You guys also speedrunning the story and skipping everything?

Hey guys, in the sense of what type of gamer I am, I like to farm things and grind stuff really fast. I like to increase inventory wealth and get fancy ranks or achievements. This game is pretty good. I was just wondering if anyone else also skips all dialogue in all of the stories and DLC and just finishes it as fast as possible. You know I actually am interested in the story but I can't bear to concentrate while in-game on what anyone has to say, because reading in videogames isn't really what you wanna do, especially if they talk so goddamn slow.

I would be way more interested if there was like a full story inside of a book, like a guild wars 2 novel that includes the entire story + dlcs. I found a summary of the story in a YouTube video but it's not quite satisfying. So are you guys also speedrunning the story because it drags on slowly and everyone's talking with 3 second pauses between characters. I wish there really was a Guild Wars 2 novel that includes all DLCs and everything.

• Like 1
  • Confused 4
  • Sad 1

You will never get a novelisation of the game since it has no end, although there are 3 pre-game novels you can find which set up events beforehand

I don't really understand the need to speedrun and skip, but the wiki will have the story and the dialogue in sections if you want to follow it that way for every episode 

• Like 6

But Wiki is boring.

I skipped most of SotO because it's not finished and I couldn't wait between stories and still want the whole story... so I just skip the stories and play through it later when I've forgotten most of what little I know xD
Of course, I got enough of the parts I needed to play.

The previous rest is a mix of skipping and not skipping. I skipped a lot of HoT. I didn't connect with the characters, I didn't know anyone except Rytlock, so I didn't care, and besides, they talk and talk and talk and talk and....

If someone made a video telling all the important parts of the story, that would be nice.

When I play, I want to play, not watch videos or read novels.

The like 3rd play-through the core story, I took time to do it slowly, no skipping. But I planned it that way. Then I can enjoy it. And I did enjoy it.

1 hour ago, Randulf.7614 said:

You will never get a novelisation of the game since it has no end

The dragon saga started with the core story and ended with EoD.

Edited by Lucy.3728
  • Confused 4

3 hours ago, Soren.9502 said:

Hey guys, in the sense of what type of gamer I am, I like to farm things and grind stuff really fast. I like to increase inventory wealth and get fancy ranks or achievements. This game is pretty good. I was just wondering if anyone else also skips all dialogue in all of the stories and DLC and just finishes it as fast as possible. You know I actually am interested in the story but I can't bear to concentrate while in-game on what anyone has to say, because reading in videogames isn't really what you wanna do, especially if they talk so goddamn slow.

I would be way more interested if there was like a full story inside of a book, like a guild wars 2 novel that includes the entire story + dlcs. I found a summary of the story in a YouTube video but it's not quite satisfying. So are you guys also speedrunning the story because it drags on slowly and everyone's talking with 3 second pauses between characters. I wish there really was a Guild Wars 2 novel that includes all DLCs and everything.

Personally, not really, I've actually been trying to get 100% achievements from all the story which means I do it a lot, and many times over.

Interestingly enough you say  you want achievements but don't want to so story, even though there's tons of story related achievements. 

• Like 4
  • Sad 1

I skip content i already did on 1st character? Like each time i play alt, there is some dialogue i can skip i do, however if there is a different combination  of origin i do not skip as this is new content. Also i sometimes take my sweet time with proceeding story, so i havent finished main story yet, and there are some liwing world awaiting. Just more in mood for chill meta event.

Teleport to the friend is great item, as it allows to teleport to new map without story interaction, just need to find lfg with bounty hunting or local meta.

Edited by evilcat.6817
  • Like 1
  • Confused 2

Story is an intricate part of this game. What you see in the world maps is reflected in the story and vice versa. If you skip that part it would probaly leave you with a lackluster experience.

For most mmo ofcourse good Endgame is important, but its also about the whole journey towards that.

2nd and 3rd playthrough is a diffrent matter; you know what to expect so skipping stuff to reach the 1st playthrough mark faster is logical.

It might feel like a drag at times, but how is it diffrent from 2 hour movie or book wich tells a story? The GW2 story is still told in an interactive manner suitable for a videogame: you explore both the story and the world of tyria on your adventures, wich can also lead to interesting rewards/loot.

It all comes down to if the story itself interests you. A captivating Story is really important to keep you invested into a Story. 

If you only play mmo for the shortest route to the endgame then no amount of story(how good it may be, wont ever entertain you) and thats fine too; But you not only paid for the endgame but also for the Story so it would be a little waste of your purchase?

Alot of Single Player games have a big story as their foundation. Initially you arent getting such games for the grinding or endgame but more for the total package; who is this mysterious hero, what is this adventure she/he embarks on, oh yes and the gameplay looks cool and nice endgame...) 

This is a ARPG with MMO elements; so Anet gave the story alot of attention and to make it believable that you... the player(commander) has a important part to play in the world of Tyria. Most the dialog is also voiceover wich adds to the exposition time. The story bits play out like a movie scenario, it has a buildup, with drama, pacing, etc.  

