Warclaw Description

"The warclaw is a highly mobile mount that can navigate with precision and agility over all kinds of terrain"

I find this description kind of amusing. From my guild's experience the warclaw does not meet this definition.

1. The warclaw gets stuck on ridges on a wooden switchback in desert borderland. It can hardly even climb stairs - it's faster to dismount and walk up.

2. When mounting a warclaw it is best to not be on a bridge in WvW because the drunken-cat syndrome takes over and you make a 90 degree turn and fly off the bridge to your death.  

At least that's our experience. I wonder if that will be addressed. 

• Like 5
  • Thanks 1
  • Haha 2
  • Confused 4

We don't know to what extent they may tweak how it handles/feels in PvE, but I think a lot of the jank in WvW comes from them having to neuter it to prevent exploits. For example, in PvE, dismounting from any mount propels you into the air as you get off, but for WvW they had to really change how gravity affects it so you stay stuck to the floor when dismounting and can't climb terrain you shouldn't while mounted.

It currently uses the same running animation as griffon and skyscale, which are more vertically agile, so it's not hard to imagine it being able to feel mobile and fluid.

4 hours ago, Randin.5701 said:

Well, it is also getting a double jump in the expansion, which will help with the mobility quite a bit.

likely only in PvE though; the wording in the blog post makes it sound like the WvW version will remain relatively unchanged outside of the listed changes to Chain pull, Sniff, and Lance

And do not forget that trying to use the Battle Maul #1 skill on a downward slope or stairs going downward while doing a "hopp" has a high change for making the skill go on cool down without triggering.

"navigate with precision and agility over all kinds of terrain" - made me grin, while by cat was stuck on a branch on the ground in desert borderlands. ☺️

Edited by Gorani.7205
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 2

It does only jump unmounted player height in WvW. It's also known as the slowest mount, going about the same speed as a super speeded player unless the warclaw is leaping. The leap is short ranged to prevent exploits in WvW terrain. I kind of wish they had a video preview of the new mount to show off the speed, since I can only imagine the PvE version being better at mobility. An argument could be made that a siege turtle is more agile than a WvWarclaw. It's only natural for players to speculate it not being that great.

• Like 1

On 7/18/2024 at 11:06 AM, Parasite.5389 said:

likely only in PvE though; the wording in the blog post makes it sound like the WvW version will remain relatively unchanged outside of the listed changes to Chain pull, Sniff, and Lance

Yeah I think there will be a very big difference between the WvW Warclaw and the PvE Warclaw. I remember when the Warclaw released initially people were able to jump into towers like Quentin Lake from the side, so they nerfed the jump. If they would get this double jump in WvW then that exploit would be back again.

• Confused 1

I'll say it again: warclaw animations are the same as griffon and skyscale, so if you separate the deliberately nerfed WvW mobility from its potential PvE mobility, it's a lot easier to imagine it being an agile mount.

In fact, I suspect it's going to feel a lot like a griffon without the flight. They may tweak its jump height so that it can get higher than griffon does, but that already basically has a double-jump by having jump-flap, so that's kind of the vibe I'm imagining.

• Like 1

On 7/20/2024 at 2:59 AM, Gorani.7205 said:

And do not forget that trying to use the Battle Maul #1 skill on a downward slope or stairs going downward while doing a "hopp" has a high change for making the skill go on cool down without triggering.

This is the one that gets me. I'd be okayish with the glitchy execution if at least the fail didn't put the skill on cd . . .

"Travel through the wilds of Janthir with the updated warclaw mount." -

"During your time here, you will also learn of their relationship with your soon-to-be mount the Warclaw, which they call the “Journeykin”. These Journeykin play a pivotal role for the Kodan of Lowland shore as they are instrumental in their ability to traverse the terrains of Janthir as well as be the “work-Waclaw” of the Kodan to assist in the needs of utility and contest." - 

"While in Janthir, you’ll have the opportunity to forge a bond with a warclaw mount and train a new Mastery line that grants your warclaw new skills in PvE maps! The warclaw is a highly mobile mount that can navigate with precision and agility over all kinds of terrain, and it also boasts some unique combat and exploration abilities" - 

https://www.guildwars2.com/en/news/janthir-wilds-unleashed-the-enhanced-warclaw-mount/

Safe to say it has been redesigned (hopefully) and the PvE version is gonna have the WvW limitations lifted. Bonus points, people that didn't care about it may now look at the previously available skins in the gem store.

