Please add Player Characters as NPCs to Personal Housing!

Dear ArenaNet,

there is but one feature I am really looking forward with Player Housing, and that is having all my characters populate the house as NPCs. Please add the option to bring your characters into your home as NPCs.

• Like 30
  • Thanks 1
  • Haha 1
  • Confused 1

Posted (edited)

A fine idea.
Now let's crank it up to a great one:

If you log out of a character in your homestead then it stays as an NPC.
And here comes the big part:

If you go to your homestead and talk to your characters there you can switch characters on the fly.

I don't exactly know arena's tech but:

• No need to load new map - both old and new character are in the same one
  • No need to load character model and textures - it's already loaded as an NPC

So that's a ton of data that would already be there, allowing for a smoother transition process from one character to another.

Edited by StraightPath.3972
  • Like 5
  • Confused 6

2 hours ago, StraightPath.3972 said:

A fine idea.

If you go to your homestead and talk to your characters there you can switch characters on the fly.

So that's a ton of data that would already be there, allowing for a smoother transition process from one character to another.

While it would be a great idea. I dont think it is possible with how the code works for gear and inventory. You will have a load screen anyway. 

• Like 3
  • Confused 1

The could probably add a dialogue option that behaves as if you chose that character on the login screen, but I doubt they will be able to include a seamless switch. They could do it, but it would be too much fork for what little quality of life it would add to the game.

• Like 2
  • Confused 1

On 6/5/2024 at 5:41 AM, StraightPath.3972 said:

A fine idea.

I don't see the appeal of this. I know it wouldn't replace the existing function, so it doesn't really matter if I wouldn't want to use, it, but I don't see why anyone would. One of the good things about having multiple characters is being able to leave them in different places and have them stay there while you go and do different things. Pulling them all into the same instance to switch between them would mean adding at least one (potentially multiple) loading screens to get back to where you are and what you're doing - and then having to go through it all again to get back when you want to log out.

I get the assumption that it would make actually switching faster (I'm not convinced it would work that way - I suspect you'd still get a loading screen) but it sounds like the whole process would take much longer than it does now.

• Like 3

This is a neat idea, but I'd like to be able to toggle which (if any) of the characters can visit on a per character basis. One of my characters might be a loner that is specifically living the hermit lifestyle. Another one might like the company of some of my alts, but not all of them.

• Like 2

Characters and Minis is easy to implement to be NPCs.
Minis is just a Mini Version of a real NPC or monster, i want to see my minis in my home at some moment, i dont care if i need buy more of each of them to get the NPC version, i just want a populated house.
Characters is mandatory, no way the Housing coming in without this simple feature.

• Confused 1
  • Sad 1

11 hours ago, Dibit.6259 said:

I hope they have room for those with the 69 character cap 😆

If they are considering this, they might limit the amount by "select 5 (or whatever number) to populate your homestead."
Otherwise yes, 69 Player characters with their outfits, effects etc... ...where did I keep my sunglasses again? 😄

• Like 3
  • Haha 1
  • Sad 1

14 hours ago, BlueJin.4127 said:

So they can have a conversation that goes:

PC 1: Wow, that's quality armor!

Other PC's: Thanks.

Probably Sylvari PC's: Take a look!

Other than that... YES! Having at least some of my Asura stay in one place looking good in clothes/armor/outfit would be pretty nice feature indeed.
Up to this point it's probably not too complicated to code, maybe even with some animations and "idle dialogue" proper for the race.

The part about quicker reload is a bit tricky. Sure you could probably preload at least the "looks" of characters but the rest of the mechanics, INCLUDING the equipment for certain reasons which I'm not sure if I can spell out loud, would be a bit of "awesome but impractical" or something around that. Lots of coding with no guarantee of success to STILL have a loading screen which won't be that much shorter in time. It's not worth it.

11 hours ago, ubaer.8176 said:

This is a neat idea, but I'd like to be able to toggle which (if any) of the characters can visit on a per character basis. One of my characters might be a loner that is specifically living the hermit lifestyle. Another one might like the company of some of my alts, but not all of them.

I'd very much support that. Maybe you could place your characters, even the one you are currently playing, like a unique decoration. They will then start to pathfind (or not) from where you placed them. The character you play currently wouldn't be there obviously, but the others would.

14 hours ago, Danikat.8537 said:

I don't see the appeal of this. I know it wouldn't replace the existing function, so it doesn't really matter if I wouldn't want to use, it, but I don't see why anyone would. One of the good things about having multiple characters is being able to leave them in different places and have them stay there while you go and do different things. Pulling them all into the same instance to switch between them would mean adding at least one (potentially multiple) loading screens to get back to where you are and what you're doing - and then having to go through it all again to get back when you want to log out.

