Which race and gender combination for thief?

YVictory.6840

Hi all,

I'm making a new thief character and having trouble choosing the race and gender. I'm considering two options: a human female or a Sylvari male. As someone who goes deep into RP, I need the right combination. I have characters from both races, and I like the armor combinations I was able to create for the two—a human street rat assassin who would become a master of shadow magic (specter), a noble avenger assassin creed-type Sylvari, and a future deadeye. I'm adding pictures of their potential looks. What would you suggest? 

Thanks in advance.

https://imgur.com/toIGCRU

https://imgur.com/ILvlvZL

I was a male sylvari thief main for nearly 10 years before changing to male charr. Any race can work tbh, my sylvari I was told looked more like a warrior than a thief and my charr looks goofy, I have a fairly silly sense of humor tho so the /surprised etc emotes on male char just fit my personality better. I actually found I was using outfits more often than not on my sylvari which is one of the reasons I wanted to change. 

Edit: First pic below is my current look, second more armoured looks is a look I've had since vanilla on various charr characters. Like I say, just gotta find something you like and roll with it. 

https://imgur.com/a/fhmG5mU

Edited by Jugglemonkey.8741

• 5 weeks later...
Posted (edited)
20 minutes ago, Mic.1897 said:

Charr is the only playable race that makes sense for any class. It is the ultimate.

I will never forgive Charr what they did to Ascalon, nor will I ever forget it, thus I will never make a Charr. They might be on our side in GW2 but wait until GW3 for big human comeback! >:c

Edited by Frozey.8513
  • Like 1
  • Confused 3

Aesthetic choices - and race/gender in GW2 is mostly aesthetic - are always going to be a bit subjective.

Of the two, I personally prefer the male sylvari look, as the female human's gear looks a bit lopsided to my eye: going with a bare midriff with bulky shoulders, gloves, and boots exudes 'just stab me now' energy (you can get away with showing skin if the ensemble as a whole looks like it's going for minimum weight and maximum flexibility, but there's little point to having real armour on your limbs if your center of mass is exposed). The sylvari male's gear, however, is more self-consistent.

YMMV, however.

• Confused 1

Posted (edited)
On 4/18/2024 at 8:20 AM, YVictory.6840 said:

Hi all,

I'm making a new thief character and having trouble choosing the race and gender. I'm considering two options: a human female or a Sylvari male. As someone who goes deep into RP, I need the right combination. I have characters from both races, and I like the armor combinations I was able to create for the two—a human street rat assassin who would become a master of shadow magic (specter), a noble avenger assassin creed-type Sylvari, and a future deadeye. I'm adding pictures of their potential looks. What would you suggest? 

Thanks in advance.

https://imgur.com/toIGCRU

https://imgur.com/ILvlvZL

Female Human imo, but its really chosen so much by a ton of people so perhaps a male Sylvari would be better.

Also take a look the medium armor cultural sets.

Personally I wish I had made a short norn female thief. I main thief and chose a short human (at launch). If I ever make a 2nd thief it will be a short female norn.

Edited by ZeroTheRuler.7415
  • Confused 1

On 5/19/2024 at 6:08 PM, Frozey.8513 said:

I will never forgive Charr what they did to Ascalon, nor will I ever forget it, thus I will never make a Charr. They might be on our side in GW2 but wait until GW3 for big human comeback! >:c

Leave the ghosts in Ascalon and come visit the cool metal sphere fortress. 

Posted (edited)

Female human, sneaktheif armour, and dagger/pistol with a shortbow are mandatory for each and every single theif character.

Irony aside, I suggest you go with the Sylvari because theif has good synergy with those racial skills (grasping vines triggers panic strike 6 times, take root and seed turrets can have venom stacks shared to them, take root is especially useful in wvw combined with shadow refuge if you wish to roam in that game mode.)

Summon Sylvan Hound also lets you have the best pet with you without even having to play ranger.

Apart from skills, Sylvari are also prettier in my opinion, as they glow in the dark and look cool. Just look at Caithe for an example.

As a 2nd option, I would also like to suggest a ash legion char because it fits right in lore wise, and they have cool looking skill animations. Malice Swordshadow is a good example of a char Thief. Before you decide on that, it would be worth noting that a large amount of char armor still clips in weird ways, some of their headpieces have neck guards incorporated in them and look totally different than other races, their claws almost always get out of boots, and they have tails that are always out of armor and interact with many outfits, but with very little armor pieces in the way they look.

p.s., as an added bonus, if you are a char ash legion theif, and chose the order of whispers,

Spoiler

it makes losing tybalt extra painful.

and you know you're gonna chose the order of whispers with a char theif, so be careful

Edited by vardeleanu.8972

11 hours ago, vardeleanu.8972 said:

p.s., as an added bonus, if you are a char ash legion theif, and chose the order of whispers,

Reveal hidden contents

it makes losing tybalt extra painful.

and you know you're gonna chose the order of whispers with a char theif, so be careful

Unless Malice wants an agent in the Priory or another agent in the Vigil.

• Like 1

If you have different espec and RP stories in mind… why not just make both? I know I would, and I have in fact… I’ve got a Sylvari Spectre who developed a knack for shadow magic being born in the cycle of night, though she just wants to protect those around her… A human daredevil who was raised in a life of nobility but she never felt it was the right life for her, and she’s seen the corruption of nobles from within… and a Charr Deadeye who’s just obsessed with firearms.

On 6/3/2024 at 6:13 AM, Panda.1967 said:

If you have different espec and RP stories in mind… why not just make both? I know I would, and I have in fact… I’ve got a Sylvari Spectre who developed a knack for shadow magic being born in the cycle of night, though she just wants to protect those around her… A human daredevil who was raised in a life of nobility but she never felt it was the right life for her, and she’s seen the corruption of nobles from within… and a Charr Deadeye who’s just obsessed with firearms.

Worth observing that there's plenty of precedent for thieves among the nobility. Orrian Nobles were basically using spectre wells years before we could...

8 minutes ago, Teknomancer.4895 said:

For that matter look at the LA Captain's Council, most if not all are former pirates and now they're running the most important city in the world. 🤷‍♂️

Oh, yeah, I was just picking one example that everyone's probably encountered and I always thought were thieves despite thieves not having a comparable 'teleport and drop a damaging well at the destination' skill... until they did. I think both of the Beetlestones are thieves as well, and I have a sneaking feeling there are others.

Strictly speaking, though, pirates don't have to be thieves, and I don't think we've seen most of the Council fighting apart from Magni and Kiel, which I think are both Warriors.