Is it safe to always salvage gear?

Sometimes I notice some exotic gear can sell for dozens or hundreds of gold. I always check TP price before salvaging. But how about rares? Even blues or greens? We can always salvage without any risk of it having profit? I saw in TP yellow gear with high prices, I don't know if they can be droppable... Cause now it's easy to right click the salvage tool, salvage all yellows. Maybe it's safe and intended to do that always?

• Like 1
  • Confused 1

Posted (edited)

Yellow/green/blue gear with very high prices are almost certainly old items or sourced from somewhere other than Unid bags. High priced exotics are usually exclusive drops from somewhere, but there is a miniscule chance to drop a high priced one from unid. So rare to be neglible to be honest.

If you want money, sell your bags. If you want instant materials, just salvage (usually what I do). No point micro managing loot to maximum efficiency. It's just madness that way

So yes, perfectly fine to salvage everything. if you are really, really desp to play it safe, open the yellow bags first and then salvage them. You "might" get an exotic on the way

Edited by Randulf.7614
  • Like 4
  • Thanks 1
  • Confused 1

If you have to salvage stuff, then yes — white/blue/green and yellow stuff is 100% safe for salvage. Only Exotics are worth checking on TP,  because there's always chance to get something more valuable than 3 ectos.

You can even buy gemstore salvage kits and make profit out of salvaging blue/green unid gear, but first you have to spend 100s of gold.

• Like 2

Pretty much what @Randulf.7614 said; Rare/yellow items usually correlate to the Ecto price on the TP. If you spot a Rare item that is significantly more expensive, it has a skin that is not that common, needed for a collection etc. Exotic/orange items correlate to the Ecto price and are influenced by the sigil/rune that is in the item and could potentially sell separately. with legendary runes and sigils getting more and more common over time, the price of runes and sigils goes down as well. If you have unidentified bags, it most likely is best to open them first, should you have a high Magic Find stat, because blue bags giving green items and green bags having a chance for rare/yellow items isn't too bad.

• Like 2

Posted (edited)

If you are starting out, yellow or orange greatswords sell for more on the tp than most equipment of the same rarity.  People still fling 4 rare/exotic greatswords into the mystic forge hopeing to get the precursors for Dawn and Dusk. 

PS: There is a set of rare tier armor obtained during the End of Dragons story quest.  I think you earn it piece by piece as you finish chapters.  Apparently at the end there is a vendor who lets you exchange that armor for better looking exotic versions.  A bunch of players were pissed off because they had already salvaged the quest reward armor pieces by that point.  They had to go and buy new armor pieces inorder to trade them to the vendor for the exotic versions.  I am not sure if there is other quest reward equipment that does this.

Edited by Zebulous.2934
  • Like 1

I normally just salvage any type of gear without question. The other day I had a drop which I would normally just salvage. I think it was because it had a single name like 'Brain Killer' that made me think (just made that name up to highlight what I'm getting at) so I checked it on the TP.  It was worth +300 in gold. OK, first time in 6 years of playing but sometimes it is worth checking. I have now adopted a policy of identifying everything before I salvage. Just in case!

Since the ecto price rasied (with SotO I think) I salvage everything below exotic without checking. Exotic I often sell when the price is above 45 silver because my ecto luck with oranges is bad.

• Confused 1

• 3 weeks later...

You can open the TP, go to the sell page, sort by more expensive and check your entire inventory that way for anything good instead of right click > sell one by one to check it.

You also need to pay attention to the buy and sell price, here's some more trading tips...

For example, some Heart Quest items can be tradable, and because you can only get them before you finish the Heart and most people don't know you can sell them they're exceedingly rare and there for "valuable" so why, you may wonder, would someone pay 8 silver a piece for items you can't do anything with other than give them to an NPC to finish a particular Heart... ? Because they don't know any better, and third party websites flag these items as high profit because there's a big gap between buy and sell price.

Same thing with some crafted-only mid level gear which can be over a gold coin per item, before you convince yourself you found a pot of gold and start crafting these items to sell like there's no tomorrow make sure if people are actually buying them, other wise you'll just end up with a lot of listen items and money tied up.

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...
6 minutes ago, Celthon.6284 said:

What does the phrase "...ecto price..." mean?  Saw it used in several replies in this thread.  Thank you for your time and assistance.

It's the value of Globs of Ectoplasm.

They only come from salvaging rare and exotic equipment and they're needed for a lot of things so they're worth a lot compared to other crafting materials, meaning most of the profit you'll make by salvaging rares and exotics will come from them.

• Like 2

1 minute ago, Danikat.8537 said:

It's the value of Globs of Ectoplasm.

They only come from salvaging rare and exotic equipment and they're needed for a lot of things so they're worth a lot compared to other crafting materials, meaning most of the profit you'll make by salvaging rares and exotics will come from them.

Thank you.  Lot of abbreviations/slang used around this game to learn.