Thoughts about GW3 [Merged]

27 minutes ago, Zok.4956 said:

I don't quite understand your logic. There are practically always games in development, including MMOs. According to your logic, you would then practically not play any games, but always wait for the next one to come out at some point? Because then the current game would be outdated?

Everything that you can earn/work for in a game doesn't really exist, none of it lasts forever. It's all just virtual. A game account can be blocked at any time (for whatever reason) and then you no longer have access to what you have earned. The only real thing is the fun you have in a game (or not).

If GW2 *and* GW3 existed and you asked which of the two games you should farm a legendary in *now*, I would probably tell you GW3. But that's not a decision you can make. Because there is no GW3 and whether and when it will be is completely open. So your decision is: play GW2 or not.

If you don't get any use out of Legendary gear now... just leave it and do the things you enjoy more.

Well for me its easy to understand. If your gonna sink 6-8 hours a day into a game to farm stuff, you want the game and that stuff to be relevant for a lot of years, you just dont wanna sink that time so they bring up the sequel in a few years and yeah byebye.

Example: Its 2012 and im 20 years old sinking 6-8 hours a day into gw2, im making characters, legendaries etc and account progression cool. I can spend 3-4 years farming and those things are still gonna be relevant for another 10 years plus at least.

Nowadays you get into farming legendaries or whatever progression in gw2, you waste 3-4 years and all the stuff you grinded is gonna be irrelevant in a dead game like GW1 is since ages where you cannot even play most of the game aside going with heroes (much fun...). So whats the actual point in grinding stuff that is not gonna be relevant for at least a decade?

• Like 1
  • Confused 3
  • Sad 1

49 minutes ago, Gehenna.3625 said:

There's a lot more QoL

There's one for the bingo card.

50 minutes ago, Gehenna.3625 said:

you can redo your looks at your heart's content

Because people aren't sitting on hundreds of charges as is, and on the WV they're always listed as trash tier value over that.

• Confused 3

1 minute ago, Izzy.2951 said:

So whats the actual point in grinding stuff that is not gonna be relevant for at least a decade?

The point of playing a game is to have fun.

Since nobody knows (not even Anet, presumably) whether Anet and the GW2 servers (regardless of whether there might be a GW3 at some point or not) will still be around in 5-10 years, it makes little sense to me to worry about it or not want to have fun in the game now because of an undecided future. It's a pastime, not an investment for your retirement.

12 minutes ago, Izzy.2951 said:

If your gonna sink 6-8 hours a day into a game to farm stuff

That sounds more like a job than an entertaining hobby.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 3
  • Confused 2

21 hours ago, Zerin.9834 said:

Pc only has 5000 guild wars 2 players

If you're looking at Steam charts that only counts the people that got the game on Steam, with a peak of 8,252 people playing it simultaneous and right now sitting at 3,096.

It doesn't included the 16,000,0000 copies sold before the Steam release, or the people that to this day buy it outside of Steam.

• Confused 1

24 minutes ago, Dean Calaway.9718 said:

There's one for the bingo card.

Be condescending all you want, but it's still true that with the introduction of the legendary armory it added a lot more QoL to legendary items than legendaries had before; and because of that a lot more people got interested in owning legendaries.

24 minutes ago, Dean Calaway.9718 said:

Because people aren't sitting on hundreds of charges as is, and on the WV they're always listed as trash tier value over that.

No, not everyone and particularly those who enjoy fashion and don't play competitive modes. The game doesn't give a lot of charges when you only play OW PvE for example and because the preview window isn't necessarily representitive of how things will look on your characters, people who are into fashion like myself will spend dozens of charges per change if they can. 

As someone who has over 20 alts and is into fashion wars, I do have hundreds of charges because now I have many legendaries and before that I got them via WvW but I couldn't use them as freely as I can now.

• Like 2

37 minutes ago, Zok.4956 said:

The point of playing a game is to have fun.

Since nobody knows (not even Anet, presumably) whether Anet and the GW2 servers (regardless of whether there might be a GW3 at some point or not) will still be around in 5-10 years, it makes little sense to me to worry about it or not want to have fun in the game now because of an undecided future. It's a pastime, not an investment for your retirement.

That sounds more like a job than an entertaining hobby.

No one sinks 10k+ hours into an online game if its not for grinding stuff and account progression (appart of the fun).

So yeah if you strip all the account progression and make everything irrelevant by releasing a sequel. Theres literally no point in playing gw2, specially if you have tried out everything in the game, and even more if your a new player.

MMORPGS and even all online games are made so you repeat and repeat stuff so you get progression and rewards in a game that is alive and have future ahead. Not just like oh heres a single player game, jump in throw 30 hours and your done.

