New Arcane Wave and Elemental-staff player

WTF. The idea of using a Staff is that you are ranged and you stay out of the mele.

This "Arcane Blast and Arcane Wave have a bit too much overlap with each other, and we wanted to give Arcane Wave a more unique identity by adding a movement component."

This put me in the mele and I die.

When you make these changes don't forget about the Elemental-Staff players.

It's probable fantastic for those that use single handed weapons.

• Like 3
  • Thanks 6
  • Haha 3
  • Confused 1
  • Sad 1

7 hours ago, Reincarnated.1754 said:

WTF. The idea of using a Staff is that you are ranged and you stay out of the mele.

This "Arcane Blast and Arcane Wave have a bit too much overlap with each other, and we wanted to give Arcane Wave a more unique identity by adding a movement component."

I mean you can still cast it on yourself, for blasting might and heals, and if you're jumping too someone or something well it's a nice cc now more so in pve. But yeah if we could have all that without the jumping that'd be great. But considering all that ele has been "given" of late, I'm very catious about asking anything these days.

• Haha 1

There could be a problem "who exacly needs that"? As if you are using dagger or sword mainhand, you have enought jumps. There is also off hand dagger.

If they wanted to make it special there could be some knockdown or other defiance bar drain.

18 hours ago, Reincarnated.1754 said:

They will rework staff soon....to be used as mele weapon

• Haha 5
  • Sad 1

Other point of view:

Sure why not, more mobility always good, and for melee elie ti could be good. However...

Could the whole skill be pushed into charge skill? This means adding stun break, and some barrier. Maybe 1sec daze for enemies. Generally Elie is not known for resilence, and jumping into combat is risky move. So there needs to be some mechanics in skill to make it less damage skil but more movment leap into skills.

And also glymph of storm could spawn combo fields, as we are lacking now generic aoe damage skill.

y'all can laugh if you want, but arcane wave's changes do NOT apply to its underwater version. it has no daze and no leap at all on the underwater skill. how this change did not apply to underwater is beyond me. not like anyone plays underwater anyway, but ele's underwater CC availability did not increase with this change. 🙃 p.s. this skill hasn't acted as a blast finisher underwater since 2016. a bugged and outdated skill to add insult to injury.

Edited by mirage.8046
  • Like 3

5 hours ago, mirage.8046 said:

y'all can laugh if you want, but arcane wave's changes do NOT apply to its underwater version. it has no daze and no leap at all on the underwater skill. how this change did not apply to underwater is beyond me. not like anyone plays underwater anyway, but ele's underwater CC availability did not increase with this change. 🙃 p.s. this skill hasn't acted as a blast finisher underwater since 2016. a bugged and outdated skill to add insult to injury.

It's simple, underwater skills are just different skills so they must be updated separately. Up to this day we still have underwater catalyst f5 with incorrect boons.

It looks decent on paper, but it's so slow and clunky that I can't see ever using it except *maybe* on Hammer Cata in pvp? They basically took the one way to immob lock somebody into a staff aoe at range and turned it into a slow af melee gap closer that's impossible to land unless the target is already immobilized...

• Like 2

On 3/22/2024 at 8:48 AM, soulknight.9620 said:

Why would anyone want to play an ele as a range spec? Are you out of your mind? Do you expect a "wizard" archetype to attack from a range and not jump into the fray like a mad berserker? Now thats just silly! 

Once upon a time in a far far away GW2 an Ele. Staff was a player every one wanted with them. I have played it from day one, found no reason to change.

Every one these days want every thing to be one hit and run.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

On 3/22/2024 at 1:32 AM, mirage.8046 said:

Because anet is great at having ideas to change something, but forget another part completely. I know it's just visual, but they had updated the combo-field effects on the edges for circular combo fields yeeeeeaaars ago and said the rectangular combo fields will be changed shortly after? That never happened and it really bothers me that you can overlook that for so long.