I get the assumption that it would make actually switching faster (I'm not convinced it would work that way - I suspect you'd still get a loading screen) but it sounds like the whole process would take much longer than it does now.

If we'd be willing to be a bit fast-and-loose with where your characters actually are when you don't play them, I think we wouldn't have an issue. Your other characters could be in your Home Instance and still be where you left them when you log back in. And if ANet wanted to implement the instant-character-switching feature, you could still decide if you wanted to switch characters inside your Home Instance and then have both characters in that Home Instance, or if you go through the login screen like we do now and have the characters load in where you last left them.

• Confused 1

Posted (edited)

I do like the idea of placing my male glorious norn with his pink maid outfit in the hallway to greet all the visitors as they enter my house 🤔

Yes! I approve this suggestion. As long as they also add the ability to use emotes with them 

Edited by Freya.9075
  • Like 1
  • Haha 1

I don't see the appeal of this, unless (1) I can decide which of my other characters to display in my Homestead, which I don't think this engine can handle, and (2) they would not just be sitting around but doing busy work, which would unnecessarily eat up resources tbh.

• Confused 2

I'd rather have stables/nests for each mount the active character has, mostly just for show but maybe have small interactions with them too, like feeding the raptor a treat, scratching the bunny's ears, etc. They would then display the Infatuated effect. Oh, and while we're at it make the Warclaw react to the home instance cat toys. It could use Battle Maul on the holoscepter and Dash when you try to shoot it with the water pistol.

• Like 2
  • Confused 1

I have 26 characters. As much as I like my characters, I don't think I would like to have that many 'NPC's crowding up a homestead. I need a castle for my characters in that case (hence my castle post last week).

If they did implement something like this, I think the best way to implement it would be to have your chosen character's  NPC (copy)  do a pre-determined thing. You could take your actual character to the homestead, have it interact with an object (perhaps tending the garden, attacking a target dummy, or cooking something) and get prompted to specify that particular character as doing that particular thing in the homestead instance. In the end result, you could have multiple characters each doing different things all at once, so that your homestead feels 'lived in'.

• Like 1
  • Sad 1

If we go by ease of implementation, I think there are some ideas that are easier to implement. For example, many have said that they may not want to have all their characters show up in the Homestead. This could be easily implemented by giving each player unique decorations that are just the player characters. So you, as the player, could decide to place down some characters, while leaving out others.

As for the interaction with those character NPCs, the easiest implementation would be to just not have them interact with a whole lot. Yet, I think there are some easier to implement interactions that would be appreciated. A 'follow me' command would be on the top of the list for me. Like Ranger pets, the character NPCs would try to follow you to the best of their ability if that command is chosen. The next command that I'd think would be good to implement would be a 'copy my emotes' command, that has the character NPCs just copy every emote you do. A slightly more involved interaction would be the ability to possess the character NPCs, similarly to how you can 'possess' jade bots. To be clear, this would not be a character switching feature, you'd only be controlling them inside your Homestead, without their skills, their inventory or their hero panel. This would allow you to pose them however you like.

Another idea is to restrict the movement of those character NPCs. This could be accomplished by giving the player access to invisible decorations that act as a blocker to path finding. So if you'd want to confine a character NPC to the 2nd floor of your Homestead, you could place a pathfinding blocker on top of the stairs and thus have them pathfind only on the 2nd floor.

At last, ANet could implement a 'photo booth' or other interactibles that would have your character NPCs come over and do specific actions, like a dinner table where every character of yours sits down or the like.

I think those would be some of the easier to implement interactions with your character NPCs.

• Like 4
  • Confused 1

On 6/9/2024 at 2:38 PM, Eloc Freidon.5692 said:

Limit how many custom characters can be in the homestead, but make it at least 9. One per profession.

like this idea. this is easy to implement and will be so rewarding. its the least effort for most return

• Confused 1
  • Sad 1

On 6/4/2024 at 7:14 PM, xXxOrcaxXx.9328 said:

Dear ArenaNet,

there is but one feature I am really looking forward with Player Housing, and that is having all my characters populate the house as NPCs. Please add the option to bring your characters into your home as NPCs.

Would be interesting.  Adding to that idea, I think the characters who have mastered certain crafting professions can become crafting master vendors for those professions in your homestead. 

• Confused 1
  • Sad 1