Why are Astral Coin Ascended Armor/Weapon Chests Core stats only?

This is silly in order to get half of the stats I have to spend more to alter then in the mystic forge. They're basically fodder now for ascended salvage or research notes. If Strike Vendors sell armor and weapons with selectable stats for new varieties like Ritualist, etc then how is this, something released with EOD (the latest expansion) left behind? 

• Like 2
  • Thanks 2
  • Confused 1
  • Sad 1

Because I presume they're trying to gatekeep these stats from F2P people since they too have access to these selection boxes.

Maybe they could work something out so you get selections from them based on the expansions you own or something.

• Like 3
  • Sad 2

44 minutes ago, ZBoss.5610 said:

This is silly in order to get half of the stats I have to spend more to alter then in the mystic forge. They're basically fodder now for ascended salvage or research notes. If Strike Vendors sell armor and weapons with selectable stats for new varieties like Ritualist, etc then how is this, something released with EOD (the latest expansion) left behind? 

I agree, this is very silly.

• Like 2
  • Confused 2
  • Sad 1

36 minutes ago, jason.1083 said:

Because I presume they're trying to gatekeep these stats from F2P people since they too have access to these selection boxes.

Maybe they could work something out so you get selections from them based on the expansions you own or something.

Ok, then allow more options for those of us whom own the expansions.

• Confused 2
  • Sad 1

10 minutes ago, hellsmachine.4085 said:

To change stats to viper you need to have max crafting. The advantage of getting ascended through wizard's vault is that you don't have to craft, so it defeats the purpose.

You need 400 crafting for the insignia/weapon version to stat swap. That's a max of ~30g to level if you do the Fast Guide from gw2crafts.

• Like 6
  • Confused 1

5 minutes ago, hellsmachine.4085 said:

Ok, it's still a pita for those like me who don't want to craft. 

That might be a personal issue then, mate. You're kneecapping yourself in a lot of ways by not leveling a craft to 400 (takes less than an hour with the fast guides), especially when it comes to ascended/legendary stuff. 

• Like 7
  • Confused 2

11 minutes ago, QueenKeriti.5176 said:

That might be a personal issue then, mate. You're kneecapping yourself in a lot of ways by not leveling a craft to 400 (takes less than an hour with the fast guides), especially when it comes to ascended/legendary stuff. 

I play this game for the combat, I don't want to dedicate an hour alt tabbing, looking at the wiki, buying mats, clicking through menus etc... it's weird that you would defend something that is such an easy change for anet, that would greatly improve the game for players like me.

Crafting being the only viable way to get ascended made me originally quit the game, I came back and stayed when I found out I can get ascended by just playing the game. The combat system is the best part of this game, I want more of it, not less of it.

Edited by hellsmachine.4085
  • Like 5
  • Haha 2
  • Confused 8
  • Sad 1

It seems obvious to me that they only use core stats because these are not legendary items and you have to own the expansion for to get access to other stats at all. It's a one-size-fits-all solution and you can complain about that but I suspect that it was too tricky for them to make them work like legendary gear.

5 hours ago, hellsmachine.4085 said:

it's weird that you would defend something that is such an easy change for anet, that would greatly improve the game for players like me.

I'm not so sure that it's that easy but if it is, then they would have different reasons to do this. Then they would purposefully do this. Perhaps they feel that this ascended gear is just to get people started and not to supply people who've played the game for a while and have expansions to bypass the current status too easily.

And as said, you only need to get one crafting skill up to 400 which is just about an hour of work. And once you've done this you will benefit from this for the rest of the time you play this game. I get not liking something but it's not like you have to play a competitive mode for a week or more to get a Gift of Battle, for example. It's weird that you would defend something that is such an easy change for you, that would greatly improve the game for players like you.

• Like 1
  • Sad 1

4 minutes ago, Gehenna.3625 said:

It seems obvious to me that they only use core stats because these are not legendary items and you have to own the expansion for to get access to other stats at all. It's a one-size-fits-all solution and you can complain about that but I suspect that it was too tricky for them to make them work like legendary gear.

I'm not so sure that it's that easy but if it is, then they would have different reasons to do this. Then they would purposefully do this. Perhaps they feel that this ascended gear is just to get people started and not to supply people who've played the game for a while and have expansions to bypass the current status too easily.

And as said, you only need to get one crafting skill up to 400 which is just about an hour of work. And once you've done this you will benefit from this for the rest of the time you play this game. I get not liking something but it's not like you have to play a competitive mode for a week or more to get a Gift of Battle, for example. It's weird that you would defend something that is such an easy change for you, that would greatly improve the game for players like you.

Actually it's at least 2 crafting professions, because of weapon. I don't play games to do tasks I hate. And I absolutely hate the GW2 crafting system more than anything. I tried leveling weaponsmith I think I got to about level 100 before I wanted to uninstall the game. Thankfully I now have full ascended gear without crafting a thing. However I don't see why condi builds have to have it so much harder.

• Like 2
  • Confused 4
  • Sad 1

41 minutes ago, hellsmachine.4085 said:

Actually it's at least 2 crafting professions, because of weapon. I don't play games to do tasks I hate. And I absolutely hate the GW2 crafting system more than anything. I tried leveling weaponsmith I think I got to about level 100 before I wanted to uninstall the game. Thankfully I now have full ascended gear without crafting a thing. However I don't see why condi builds have to have it so much harder.

You only have to craft the insignia so you only need to level 1 crafting profession because they get access to all insignias [edit: I was completely wrong here but leave it uncorrected for context]. The rest is done in the mystic toilet.