But ultimately its up to you; play how you wanna play.

• Like 5
  • Sad 1

Nope, I like the story. Plus you can get a ton of achievements from it. I fast forward the parts that i dont like - like the death of some characters, but overall gw2 has a pretty nice lore. Try and take your time - maybe it will grow on you.

• Like 1
  • Confused 1

If I wasn't interested in the story at some level, I'm not even sure I'd even get started in the game despite knowing something further on (crafting/eco/raids/metas/PvP) was the peak spotlight of any MMO's focus. I am only willing to skip so much before I can turn around and find a game where I DON'T have to skip every cutscene or dialog option and still get what I'm looking for. There should never be any rush to "The endgame" unless you are planning to make content obsolete... and if your development team has put in hours (or years) of hard work to create that content, abandoning it 5 years later is just a waste of resources and personnel. 

• Like 1
  • Confused 1
  • Sad 1

@op its a modern problem, you see it a lot with kids who really struggle to concentrate when reading.  With regards to the Guild wars universe there are books which gives a good background  (linked below)

In short this is a cultural thing, and its a shame as you can see people treating the games as a bunch of mechanics and systems to chew through without allowing themselves to be immersed, or even understand what that means!

https://www.guildwars2.com/en/shop/guild-wars-2-novels/ 

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1
  • Confused 1
  • Sad 1

Especially when I play the first time, I will go slower through the story and interact with all that can be (like talking with each NPC) as many times those will also be achievements. Second time through, I'll probably double check what achievements are for that part of the story and try to attempt those, but skipping happens more at that point since I don't need to listen to each NPC again. Unless it is down the line and has been a while, then might go through those.

But yes, sometimes I won't read what NPCs say if I have my character chat with them and just try to get to the point of merchant or possible achievement, or unlocking achievement quest.

• Like 1

Guidl Wars 2 story never really interrested me so much compared to story driven single player games

I played Detroit Become Human recently and immersed myself in the story, think I read almost every piece of dialogue (magazines etc)

So it's not that I don't like stories in video games. 

But when I launch an MMORPG it's just not my priority

I have no problem getting immersed into the game

The world, music, atmosphere, sound design (ambience) ... All this is top notch in GW2

Edited by jokke.6239

On 4/1/2024 at 5:35 PM, Soren.9502 said:

, because reading in videogames isn't really what you wanna do, especially if they talk so goddamn slow.

Depends on the game. I can think of plenty of games where reading the in-game stuff is what makes the game immersive. The e-mails in Deus Ex is a good example.

On 4/1/2024 at 5:35 PM, Soren.9502 said:

I would be way more interested if there was like a full story inside of a book, like a guild wars 2 novel that includes the entire story + dlcs. 

There are three officially licensed novels on Guild Wars 2 that are also listed on the website. But they are more of background lore on events and the world and less of a "this is what happens in the game" type novels.

• Confused 1

23 hours ago, Bladestrom.6425 said:

@op its a modern problem, you see it a lot with kids who really struggle to concentrate when reading.  With regards to the Guild wars universe there are books which gives a good background  (linked below)

In short this is a cultural thing, and its a shame as you can see people treating the games as a bunch of mechanics and systems to chew through without allowing themselves to be immersed, or even understand what that means!

https://www.guildwars2.com/en/shop/guild-wars-2-novels/ 

I agree 100%. The joy of reading has been bled out of our culture, and it has serious implications in general. But even if you look just at the games themselves, the lore is a core part of the medium. Video games, over other forms of entertainment, are special because they engage multiple cognitive faculties, and combine more than one modality. The music, the visuals, the story-telling are all equally important parts, and they are really what makes the mechanics make sense (or not)! I personally have nothing against achievements, and even enjoy them in some cases. Same for mastering the mechanics. But without the associated things that make immersion in the game's world possible and rewarding I see no reason to master any mechanics. 

Edited by Bul Kathos.3867
  • Like 1
  • Sad 1

On 4/3/2024 at 4:38 PM, Bul Kathos.3867 said:

I agree 100%. The joy of reading has been bled out of our culture, and it has serious implications in general. But even if you look just at the games themselves, the lore is a core part of the medium. Video games, over other forms of entertainment, are special because they engage multiple cognitive faculties, and combine more than one modality. The music, the visuals, the story-telling are all equally important parts, and they are really what makes the mechanics make sense (or not)! I personally have nothing against achievements, and even enjoy them in some cases. Same for mastering the mechanics. But without the associated things that make immersion in the game's world possible and rewarding I see no reason to master any mechanics. 

yep, its like the great books, for e.g LOTR. LOTR is a long  book to read and has long passages interspersed with exciting moments that we all love, like when gandalf dies in the mines etc.   Now if you skim LOTR you lose the world building and engagement with the characters.  Same deal with MMRPGs.

• Like 1

If what you want to do is read a summary of it all, the ingame story journal has a written synopsis for every step you've completed. The wiki has it too (along with the actual dialogue transcripts) if you don't want to read in the game itself.