Homestead Doors are going to turn off new players, and ruin the open world that Arenanet has spent years creating.

1 minute ago, Sobx.1758 said:

After watching the first few minutes of the vod, I'm pretty sure there's a popup window on door interaction with an option to hide it.

Yes, the owner can hide it. Or the owner can choose to not hide it and troll others with it by blocking interaction with other items (like loot chests).

• Like 1
  • Confused 7

6 minutes ago, Ashantara.8731 said:

Yes, the owner can hide it. Or the owner can choose to not hide it and troll others with it by blocking interaction with other items (like loot chests).

No, it's not about the owner hiding it, it's about any player interacting with it being able to hide it through picking the option in the pop up. They addressed -and presented- it as part of "but what if someone decides to put it on a chest" question.

Edited by Sobx.1758
  • Like 5
  • Thanks 3
  • Confused 1

5 hours ago, Manpag.6421 said:

If their purpose is to allow people to ask to join a party to go to their homestead, something which the party owner controls anyway, then do they even need to be seen while in a party? Their purpose is basically to advertise to people not in your party.

If they were hidden while in a party by default, then the trolling potential goes down because most people in metas etc will be in a squad anyway.

No, that is what you think is its purpose. And it's OK for you if you want. For me, the portal is way to go to my homestead and back again, maybe with friends, maybe alone. Not a way to somebody tell me that wants to join me. I don't want to advertise anyone with my portal and I don't want to join anyone using their portal.

Edited by Derdhal.6908
  • Like 2
  • Confused 2

34 minutes ago, Derdhal.6908 said:

No, that is what you think is its purpose. And it's OK for you if you want. For me, the portal is way to go to my homestead and back again, maybe with friends, maybe alone. Not a way to somebody tell me that wants to join me. I don't want to advertise anyone with my portal and I don't want to join anyone using their portal.

You can't ignore half the functionality of something and then claim that the part you don't want to use isn't its purpose. Of course it's to get you to and from your homestead, that's a given. But the purpose of it being a visible, interactable object in the world is explicitly to allow others to join your party to go with you.

By all means, use your door as antisocially as you want and reject all party join requests in this massively multiplayer game, but don't act like facilitating party join requests isn't a core part of its design.

• Confused 4

48 minutes ago, Manpag.6421 said:

You can't ignore half the functionality of something and then claim that the part you don't want to use isn't its purpose. Of course it's to get you to and from your homestead, that's a given. But the purpose of it being a visible, interactable object in the world is explicitly to allow others to join your party to go with you.

By all means, use your door as antisocially as you want and reject all party join requests in this massively multiplayer game, but don't act like facilitating party join requests isn't a core part of its design.

I'm not asking for eliminate that functionality, I'm asking for a choice. It's not mandatory for the porpuse of giving access to your homestad. Let us decide if we want to use it that way or not. If I don't want to see portals in front of me because I don't want to join anyone and I don't care someone used that point to teleport to their homestad, let me decide it. If you want to see them and maybe join a party, fine, let you decide it. That's it.

Edited by Derdhal.6908
  • Like 4
  • Confused 1

Another good question to ask is that if the doors will be level unlocked? Such as needing to get to a certain level to swap weapons, be downed, etc.

If this is not the case. Then we will see placement of these doors in every major starter area, right in front of the spawn point after the tutorial. And, if allowed, even in the tutorial.

Edited by Kithrin.6807
  • Like 1
  • Confused 2

On 8/3/2024 at 11:25 AM, Pyre.2467 said:

Imagine you are a new player to Guild Wars 2. 

Okay, I'm a new player. I know nothing about the game, I start fresh. Go on.

You've just spent time creating your character, and you are now ready to bring your Human female into Tyria. You do the tutorial mission and are now fully prepared for a new adventure in a new world. 

Okay, I finished the tutorial and am ready to start into the world. Bring it on!

Then you load into Queensdale for the first time and the only thing you see is doors. Dozens and dozens of doors.

Okay, I see dozens of doors. I wonder what are they and why are they there.

First of all, there NEEDS to be a series of options for these, and either #1 or #2 should be the default:  
- Hide all Homestead Doors.
- Only show Homestead Doors of party members. 
- Show all Homestead Doors

Okay, but I'm a new player.
I just finished the tutorial, so I haven't set/checked any option at all.
I will see these doors anyway because I simply don't know that there is an option to hide them.
I don't even know that such doors even exist until I see them the first time.

So how exactly should these options "safe" me from seeing a bunch of doors when leaving the tutorial. This makes no sense.

Back to veteran view: Seriously, why should "dozens and dozens" of people gather up in Queensdale and spawn their doors for no reason?