And it just so happens that the best stat combinations for condition damage builds came out with the expansions. It's just that simple. But the same goes for Marauder gear, which is quite popular as well, for example. Did Celestial gear come out with HoT? I can't remember. Anyways, point is that I believe that the WV is about players in general and not the niche group of raiders.

Edited by Gehenna.3625

7 minutes ago, Gehenna.3625 said:

You only have to craft the insignia so you only need to level 1 crafting profession because they get access to all insignias. The rest is done in the mystic toilet.

And it just so happens that the best stat combinations for condition damage builds came out with the expansions. It's just that simple. But the same goes for Marauder gear, which is quite popular as well, for example. Did Celestial gear come out with HoT? I can't remember. Anyways, point is that I believe that the WV is about players in general and not the niche group of raiders.

You can't use insignia for weapon. Weapons need inscriptions. So he's not wrong that 2 crafting professions are required if you want to stat swap ascended weapons and armor pieces.

• Like 2

7 minutes ago, Gehenna.3625 said:

You only have to craft the insignia so you only need to level 1 crafting profession because they get access to all insignias. The rest is done in the mystic toilet.

Insignia for armour and inscription for weapon. Can you craft an inscription with armour crafting? I don't know, as I don't craft.

• Confused 2

20 minutes ago, Chyro.1462 said:

You can't use insignia for weapon. Weapons need inscriptions. So he's not wrong that 2 crafting professions are required if you want to stat swap ascended weapons and armor pieces.

yeah I mixed those up thanks for correcting me, I was thinking weapons only but you're right. It would take 2 to get everything covered. My bad.

• Like 1

22 minutes ago, hellsmachine.4085 said:

Insignia for armour and inscription for weapon. Can you craft an inscription with armour crafting? I don't know, as I don't craft.

Yeah I was wrong in that. I was just thinking weapons and then compounded the mistake with another one...oh well, like I said: my bad

9 minutes ago, Gehenna.3625 said:

Yeah I was wrong in that. I was just thinking weapons and then compounded the mistake with another one...oh well, like I said: my bad

All good, we all make mistakes. Back to the original topic, it would be very nice to add all stats to the wizard vault ascended items even if it means that the stats are locked behind the expansions. Condi builds really get punished in this game and it shouldn't be this way. I've got nothing more to say on this matter.

• Like 1
  • Sad 1

8 hours ago, jason.1083 said:

There's that funny system that allows them to lock stat selections to only owned content. They might have forgotten they have it once again.

• Like 1
  • Confused 3

Probably because it's another type of "catch up" element for new players that soto introduced and not something that's intended to be the main source of your ascended gear. I don't see how changing stats in mystic forge is supposed to be a huge deal at all.

• Like 5

I'm pretty sure the Ascended weapon chest option has all stat choices, doesn't it?  I remember I got Celestial weapons from it.  If so, it's not that they don't want to give these stat options to players on their armor.  It looks to me more like they forgot to.

• Confused 2

Don't rely on the ascended chests for ascended gear. It's a trick. Buy everything else, sell it, max crafting, and craft the weapons/armor yourself. It'll be worth it, and this will be the only time you need to do it. The entire journey costs as much as 1-2 pieces of ascended, and you can always sell the products or get research notes out of them to get back a bit of your money.

Some other helpful tips for new players:

Crafting is the only viable way to get ascended armor and weapons fast. Everything else is too slow and unreliable. You can get enough gold for a full set of ascended armor/weapons in less than a week of playing if you really put your mind to it. Hell, I make enough gold for 1 piece just doing a couple metas every morning.
For accessories:  When starting out, Living Story Season 3 and 4 are really good, Icebrood Saga is decent if you can do some achievements and masteries. It will probably take you a couple metas + gathering the nodes in the map for a few days to get 1 piece of that map's currency. Bitterfrost frontier is probably the easiest and most solo-friendly area. Doing fractals will also consistently get you ascended + infused accessories and materials to buy more, but you need ascended gear to do higher tiers.

That said, if you DO get a chest, you can always stat-swap to your desired stats for a fraction of the price. Look up stat swapping recipes on the wiki. Also don't buy recipes for Harrier gear: they cost 40g, when you can just craft some other stat combination, craft the Harrier insigna, and stat-swap.

Edited by Player.2475
  • Like 2
  • Confused 1

Have you considered WvW and strikes for your ascended weapons? Perhaps even go after legendaries (purchased outright for gen 1 and 3 weapons)? If you really like the combat system(s) here (as I do) then having stat switching on the fly is very nice. Up to you. 

For what its worth, I detest crafting in MMOs and have found GW2's version to be particularly awful. I refused, for years, to engage with it after giving it a shot at launch. In the end I was convinced to follow a guide and quickly level up a few crafting professions because I had acquired pretty much all of the materials needed for two full sets of legendary armor just by playing and, as my wife put it, "don't be that stubborn (insert alternate word for donkey here) I know you are being right now!" As she said, I was cutting off my nose to spite my face by not setting aside a few hours over the course of a month to just get it done so that I could enjoy the game much much more.

I am not saying that you will enjoy the crafting process. Nor the process of leveling your crafting profession. I am saying that getting it done will open up the possibilities of having vastly more fun with the game.

Edited by Ashen.2907
  • Like 2
  • Confused 1
  • Sad 1

2 hours ago, fourhim.3584 said:

I'm pretty sure the Ascended weapon chest option has all stat choices, doesn't it?  I remember I got Celestial weapons from it.  If so, it's not that they don't want to give these stat options to players on their armor.  It looks to me more like they forgot to.

Celestial stats are still part of the Core stat set.

• Like 3
  • Confused 1