Expac 5 Speculation

Poormany.4507

Posted (edited)

Just watched the new teaser video and I'm unsure where that is we're going and/or who we'll be dealing with. Based on the teasers in SotO, bog image, and this preview, my guess is Woodland Cascades (The area above Divinity's reach) and Janthir. However, the architecture doesn't seem familiar to anything we've seen in GW1 or GW2 (Looks like some kind of mix of Asuran and Norn styles???) Any speculation? Either way, I'm definitely looking forward to going there!

Edited by Poormany.4507

Woodland Cascades is for sure the leading guess right now. The assets and color palette are heavily reminiscent of drizzlewood coast. It also puts us in the perfect spot to tackle all of the major loose narrative threads out of SotO (Mursaat stuff, Sad Kodan Granny, perhaps human politics and repercussions from Mabon's death).

We also get the spear that certainly seems Kodan themed. Bear face on the blade socket and a big bear paw on the base.

The buildings look Shiverpeak-themed, but with an interesting multi-color design on them. Could be Norn, but I won't commit to that possibility just yet.

We know we'll still be dealing with the Astral Ward and Wizard's Court in some capacity. We also know that an Eye of Janthir witnessed the death of Eparch and Peitha claiming the Kryptis throne.

The only question left in my mind as far as general direction for the expac is whether we head West from the Woodland Cascades and do Janthir stuff or go North/Northeast and focus on the aftermath of Jormag, the Norn and our Norn allies, and maybe Kodan things.

Janthir is way more telegraphed from the ending of the Nayos arc, but it could also be that the narrative team is getting ambitious and thinking more than one expansion ahead with their teasing? Who knows. We'll find out next week, I guess.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1
  • Confused 1

Posted (edited)

And also I forgot, the lowest building in the image has these crimson red flags that do scream Kodan to me.

And I don't know how to share images on here, so I just put a reference image of Kodan flags from the live game in a tweet:

Anyway...

Edited by mandala.8507
adding context
  • Thanks 1
  • Confused 1

5 hours ago, mandala.8507 said:

The only question left in my mind as far as general direction for the expac is whether we head West from the Woodland Cascades and do Janthir stuff or go North/Northeast and focus on the aftermath of Jormag, the Norn and our Norn allies, and maybe Kodan things.

The expansions name is already trademarked as "Janthir Wilds".

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

I am on the side saying it is going to be a Mursaat focus expansion. 

There are too many teasers for it in SotO since this expansion's release.

The only question remains is who or what will be the antagonist since the teaser was more focus on the Mursaat city being the home of all the Good/Neutral Mursaat and the Evil Mursaat we known since GW1 are exiles from their society so all the evil Mursaat are basically dead.

17 hours ago, Poormany.4507 said:

Just watched the new teaser video and I'm unsure where that is we're going and/or who we'll be dealing with. Based on the teasers in SotO, bog image, and this preview, my guess is Woodland Cascades (The area above Divinity's reach) and Janthir. However, the architecture doesn't seem familiar to anything we've seen in GW1 or GW2 (Looks like some kind of mix of Asuran and Norn styles???) Any speculation? Either way, I'm definitely looking forward to going there!

Woodland Cascades and Janthir is the main speculation atm across the board due to the Eye of Janthir and the glowing mursaat statue in the final patch. But also because of the discovered copyright name: Janthir Wilds.

As for the architecture, it appears to be inspired by Polynesian design, which is indeed new to Guild Wars. There are elements similar to old GW1 Krytan like the thatched roofing, but otherwise appears overall brand new.

I'm looking to compile a list of things we know + loose threads from SotO that could be tied in, in the coming days. But off the top of my head, most things point to north of Kryta, indeed.

Wonder if we'll get there via the Brisban Bridge, Divinity's Reach, or some other means.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1
  • Confused 1

2 hours ago, Konig Des Todes.2086 said:

Woodland Cascades and Janthir is the main speculation atm across the board due to the Eye of Janthir and the glowing mursaat statue in the final patch. But also because of the discovered copyright name: Janthir Wilds.

As for the architecture, it appears to be inspired by Polynesian design, which is indeed new to Guild Wars. There are elements similar to old GW1 Krytan like the thatched roofing, but otherwise appears overall brand new.

I'm looking to compile a list of things we know + loose threads from SotO that could be tied in, in the coming days. But off the top of my head, most things point to north of Kryta, indeed.

