat swap ability was added when Ascended gear was introduced. That was well before HoT. It's been that way for the majority of the game.

And, sure, before it got introduced, legendaries were being made purely for skin (and "prestige"), but, like i said, that lasted a very short time. Since that a number of people invested in them as form of "futore proofing" their gear. And since the Armoury the paradigm changed again. I'd not be so sure that most people doing them right now are doing it purely for the skin. I would not even be so certain that majority are doing it primarily for the skin (especially seeing how many players flat out reskinned their weapons and armor sets, and seeing how many made the SPvP/WvW sets, that have no legendary skin at all)

Invalidating worth of legendary equipment is Anet trying to break the "future proofing" paradigm of them. What we're talking isn't it.

You must have missed the part of my post where i specifically mentioned that it's different for weapons, because you can use more than one of them at the same time. I will be definitely making a second sword, axe, dagger, mace. I will likely make a second staff as well (even though Anet gutted that build because they do not like the Mirage spec). There's an actual use for having more than one weapon of the same type. There's no use whatsoever for having a second.

Again, if you want the skin, you make the equipment. It does not matter if you have no need for the equipment itself. The skin is tied to the equipment, not the other way around. If the cost is not worth it for you, then don't get it. As I already said, I currently have Nevermore but I also want to get the skin for Bifrost. I'm going to make Bifrost at some point, even though it's technically pointless to have more than one legendary staff in the armory. I'd be doing it for the skin at that point. Heaven forbid I have to play the game some more to get it.

Also, just because a person makes a legendary for the skin, and then later reskin it does not invalidate that it was made for the skin. You make it sound like people should be ashamed for reskinning their legendaries. Sometimes a particular legendary's skin doesn't fit the thematic appearance a player wants for themselves (as player tastes change over time and want to break the monotony), even if they like the skin.

It does not matter if you make a legendary for the functionality or the skin. It will cost you the same regardless of the reason. I have a working car that I've been driving for years, but I really like the newest and latest model. If I went to a car dealership and told them "Hey I have a 2015 Corvette. Let me get a solid discount on the 2024 Corvette, which clearly costs more than my 2010 model did, just because I already have a Corvette" they'd laugh so hard and probably just tell you to leave the premises or worse: they call the police because they are clearly dealing with an unhinged individual. They want their money, and so does ArenaNet.

Regardless, you will not be getting the Obby armor skin for a reduced cost. If that makes some not want to play the game then so be it. There are other reasons to play besides Obby armor depending on what you have or haven't already done.

• Thanks 3
  • Confused 2

Again, if you want the skin, you make the equipment. It does not matter if you have no need for the equipment itself. The skin is tied to the equipment, not the other way around. If the cost is not worth it for you, then don't get it.

This ver argument was once used by raiders to argue agains thing like Obsidian armor. "if you want the armor, you play the content. If you don't want to play the content, you don;t get the armor". If your way of thinking was something Anet agreed with, there would have been no Obsidian armor for you to make.

As I already said, I currently have Nevermore but I also want to get the skin for Bifrost. I'm going to make Bifrost at some point, even though it's technically pointless to have more than one legendary staff in the armory. I'd be doing it for the skin at that point. Heaven forbid I have to play the game some more to get it.

There has been a double staff build in the past. And a double shortbow one. And (although this one was way more niche) double GS one. It's entirely possible those builds (or some different ones, like a double rifle, longbow or hammer) may emerge in the future. What is not possible is to ever be an use for two legendary armor sets of the same weight.

Also, just because a person makes a legendary for the skin, and then later reskin it does not invalidate that it was made for the skin.

Yes. If they made it for a skin, which you have no way of knowing. Just because someone made a legendary does not make it so they definitely made it for skin. There are other reasons for why they may have done so, and skin does not have to be a primary one (or even important at all). Since the stat swap exists, there were already people that made legendaries for other reasons than skins. There have been many players that made their legendary and reskinned it right away. And there was no player that made WvW or SPvP legendary armor purely for skin. Because if they wanted the skin only, they'd have stopped at ascended.

