Why are decoration resources TIME GATED?!

Time gating decoration resources?!

Who in ANET thought this was a good idea?! Why in the WORLD would you timegate a COMPLETELY AESTHETIC feature?!

You can only buy X amount of resources A WEEK needed to craft decorations...

You aren't time gating a PROGRESSION item, it is nothing but aesthetic!

We have waited TWELVE YEARS for Homesteads... don't timegate our ability to decorate it. What an AWFUL decision. In no MMO anywhere that has player housing have they time gated your ability to decorate.

Otherwise Homesteads are AMAZING! What was the logical reasoning behind timegating it?!

After waiting 12 years for player housing, I am IRRATIONALLY mad about this... this is so counter intuitive to what people have asked for it's absolutely mystifying...

• Like 25
  • Haha 2
  • Confused 9
  • Sad 1

I have not been in the Homestead myself yet, but from what I remember from the preview live stream, I think the acquisition method you are referring to is just a bonus source for those materials, right?

Can't you use your materials from the bank storage? :classic_huh:

• Like 3
  • Haha 1

This feature alone deleted my interest in homestead.
I don't see why they're doing this. Even from a greedy corpo-goblin point of view.

Unless they plan to sell us these resources from the gemstore.... Now that would make sense.

• Like 6
  • Thanks 1
  • Confused 7
  • Sad 1

I think personally that they've added the time gate so that the prices on the trading post don't explode and probably also made it this way so that it feels more like an accomplishment once you have enough recourses to decorate your hall fully. 

I'm not a fan of it either but it does encourage me to head back into the world to farm honey flowers and Janthir logs (or how they're called, I forgot.) etc. 

Edit:

I do think however that the recipes for crafting could maybe a be a bit adjusted so that less of the materials are needed? 

Edited by Mystflower.7319
  • Like 8
  • Confused 1

1 hour ago, Ashantara.8731 said:

I have not been in the Homestead myself yet, but from what I remember from the preview live stream, I think the acquisition method you are referring to is just a bonus source for those materials, right?

Can't you use your materials from the bank storage? :classic_huh:

Nope... every single decoration requires ONE time gated material (One you have to refine in the Homestead which you can only do X amount per week).

• Like 5
  • Confused 4

There is a total purchase cap with optional capacity upgrades.There are also a caps per material spending, so you can't just use the cheapest materials if you want to reach the total cap.

Perhaps they wanted us to consume all resources and not just things like green wood logs?

• Like 5

32 minutes ago, Quench.7091 said:

There is a total purchase cap with optional capacity upgrades.There are also a caps per material spending, so you can't just use the cheapest materials if you want to reach the total cap.

Perhaps they wanted us to consume all resources and not just things like green wood logs?

There is as cap on total refinements no matter which material you use...

• Like 4
  • Confused 2

2 hours ago, Pinkeh.4207 said:

Guess they don't want you to finish decorating the homestead in the first week.

Why?! We've wanted this for TWELVE YEARS... Longer if you count GW1! It's ridiculous to timegate something that a) isn't progressive and b) doesn't provide a competitive edge! Why do they give a kitten if we decorate it in the first week? There will always be MORE decorations... new ones... seasonal ones... trust me when I say this, for those that really enjoy decorating, you are NEVER finished...

• Like 6
  • Thanks 1
  • Confused 4

11 hours ago, Mystflower.7319 said:

I think personally that they've added the time gate so that the prices on the trading post don't explode and probably also made it this way so that it feels more like an accomplishment once you have enough recourses to decorate your hall fully. 

I'm not a fan of it either but it does encourage me to head back into the world to farm honey flowers and Janthir logs (or how they're called, I forgot.) etc. 

Edit:

I do think however that the recipes for crafting could maybe a be a bit adjusted so that less of the materials are needed? 

You can still view the recipes and buy the mats you need... prices will swell regardless...

• Like 2
  • Confused 4

17 hours ago, Solomon Darkfury.3729 said:

That doesn't stop you from purchasing the mats lol

No, but limiting the use of the mats reduces the urgency of purchasing them, allowing for a more steady adjustment in their value as opposed to a potential overnight seismic shift in the economy. If players can't use them immediately, they're less likely to buy them.