Wonder if we'll get there via the Brisban Bridge, Divinity's Reach, or some other means.

This actually made me remember the scrapped GW1 expansion being Utopia.

I wonder if this next expansion may end up being Guild Wars 2 Utopia.

1 hour ago, EdwinLi.1284 said:

Some folks thought that (myself included) about SotO given it was obviously demon and Mists focused with floating chunks of land.

So I doubt it this time around. It's seemingly Janthir and Mursaat redux, Spectral Agony Boogaloo.

• Like 1
  • Confused 2

Posted (edited)
30 minutes ago, Konig Des Todes.2086 said:

Some folks thought that (myself included) about SotO given it was obviously demon and Mists focused with floating chunks of land.

So I doubt it this time around. It's seemingly Janthir and Mursaat redux, Spectral Agony Boogaloo.

I doubt as well but they may end up taking some concept from Utopia like they did in the past. 

Either way looks like we may still get some more Mist related plot since the current tease in SotO mentioned Mursaat maybe Mist related by origin.

I am curious if this is going to be the running theme now for Post-Elder Dragon War storyline where the story is focus on Mist related things.

Edited by EdwinLi.1284
  • Like 1

21 hours ago, Konig Des Todes.2086 said:

It would make sense since the bandits have been working on that for like waaaay too long x)

• Haha 1

You know, one unmentioned thing that I'm curious if it will come up in the story is the Centaurs. We know that at least some of them come from north of Kryta in the Drizzlewood area. I wonder if it won't at all tie into cut story from IBS, hopefully without detracting too much from whatever story is planned.

• Like 1

Posted (edited)
On 5/29/2024 at 7:50 PM, EdwinLi.1284 said:

I think they're saving that for the GW2 Gods showdown that's been teased ad nauseum by now and will probably be in a future (Maybe the final?) expac.

On 5/29/2024 at 9:18 PM, Konig Des Todes.2086 said:

It's seemingly Janthir and Mursaat redux, Spectral Agony Boogaloo.

I wonder if they'll give us some more seer lore as well, specifically what exactly went on during their war with the Mursaat and how they got their defense against Spectral Agony. Also, while I really hope they don't do this, they could pull another Lazarus is THE (we mean it this time, honestly) last Mursaat with the Seers and reveal that the rest of them, aside from Isgarren, did not all die off (We've already seen the Ancient Seer in GW1 and Isgarren in GW2).

That said, I do wonder who the enemy we'll be facing is this time, unless they plan to bring back the Mursaat somehow (Mabon seems to hint there may be more survivors out there, maybe they're in Janthir?).

Edited by Poormany.4507

3 hours ago, Poormany.4507 said:

I wonder if they'll give us some more seer lore as well, specifically what exactly went on during their war with the Mursaat and how they got their defense against Spectral Agony. Also, while I really hope they don't do this, they could pull another Lazarus is THE (we mean it this time, honestly) last Mursaat with the Seers and reveal that the rest of them, aside from Isgarren, did not all die off (We've already seen the Ancient Seer in GW1 and Isgarren in GW2).

That said, I do wonder who the enemy we'll be facing is this time, unless they plan to bring back the Mursaat somehow (Mabon seems to hint there may be more survivors out there, maybe they're in Janthir?).

Technically we never really got a "the last Seer" moment. The Shining Blade did believe the one that was experimented on by Zinn and gifted the weapon that was designed to kill Lazarus was the last one but humans have been often wrong before. We knew they were a dying breed but nothing beyond one book by ancient Shining Blade said they were fully gone (sans Isgarren), unlike with the Mursaat.

That said, "somehow more mursaat have been living in Janthir" wouldn't make much sense given SotO. There are multiple references, such as this lorebook, that establish that Amnytas was over Janthir before moving to Horn of Maguuma, and while we don't have an exact date for this, it's suggested to be relatively recent in the wording, though it is definitely within the current lifetime of Astral Ward members (remember only Wizards are long lived). Though said lorebook does say it wasn't peaceful to stay there, though doesn't suggest why. This presents a new threat of sorts - either natural or not - but it shouldn't be mursaat, because Isgarren and Mabon didn't know mursaat were there.

Additionally the Eye of Janthir, which seeks out mursaat, went to Kakiros rather than Janthir. Which would suggest the closest mursaat to Orr would have been in Nayos during LWS3.

