10 Years too late adding housing

If anyone thinks that gold selling and bot farms are bad now, I think that player to player trading would open the floodgates.  I would elaborate, but that might get the thread locked.  Player to player trade needs it's own forum thread, probably in the general discussion section.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 2
  • Confused 1

53 minutes ago, Buzzbugs.1236 said:

It doesn't help that there's no player to player trading in the game. That is a MMO social interaction that is completely missing from GW2.

But they might add in it a future expansion pack. As well as open world dueling. Then we can say it's only 15 years too late 🙂

Yes please put in player to player trading so scamers can run rampant.

They had it in gw1 and yes you had to accept the trade after seeing what was in the other persons trade window and still people got scamed.

Dueling just go into a spvp arena since the balance is different bettwen pve an pvp+ you wont get ridiculed in map chat for being crap if your the loser.

• Like 6
  • Thanks 1
  • Confused 2

11 minutes ago, Linken.6345 said:

Yes please put in player to player trading so scamers can run rampant.

They had it in gw1 and yes you had to accept the trade after seeing what was in the other persons trade window and still people got scamed.

Oh yes, classic argument right here.

Let's take whole social features out of the game because of a few scammers.

This obsession with player safety is why we get boring themepark MMO's these days with no risks.

When you go bowling, do you play with the guard rails up, by any chance?

• Like 2
  • Confused 16
  • Sad 2

On 6/15/2024 at 6:26 PM, Buzzbugs.1236 said:

Oh yes, classic argument right here.

Let's take whole social features out of the game because of a few scammers.

This obsession with player safety is why we get boring themepark MMO's these days with no risks.

When you go bowling, do you play with the guard rails up, by any chance?

Eh. I don't particularly mind the possibility of players getting scammed, but I do mind chat getting clogged with "WTS" offers. That happens in every single game with player-to-player trading.

Of course you'd probably tell me to turn off chat or use filters. In turn I'd tell you to go find another feature-rich game to play, whichever one all your friends ran off to, that is rife with trade spam, duel request spam, and other "QoL" since launch.

Edited by voltaicbore.8012
  • Like 5
  • Thanks 3

29 minutes ago, Buzzbugs.1236 said:

Let's take whole social features out of the game because of a few scammers

Anet stated that they purposefully excluded player to player trading specifically due to their experience dealing with scammers and the like in GW1 (and it wasn't just a few). This is not a feature that they just haven't gotten around to adding but rather one that they are actively opposed to having in the game.

• Thanks 8
  • Confused 3

I'd like to remind everyone that the player housing thing, while interesting, has been a low priority for many years. The majority of us players (casuals) don't really care for such content. This game will have been going on for 12 years strong WITHOUT player housing by the time it comes out. That is proof that it's a 'nice to have' not a 'must have'.

Having said that, it's kind of a blessing that it is being given to us this late, because it gives those of us who have been here since before the beginning something new to work on; a new goal to strive for. Whether or not this will attract new players remains to be seen, but I'd wager that it will do little to nothing to draw in new players.

For me personally, my 'endgame' is the legendary armory. Once I finish that, I can perhaps shift my focus to the player housing thing as a long-term goal to keep me playing for a couple more years longer while I am able to simultaneously enjoy other games along side this one. You all forget that that is the true genius of this game: you can enjoy it from a casual standpoint along side other games without feeling like you're missing out. You will always have something you can work on gradually over time and still get the sense of accomplishment.

• Like 4
  • Thanks 1

1 hour ago, Zera.9435 said:

I'd like to remind everyone that the player housing thing, while interesting, has been a low priority for many years. The majority of us players (casuals) don't really care for such content. This game will have been going on for 12 years strong WITHOUT player housing by the time it comes out. That is proof that it's a 'nice to have' not a 'must have'.

Having said that, it's kind of a blessing that it is being given to us this late, because it gives those of us who have been here since before the beginning something new to work on; a new goal to strive for. Whether or not this will attract new players remains to be seen, but I'd wager that it will do little to nothing to draw in new players.

For me personally, my 'endgame' is the legendary armory. Once I finish that, I can perhaps shift my focus to the player housing thing as a long-term goal to keep me playing for a couple more years longer while I am able to simultaneously enjoy other games along side this one. You all forget that that is the true genius of this game: you can enjoy it from a casual standpoint along side other games without feeling like you're missing out. You will always have something you can work on gradually over time and still get the sense of accomplishment.