• Thanks 1
  • Sad 1

23 hours ago, Mystflower.7319 said:

Can you elaborate on that last line there? What's the connection between farming honey flowers and Anet time gating our ability to get the refined resources? I know that we can use the honey flowers to upgrade the trading efficiency, but that's a one time thing that also doesn't solve the issue of being time gated. Are they used for something else/am I missing something?

I also don't understand how the time gate can illicit a sense of accomplishment, when all we're doing is waiting for the next week? I get a sense of accomplishment through active effort (at least in this context), and having to wait until next week before I can continue decorating is kind of the opposite of active effort.

Edited by meerfunkuhtron.9725
  • Like 2

3 hours ago, XSevSpreeX.2143 said:

No, but limiting the use of the mats reduces the urgency of purchasing them, allowing for a more steady adjustment in their value as opposed to a potential overnight seismic shift in the economy. If players can't use them immediately, they're less likely to buy them.

21 hours ago, Emberheart.8426 said:

So that mats don't suddenly jump to 10x the previous price on the tp. Pretty obvious really.

I can see this reasoning, but I feel conflicted about this stuff. On one hand, I don't think time gating was the best answer simply because it feels bad from a gameplay perspective, and Anet knows from previous experience how much their playerbase hate the time gates (re: why they had to tone down Skyscale's time gates and part of why they had to make a new way of acquiring that mount through SotO). Anet is by far the one game I have the most progress in because we're allowed to grind and work for what we want with little to no barriers, except in rare occurrences. So this feels extra bad because it's simply not something I expect out of this game in general.

On the other hand, the only ideas that come to mind in terms of avoiding heavy inflation, tend to come with the cost of making the process more grindy/difficult. Like requiring a material that only drops from certain bosses. Or perhaps something like a rare spawn of Janthir specific materials, similar to the honey flowers but rarer, could be required for crafting decorations.
If we go by what Spree says, then shouldn't something like this keep people from mass purchasing from the TP if they can't use them without acquiring these rare components first?
The problem is, I'm not sure if this would feel better than getting time gated. I know that for me, I'd prefer this over the current system, but the larger playerbase might feel differently.

2 hours ago, meerfunkuhtron.9725 said:

Can you elaborate on that last line there? What's the connection between farming honey flowers and Anet time gating our ability to get the refined resources? I know that we can use the honey flowers to upgrade the trading efficiency, but that's a one time thing that also doesn't solve the issue of being time gated. Are they used for something else/am I missing something?

I also don't understand how the time gate can illicit a sense of accomplishment, when all we're doing is waiting for the next week? I get a sense of accomplishment through active effort (at least in this context), and having to wait until next week before I can continue decorating is kind of the opposite of active effort.

Honey flowers are also used in some of the decoration recipes. I'm not online right now so I can't say which. The same goes for the logs. I'll edit this message once I'm back home from work. 

The sense of accomplishment would come from having to work for things. In the days that you have to wait you can farm more mats for the items you wish to craft next. Like for example, if you want to craft the basic tree (the green one with the pot) you'll have (if you don't have many of them yet) farm geodes in the dry top because you'll need those to buy the brick of clay which you need in the tree recipe. 

And I think this is what Anet meant when they spoke about wanting us to go out into the world and do things. Plus just keep in mind, things will only be timegated at the start. Once you have all the decorations you want, you won't even notice the time gate anymore.

But then again, like I said in my other post, I'm not a fan of it either but sorta can understand why Anet did it.

So far my homestead is slowly starting to look nice, the only thing that I wonder about is how to unlock the racing track recipes so I can use them as walls. It would have been nice to have a little bit more guidance on how to unlock more recipes besides the heart npcs and combining homestead mats to get a mystery recipe unlocked. 

Edited by Mystflower.7319
  • Like 1

1 hour ago, Mystflower.7319 said:

Honey flowers are also used in some of the decoration recipes. I'm not online right now so I can't say which. The same goes for the logs. I'll edit this message once I'm back home from work. 

The sense of accomplishment would come from having to work for things. In the days that you have to wait you can farm more mats for the items you wish to craft next. Like for example, if you want to craft the basic tree (the green one with the pot) you'll have (if you don't have many of them yet) farm geodes in the dry top because you'll need those to buy the brick of clay which you need in the tree recipe. 

And I think this is what Anet meant when they spoke about wanting us to go out into the world and do things. Plus just keep in mind, things will only be timegated at the start. Once you have all the decorations you want, you won't even notice the time gate anymore.