You make it sound like people should be ashamed for reskinning their legendaries.

No.  I make it sound that crafting legendaries for their QoL is a very legitimate reason (and a quite common one).

It does not matter if you make a legendary for the functionality or the skin. It will cost you the same regardless of the reason. I have a working car that I've been driving for years, but I really like the newest and latest model. If I went to a car dealership and told them "Hey I have a 2015 Corvette. Let me get a solid discount on the 2024 Corvette, which clearly costs more than my 2010 model did, just because I already have a Corvette" they'd laugh so hard and probably just tell you to leave the premises or worse: they call the police because they are clearly dealing with an unhinged individual. They want their money, and so does ArenaNet.

Your car deprecates with time. Your legendary armor doesn't. Believe me, if your 10 year old car was in an equally pristine state and equally as functional as the new one, and the only difference would be the look, you would get discounts. Major ones.

Regardless, you will not be getting the Obby armor skin for a reduced cost. If that makes some not want to play the game then so be it. There are other reasons to play besides Obby armor depending on what you have or haven't already done.

I heard that too before. I was told exactly the same when i was suggesting Anet should make an OW legendary armor. The only reason why you now have that opportunity is because players like me were asking for it for years. but i guess i (and everyone else) should have heard the advice then and just gave up on the idea, and left you to decide whether you want to raid or not get the armor.

Funny how that works.

• Confused 3

My only concern when it comes to the Obby armor is that nearly the entirety of the expac's reward structure centers around it. As much as I like most of the medium and heavy sets I can do without because, to me, the grind is excessive for just a skin and I am happy with all of my characters' appearance. aBut at that point, lacking other rewards, the entire expac is left lacking in an important part of the MMO play loop, rewards. This makes the content, already intended to be light, less interesting and makes spending money on the game less appropriate.

The decision to focus rewards for an entire expac so tightly is bad design in my opinion, not because of any individual player who already has legendary armor, but rather because it is, by intent, meant to partially exclude a (significant) portion of the player base which has been sufficiently engaged with the game to pursue top end, time consuming, rewards in the past.

I am a believer in  economic Darwinism and hope that a company's poor decisions, here or elsewhere, lead to consequences for the company and those making the decisions.

• Confused 2

2 hours ago, Astralporing.1957 said:

I heard that too before. I was told exactly the same when i was suggesting Anet should make an OW legendary armor. The only reason why you now have that opportunity is because players like me were asking for it for years. but i guess i (and everyone else) should have heard the advice then and just gave up on the idea, and left you to decide whether you want to raid or not get the armor.

I asked for non-raid open-world armor as well. I too was told to kitten off and do raids. I DID give up on the idea of them making an open world legendary armor, so I ran around on my characters in ascended armor for nearly a decade. I decided NOT to get the Envoy armor because for me it was not worth the hassle of raiding. Then they brought out the other two legendary armors, which I also did not get because I also do not enjoy PvP/WvW. I continually went without legendary armor all these 11+ years until 3 days ago. Now you are faced with the same choice I had:

It is up to you to decide whether you want to play the expansion (no matter how kitten you think it is) or not get the armor.

Either way, for the millionth time, you know what you have to do to get it if you want it. That, or you can wait around for another few years when/if they introduce a different open-world legendary armor that has requirements that are acceptable to you.

It's okay if the obby armor's requirements are not acceptable to you, and it's a totally valid choice to forego it. It is also a totally valid choice to not play this expansion's content if it is not to your liking. But don't go advocating that you have absolutely no use for it, then turn around and demand that you get it for a reduced cost.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 3
  • Confused 2

1 hour ago, Ashen.2907 said:

My only concern when it comes to the Obby armor is that nearly the entirety of the expac's reward structure centers around it. As much as I like most of the medium and heavy sets I can do without because, to me, the grind is excessive for just a skin and I am happy with all of my characters' appearance. aBut at that point, lacking other rewards, the entire expac is left lacking in an important part of the MMO play loop, rewards. This makes the content, already intended to be light, less interesting and makes spending money on the game less appropriate.

