Staff is Just a Better Greatsword. Buff/rework Greatsword.

Yerlock.4678

Staff:

1.  Has Mobility
  2. Has some damage (though not too much).
  3. Has Heals
  4. Has blocks and aegis/protection.
  5. Has cc
  6. Has might/fury
  7.  Gives regen
  8. Gives extra adrenaline 

Greatsword:

1.  Has Mobility
  2. Has damage (though not enough)
  3. has an evade?
  4. uhhh has fury?

Greatsword needs more love/buffs/reworks.

Bladetrail needs a cc similar to Snap Pull.

Hundred Blades needs an all around rework. Right now it's just good for cleaving downed players or someone who's stunned.

Edited by gmmg.9210
  • Like 8
  • Haha 2
  • Confused 6

Greatsword has a really big damage compared to Staff, though. Aside from the dreaded GS2, most of these skills aren't terribad. At best Staff can do something like 8k in one hit (tested while soloing in pve), while Greatsword's burst skills can hit well beyond 15k mark, especially if you use Primal Burst on it. Staff isn't even that great in terms of mobility, since you have two mobility skills, one of which atm does like, literal zero damage, while Greatsword has two as well, but both can be heavy hitters, and one of them gives you an evade window if timed right.

Where Staff has superior sustain and CC (which in of itself is laughable because it has only one), Greatsword has quite a big damage by quite a margin, and arguably even a ranged attack if you even need it for some reason. I might be biased, but the Adrenaline gain on Staff isn't exactly the best as it requires you to spam Staff 2 which isn't exactly spammable, and Staff 5 which is your defensive skill that ideally you wanna save for the right moment, so that isn't something I would consider an advantage either. Staff technically beast Greatsword in terms of Might generation, but if you are running Forceful Greatsword in Strength traitline, it also allows Greatsword to gain a lot of Might in a reasonably short amount of time.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1
  • Confused 1

3 hours ago, Guy.9207 said:

Greatsword has a really big damage compared to Staff, though. Aside from the dreaded GS2, most of these skills aren't terribad. At best Staff can do something like 8k in one hit (tested while soloing in pve), while Greatsword's burst skills can hit well beyond 15k mark, especially if you use Primal Burst on it. Staff isn't even that great in terms of mobility, since you have two mobility skills, one of which atm does like, literal zero damage, while Greatsword has two as well, but both can be heavy hitters, and one of them gives you an evade window if timed right.

Where Staff has superior sustain and CC (which in of itself is laughable because it has only one), Greatsword has quite a big damage by quite a margin, and arguably even a ranged attack if you even need it for some reason. I might be biased, but the Adrenaline gain on Staff isn't exactly the best as it requires you to spam Staff 2 which isn't exactly spammable, and Staff 5 which is your defensive skill that ideally you wanna save for the right moment, so that isn't something I would consider an advantage either. Staff technically beast Greatsword in terms of Might generation, but if you are running Forceful Greatsword in Strength traitline, it also allows Greatsword to gain a lot of Might in a reasonably short amount of time.

In PvE, sure.

In competitive modes things are different. Greatsword absolutely still beats staff in damage, but with the necessity of Discipline and at this point Defense due in large part to needing the sustain on any given build the class just isn't in a state to "augment" Greatsword all that much. It is in pretty stark contrast to something like Guardian which you will routinely see running Radiance/Virtues/X or Zeal/Virtues/X with Zeal and Radiance being damage lines and Virtue fulfilling the function of providing utility, where Guardian also just has in general sustain elements such as Aegis, a heal skill that blocks, as well as an Elite skill with invuln, and if a Willbender just crazy mobility to top it all off.

So Guardian ends up, essentially, using two damage Specialization lines along with their utility Specialization line. Honor comes into play if people want more sustain, but they do fall off in terms of damage a good bit and everything right now feels like burst, burst, burst. Which is why any argument of "Well Warrior's health pool is larger" is completely null because it doesn't matter when everything else is hitting for 10k+ right out of the gate in any given encounter which is something Warrior physically can't really accomplish due to its entire profession mechanic making the classes damage backloaded.

• Like 1

On 3/6/2024 at 3:18 PM, Fueki.4753 said:

Why did it take Staff for you to realize how bad Greatsword is?

Using Greatsword should have made you realize how bad Greatsword is.

Yeah it did, it's just Staff was salt in the wound.

• Thanks 1
  • Confused 1

• Yerlock.4678 changed the title to Staff is Just a Better Greatsword. Buff/rework Greatsword.
On 3/6/2024 at 4:42 AM, gmmg.9210 said:

Staff:

1.  Has Mobility
  2. Has some damage (though not too much).
  3. Has Heals
  4. Has blocks and aegis/protection.
  5. Has cc
  6. Has might/fury
  7.  Gives regen
  8. Gives extra adrenaline 

Greatsword:

1.  Has Mobility
  2. Has damage (though not enough)
  3. has an evade?
  4. uhhh has fury?

Greatsword needs more love/buffs/reworks.

Bladetrail needs a cc similar to Snap Pull.

Hundred Blades needs an all around rework. Right now it's just good for cleaving downed players or someone who's stunned.

right now as of for the last 12 years hundredblades only been good for cleaving stunned or downed players....it just needs more damage as mentioned . its a great kit its just lacking damage and less archaic mobility, when everything has a teleport or faster cleave its no wonder warrior is undesirable. skill 4 could use a faster cast. skill 5 supposedly getting fixed - well see.  I think you're describing staff as hammer its nothing like greatsword.

• Like 3

Staff is an overtuned healing weapon to try and compensate for Warrior's complete lack of decent support traits. Staff is better than every weapon in the game if you just list the things it can do.

• Like 1

On 3/11/2024 at 5:24 AM, Myror.7521 said:

Idk i still think that staff is just like. Greatsword but its healing Version xD

It is. I presently cannot kill a staff spell with my spell, but they can’t kill me. I do more damage, they heal more, and it offsets. 

@oscuro.9720 actually i have no problems killin staff spells as a GS spell Player. Its only hard when your playing Condi zerker xD..... Well at least on the Sword Sword Version. ^^ On Mace Sword a matchub against a Spellbraker is most of the time a litterly free win lol

Edited by Myror.7521

I'm partial to the destroyer, reclaimed, and warband staves- all of them look more like polearms than just a stick or a wizard staff. The dragon decade anniversary staff is also pretty beefy if you like the more gilded look.

• 2 months later...

I necro this to confirm that scythes look wonderful for warrior staff animations (using clockwork) and that is indeed a better greatsword. The 2,3,4,5 skills are pure support (well, mobility, blocks...) but 1 almost doesn't heal (only third hit, and a very small heal) so, to compensate the pretty much lack of healing, damage is almost the same as greatsword (tested). Greatsword damage only shines in theory with 2, but you never land that on PVP, so who cares.

I've been trying it in rankeds. I'm full assassin with precision/ferocity runes, vigor relic, offensive traits and sigils for might generation, ah oh god, it's wonderful. I feel so powerful, I do damage and I kill stuff, while I dodge constantly with nearly-infinite stamina, block things and heal, with amazing survival even being glasscanon. This is heaven, after suffering years trying to make greatsword and gunsaber work (gunsaber kinda works, but too much smoke and noise on screen and I can't see my enemy).