But then again, like I said in my other post, I'm not a fan of it either but sorta can understand why Anet did it.

So far my homestead is slowly starting to look nice, the only thing that I wonder about is how to unlock the racing track recipes so I can use them as walls. It would have been nice to have a little bit more guidance on how to unlock more recipes besides the heart npcs and combining homestead mats to get a mystery recipe unlocked. 

In quote to myself, I've looked up the recipes that need the honey flowers and the logs (combined with other mats): 
Honey flowers:
Journeyman decorations:
Kodan Hammock - 12 honey flowers
Floral Canthan Rug - 10 honey flowers
Apprentice Decorations:
Tranquil Birdbath - 6 honey flowers
Planter Box - 15 honey flowers
Kodan Painting - 5 honey flowers
Kodan Ivory Couch - 20 honey flowers
Initiate Decorations:
Kodan Timber Stool - 5 honey flowers
Kodan Swirl Rug - 8 honey flowers
Kodan Woodsy Armchair -  15 honey flowers
Novice decorations:
Kodan Decorative Torch - 6 honey flowers
Kodan Fancy Bed - 15 honey flowers
Traditional Kodan Bed - 10 honey flowers.

Lowland Pine Logs:
Journeyman decorations:
Large Elonian Planter - 10 lowland pine logs
Kodan Woodsy Cabinet (high) - 9 lowland pine logs
Kodan Bone Bookshelf - 10 lowland pine logs
Kodan Refined End Table - 8 lowland pine logs
Apprentice Decorations:
Red Bowl of Food - 5 lowland pine logs
Kodan Writing Desk - 12 lowland pine logs
Kodan Woodsy Cabinet (tall) - 16 lowland pine logs
Kodan Table Setting - 5 lowland pine logs
Red bowl - 5 lowland pine logs
Kodan Cottage Wall (small) 6 lowland pine logs
Kodan Cottage Wall - 5 lowland pine logs
Kodan Cottage Wall (Pillar) - 4 lowland pine logs
Small Elonian Planter - 5 lowland pine logs
Initiate decorations:
Kodan Joined Wooden Divider - 12 lowland pine logs
Kodan Decorative Wardrobe - 10 lowland Pine logs
Kodan Soup Kettle - 6 lowland pine logs
Kodan Vanity - 8 lowland pine logs
Novice decorations:
Kodan Dining Chair - 10 lowland pine logs
Kodan Woodsy Dining Table - 10 lowland pine logs
Kodan Woodsy Trunk - 10 lowland pine logs
Kodan Woodsy Cabinet - 10 lowland pine logs
Kodan Crystal Candle - 8 lowland pine logs.

• Thanks 1

Another thing that's currently shocking me is the limit. Remember, this area is huge and going up high as hell.

If I read this right, we can only use 250 pieces of each item to build up.

And the biggest thing seems to be only 1000 decorations for the whole area and 360 already pre-used from the current setup. So we can build up only about 700 more items for this total place ? Did I read this right?

22 hours ago, Pinkeh.4207 said:

Guess they don't want you to finish decorating the homestead in the first week.

God forbid letting people play at their own pace, be it one hour per month or a large (and probably unhealthy) amount of hours per day. But playtime padding is the norm, sadly.

• Like 2
  • Confused 1

• 3 weeks later...
1 minute ago, Skye Terrier.3805 said:

Would someone let me know where exactly to buy the bricks of clay or recipe for same?  I am having a devil of a time finding anything but old wiki pages that it was an unobtainable resource in GW1.  And then a few mentions in this forum. 

Dry Top

Edited by yoni.7015

To me, the far more interesting question is, whether ANet plans on adjusting the conversion multipliers with updates (e.g. how much T3, T4, T5 wood you need to spend to get one refined homestead wood)? The material conversions for Bazaar of the Four Winds changes every year, so could (should?) the homestead prices.

• Like 1

On 8/22/2024 at 8:40 AM, Miriam.9241 said:

Another thing that's currently shocking me is the limit. Remember, this area is huge and going up high as hell.

If I read this right, we can only use 250 pieces of each item to build up.

And the biggest thing seems to be only 1000 decorations for the whole area and 360 already pre-used from the current setup. So we can build up only about 700 more items for this total place ? Did I read this right?

You can build 250 of every item but you can only place 1k total items which is ridiculous...

• Confused 3