The decision to focus rewards for an entire expac so tightly is bad design in my opinion, not because of any individual player who already has legendary armor, but rather because it is, by intent, meant to partially exclude a (significant) portion of the player base which has been sufficiently engaged with the game to pursue top end, time consuming, rewards in the past.

I am a believer in  economic Darwinism and hope that a company's poor decisions, here or elsewhere, lead to consequences for the company and those making the decisions.

It is not meant to exclude anyone. ArenaNet provided the Obby armor as just another goal for players to strive for if they so desire. It is optional content. It was to give players more options on how to outfit their characters with legendary armor. More player choice is a good thing. It is only your opinion that it is lacking rewards because they are rewards you don't want. That does not mean the expansion is actually lacking rewards.

• Thanks 3
  • Confused 2

26 minutes ago, Zera.9435 said:

It is not meant to exclude anyone. ArenaNet provided the Obby armor as just another goal for players to strive for if they so desire. It is optional content. It was to give players more options on how to outfit their characters with legendary armor. More player choice is a good thing. It is only your opinion that it is lacking rewards because they are rewards you don't want. That does not mean the expansion is actually lacking rewards.

The only reward of any significance is the legendary armor. Almost all of the featured content rewards materials specifically for the legendary armor, and not much else.

Of course the expansion is optional content. Since it primarily exists to provide an opportunity to gain materials for legendary armor that optionality is intentionally designed to be less appealing to those who already have the functionality of the armor. That is exclusionary.

And, again, my concern is less about the armor itself and more about the decision to focus an entire expansion's reward systems, almost exclusively, on one thing. 

Add some more drops that are not obsidian armor crafting materials, perhaps even lessen the rate of acquisition of those specific materials in order to increase other drops.

Some infusions (not my cup of tea but others like them).

Perhaps some new emotes.

More cosmetics.

Whatever.

I stopped doing convergences and rifts, or even playing the expac content, when I realized that I was receiving zero drops that had value for other than crafting the armor. With this precedent set I see little reason to spend money on the game, to recommend it, to not speak ill of it when friends and I are chatting about our respective gaming hobbies, and so on. Smaller, more frequent, expacs had a lot of potential as a concept. I liked the price point (and would have been okay at a higher price), loved the idea that the writers said they were going for a more mature, even darker, tone, and was curious as to how they would differentiate Rifts from similar content released in the past. But if there are no rewards to pursue beyond new skins for my existing armor at the full price (more really) of my existing sets of legendary armor then there is no reason to repeat the playable content. If there is no reason to repeat it then there isn't much point in paying for it in the first place. 

Edited by Ashen.2907
  • Like 1
  • Confused 3

11 minutes ago, Ashen.2907 said:

The only reward of any significance is the legendary armor. Almost all of the featured content rewards materials specifically for the legendary armor, and not much else.

Of course the expansion is optional content. Since it primarily exists to provide an opportunity to gain materials for legendary armor that optionality is intentionally designed to be less appealing to those who already have the functionality of the armor. That is exclusionary.

And, again, my concern is less about the armor itself and more about the decision to focus an entire expansion's reward systems, almost exclusively, on one thing. 

Add some more drops that are not obsidian armor crafting materials, perhaps even lessen the rate of acquisition of those specific materials in order to increase other drops.

Some infusions (not my cup of tea but others like them).

Perhaps some new emotes.

More cosmetics.

Whatever.

I stopped doing convergences and rifts, or even playing the expac content, when I realized that I was receiving zero drops that had value for other than crafting the armor. 