5 hours ago, Konig Des Todes.2086 said:

That said, "somehow more mursaat have been living in Janthir" wouldn't make much sense given SotO. .

Unless they did a "The other mursaat faction moved in from the mists and started using the old ruins of previous Mursaat settlements as a home base."

• Like 2
  • Confused 1

On 5/31/2024 at 4:19 AM, eyelogix.1654 said:

It would make sense since the bandits have been working on that for like waaaay too long x)

Insert joke about unionised builders spending more time on break than actually working here.

6 hours ago, Konig Des Todes.2086 said:

Additionally the Eye of Janthir, which seeks out mursaat, went to Kakiros rather than Janthir. Which would suggest the closest mursaat to Orr would have been in Nayos during LWS3.

Something also worth noting is that we saw the Eye of Janthir dissolving at the end of Season 3. It's supposedly gone. But if there's another branch of mursaat out there, they might have their own eyes that they use to observe places and events that are of interest to them.

Mind you, it's worth considering that Janthir might be an area they're interested in. So going to Janthir might result in contact with these other mursaat, even if they don't live there themselves.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, Kalavier.1097 said:

Unless they did a "The other mursaat faction moved in from the mists and started using the old ruins of previous Mursaat settlements as a home base."

Sure, but this would have had to be done in recent months, rather than years ago or something. Definitely has to be post-Season 3, but the letter makes it sound like it happened shortly before the events in Cantha.

2 hours ago, draxynnic.3719 said:

Something also worth noting is that we saw the Eye of Janthir dissolving at the end of Season 3. It's supposedly gone. But if there's another branch of mursaat out there, they might have their own eyes that they use to observe places and events that are of interest to them.

Mind you, it's worth considering that Janthir might be an area they're interested in. So going to Janthir might result in contact with these other mursaat, even if they don't live there themselves.

The Eye of Janthir can be seen in The Eleventh Hour instance while (and after) fighting Eparch. Thus, that "dissolving" was just it poofing into the Mists.

Also worth noting, however, is that while it was used by the White Mantle and mursaat, it is never actually said to be made by the mursaat - but is associated with / from the "people of Janthir". And nothing has actually said the people of Janthir were, in fact, mursaat. Both in GW1, where they are merely said to have the Gift of True Sight, and during LWS3:

"Years ago, the founder of the White Mantle, Saul D'Alessio, traveled south to the island of Janthir. It is said that those who come from this island are gifted with True Sight, the ability to see a person for who he really is."

https://wiki.guildwars.com/wiki/Mantle_Knight_Franklin

<Character name>: What do you know about the Eye of Janthir?
Exemplar Mehid: All I know is what is in the history books. It was a tool of the mursaat and White Mantle, associated with the people of Janthir. It was a magical construct that could see a person's gifts.
<Character name>: So it serves the White Mantle?
Exemplar Mehid: And the mursaat, yes. It's hundreds of years old, but it was recently rediscovered in Bloodstone Fen and has been seeking its masters ever since.

https://wiki.guildwars2.com/wiki/Shining_Blade_Secrets

If it was the mursaat who lived on Janthir... why not say so? 🤔

16 minutes ago, Konig Des Todes.2086 said:

Sure, but this would have had to be done in recent months, rather than years ago or something. Definitely has to be post-Season 3, but the letter makes it sound like it happened shortly before the events in Cantha.

The Eye of Janthir can be seen in The Eleventh Hour instance while (and after) fighting Eparch. Thus, that "dissolving" was just it poofing into the Mists.

Also worth noting, however, is that while it was used by the White Mantle and mursaat, it is never actually said to be made by the mursaat - but is associated with / from the "people of Janthir". And nothing has actually said the people of Janthir were, in fact, mursaat. Both in GW1, where they are merely said to have the Gift of True Sight, and during LWS3:

"Years ago, the founder of the White Mantle, Saul D'Alessio, traveled south to the island of Janthir. It is said that those who come from this island are gifted with True Sight, the ability to see a person for who he really is."

https://wiki.guildwars.com/wiki/Mantle_Knight_Franklin

<Character name>: What do you know about the Eye of Janthir?
Exemplar Mehid: All I know is what is in the history books. It was a tool of the mursaat and White Mantle, associated with the people of Janthir. It was a magical construct that could see a person's gifts.
<Character name>: So it serves the White Mantle?
Exemplar Mehid: And the mursaat, yes. It's hundreds of years old, but it was recently rediscovered in Bloodstone Fen and has been seeking its masters ever since.

https://wiki.guildwars2.com/wiki/Shining_Blade_Secrets

If it was the mursaat who lived on Janthir... why not say so? 🤔

This is honestly making me curious how much of a role will Livia have in the next expansion if it is Mursaat focused.

