How I hope the Raid is Implemented in the Open World

Strikes are essentially the same system as raids, they're even completely sealed off from the open world as raids are. Dumping Strikes for integrated raids makes sense since you're unable to properly integrate Strikes in the open world due to how they function. ANet went to Strikes since then at least they could reuse assets that they had used before.

The issue is that people only need to have interaction with a Strike once and then never again if they so desire. This results in the assets still being effectively wasted. Properly integrating it in the open world justifies ANet spending time and resources on their development since people will engage with the raid in both the story and in the course of normal play.

How I think the raid will be implemented is that it will be a "buffer" zone between the second and the third map. Sorta like the Wizard's Tower serves as a buffer between Skywatch and Amnytas.

The narrative about the open-world version would be that the place was a "security system" and behind it, there was a barrier that restricted access to the third map. The raid is powered by something that upholds a barrier to the third map and causes a "reset" after each clear. The players continually assault the zone to exhaust whatever powers the raids. Two releases after the main JW where the players finally exhaust the power system and it's no longer able to both sustain the "barrier" to the third map and the reset. The system chooses to maintain the reset system rather than the barrier.

After the system is exhausted a raid portal appears so people can clear the place as a 10-man raid.

This would integrate the raid into the open world and make people properly aware that the content exists by constantly reminding people that it does. By having it as a mini-map it's also possible to create a separate timer for the assault on it.

• Like 1
  • Confused 10
  • Sad 1

Posted (edited)
8 minutes ago, kharmin.7683 said:

No. I think it is a horrible idea to gate a portion of the open world map behind a raid completion.

How did you miss the part that the raid will be a meta event in the open world?

Edited by Malus.2184
  • Confused 1

1 hour ago, Malus.2184 said:

Because your post is in all black text on a black background, so it's difficult for anyone on the forum to read.

This is the part to which I was responding:
"The narrative about the open-world version would be that the place was a "security system" and behind it, there was a barrier that restricted access to the third map. The raid is powered by something that upholds a barrier to the third map and causes a "reset" after each clear. The players continually assault the zone to exhaust whatever powers the raids. Two releases after the main JW where the players finally exhaust the power system and it's no longer able to both sustain the "barrier" to the third map and the reset. The system chooses to maintain the reset system rather than the barrier."

There should not be a barrier to accessing the map that is tied behind this meta/raid idea.  That's my opinion.  I would hate that.

• Like 5

On 6/10/2024 at 8:04 AM, kharmin.7683 said:

Because your post is in all black text on a black background, so it's difficult for anyone on the forum to read.

the background depends on your settings. i can read that black text on white background just fine, and made sure to turn off night mode on my PC, because i'm not into the "night-mode on everything" trend that's been so popular for the past couple years. all these popular trends are "so five minutes ago" high school clique-bait. Sorry, couldn't resist the "clever" bad joke. dad joke?

Edit: to explain the joke, since there are so many confused reaction emotes: it's a pun: "click bait" versus "clique bait".  a " clique " is a social group. most "trends" run their course quickly, and are then often discarded. My mention of white background is simply due to being in day mode, and the text is black. The last part of the joke is references the quoted poster's assumption that everyone is using night mode, because black background is night mode, which is the default mode of the forums, and most folks are fine with using default modes, so they are probably not consciously following the trend of so many companies to offer night mode as default. IE: most users don't care. So my comment was designed solely for laughs, but apparently fell short...

Edit 2: the edit above is also intended as humor, since i presume the confused reaction probably also is, and i also presume that y'all totally understand the joke

Edited by Forgotten Legend.9281
continuing the bad joke into even further badness
  • Confused 7

4 minutes ago, Forgotten Legend.9281 said:

the background depends on your settings. i can read that black text on white background just fine, and made sure to turn off night mode on my PC, because i'm not into the "night-mode on everything" trend that's been so popular for the past couple years. all these popular trends are "so five minutes ago" high school clique-bait. Sorry, couldn't resist the "clever" bad joke. dad joke?

While I appreciate the tone here as tongue-in-cheek and all, it has been something that has been pointed out many times in the forums.  Apparently many here use dark themes.  /shrug

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

15 minutes ago, Forgotten Legend.9281 said:

bdad joke

• Confused 1

36 minutes ago, kharmin.7683 said:

There should not be a barrier to accessing the map that is tied behind this meta/raid idea.  That's my opinion.  I would hate that.

What sorta stuff are you on ?