I mean, think about it.
JW is freshly released, people want to play it. Also people have to play the story to some degree and farm xp to level their homestead mastery in order to even aquire the door.
And now you tell me "dozens and dozens" of people do that and gather up at the same time in Queensdale to spawn doors and... be afk (because if you leave your door vanishes)?
For what reason again?

Just look at the past, people said exactly the same about the turtle before EoD launch.
"It will block the view", "people will use it for trolling", "it will ruin new player's experience if there are dozens of them on the start maps" and so on.
And? Nothing. Such problems simply never appeared.
So tell me, what's the reason it will be different with JW's doors?

Your concerns simply are not happening in practice.

Another issue that is easily foreseeable if there are not 'hide options' is the issue of performance issues, and trolls amongst the playerbase. 

What makes you think so?

There are hundreds of placable, droppable and interactable items you can place in the world since release.
The door is not different, the bigger size doesn't require more performance.

A single player can drop 100+ interactale items to the ground with no impact to the maps' performance.
There is absolutely no base for your concern.

What is going to happen in every single meta event, expansion zones, and starter areas? They're going to be flooded with doors. 

Just like every city will be flooded with turtles that block bank NPCs etc.?
That's what people were concerned about before EoD launch.
And, noting happened.

Again, take a look at the past. There are hundreds of items and skills you can use to troll people and how often do you see them in reality?
Aside from TD and AB literally nowhere. And AB and TD are limited to portals and maybe merchants. Nothing about all the other hundreds of items.
You concern is purely theoretically. It simply doesn't happen in practice.

Doors are going to look awful. That's it. 

That's your personal taste, no argument.

None of your arguments have a valid base. They are purely theoretical but never apply in practice.
However, I do agree that an option to hide other player's portals would make sense.
But not because any of your arguments. Simply because some players might not want to see these doors. That's it and that's reason enough.

• Like 5
  • Thanks 1
  • Confused 5

Let me leave you with a video from Adam Savage on such an issue:

TL;DR:

Is this something you need to solve right now? Or will this get solved for you in the future?

The developers are already considering how to prevent trolling of loot chests, I'm pretty sure they will make adjustments to how and when doors are displayed if it's a serious issue (unless of its part of a monetization model, in which case you concerns will not sway them any way).

• Like 3
  • Confused 4

I know the title might sound a little over the top, but I genuinely think they are going to be extremely detrimental to the experience of Guild Wars 2.   

The New Player Experience 

Imagine you are a new player to Guild Wars 2. 
You've just spent time creating your character, and you are now ready to bring your Human female into Tyria. You do the tutorial mission and are now fully prepared for a new adventure in a new world. 
Then you load into Queensdale for the first time and the only thing you see is doors. Dozens and dozens of doors.  And we all know this will happen.

First of all, there NEEDS to be a series of options for these, and either #1 or #2 should be the default:  
- Hide all Homestead Doors.
- Only show Homestead Doors of party members. 
- Show all Homestead Doors

I think honestly that the reaction of most new players would be curiosity over what the door was and then investigate to find out what it was and when they found out it was housing that they could decorate a lot they would become more invested.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 2
  • Haha 1
  • Confused 1

This entire thread forgets that doors could be tied to a JW mastery track, so new players won't see doors because new players wouldn't have masteries. I mean they probably have enough information from all the events that just whisk you away... what about the DOOR to the mad king realm? So I have some expectation that ArenaNet has thought of this.

• Confused 3

11 minutes ago, Hsanrb.1570 said:

This entire thread forgets that doors could be tied to a JW mastery track, so new players won't see doors because new players wouldn't have masteries.

not quite how masteries work, thats like saying players that don't own EoD can't see Skiffs, or can't see players on mounts if they don't own an expansion

• Like 4

3 minutes ago, Parasite.5389 said:

not quite how masteries work, thats like saying players that don't own EoD can't see Skiffs, or can't see players on mounts if they don't own an expansion

We aren't talking about breaking immersion with flying/floating characters that look like hacks, were talking about a door/portal to get players to a new housing district, considering how often people make portals at jumping puzzles I wouldn't be surprised if they just make parts of the world anti-door (like JP's, metas, places of high traffic.) like they do with anti-flying/gliding sections of the world... or completely hide doors for people who don't own JW or the mastery (which is probably the very first mastery you get in JW.)

This thread is about NEW players, not "I own JW and now I literally see hallways of doors to navigate my way through the Chalice of Tears."