• Like 1

I was really surprised when i scrolled through this topic. I didnt expect so many people being upset about the change. Maybe i am missing something, but arcane wave pretty much was a skill they revived from the dead. I am not aware of any decent build that used the old arcane wave. (also i am a little surprised that so many players like staff builds considering staff is only usefull as a support weapon. But thats missing the point i guess)

As someone who plays all game modes but mainly pvp and wvw i have to say the new arcane wave is amazing. Borderline overpowered. Its a great mobility tool with 2 charges, good cc, decent dmg and on top it is a combo finisher. I mean..  that is a catalysts wet dream 🙂

Edited by lol.9027

10 hours ago, lol.9027 said:

I was really surprised when i scrolled through this topic. I didnt expect so many people being upset about the change. Maybe i am missing something, but arcane wave pretty much was a skill they revived from the dead. I am not aware of any decent build that used the old arcane wave. (also i am a little surprised that so many players like staff builds considering staff is only usefull as a support weapon. But thats missing the point i guess)

As someone who plays all game modes but mainly pvp and wvw i have to say the new arcane wave is amazing. Borderline overpowered. Its a great mobility tool with 2 charges, good cc, decent dmg and on top it is a combo finisher. I mean..  that is a catalysts wet dream 🙂

Yea, it's good in PvP/WvW because the elementalist designer (CmC) plays PvP. Every change in PvE since he's "taking care of" elementalist is pretty much bad, I don't recall a single decent change in the last 2 years.

• Like 2
  • Confused 1

On 3/20/2024 at 9:31 PM, Reincarnated.1754 said:

Waaaa ? ele has a staff ? i completely forgot this so called "weapon" who throws hot candys at your enemy and make a meteor sprinkles to please kids .

It's again a pvp change , every change to ele since 2-3 years has been oreinted for pvp/wvw , do not wonder why you only see 0.2 of ele in pve , the class is just blatant bad and playing as an ele if you are a new player is starting the game by shooting yourself in the feet and even as a vet you will not perform better than any other class while also being more sensitive to downstate , a bad support , a bad support/dps and a bad dps , so sad cause the attunement mechanic whole is pretty well tought.

Staff isn't a good dps weapon , it's neither a good support weapon cause of the narrow boon range , who make no sense in a game where you stack and destack so often.

And if all of that is not enough you have the lowets armor and the lowest hp both of the whole game , a glass canon , but they forgot to add the canon , it's just glass...

And for ppl who don't agree , explain to me this : https://gw2wingman.nevermindcreations.de/popularity , yeah you can hover to fractals or strikes it's not gonna change the slightest the % , class not played = class is bad ! Ele need a whole 1.0 to 2.0 update to be on pair with others .... i expect any confused emote to come with a full explanation of ele strong points vs weak points ... but i can still dream...

• Like 1

22 hours ago, lol.9027 said:

yep that's we talk about Ele is only good in pvp/wvw and the changes are made for those modes were he already shines , thus we pve enjoyers are always left speechless with the actual design of ele being a melee fighter more than a range fighter , with very narrow option to go off distance without loosing potential support or dps.

Changes on arcane are ofc really good in pvp/wvw , i mean a teleport who stuns ... that's freakish godly for a pvp match , but for pve were you ahve classes bench pressing 1000 damage cc with 2 skills a port who deals 100 breakbar and need a specific arcane traitline to work is utterly bad , also arcane traitline have most trait designed towards pvp too , i mean the only usefull thing in arcane is the boon share on attunement swap and the +180 concentration coupled with 15% reduc. on attunement swap , the rest is either bad or anectodict , i mean the water spring on rez is ok tier , the arcane evasive is pretty bad , the effects has little to no impact in pve , having 250 healing yourself on attunement swap doesn't make any difference and 1 might on attunement swap .. for yourself ! not even for allys proxy ... that's utter trash tier for pve endgame.

• 2 weeks later...

Thank you all for the comments.

As my sig, says I only come here to vent. I don't believe anything here said will change what they do to the game. I have noticed since day one they only seem to look at the single handed weapon setups with the elementals, staff has always been on the back shelf, and gets the worst deal.

Just hope they don't frog-up "Cleansing Fire" once I have got used it. It's what I have swoped out "Arcane Wave" for. I just wish this was target placeable. "Arcane Wave" used to be my backup blast. It used to be that I didn't have to change my setup no matter what I was doing. If I wanted a change I would change character, that's what I thought having different character's was for. Any ways I am too old for this sh** sort of thing, I'm sure it works for the setup it was changed for, best to leave it to the young. I am sure when they changed it they looked at every combination you can play an elemental. **he say sarcastically** If they got it right there would be no need for change.

I only play now for the community. Time to move on to another rant.

• Like 1