Not to mention the big awkward moment when she will obviously need to explain being friends with Moban and knowing there is probably a entire city of Mursaat somewhere.

Not to mention Isgarren mentioned in the end of SotO the events caused by the kryptas invasion was far too big to be unnoticed and they will need to reveal themselves soon but for now they are taking advantage of what little amount of time left until that moment. 

I feel Isgarren may get involved as well if he needs to explain more of the Seer side of the story.

• Like 1

14 hours ago, EdwinLi.1284 said:

This is honestly making me curious how much of a role will Livia have in the next expansion if it is Mursaat focused.

Not to mention the big awkward moment when she will obviously need to explain being friends with Moban and knowing there is probably a entire city of Mursaat somewhere.

Livia already explained her relationship with Mabon in SotO though?

Livia: Not bad scenery up here. You'll get used to the draft... Though I should've packed an extra shawl.
PC: So, what happened in Orr...
Livia: If you're asking whether or not I knew about Mabon...I did. But his existence did not change my path against Lazarus. In many ways, he was the last of those...monsters. Mabon was not one of them.
PC: How long have you known Mabon, then?
Livia: A while. Isgarren helped me retrieve the scepter from a group of bandits a hundred years back. Neither of us wanted it in the wrong hands... They hid Mabon's identity until they could trust me.
PC: So you knew, even at the reliquary?
Livia: Yes, I did. I...think back to that first interaction often, and I'm grateful he forgave me for things that were said...knives that were thrown. We both had to adjust to the situation.
PC: Didn't go too well?
Livia: No, but I eventually listened. He...is not like the others. He was just as afraid when Lazarus turned up alive. They knew of each other, back when the little war between the seers and mursaat started.
PC: They...knew each other?
Livia: Not my story to tell, but yes. The tale even predates myself by a few thousand years. Mabon learned from his mistakes, but there's a lot about Tyria we don't know. I wish we knew more about the mursaat.
PC: That's ominous, even for you.
Livia: I don't think we have anything to worry about—find solace in that. Lazarus is dead. The White Mantle are few and far between. If any more live... Well, they've no interest in Tyrian games.
PC: I have a lot to think about.

https://wiki.guildwars2.com/wiki/Tower_of_Secrets

On 5/29/2024 at 12:37 AM, mandala.8507 said:

We also get the spear that certainly seems Kodan themed. Bear face on the blade socket and a big bear paw on the base.

That reminds me - this dagger skin (Koda's Claw) was data-mined when SoTO released, and has been visible in the wardrobe ingame.....yet it isn't actually obtainable as far as I'm aware. Maybe this was a super early hidden hint? 🤔

13 minutes ago, Konig Des Todes.2086 said:

Possible, though I've been thinking it was meant to be the kodan / Waiting Sorrow weapon for the "Every Wizard gets a weapon, even the dead Vass", except weirdly Akeem didn't but Turai Ossa did - and Waiting Sorrow didn't either.

This definitely makes sense. I thought of Waiting Sorrow when I saw the weapon.....and just as we never got to meet her, the weapon was also mysteriously unobtainable.
Considering there were so many bits and pieces to read about Waiting Sorrow and things associated with her (including the heart of the obscure), and also considering we'll still be dealing with the Astral Ward going into Expansion 5, I'm suspecting she might actually be physically present during the next story.
Then I could see there being a new collection for Koda's Claw.

Posted (edited)
23 hours ago, EdwinLi.1284 said:

Given the letter from Anise to Livia in the Epilogue of SotO, my guess is she'll be moderately-heavily involved, especially since she's one of the only/top experts with firsthand experience we've got on the Mursaat.

Another loose end I'm thinking will be covered in the next expac is what exactly Caudecus was looking for in Janthir.

Also, given that Kryta seems to be at least partly involved in the next expac and Anet seems to be focused on resolving longstanding mysteries atm, maaaaybe we can finally learn who a certain Mister E is? 🤞

Edited by Poormany.4507