Perhaps not new players but I do have some friends that have drifted away from GW2, in no small part due to a lack of goals/things to pursue in game. A few of those friends stay in touch with the guild via discord and are very interested in player housing. Depending on its implementation in GW2 they have expressed an intent to buy Janthir and return to the game specifically for housing.

Now it remains to be seen just how many people will engage with the feature.

• Like 1
  • Confused 3

3 hours ago, Ashen.2907 said:

Anet stated that they purposefully excluded player to player trading specifically due to their experience dealing with scammers and the like in GW1 (and it wasn't just a few). This is not a feature that they just haven't gotten around to adding but rather one that they are actively opposed to having in the game.

It's also why the game's economy is so stable and the trading post is so easy to use. Like seriously, 12 years in and the economy still being this stable is friggin nuts for an mmo. Giving players the ability to massively undercut the TP would artificially raise the quick buy price, and without the TP tax the game's gold and gem economy would inflate out of control. I dunno how anyone could think that having to spend 5+ minutes price checking whatever you buy like in WoW, or having to use some external trading website like in Path of Exile (all while constantly getting spammed by gold sellers) would be an improvement. This thread is pretty much the epitome of "I will complain about literally anything" though, so... 🤷‍♂️

Edited by Sweetbread.3678
  • Like 4
  • Thanks 7

6 minutes ago, Sweetbread.3678 said:

It's also why the game's economy is so stable and the trading post is so easy to use. Like seriously, 12 years in and the economy still being this stable is friggin nuts for an mmo. Giving players the ability to massively undercut the TP would artificially raise the quick buy price, and without the TP tax the game's gold and gem economy would inflate out of control. I dunno how anyone could think that having to spend 5+ minutes price checking whatever you buy like in WoW, or having to use some external trading website like in Path of Exile (all while constantly getting spammed by gold sellers) would be an improvement. This thread is pretty much the epitome of "I will complain about literally anything" though, so... 🤷‍♂️

Honestly I hadn't thought about the broader economic impact. Solid points, thank you.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1
  • Confused 3

Posted (edited)
5 hours ago, Sweetbread.3678 said:

I dunno how anyone could think that having to spend 5+ minutes price checking whatever you buy like in WoW, or having to use some external trading website like in Path of Exile (all while constantly getting spammed by gold sellers) would be an improvement. This thread is pretty much the epitome of "I will complain about literally anything" though, so... 🤷‍♂️

Yes, because we don't already have to check an external wiki for basically everything on GW2 already...

Your post is pretty much the epitome of "I will defend the game against literally any criticism, because I'm a fanboy and ArenaNET can do no wrong"

Edited by Buzzbugs.1236
  • Like 1
  • Confused 10
  • Sad 3

18 hours ago, Buzzbugs.1236 said:

All of my friends who played GW2 with me since launch have already long quit the game. Housing is something we all wanted at that time. Now what's even the point? I have no friends I can invite over.

This criticism is stupid, so make new friends ingame that you can invite over. 

• Like 2
  • Thanks 2

12 minutes ago, Buzzbugs.1236 said:

Yes, because we don't already have to check an external wiki for basically everything on GW2 already...

Your post is pretty much the epitome of "I will defend the game against literally any criticism, because I'm a fanboy and ArenaNET can do no wrong"

Very well, how would you maintain the current stability of the trading post while implementing player to player trading? 

How would you avoid the hyper inflation that all other mmos have?  Those mmos have player to player trading, it is a basic feature like you said. 

Do you believe some other condition is keeping TP prices in Gw2 so stable?  Do you believe that condition can still function if player to player trades become possible?

Personally I don't like demanding change unless I have a solution in mind.  

• Like 2
  • Thanks 2

3 minutes ago, Buzzbugs.1236 said:

Can't. The GW2 community is too toxic.

This simply isn't true. Of course it has its share of toxic players, but GW2's community is famously more helpful and less toxic than other MMOs. Hell, you can't be a new player without getting adopted by veterans.

• Like 5
  • Thanks 1
  • Confused 1

2 minutes ago, Manpag.6421 said:

This simply isn't true. Of course it has its share of toxic players, but GW2's community is famously more helpful and less toxic than other MMOs. Hell, you can't be a new player without getting adopted by veterans.

It becomes true the moment that new player criticizes any aspect of the game. Then it becomes a beatdown.

