What happened to Elder wood?

30c a piece.  I guess no one is working on nevermore still.... Mats in general seem really cheap. So much so that the small number of blues I Id'd didn't pay for themselves after salvaging. I'm guessing if I had better luck on the ID phase it would have been okay, but given what I salvaged it would have been more profitable to vend. 

Edited by Firebeard.1746
  • Confused 1
  • Sad 1

It's one of the most readily available materials in the game, like mithril. People keep farming it without anything worth using it for, so naturally it goes down in value. Classic supply Vs demand example. 

You could save your wood for buying zephyrite boxes at the next festival of the four farts event in the summer if you want to have a chance at some useful loot.

Edited by Tiamat.8254
Additional information
  • Like 2

11 minutes ago, Tiamat.8254 said:

It's one of the most readily available materials in the game, like mithril. People keep farming it without anything with using it for, so naturally it goes down in value. Classic supply Vs demand example. 

You could save your wood for buying zephyrite boxes at the next festival of the four farts event in the summer if you want to have a chance at some useful loot.

It always is a supply vs demand issue but it is odd that elder wood is about half the price of mithril ore these days, particularly because mithril is also everywhere in high level zones and it takes only 2 ore to create an ingot, but it takes 3 elder wood to create a plank.

So I think the question really is what happened to the supply vs demand situation of elder wood compared to mithril ore.

• Like 2

Before Soto, mithril and wood stacks were around 1g. Soto related items require massive amounts of research notes and mithril is the number one component to get those, hence the price spike. 

Why elder wood tanked? I can only speculate, but it's likely most players decided to go for Obsidian armor, legendary Relic, etc that requires research notes. Elder wood sinks like Gen2 weapons are not as popular right now.

• Like 3

I'm not going for ow armour so dont really know which mats are needed and Im only speculating.

But I would guess mithril and silk because those spiked, especially mithrill.

And wood dropped. Dont know why t5 leather is low though.

Im glad because I just made Nevermore. In the end it doesnt really matter. Some went up, some down. If you plan to go for some t2 leggies that require a crazy amount of predominantly wood, its a good time to do it.

• Like 1
  • Confused 1

10 hours ago, Gehenna.3625 said:

It always is a supply vs demand issue but it is odd that elder wood is about half the price of mithril ore these days, particularly because mithril is also everywhere in high level zones and it takes only 2 ore to create an ingot, but it takes 3 elder wood to create a plank.

So I think the question really is what happened to the supply vs demand situation of elder wood compared to mithril ore.

all cheapest research notes utilizing craft(jewelry or armor) use mithril.

Edited by ugrakarma.9416
  • Like 2

19 hours ago, Gehenna.3625 said:

mithirl is getting eatten up to make legendary armor.  with no legendary weapons in high demand, wood has a chance to stock pile.  

Now would be a good time to consider processing curios for gen 2 legendaries if you plan on getting one   

• Like 1

4 hours ago, starlinvf.1358 said:

mithirl is getting eatten up to make legendary armor.  with no legendary weapons in high demand, wood has a chance to stock pile.  

Now would be a good time to consider processing curios for gen 2 legendaries if you plan on getting one   

Yeah I just did that part for my current project (working on Astralaria now). I also finished the Binding of Ipos before this and that's when I noticed the prices of wood being really low already. But thanks for highlighting this for me just the same. I do appreciate it 🙂 

On 4/14/2024 at 10:41 PM, Firebeard.1746 said:

30c a piece.  I guess no one is working on nevermore still.... Mats in general seem really cheap. So much so that the small number of blues I Id'd didn't pay for themselves after salvaging. I'm guessing if I had better luck on the ID phase it would have been okay, but given what I salvaged it would have been more profitable to vend. 

What retained prices on elder wood and mithril was Gen 2 legendaries regularly releasing. When Gen 3 was revealed to use barely any of that, prices began to plummet.

Edited by Eloc Freidon.5692