Why a legendary backpack?

We already have three legendary backpacks to choose from, one for each game mode (WvW, PvP and PvE). 

Why are we getting a fourth one exactly?

Would've preferred by far a new legendary ring or accessory. There's only two of them for each and they are tied to specific game modes.

For rings, if you don't raid (Coalescence) which most people don't do, or don't want to farm WvW for weeks on end (5 minimum weeks of grind for Conflux), there's no third alternative through open world, PvP or Strike / Fractal / Convergence. 

For accessories, there's only Aurora and Vision, both of which are open world LWS trinkets. The game could really use a PvP / WvW or instanced PvE accessory. 

Personally, I would've loved to see a new Fractal trinket (ring or accessory), given that the only legendary tied to Fractal is Ad Infinitum. Or maybe a Strike legendary? To be honest, I've never done Strikes because I don't see the reward of those since there's no legendary, but maybe I'm not informed enough about Strikes. 

• Like 6
  • Thanks 4
  • Confused 6

8 minutes ago, Jeyzer.1605 said:

We already have three legendary backpacks to choose from, one for each game mode (WvW, PvP and PvE). 

Why are we getting a fourth one exactly?

Would've preferred by far a new legendary ring or accessory. There's only two of them for each and they are tied to specific game modes.

For rings, if you don't raid (Coalescence) which most people don't do, or don't want to farm WvW for weeks on end (5 minimum weeks of grind for Conflux), there's no third alternative through open world, PvP or Strike / Fractal / Convergence. 

For accessories, there's only Aurora and Vision, both of which are open world LWS trinkets. The game could really use a PvP / WvW or instanced PvE accessory. 

Personally, I would've loved to see a new Fractal trinket (ring or accessory), given that the only legendary tied to Fractal is Ad Infinitum. Or maybe a Strike legendary? To be honest, I've never done Strikes because I don't see the reward of those since there's no legendary, but maybe I'm not informed enough about Strikes. 

to put it simply none of them is a openworld legendry backpack.

• Like 18
  • Sad 1

19 minutes ago, Linken.6345 said:

what do you mean a ring ofcourse it will be 2 if the first one is not like the wvw ring.

Backpack definite.  A ring in the future could be introduced to a different mode, I'm not sure what your question is?  I didn't say a definite two legendaries?  In the future, a ring is a possibility as well, this time they chose a back.

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, Farohna.6247 said:

Backpack definite.  A ring in the future could be introduced to a different mode, I'm not sure what your question is?  I didn't say a definite two legendaries?  In the future, a ring is a possibility as well, this time they chose a back.

What I mean they would not stop with 1 of the slots, it would be either 2 different ones so open world pve can get everything or you can craft two of the first one to equip in both slots.

2 minutes ago, Linken.6345 said:

What I mean they would not stop with 1 of the slots, it would be either 2 different ones so open world pve can get everything or you can craft two of the first one to equip in both slots.

Ahhhh gotcha, sorry was not following.  

There are many of us still waiting for legendary aquatic breathers too. Was kinda hoping they would do that this expansion or when they announced the new account bound swim infusion, woulda been nice to have it released at that time as well. 

• Like 5
  • Confused 2

Yeah, I have full legendary, so I don't need anything else but I'm planning to get the two Janthir Wilds Legendaries because... why not? Legendary equipment is a huge part of what these expansions offer and these will offer something new in terms of skins.

When they inevitably offer OW rings in a future expansion then I hope they come up with a new set of effects for them, maybe they build on the blobs from Aurora and Vision but they should have a separate style from the existing rings.

• Like 3

16 hours ago, Linken.6345 said:

to put it simply none of them is a openworld legendry backpack.

I mean surely that should be lower priority than rings and accessories, which you have way less options for, and need 2 of each? Even an open world ring would've been more useful. 

13 hours ago, Zily.3152 said:

There are many of us still waiting for legendary aquatic breathers too.

That REALLY needs to happen, but they'll likely save it for an underwater expac, if that ever comes to light. Or a water themed expac (breather should've come with Cantha tbh).