Your points are not invalid, but I think you're posting this in the wrong thread. You should be posting them in a thread that talks about the expansion in general or the obby armor general feedback. Your feedback might be more impactful there. This thread is specifically about people wanting to get obby armor for a reduced cost.

• Like 1
  • Confused 2

20 minutes ago, Zera.9435 said:

Your points are not invalid, but I think you're posting this in the wrong thread. You should be posting them in a thread that talks about the expansion in general or the obby armor general feedback. Your feedback might be more impactful there. This thread is specifically about people wanting to get obby armor for a reduced cost.

Solid point.

I felt that this could fit here because having the ability to get the obby armor skin for existing leggy armor could make the expac feel more rewarding to a larger portion of the player base. It wouldnt necessarily be my preference but I could see it having that effect.

• Like 1
  • Confused 4

7 hours ago, Ashen.2907 said:

Solid point.

I felt that this could fit here because having the ability to get the obby armor skin for existing leggy armor could make the expac feel more rewarding to a larger portion of the player base. It wouldnt necessarily be my preference but I could see it having that effect.

It would definitely increase incentive to do the content. And since it would work both ways, doing Obsidian armor (or WvW/SPvP one) would end up being a smaller decrease in incentive for doing Raids than it is today.

• Thanks 1
  • Confused 3

Technically the "if you want it, play the content" doesn't exactly apply to this request (which isn't new either) since the request mostly talks about skipping major parts of gold cost while leaving the content-specific currency "grind" (like essences, LI, skirmish tickets). Something that technically is already a thing for competitive armor skins and doesn't even sound as outlandish considering the gold cost could be associated with the legendary utility, while the specific content "grind" could be associated with the skin to represent participation. That said, there was never any "discount" offered just because someone had another legendary item for the slot (even if someone capped 4 swords, for example), so doubt it will happen.

And with that out of the way, I'll be waiting for t2 and maybe I'll craft individual parts if they'll have good visuals 🤷‍♂️ 

• Like 1
  • Confused 3

Having answered "If you want to have the thing you got to do the thing" to many, many "I just want the raid armor skin"-threads, I'll have to give the same answer here. If you want the obby skin you got to do what is necessary to get the skin. Having another piece of legendary armor has nothing to do with it. The two have nothing in common. It's like wanting a discount on milk because you already bought orange juice, sure their both liquids and make for a good breakfast, but that's about it. I get that it may be frustrating to see the new toy but again, if you want the thing you got to do the thing to get the thing. It has been the go to answer whenever people asked for open world legy answer and there was none, it has to be the go to answer now when there is an open world legy armor with an exclusive skin attached to it.

• Like 4
  • Thanks 3
  • Confused 1

I have not the many years of experience to draw from although have learned from following these posts.  A number of different yet valid points have been made, and yes agree we all make a decision on weather the grind for Legendary Armor is worthwhile to us.  Without a monthly player fee, it seems very reasonable to me to support the game via Updates and Black Lion.

Perhaps I am mistaken but yes the cost and or grind seems excessive and a little too reliant on the one expansion rather than the game in it's entirety.  Would I undertake this for a skin, for me... the answer would be a resounding NO.  WvW armor requires a ranking of 500  and as it is Open World Legendary Armor, would rather see a point cap (mastery or achievement) with a little less emphasis on the grind and yes, am aware that this would seem unreasonable to some.  I guess like all things, you can only please some of the people, some of the time and would have, could have, should have is of no consequence now.  Although.. with some surety the Black Lion will certainly be in the black.

Edited by Shiva.2059
spelling
  • Like 1
  • Confused 3

I want the obsidian armor skins without it clogging my armory.  It's already going to get crazy with 6x armor, 5x weapons (On average, give or take more depending on profession), a rune slot, and a sigil slot.  That's ~13 slots.  I don't want another 6 per armor weight taking up space and making it difficult to find what weapon I want.