Edited by Izzy.2951
  • Like 1
  • Confused 5
  • Sad 1

17 minutes ago, Dean Calaway.9718 said:

So what you're saying is getting legendary armor is easier than a couple of hundred of charges... right...

It's mostly about the armor sets when it comes to fashion and yes, especially when you have a lot of characters it's easier to get legendary armor sets than to keep getting lots of charges over and over again. But that's me. Everybody has to make their choice in that. It wasn't the primary reason for me, that was the other point because I have 20+ characters and I'm really glad I got all those legendaries and I definitely love the freedom with which I can keep applying skins.

But I don't understand why you're arguing these points. You have your reasons to get legendary gear and that's a valid reason for you and I have other reasons that are valid for me. All I'm doing is to offer different reasons why people might want legendaries that are valid for them. I mean there's more: there are people who like the prestige of legendaries, there are people who just like making legendaries for the sake of making them and others like to make them because they like the skins and animations that come with them.

And yes, it can be any combination of these but whatever the reason or reasons, as long as it's worth it to you, it's valid. So I really don't get why you're acting like you have the only true reason for everybody. 🤷‍♂️

Edited by Gehenna.3625
  • Like 3
  • Thanks 1
  • Confused 1

1 hour ago, Zerin.9834 said:

I don't see why guild wars 3 wouldn't come to consoles. Arche age 2 is coming to consoles.

Firstly there is no such thing as GW3. It was green lit to be discussed, but not approved to for development. We don't even know what sort of game it might be - an MMO feels incredibly unlikely given the general market for them. It may not even get started or even finished if it does

Secondly. Any appearance is many years away. Prob the end of the decade. No one knows what the state of the console market will be like. Xbox is currently being obliterated with its console barely creeping over 20 million compared to what 60m for PS5 and 140m for Switch? We are a generation or two away from GW3 with no clear picture of the future of hardware

Thirdly, no amount of requesting is likely to increase whether it does or not. Such things are determined by resources, finances and whether their internal data shows it to be viable. People have asked for GW2 since day one to be on consoles. It never happened. 

I am not saying it shouldn't, but this is an early conversation for a mythical product which has already been canned at least once before in the early stages.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 4

Agree. It would be nice if GW3 came to consoles.

Even porting GW2 to console shouldn't be impossible, but it would be a significant undertaking. Besides the work needed to get it to run on the different hardware/OS (probably significant!), the biggest UX hurdles would be:

1. Making the UI readable and navigable from the couch, with a d-pad instead of a mouse
  2. Making a good skill ground-targeting UI
  3. Setting a good default controller mapping

I would probably move to playing on console if it was available. Couch gaming is comfy.

• Confused 1

14 hours ago, Fueki.4753 said:

Wasn't the talk about GW3 just one executive trying to make the franchise look more attractive to shareholders and investors?

That really is little more than a nothingburger to me.

Yes, it was the CFO trying to placate shareholders. The issue is lying to shareholders is something that can get you in hot water (and by that i don't mean just getting fined. In Korea you can actually end up in jail for that). On the other hand, lying to your customers is at most bad PR. And only if you get caught on it, and cannot somehow wave it away with some nicely ambigious PR post.

So, while it is entirely possible that what CFO said was inaccurate, it could only have been because he misunderstood something, not because he tried to make up things on the spot in order to get out of difficult topic. He was too senior of an executive to not know consequences of doing just that. It's also however entirely possible that he was spot on in his reveal, and it was the PR "correction" later that was inaccurate.

Notice, that, either way, Anet has been working on some UE MMORPG game for years already, and looking at the people they were hiring for that project, it was well past the early concept stages. Now, of course, we can't be sure if what was called GW3 and that project are the same thing. Still...

Edited by Astralporing.1957
  • Like 1
  • Confused 5

11 minutes ago, Astralporing.1957 said:

Yes, it was the CFO trying to placate shareholders. The issue is lying to shareholders is something that can get you in hot water (and by that i don't mean just getting fined. In Korea you can actually end up in jail for that). On the other hand, lying to your customers is at most bad PR. And only if you get caught on it, and cannot somehow wave it away with some nicely ambigious PR post.

So, while it is entirely possible that what CFO said was inaccurate, it could only have been because he misunderstood something, not because he tried to make up things on the spot in order to get out of difficult topic. He was too senior of an executive to not know consequences of doing just that.

As far as I know, the entire lying to shareholders can easily be circumvented by having one worker spend half a day of work drawing up ideas for a hypothetical GW3, even if these ideas never bear fruit. After all, from what I remember, the talk was about seeing if such a project could be viable.