• Like 1
  • Confused 1

one thing to keep in mind is that the warclaw will be an alternative mount for players who lack any other expansions. this means it will likely be a "do everything" mount similar to the skyscale as the raptor, springer and so on haven't been unlocked for new players since end of dragons.

i imagine it will be faster than the raptor over rough terrain (similar to jackal) and able to scale vertical areas similar to the springer.

my one wish is that they make it able to go into the water, since most of the aquatic ranger pets are also feline. while it makes sense if this doesn't make it into pve, i feel like it badly needs to make it into wvw so you don't always get dismounted every time you touch a water puddle.

Edited by SoftFootpaws.9134
  • Confused 1

11 minutes ago, SoftFootpaws.9134 said:

one thing to keep in mind is that the warclaw will be an alternative mount for players who lack any other expansions. this means it will likely be a "do everything" mount similar to the skyscale as the raptor, spring and so on haven't been unlocked for new players since end of dragons.

i imagine it will be faster than the raptor over rough terrain (similar to jackal) and able to scale vertical areas similar to the springer.

I hope they don't make it too much jack of all trades. For example, springers should remain the mount that jumps the highest otherwise there is no point to them.

5 hours ago, Mistwraithe.3106 said:

I hope they don't make it too much jack of all trades. For example, springers should remain the mount that jumps the highest otherwise there is no point to them.

How would a jack of jumping jump higher than an ace of jumping? It wouldn't be a jack of all trades then, it would be the ace of a trade instead.

• Haha 1
  • Confused 1

On 7/22/2024 at 2:56 PM, Gehenna.3625 said:

Yeah I think there will be a very big difference between the WvW Warclaw and the PvE Warclaw. I remember when the Warclaw released initially people were able to jump into towers like Quentin Lake from the side, so they nerfed the jump. If they would get this double jump in WvW then that exploit would be back again.

Ah, yes, the warclaw. A living example of excessive nerfing. It was good at release. But then, they made it slower, removed the speedbuff in claimed territory, reduced the jump distance, removed the 3rd jump. It became useless. The only good things are the constant speed/movement rate (in & out of combat) and additional mount health bar.

Edited by AllNightPlayer.1286
  • Confused 1

The mount we have now is also described as a type of magical construct similar to jackals, the Exalted and Forged. That would kind of preclude the "raising a cute little kitten" vibe the post linked above has.

I wonder if they'll even bother to try resolving those lore issues with the new one, either by making this "Journeykin" some different beast altogether or doing some other hand-wavey dismissals because reasons. They've never really let that sort of thing stop them before.

Side note: any bets on how many mini warclaw cub variants will make it into the Gem Shop in time for Wintersday?

• Haha 1
  • Confused 2

A useful Warclaw in PVE... not sure how I feel about this. Back in the old day of completing daily events, when I triggered an event, popped up my apple and mounted my warclaw, people could join the event with confidence that at the very least.... I was not the type who could wipe creatures out before others got the chance. (Static events where a good time to use tea table and apple)

• Confused 3

27 minutes ago, KerryTT.4792 said:

A useful Warclaw in PVE... not sure how I feel about this. Back in the old day of completing daily events, when I triggered an event, popped up my apple and mounted my warclaw, people could join the event with confidence that at the very least.... I was not the type who could wipe creatures out before others got the chance. (Static events where a good time to use tea table and apple)

Then mount up your springer?

• Like 1

On 7/18/2024 at 8:28 AM, Manpag.6421 said:

We don't know to what extent they may tweak how it handles/feels in PvE

If they tweak it enough for it to match the description, it will turn into a completely different mount that the Warclaw we know. At this point it would be better to call it a different name...

• Confused 2