• Confused 3

5 minutes ago, Hsanrb.1570 said:

We aren't talking about breaking immersion with flying/floating characters that look like hacks, were talking about a door/portal to get players to a new housing district, considering how often people make portals at jumping puzzles I wouldn't be surprised if they just make parts of the world anti-door (like JP's, metas, places of high traffic.) like they do with anti-flying/gliding sections of the world... or completely hide doors for people who don't own JW or the mastery (which is probably the very first mastery you get in JW.)

This thread is about NEW players, not "I own JW and now I literally see hallways of doors to navigate my way through the Chalice of Tears."

still NOT how masteries work

• Haha 1

On 8/4/2024 at 5:52 PM, Sobx.1758 said:

No, it's not about the owner hiding it, it's about any player interacting with it being able to hide it through picking the option in the pop up. They addressed -and presented- it as part of "but what if someone decides to put it on a chest" question.

Just checked the video and this is correct. What's still unclear to me is, if this also applies to players that are not in a party (the option was something like "you are currently in a party, do you want to leave it and join the homestead party?" or sth. alike). Also, I hope they find a way before JW release for people not having to click "no, hide the door" a dozen times because some trolls find it funny to place them at certain spots...

• Like 1

14 minutes ago, Nash.2681 said:

Also, I hope they find a way before JW release for people not having to click "no, hide the door" a dozen times because some trolls find it funny to place them at certain spots...

on the other hand, if you get someone trolling, give them a taste of their own medicine and repeatedly make join party requests.
imagine the poor troll at the end of octovine, getting 50+ join requests, i see that as a pretty good deterent.

it should also be noted; if you Block a player, you'll never see their door (and i belielve the opposite is true as well.)

Edited by Parasite.5389
  • Like 2
  • Haha 1
  • Confused 1

OP has a reasonable question, but is taking it to extremes.

I suspect Anet are hoping for players to see the doors and for that to drive a bit of extra engagement with (and sales of) the new expansion.

I would also hope that they have given this some thought and have some ideas for how to improve things if OPs fears came to pass. Seems to me there are some fairly easy solutions to the problem if it got bad enough for Anet to act.

• Like 2

Well, I don't work for Arenanet so I don't have why to worry of the first impression of their products, in my case I'm happy and excited for the new homstead feature, and I didn't though in go to Queensdale to place any door. I think it's more likely that I open them in Lions Arch or in Wizard's tower. And I think like me, most of the players that are already level 80, will neither waste time in go to the noobs spawns from Queensdale  to put any door there.

There may be the case of a veteran player, creates a new character and the first he does is go to the homestead, but I don't fear this being something exagerated as to be worried. (Besides when I create new characters, usually what I do is use the 80level up so he is teleported to silverwastes).

In conclusion, I don't share the fear of crowded door in the starting areas.

Edited by Adngel.9786
  • Like 2
  • Confused 1

17 hours ago, Parasite.5389 said:

it should also be noted; if you Block a player, you'll never see their door (and i belielve the opposite is true as well.)

The opposite is how I want it to be for every player. I don't want anyone to see my door and be given an opportunity to easily ask me for a party invite. If that happens once, it'll be one time too many. They should add an option for a player to make his doors invisible to all players not already in his party.

• Like 3
  • Thanks 3

Imo they should be able to be restricted to people in the own party only. (Not visible to others.) At least as an option. I get that it might annoy in open world - for other players that see them (and do not have the expansion yet). What bothers me more: In some thread/description it seemed like anyone could just interact with it and it would sent you a party invitation request or something  like that.

And that could lead to more "spam" if everyone troll clicks to send you that request. (Wonder if it is possible to restrict it at release already. Can't just block every player. The easiest wouild be to tie it to the chat thing: Invisible and you can't be whispert - should others not let interact with the door.)

• Like 1
  • Thanks 2

4 hours ago, Manasa Devi.7958 said:

The opposite is how I want it to be for every player. I don't want anyone to see my door and be given an opportunity to easily ask me for a party invite. If that happens once, it'll be one time too many. They should add an option for a player to make his doors invisible to all players not already in his party.

it will be like turtle, u can disable other player join it.

anyway theres many others features like that(like skiff parties) and i don't see a social intrusion nightmare happening.

Edited by ugrakarma.9416
  • Like 1
  • Confused 1

4 hours ago, Manasa Devi.7958 said:

why would you be spending anything more than a few ssecond in front of your door.

just summon it and walk through, problem solved

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

4 hours ago, Parasite.5389 said:

why would you be spending anything more than a few ssecond in front of your door.

just summon it and walk through, problem solved

I was under the impression that the door persist when you go to your homestead. Why make a door at all if it doesn't? Seems completely pointless.

• Like 2