• Haha 1
  • Confused 6
  • Sad 2

29 minutes ago, Buzzbugs.1236 said:

Can't. The GW2 community is too toxic.

GW2 is the least toxic MMORPG behind LOTR.

hold on, you said this 'GW2 is the last MMO I'll ever play and it's not because of anything Anet did.'  why are you complaining about housing being too late again?

Edited by Bladestrom.6425
  • Like 3

6 minutes ago, Bladestrom.6425 said:

GW2 is the least toxic MMORPG behind LOTR.

Where do you get these statistics from? Is there a graph somewhere that I'm missing?

Not that it matters. What matters has been my own experience on GW2 with the community.

6 minutes ago, Bladestrom.6425 said:

hold on, you said this 'GW2 is the last MMO I'll ever play and it's not because of anything Anet did.'  why are you complaining about housing being too late again?

It's too late because my friends left this game a long time ago, and now I'm complaining it's too difficult to make new friends in GW2 because the community is toxic. Because that's been my experience on this game for years. Any sort of statistics you can pull out of thin air comparing GW2 to other MMO's doesn't change what I've experienced..

• Confused 7
  • Sad 3

Sometimes, people see others as "toxic" because they themselves are negative people, and through a combination of attracting similarly toxic people and frustrating others to the point of lashing out, they justify their perception of the world/game.

All I have seen so far is OP attacking and berating people for offering their own experiences and opinions, telling them why they're wrong. If that's how they behave in-game, I'm not surprised they have a very different experience of the player base than others.

• Like 3
  • Thanks 7

2 minutes ago, Buzzbugs.1236 said:

It's too late because my friends left this game a long time ago, and now I'm complaining it's too difficult to make new friends in GW2 because the community is toxic. Because that's been my experience on this game for years. Any sort of statistics you can pull out of thin air comparing GW2 to other MMO's doesn't change what I've experienced..

Housing is too late for you not for the community, my point is you have already emo quit because of your perceived view of toxicity in a game renouned for non toxicity.

Isn't spouting negativity in a forum for a game you have left toxic?

• Like 2
  • Thanks 3

Posted (edited)
5 minutes ago, Manpag.6421 said:

All I have seen so far is OP attacking and berating people for offering their own experiences and opinions, telling them why they're wrong. If that's how they behave in-game, I'm not surprised they have a very different experience of the player base than others.

All I did was post that I think housing is coming way too late in the game, and that the game lacks some basic social features that would make new friendships easier. It's everyone else who's calling my posts stupid and trying to bury me in rabbit holes using fallacies that are being toxic.

But I guess you think I'm the toxic one because they can't change my mind?

Edited by Buzzbugs.1236
  • Haha 1
  • Confused 5
  • Sad 3

8 minutes ago, Buzzbugs.1236 said:

All I did was post that I think housing is coming way too late in the game, and that the game lacks some basic social features that would make new friendships easier. It's everyone else who's posting calling my posts stupid and trying to bury me in rabbit holes using fallacies.

But I guess I'm just the toxic one because you can't change my mind?

you were not looking for someone to change your mind though were you, in fact you said GW2 is the last MMORPG you ever will play?!

https://www.merriam-webster.com/dictionary/disingenuous

Edited by Bladestrom.6425
  • Like 3

26 minutes ago, Buzzbugs.1236 said:

It becomes true the moment that new player criticizes any aspect of the game. Then it becomes a beatdown.

The community isn't toxic because they don't agree with you. People just have differing opinions. 

• Like 3
  • Thanks 2

2 minutes ago, Sigmoid.7082 said:

The community isn't toxic because they don't agree with you. People just have differing opinions. 

So when I have a different opinion and I'm berated and attacked for it, it's fair game. But when I return it in kind, I'm at fault?

It's the same thing anytime anyone criticizes GW2. The community here cannot handle criticism of this game well. Always on the defence/attack mode.

• Haha 1
  • Confused 5
  • Sad 2

1 minute ago, Buzzbugs.1236 said:

So when I have a different opinion and I'm berated and attacked for it, it's fair game. But when I return it in kind, I'm at fault?

It's the same thing anytime anyone criticizes GW2. The community here cannot handle criticism of this game well. Always on the defence/attack mode.

Your the one in a forum complaining about a feature you want that's too late..in a game you have vowed not to play.  

• Like 3
  • Thanks 2