And then we have to consider that the translation from Korean to English possibly wasn't accurate to begin with. We've seen with the upcoming Wukong game, that languages (especially highly complicated ones like Korean and Chinese) can easily be interpreted in ways that do not reflect correctly what was actually said.

That said, I'm not implying that there was a nefarious agenda going on when that NCSoft shareholder talk got translated.

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1
  • Confused 1

Just now, Fueki.4753 said:

As far as I know, the entire lying to shareholders can easily be circumvented by having one worker spend half a day of work drawing up ideas for a hypothetical GW3, even if these ideas never bear fruit. After all, from what I remember, the talk was about seeing if such a project could be viable.

Not when what you tell the shareholders is that GW3 is already in production. And that was what CFO said. The "seeing if sucha  project could be viable" thing is the PR department message that was released later (and, unlike previous talk, that message was not meant for shareholders, but to players)

Just now, Fueki.4753 said:

And then we have to consider that the translation from Korean to English possibly wasn't accurate to begin with. We've seen with the upcoming Wukong game, that languages (especially highly complicated ones like Korean and Chinese) can easily be interpreted in ways that do not reflect correctly what was actually said.

That said, I'm not implying that there was a nefarious agenda going on when that NCSoft shareholder talk got translated.

We had access to the original text. Anyone with knowledge of the language could check it out and see for themselves. If it was inaccurate, we'd have heard it mentioned already, but all i have heard from people that claimed to be native korean speakers so far is that this part of the translation was actually very accurate. Not even NCSoft in their later spin on the situation said anything about mistranslation (and you can bet that if there was any inconsistency, they would have brought that up).

And as for Anet's UE MMORPG project, you don't generally try to hire anyone for the sole purpose of planning and managing a simultaneous PC and console market release for a game before that game already passed the confirmation stage hurdle and you're actually very much intending for it to get to that release. And that was already over 3 years ago. Which means that project has been cooking for at least 4-5 years already. Maybe longer.

• Like 1
  • Confused 3

1 hour ago, frazazel.7501 said:

Agree. It would be nice if GW3 came to consoles.

Even porting GW2 to console shouldn't be impossible, but it would be a significant undertaking. Besides the work needed to get it to run on the different hardware/OS (probably significant!), the biggest UX hurdles would be:

1. Making the UI readable and navigable from the couch, with a d-pad instead of a mouse
  2. Making a good skill ground-targeting UI
  3. Setting a good default controller mapping

I would probably move to playing on console if it was available. Couch gaming is comfy.

Nah, actually the biggest hurdle would be having GW3 succeed. And by "succeed" i'm not even talking about doing better than GW2 did - i am merely talking about enough succes for the game to not fold within first few years.

• Confused 2

7 hours ago, Astralporing.1957 said:

We had access to the original text. Anyone with knowledge of the language could check it out and see for themselves. If it was inaccurate, we'd have heard it mentioned already, but all i have heard from people that claimed to be native korean speakers so far is that this part of the translation was actually very accurate. Not even NCSoft in their later spin on the situation said anything about mistranslation (and you can bet that if there was any inconsistency, they would have brought that up).

I don't remember seeing anyone confirming the accuracy, so I just brought it up as a possibility.

Notice, that, either way, Anet has been working on some UE MMORPG game for years already, and looking at the people they were hiring for that project, it was well past the early concept stages. Now, of course, we can't be sure if what was called GW3 and that project are the same thing. Still...

And as for Anet's UE MMORPG project, you don't generally try to hire anyone for the sole purpose of planning and managing a simultaneous PC and console market release for a game before that game already passed the confirmation stage hurdle and you're actually very much intending for it to get to that release. And that was already over 3 years ago. Which means that project has been cooking for at least 4-5 years already. Maybe longer.

NCSoft might also use Arenanet as a support studio for a different franchise.

NCSoft is making both a Horizon MMORPG and Aion 2, so these are possible candidates for such a thought.

Edited by Fueki.4753
  • Like 1
  • Confused 1

1 hour ago, Fueki.4753 said:

NCSoft might also use Arenanet as a support studio for a different franchise.

NCSoft is making both a Horizon MMORPG and Aion 2, so these are possible candidates for such a thought.

The specific hire i mentioned is not something done by a supporting studio though.

• Like 1
  • Confused 1

57 minutes ago, Astralporing.1957 said:

The specific hire i mentioned is not something done by a supporting studio though.

What I meant is that Arenanet might be used as a support studio for another NCSoft game and that Arenanet's hires might have been for that project.

Edited by Fueki.4753
  • Confused 1