They're just gonna copy pasta the assets from the expac and package it in a 10 man version for raids.

Also, the only one gating your from anything is you.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1
  • Confused 5

Since the blog post says "you can play the story in two ways; as open world events and as 10 man raid instance" I think it will be similar to strikes, but with open world instead of story.

Maybe it's a meta event in open world and changed to less inbetween and more focus on challenging bosses for the raid.

PS. There were/are speculations whether the new raid takes place in the expansion scenario or somewhere else (Raisu Palace in Cantha for example).
With Anet saying it's story can be played in open world too, I think it's proven that the raid will take place in JW region.

1 hour ago, TexZero.7910 said:

What sorta stuff are you on ?

They're just gonna copy pasta the assets from the expac and package it in a 10 man version for raids.

Also, the only one gating your from anything is you.

I wasn't talking about what Anet has thus far revealed.  The suggestion was to gate a portion of the map behind some sort of OW raid.  I think that would be a bad idea.

• Like 2
  • Confused 1

Posted (edited)
1 hour ago, kharmin.7683 said:

I wasn't talking about what Anet has thus far revealed.  The suggestion was to gate a portion of the map behind some sort of OW raid.  I think that would be a bad idea.

It never was. The suggestion was to gate off the UNIMPLEMENTED map behind what would become the raid. The map that would only be put in the game with release 3.

Edited by Malus.2184
  • Confused 6

9 hours ago, Farohna.6247 said:

Sooooooo Inner Nayos 2.0...but as a barrier to entering the next zone.   

Yes, though with a reason for it going away rather than "somehow Palpatine returned" it.

• Haha 1
  • Confused 3

On 6/10/2024 at 1:56 PM, Malus.2184 said:

Probably because your text is formatted black and many people here, including myself, are using the dark forum theme, which makes it black on black/anthracite, rendering your text illegible to them.

Didn't make a screenshot, but have one from one of many other examples of people using pre-formatted text which they copy&paste here instead of using the forum's own editor: https://i.imgur.com/iy6cIAb.jpg

Edited by Ashantara.8731
  • Like 2
  • Confused 1

Posted (edited)
1 hour ago, Ashantara.8731 said:

Probably because your text is formatted black and many people here, including myself, are using the dark forum theme, which makes it black on black/anthracite, rendering your text illegible to them.

Didn't make a screenshot, but have one from one of many other examples of people using pre-formatted text which they copy&paste here instead of using the forum's own editor: https://i.imgur.com/iy6cIAb.jpg

Then you're reading in Night Mode. This is a consistent issue with this forum. Sometimes when you read in Night Mode the text is black. This is fully on you since I have no power over the solution, you do by being able to switch, I'm unable to switch for you.

Right now you're blaming me for a -you- issue that has nothing to do with me.

Edited by Malus.2184
  • Haha 1
  • Confused 7

2 minutes ago, Malus.2184 said:

Then you're reading in Night Mode. This is a consistent issue with this forum. Sometimes when you read in Night Mode the text is black. This is fully on you since I have no power over the solution, you do by being able to switch, I'm unable to switch for you.

all you got to do is press the Paste as plain text instead that pops up when you copy anything into the message box before you press red submit button

• Like 4
  • Thanks 1

2 hours ago, Malus.2184 said:

Exactly. It's so easy to work around this on the reader-side and impossible to do anything about as the poster.

No, it is not on the reader-side, but on your end. You have to select "Paste as plain text instead" for everyone to be able to read your post. 😄

15 hours ago, Malus.2184 said:

Then you're reading in Night Mode.

:classic_huh: Yes, that is what I already said. You are making it illegible for all forum users who use the dark mode theme when you preformat text like that.

15 hours ago, Malus.2184 said:

It is a YOU-issue, because you posted preformatted text into your post. Don't know how much clearer I (or anyone else) can put it for you. 🤦‍♀️

• Like 2
  • Thanks 2
  • Confused 1

1 hour ago, Ashantara.8731 said:

No, it is not on the reader-side, but on your end. You have to select "Paste as plain text instead" for everyone to be able to read your post. 😄

:classic_huh: Yes, that is what I already said. You are making it illegible for all forum users who use the dark mode theme when you preformat text like that.