• Confused 4

Just now, Epsilon Indi.2031 said:

I don't want another 6 per armor weight taking up space and making it difficult to find what weapon I want.

That shouldn't be an issue, since you only see the armors and weapons the character you are currently equipping can use.

I am fully legendary (including at least two weapons per weapon type), and I have no trouble finding what I am looking for.

• Like 1
  • Confused 2

1 hour ago, Ashantara.8731 said:

That shouldn't be an issue, since you only see the armors and weapons the character you are currently equipping can use.

I am fully legendary (including at least two weapons per weapon type), and I have no trouble finding what I am looking for.

K, so it's not a problem for you, but it will be for me,

• Confused 2
  • Sad 1

6 hours ago, Ashantara.8731 said:

True -and not only that, but when we click on a specific armor slot, other armor parts won't be visible. So click on gloves slot and it only shows gloves in armory, which means by crafting a new set, we only get a whole one more item to see per slot.

Edited by Sobx.1758
  • Like 6
  • Confused 1

1. I see people here arguing that they have legendary armor for function and don’t care about the prestige. But that ignores the fact that prestige has always been a big factor for long term goals in all mmo’s. It doesn’t matter what you personally want the armor for. If anet hands out the skins for reduced price then it will undermine the prestige for those who do care about it. Also, saying you have raid armor for function and you don’t care about skins and then turning around and wanting free obsidian armor skins seems a bit contrary, no? There are plenty of other skins in the game that look good.

2. Saying there aren’t enough rewards in Soto apart from the armor is a good argument for adding more rewards, not offering current rewards for reduced price.

3. Is it even possible to divorce the wardrobe and skins from the legendary armory system that gives functionality (without making a duplicate set in the wardrobe)?

• Like 1
  • Confused 3

6 hours ago, Portico.2354 said:

1. I see people here arguing that they have legendary armor for function and don’t care about the prestige. But that ignores the fact that prestige has always been a big factor for long term goals in all mmo’s. It doesn’t matter what you personally want the armor for. If anet hands out the skins for reduced price then it will undermine the prestige for those who do care about it. Also, saying you have raid armor for function and you don’t care about skins and then turning around and wanting free obsidian armor skins seems a bit contrary, no? There are plenty of other skins in the game that look good.

Then I suppose WvW and PvP are the exception, not the rule as players can acquire the legendary look without going full in on the legendary cost.  They still have to progress to the point to acquire those skins, however.  This is something I'd like to be expanded upon, similar to how WvW and PvP don't have t o do the massive grind to get the legendary armor skins.  Also, right now, the current obsidian armor looks a lot like the precursor Envoy armor with the static meshes, no flashiness, no lights.  It doesn't even have subtle glow like the WvW or PvP armors. 

2. Saying there aren’t enough rewards in Soto apart from the armor is a good argument for adding more rewards, not offering current rewards for reduced price.

As someone who already has their armor, there's really nothing for me in this expansion outside of new weapons to play around with.  If I didn't have to do yet another legendary grind to acquire the new armor skins (Yet still had to do some plevel of participation and complete the same collection achievements)

3. Is it even possible to divorce the wardrobe and skins from the legendary armory system that gives functionality (without making a duplicate set in the wardrobe)?

Yes. See WvW and PvP legendary armor skins.  Also, in the grander scheme of things, armor, weapon, and backpack skins have all been divorced from the actual gear (After acquisition, of course) since the introduction of the wardrobe system. This means a player could buy a skin item that gives the same skin as an armor, weapon, or backpiece.  The closest example to this I can recall are the basic weapon skins in WvW that can be bought for badges of honor, have no functional attributes, and just act as a means to transmute to those skins freely. I believe they were aureate, krytan, and other basic skins.

Personally, I think there'd be a lot less people with problems on how this armor was introduced if there were precursor armor sets that looked similar, didn't have the legendary cost, and then were what was upgraded into the T1, T2, T3 / etc. obsidian armor.

• Confused 1