• Like 1
  • Confused 1

I'll just take them adding a Openworld leggy backpack as the first step to making all trinkets available in all four game modes. Yes, four: PvP, Wvw, Openworld and EGC (endgame content, i.e. fractals, raids, and to some degree strikes).

We now have legendary armor for all four game modes. The backpack is the first step to having the first legendary trinket in all four game modes. Hopefully they'll eventually release a WvW and EGC amulet, and an PvP and Openworld ring (or even better: two PvP and Openworld rings and another Coalescence), and PvP, WvW and EGC accessories.

• Like 1
  • Confused 1

1 hour ago, Omega.6801 said:

aaaaand it will require playing the new raid and the new convergences, maybe even some CMs, why not...

Will it? Might just require map completion, open world drops and tons of Rifts like the SotO Legendaries: no raids/strikes or CMs needed for those.

• Like 1

13 minutes ago, Pifil.5193 said:

Will it? Might just require map completion, open world drops and tons of Rifts like the SotO Legendaries: no raids/strikes or CMs needed for those.

Nothing is confirmed afaik and I was making a joke mostly. On the other hand, they never stated that it would be obtainable open world only either and, different from SotO, where no new Raid or Strike was coming out, a new Raid is coming out with JW.

• Haha 1
  • Confused 2

On 8/14/2024 at 6:24 AM, quake.9023 said:

should have been a lege underwater piece. id go for that just to have it. i wont bother with backpiece cause already got leg 

Ditto. An underwater breather would have been something, but I have no need for a back item, unless it has the greatest design ever. 😄 Which I doubt, and I won't fall for the same trap again after the Obsidian Armor. 😠

• Confused 3

More legend backpacks? bring it on. More Options More choices More customization More fashion = a core feature of  GW2.

While the (original) backpack themselves have a unique visual style; their zero-dye-ability doesn't really help in creating a fully unique styled character suitable to your personal tastes.

We end up  using generic color scheme's for other armor pieces just to match those backpacks colors in some meaning full way that doesn't seem "disjointed" from an outside fashion perpective. Either that or we end up having to reskin them with dye-channel backpacks. Which is strange a notion; when you started the Backpack journey it was mostly like not with the thought "i am making this legendary backpack just to reskin it later cause i cant dye the colors to match the rest of my armor color scheme"

I don't think its impossible to make a revision of those backpacks to support dye channels. (a lot of people wear them... they are a special but at the same time they are not; cause there is no other option to truly make them "your backpack" in some manner.   Its like everyone is wearing each others backpack.  Dye channel could greatly assist with solving this alot.

They are old-coded yes and appear to be using pre-made texture maps(the "multi colored stained glass" in the pvp backpack wings for instance)

, but that shouldn't be gating the possibility of making them truly versatile for current and new player's fashion creations.

If the new backpack is of the same refined style like the "original ones" + it has dye channels; there is hope still yet that the old backpacks might get same treatment.

If the reasoning was to "preserve the artistic vision"; that shouldn't be a problem either... they could add a alternate skin of the original which has dye channels implemented. Players could then choose between the Original color scheme ; or go for their own version.

• Like 1
  • Confused 1

I'm picturing a bunch of big Kodans gathered around a campfire, eager to listen to an epic tale of how their legendary Kodan felled mighty beasts for his new legendary.

Titan Crusher Kodan: Behold, my beautiful ring. Look at the glitter. Isn't it pretty?

Young Kodan: Wow, that's quality jewelry!

Titan Crusher Kodan: Thanks.

Edited by BlueJin.4127
  • Haha 2

On 8/14/2024 at 5:08 PM, Omega.6801 said:

aaaaand it will require playing the new raid and the new convergences, maybe even some CMs, why not...

raids and CMs are what OW players want to avoid at all cost. Convergences, however, are fine. They're essentially an OW meta but in a separate instance. I feel like that might be their approach to convergences in JaWi.

• Like 2
  • Confused 1

5 minutes ago, Krzysztof.5973 said:

We are getting open world backpack because there is too many people playing this game who are abhorrently scared of participating in a piece of content that you have to LFG for. God forbid actually interacting with other players. 

Don't be so judgmental; those are the masses who keep this game afloat for all of us to enjoy.

• Like 3
  • Confused 1