It is a YOU-issue, because you posted preformatted text into your post. Don't know how much clearer I (or anyone else) can put it for you. 🤦‍♀️

https://media1.giphy.com/media/v1.Y2lkPTc5MGI3NjExcWY2M2l5NzFxcDM4aGpnNzF1Y3k1Mm4zc2Q0MXQ3aTVzemprN2s0diZlcD12MV9pbnRlcm5hbF9naWZfYnlfaWQmY3Q9Zw/V9gjxvLnSSdA4/giphy.webp

I did post it like that and you could at any point have highlighted the areas to see the text, and just because you. specifically, you complained rather than doing something that could solve the issue on your end I'm going to be stubborn and do nothing even though I could possibly fix it by trying to paste it again and hope the plain text option sticks.

• Confused 6

2 hours ago, Malus.2184 said:

https://media1.giphy.com/media/v1.Y2lkPTc5MGI3NjExcWY2M2l5NzFxcDM4aGpnNzF1Y3k1Mm4zc2Q0MXQ3aTVzemprN2s0diZlcD12MV9pbnRlcm5hbF9naWZfYnlfaWQmY3Q9Zw/V9gjxvLnSSdA4/giphy.webp

I did post it like that and you could at any point have highlighted the areas to see the text, and just because you. specifically, you complained rather than doing something that could solve the issue on your end I'm going to be stubborn and do nothing even though I could possibly fix it by trying to paste it again and hope the plain text option sticks.

I could have complained too but did not want to create a dogpile that might make you feel harassed and report happy.

• Like 2
  • Haha 3

Posted (edited)
1 hour ago, Linken.6345 said:

I could have complained too but did not want to create a dogpile that might make you feel harassed and report happy.

I can live with that, if people offered me constructive criticism like, "I think something went wrong in the formatting of the text, I could only read it when I highlighted it," I would have had no issue and would have tried fixing it. When people go, "IT'S ALL YOUR FAULT, I TRIED NOTHING AND NONE OF IT WORKED, PLEASE FIX!" Then, in my opinion, they can go take a long walk on a short pier.

I just reacted to that. You would most likely get angry too if someone talked to you in that way as I was talked to.  I hope you would since no one should be met with that kind of bullying and verbal abuse.

Edited by Malus.2184
  • Confused 5

6 minutes ago, Malus.2184 said:

I can live with that, if people offered me constructive criticism like, "I think something went wrong in the formatting of the text, I could only read it when I highlighted it," I would have had no issue and would have tried fixing it. When people go, "IT'S ALL YOUR FAULT, I TRIED NOTHING AND NONE OF IT WORKED, PLEASE FIX!" Then, in my opinion, they can go take a long walk on a short pier.

I just reacted to that. You would most likely get angry too if someone talked to you in that way as I was talked to.  I hope you would since no one should be met with that kind of bullying and verbal abuse.

All I seen is people saying its black text on black background so cant see what it is saying.

You then saying well just turn off darkmode, because there is nothing I can do about it.

Me replying that yes there is something you can do about it as I know when copying text from the wiki and get the post as plain text pop up myself.

You then misunderstanding that post agreeing with me and still claiming it was on the other users to fix your text.

Then people responding to that  and you angrily stomping your feet in a tantrum saying you will never change the text when having been proved in the wrong.

So yea the one being a bully in here is not who you think it is.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 3

1 hour ago, Linken.6345 said:

All I seen is people saying its black text on black background so cant see what it is saying.

You then saying well just turn off darkmode, because there is nothing I can do about it.

Me replying that yes there is something you can do about it as I know when copying text from the wiki and get the post as plain text pop up myself.

You then misunderstanding that post agreeing with me and still claiming it was on the other users to fix your text.

Then people responding to that  and you angrily stomping your feet in a tantrum saying you will never change the text when having been proved in the wrong.

So yea the one being a bully in here is not who you think it is.

You can literally just highlight the area, you do know how to do that? Right? Click anywhere you think there's text or above and then hold the right button. The highlighting will create an area of a different colour than the black-on-black text so you can read it. There's an easy solution to this and it's all your responsibility to use it rather than getting angry at me and just expressing insults and that it's me who needs to L2P.

• Haha 1
  • Confused 4

43 minutes ago, Malus.2184 said:

You can literally just highlight the area, you do know how to do that? Right? Click anywhere you think there's text or above and then hold the right button. The highlighting will create an area of a different colour than the black-on-black text so you can read it. There's an easy solution to this and it's all your responsibility to use it rather than getting angry at me and just expressing insults and that it's me who needs to L2P.

Yes I know that.

But why should everyone in darkmode have to do extra things when you are the one who want to get your information out in a discussion on a forum?

• Like 1
  • Thanks 4